More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 22:43:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Hurricane Katrina
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 122375 times)
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Hurricane Katrina
« on: 2005 August 27, 20:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey y'all. I will be AWOL for several days. Hurricane Katrina is being a bitch and appears to be heading our way. We'll be vacating the premises and staying with friends in Texas. Bah.

Anyone else along the Gulf Coast, please stay safe.
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
Re: Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 27, 21:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good Luck To You!

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 27, 21:28:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stay safe and take care hope to see you on here again soon.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
humybyrd
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 27, 21:39:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take care, been through a few and they are no joke.  Put your electronics up high just in case (I had my whole computer on one shelf of my closet in the last one I went through.)

I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own.
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 27, 22:56:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good thoughts and prayers with you, Reggi.   Shocked  I know what you're going through:  The week after we moved to Eastern NC, Hurricane Floyd came by to welcome us properly!   Sad  Let us know you and the family are okay as soon as you can. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 27, 23:59:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys don't know how to build homes, obviously. If you're in a hurricane area, what you SHOULD be building is a reinforced airtight biodome. One thick enough that it can withstand hurled cars, stray bullets, cannonballs, etc. with no damage. Honestly, why is it that people don't learn to build appropriately in accordance with the hazards of their environment?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 28, 00:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if this is the same one that recently caused havoc in Uruguay, where it was totally unexpected?  They aren't a normal occurrence there, any more than they are in the south of England.

Hope everything works out and your pc keeps safe and dry!

Zephyr Zodiac
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 28, 00:18:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I hope you stay safe and that you aren't very impressionable and watch the TV weatherpersons who stand on the beach and urge everyone to stay the hell away from the beaches.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 28, 00:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of these days these weathrpersons will get into something they can't get out of!

Zephyr Zodiac
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 28, 00:31:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of these days these weathrpersons will get into something they can't get out of!

I don't know.  They're all a bunch of habitual liars, so they could probably get out of anything short of murder.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 28, 00:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Over here in the UK they're just gullible and believe what the Met Office tell them!  I can remember listening to a radio weatherman telling everyone the sun was shining and would continue to do so all day while all of Central London was in the middle of a thunderstorm and the rain was coming down in buckets!  He obviously had a windowless basement office!

Zephyr Zodiac
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 28, 01:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, we're back to a play it by ear stance. It looks like Katrina may be taking a slight northward turn. I've actually never evacuated for a hurricane and I've lived in the New Orleans area my entire life. I was around for Hurricane Betsy, the last big hurricane to hit New Orleans, in 1965. My main concern was my kindergarten homework not getting done. I did it by hurricane lamp at the kitchen table while the storm raged outside. Yes, I was a very strange child.

A direct hit by a Category 4 storm is worth getting out of the way of, but below that and I feel safe enough in staying. Of course, we live 80 miles inland and our area is a whole 15 ft above sea-level (Woo!). And we're inside the hurricane protection levee system, so storm surge isn't really an issue. The city of New Orleans is a whole other issue, as it is basically a soup bowl which is surrounded by water *and* is 10 ft below sea-level. There simply isn't anywhere for the water to go. My prediction is a Biloxi/Gulfport or Pass Christian/Bay St Louis, MS landfall.

So, I'm here until tomorrow for sure, anyway. If I do disappear for a few days, it's probably because we're without power.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 28, 01:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We'll keep a look out for you!

Zephyr Zodiac
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 28, 02:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys don't know how to build homes, obviously. If you're in a hurricane area, what you SHOULD be building is a reinforced airtight biodome. One thick enough that it can withstand hurled cars, stray bullets, cannonballs, etc. with no damage. Honestly, why is it that people don't learn to build appropriately in accordance with the hazards of their environment?

JM, if I had the budget I would be quite happy to build a bunker capable of withstanding a nuclear holocaust (and then invite you over to inspect it), but I don't. I am broke. Poverty stricken actually. So, unfortunately, I will continue on in my crappy home that is very vulnerable to the weather (among other things). I would love to be better prepared.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 28, 02:16:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem with finances, but luckily hurricanes are not frequent here, just the tail-ends of US ones when they've crossed the Atlantic!  However, we do still get a lot of storm damage and some parts of the country where they've built new estates on flood plains have dreadful problems with flooding.  I'm lucky in that the city where I live is fairly high up, and also is networked underneath with mine workings so water has somewhere to go, but everywhere in the UK is getting wetter, so there could well come a time when whole areas of the country are underwater permanently!  And unless you can afford a submarine, you would have no choice but to move and before long insurance companies are going to class this kind of thing as an "Act of God" and refuse to pay out!

Zephyr Zodiac
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 28, 04:48:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, the homes in the New Orleans area tend to survive just fine. We have many 200+ year old buildings that have made it through numerous hurricanes. The problem is the water. Hurricane Audrey in the late 1950's left behind over 20 ft of water in some parts of the city. People drowned in their attics. As I said in my other post, New Orleans is a very soggy soup bowl. When that much water is dumped on the city, it has nowhere to go. There are massive pumping stations that constantly work to keep the city dry, but if the power is compromised, well, you get the picture. Plus, geography can work against the pumps. They pump water out into Lake Pontchartrain, which in turn, empties into the gulf, which is exactly where the storm surge will come from. Water won't run in both directions. In these cases, nature tends to win.

Despite the occasional threat of a storm, this is still the best place in the world to live. Tongue
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 28, 11:33:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Bitch has strengthened. Over and out from N.O. Will be back when I can.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 28, 17:43:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Best wishes from here in CA for you all to remain safe and well.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 28, 18:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure the historical society in New Orleans would have no problem with that, JM!  Wink

We in Houston are thrilled about the hurricane...our hotels are all booked up with Creoles!  Cheesy
Seriously, though, I hope everything goes well for Louisiana...I love Nolas (especially the window at Molly's and the gumbo at Coop's!)

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 28, 19:09:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

reggikko, I hope you're well out of the way by now.  I just saw this thread and turned on the weather channel to see where she finally decided to head - OMG!

I moved to NC just in time for Fran back in '95.  The winds reminded me of a typical IA blizzard, so I wasn't too worried. (Our big problem was the threat of a tornado.)  And I live 2 hours from the beach, so most hurricanes don't wind up being very strong by the time they get here.  Last year, we got the remnants of 7 of the hurricanes that hit FLA and the gulf coast, and the rain, rain, rain was bad enough.  But seeing the storm damage on tv gives you a huge respect for Mother Nature.

I can't believe how big that bitch got in the last 24 hours.  Hope you are all safe and sound!

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 28, 23:53:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck.  May my namesake not cause too much damage  Smiley

<insert witty comment here>
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 29, 19:52:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure the historical society in New Orleans would have no problem with that, JM!  Wink
It's kind of pointless to have a historical society when nothing in the area can be more than 2 years old because it gets destroyed every other year.

In fact, I hear at this moment, the sea has reclaimed New Orleans and the place no longer exists.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 29, 20:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They need to get some dutchmen over to teach them how to put their fingers into the holes in dykes!

Zephyr Zodiac
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 29, 20:52:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw the "French Quarter" on TV a little while ago, and it looked soggy and windy, but the buildings looked okay for the most part.  

I too wish I had the money to build an industructable bio-dome!  I'd never come out!  LOL

The government is using this to jack up the gasoline prices some more.   Angry Angry Angry
Anyone else see this movie besides my Hubby?  
http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/oilstorm/main.html

More prayers and good thoughts for the people of the Gulf Coast.  Katrinia really is a nasty one!!  Hope you're okay, Reggie!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 29, 22:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought about you, Reg, when I saw that Katrina was headed for your area. Hope you're okay. We've got tornado warnings going on all around us from this storm. It's pitch black outside! I am in Atlanta, too, pretty far from the coast.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: