More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:51:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Crash to desktop
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Crash to desktop  (Read 42219 times)
alisoniam
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Crash to desktop
« on: 2009 November 28, 06:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just installed AM with base game, patched to 1.7.9, but everytime I try to load, the game crashes to desktop as soon as the green loading bar is full. I have other mods (no core mods) game works fine with those, but not AM. If I take AM out, it works fine.

I reinstalled the framework after patching.

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me nuts, I really want to play.
Scatterlung
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
CAS crash.
« Reply #1 on: 2009 November 28, 11:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So whenever I'm in CAS, the game likes to exit completely when I click something. It's usually completely random. I might click on a certain outfit or save the sim and it'll crash to desktop.

I'm running the Beta Awesomemod, with WA (2.2 patch, I think?). Any ideas?
Crysill
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: CAS crash.
« Reply #2 on: 2009 November 28, 11:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: It appears the post I replied to was merged into a completely unrelated problem. Just clarifying that this is a reply to Scatterlung's post above this, not the OP.

What convenient timing. This just happened to me a few minutes ago and I didn't think anything of it. It isn't particularly a problem for me (it has only occurred once, after all), but I would like to mention that it's not only the OP with that issue.

As far as what is behind it: All I can say is that when I encountered the crash I did have some custom clothing, although the crashes aren't consistent enough to suggest that any specific items could be causing them.
« Last Edit: 2009 November 29, 02:32:12 by Crysill » Logged
Scatterlung
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: CAS crash.
« Reply #3 on: 2009 November 28, 13:10:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It happened about fives to me.

The first time was when I selected a custom hairstyle, and then when I selected custom clothing. After that, it was just went I clicked the Everyday-wear tab and when I tried to save.

But it's so sporadic and random, it's hard to pin-point it, but it definitely only started when I installed the new patch.
cyberwitch
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Crash to desktop
« Reply #4 on: 2009 November 28, 23:50:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just installed AM with my 1.79, no WA, no custom content game and after 5 minutes or so of normal gaming the game crashes to the desktop. Advice?
Shazaam
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 November 29, 01:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just installed AM with base game, patched to 1.7.9, but everytime I try to load, the game crashes to desktop as soon as the green loading bar is full. I have other mods (no core mods) game works fine with those, but not AM. If I take AM out, it works fine.

I reinstalled the framework after patching.

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me nuts, I really want to play.

I get the same problem, it crash as soon as the green loading bar is full.

Does anyone has solution for this?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 November 29, 02:22:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, my suggestion would be to revert to a standardized configuration like the one I use, since it doesn't happen to me. Given that the loading process is completely non-interactive, the only real cause of an unexplained crash at this point is that you have some piece of incompatible content that I don't.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
alisoniam
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 November 29, 09:00:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. I've tried running no mods at except AM, and still the crash. I'll set aside some time in the next few days to try a complete re-install I think, and start again. Maybe that will help.
Froggie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 November 29, 19:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the newest update and ONLY awesome mod..and I am crashing to desktop after about 10 minutes of play. I uninstalled last nite and it played fine. Reinstalled today..and more crashes..can anyone help me?..I really want this mod, but it doesnt seem to like me.

ummm..yea...so I dont know what to put here...
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2009 November 30, 01:21:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I  can't even have the framework installed, let alone awesome mod. If I install the framework, and consequently the .dll, I get crash to desktop (with no mods or cc at all). My error logs seem to indicate its that d3dx9.dll at fault. I'm running windows 7.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 November 30, 02:00:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I  can't even have the framework installed, let alone awesome mod. If I install the framework, and consequently the .dll, I get crash to desktop (with no mods or cc at all). My error logs seem to indicate its that d3dx9.dll at fault. I'm running windows 7.

Try another .dll file from else where, the one you have may be corrupted, and don't forget you also need the resource.cfg file.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and am using the same .dll and resource.cfg file I got from Delphy's Monkey Installer Helper way back with the base game, and no problems.  I just did the copy and paste to replicate the same .dll and.cfg files into the same location in the WA folders and like magic, everything worked first time.

My suggestion, uninstall everything, completely, re-install the base game, run Delphy's Monkey Installer, patch, install WA, patch again, then copy the .dll file and .cfg file from the base game (where the installer helper will put them) to the same location in the WA folders.

Also check MTS as Delphy may have updated the installer for WA, I don't know because I haven't checked recently.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
thenightgaunt
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 November 30, 04:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just got AM working. The game's fully patched and was running fine. Then it crashed to the desktop.

One clue though. It did it at night (ingame) and it might have been around th 1am point. This would have been the first night time period in the game since activating AM. Might have something to do with the 1am lag issue. Anyone else notice crashing around that time ingame?
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 November 30, 05:04:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One clue though. It did it at night (ingame) and it might have been around th 1am point. This would have been the first night time period in the game since activating AM. Might have something to do with the 1am lag issue. Anyone else notice crashing around that time ingame?

Are you serious?

Try searching 1am crash.  There are dozens, maybe even a hundred+ of posts now, about that very thing.  It is something with the EAxian story mod and a possible conflict with AM tweaks, or other conflict.  Switch to AM story mode, and the problem goes away.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 November 30, 07:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One explanation for "sporadic crashes in CAS" without any apparent explanation is overheating. Are using 3booter+fpslimiter? If not, it's possible that your time in CAS is simply blowing ouyt your video card, causing to overheat and then crash.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Crysill
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 November 30, 10:24:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ouyt
When I experienced the CAS crash, the game was limited to 30 frames per second. Though if I consider all hardware possibilities: I don't use a pagefile and I had quite a few other programs running at the time. I only have 4GB of memory and run the game at maximum settings, so running out of memory may have been the cause in my case.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 November 30, 10:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If that's all the RAMs you have, you could have easily exhausted your entire available RAM pool, yes.

divalbw
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 November 30, 17:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is CTD the same as MTD or minimize to desktop?  Huh  After it MTD's I am still able to click on the application in the tray and continue playing. It is completely random but happens usually when I'm doing something in CAS. Started doing this after installing WA. I am not using AM at the moment but I am managing to play (except for MTD) with a few mods  and converted CC. No chop or lag.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 November 30, 19:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, CTD is when the program completely crashes and dies. I have never heard of it randomly MINIMIZING to the desktop, unless you're accidentally pushing ALT-TAB or have dodgy third-party programs that take over your screen.

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 November 30, 19:55:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Minimizing to Desktop may be caused by AVG 9. If you recently updated, try to turn off Optimized Scanning. AVG is aware of the issue, but they haven't fixed it.
Ailias
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 November 30, 20:20:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have installed AM now my game version is 2.2.8.002002
loading screen is black but loads anyway, active household crashes to desktop at about 15% of loading bar WITH or WITHOUT LATEST AWESOME MOD (by 30.11.2009)
framework is on

What's up with my hood?
alisoniam
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 November 30, 21:12:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For anyone having the same issue as me: I completely uninstalled, re-installed the game, patched, installed EA cc, re-downloaded and installed Delphy's monkey, used it to re-install all my mods, and the game now works with all mods.

Thanks for the help. And yes, next time I will try doing all that in order before asking.
divalbw
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 November 30, 21:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Minimizing to Desktop may be caused by AVG 9. If you recently updated, try to turn off Optimized Scanning. AVG is aware of the issue, but they haven't fixed it.

AH HA!!!  I am indeed running AVG 9. and it is a  real bitch to turn off. It keeps turning itself back on. I will try what you suggest. You guys are awesome. TY
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2009 December 01, 00:05:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try another .dll file from else where, the one you have may be corrupted, and don't forget you also need the resource.cfg file.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and am using the same .dll and resource.cfg file I got from Delphy's Monkey Installer Helper way back with the base game, and no problems.  I just did the copy and paste to replicate the same .dll and.cfg files into the same location in the WA folders and like magic, everything worked first time.

My suggestion, uninstall everything, completely, re-install the base game, run Delphy's Monkey Installer, patch, install WA, patch again, then copy the .dll file and .cfg file from the base game (where the installer helper will put them) to the same location in the WA folders.

Also check MTS as Delphy may have updated the installer for WA, I don't know because I haven't checked recently.

Thanks! I didn't think of that (using the monkey installer) since I've always just done the manual install from the framework (yes, with the resource.cfg) linked in the Awesome mod download thread. Maybe after finals I'll get to give it a go Smiley.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
danward
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 December 01, 11:14:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget to delete the cash files (4 of them) in you My Documents-Electric arts-Sims 3 folder.
I've also found the inteen, gainskills, potty train toddlers, leave baby alone, and coworkers speedups mods conflict big time.
goldbud
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 December 01, 14:10:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had this problem every since I first instaled WA. I did a fresh intall of Windows 7  and Sims 3 and WA. on a secondary boot and still had the same CTD at random. So after Awesome Mod was updated for it I installed it and still had random CTD with no other content loaded other than Riverview. But after switching to Awesome Story Mode I have not had a CTD in 2 days. I am not sure if it is sometthing inthe EA story mode or not but i would like to Thank J. M. Pescado for all his hard work on trying to fix EA bugs!!!!!! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: