More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:13:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Steampunkish Servos
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Steampunkish Servos  (Read 47343 times)
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
Re: Steampunkish Servos
« Reply #25 on: 2008 November 15, 15:23:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Sim Surgery in SimPE and clone from any existing LIVING elder. Once you have cloned one servo, you can clone them from each other.
I will make up a tutorial today.
That would be great, SimPE makes me nervous.

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 November 15, 16:30:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Sim Surgery in SimPE and clone from any existing LIVING elder. Once you have cloned one servo, you can clone them from each other.

Posted
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 November 16, 04:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted

The theory behind this is the exact same as the method I used, only with SimPE instead of the InSimenator. Basically, it's an adult "sim" in the body of an elder, and so the clothing and hair can not revert properly. It's a similar situation to when you have someone like this try to "dress for work". They just go up to the dresser, open the drawer, and close it again without doing anything. I prefer my method, though, as it's less wrinkly and more d'aww.

I wonder what it'd be like if I did this using the body of a 12. Autonomous WooHoo disabled, of course.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 November 16, 15:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where did I say I use Insim  Huh

Love your servo skins, by the way. Excellent work.

Edited because I clearly needed more coffee before posting. Thanks, seelindarun.
« Last Edit: 2008 November 16, 19:49:52 by Nec » Logged
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 November 16, 19:40:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PirateFaafy was saying that her/his method used Insim, not yours Nec.  Yours is crystalline, Grin except I'm wondering if there's a reliable way of changing the gender of the servo after cloning.  It creeps me out to have an exact copy of one of my playables hanging around for all eternity. Tongue

It does seem like the two methods exploit the same principle, but maybe you could re-write your method to be a bit clearer PirateFaafy?  I don't use Insim, but there are players who would rather use it than SimPE.  Your description got a bit confusing after you aged the servo down to teen and then back to adult.  How does "Independent Teen" work with the servo adult?
Crash
Dimwitted Dunce

INFJ WTF?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 November 16, 22:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It creeps me out to have an exact copy of one of my playables hanging around for all eternity. Tongue
I find that depends on the story you make around the servos. In sci-fi stories you read about the mildly crazy genius that creates male robots in his own image and the female robots in the image of the love of his life. Creepy? Definitely. But it still works, story wise. Tongue

Don't argue with an idiot. He will just drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 November 17, 05:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Insim way is nice and easy for those of us who have never used Simpe.
The Independent Teen option is there as an aging option so that was fine. My test Servo was able to get an adult job, move out, even go Downtown and come home in her 'human skin'. So I'm happy.
The only issue I have is that I can't seem to get her into a custom skin, she aged into one of the default skins. I had her made by a sim in a custom skin hoping she would get that, but she didn't. The custom skin chooser hack by Christianlov at MTS2 dosen't work for Servo's, so I might make a few others and see if they will randomly get a custom skin.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2008 November 17, 13:11:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know, they'll have the same skintone every time (whatever your game is using for S1, Maxis or default replacement), since their skintone was never intended to be visible.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 November 18, 12:47:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Insim way is nice and easy for those of us who have never used Simpe.
The Independent Teen option is there as an aging option so that was fine. My test Servo was able to get an adult job, move out, even go Downtown and come home in her 'human skin'. So I'm happy.
The only issue I have is that I can't seem to get her into a custom skin, she aged into one of the default skins. I had her made by a sim in a custom skin hoping she would get that, but she didn't. The custom skin chooser hack by Christianlov at MTS2 dosen't work for Servo's, so I might make a few others and see if they will randomly get a custom skin.

Well, as an easy intro to the Sim Surgery aspect of SimPE, just open it, load your neighbourhood, then open the Sim Surgery window from Tools. Then just scroll around and click your servo, click the "use" button in the patient window, then click a sim with your custom skintone and use them as the archetype. Then just check "skintone only" and surgerize. Then they should have that custom skintone.

For those who wanted a clearer explanation, just spawn the InSimenator Temporal Adjuster, then age your servo down to a teen, then back up to an adult (or, an independent teen to keep adult functions without allowing them to reset to servo form.) This can be done with the Sim Modder as well, spawned via shift-clicking the active sim while in debug mode, but you won't have the independent teen option.

That is not to say that you couldn't achieve the desired result - I've heard tell of mismatched aging on the interwebs which was achieved via using the Sim Modder and deleting the sim at various points. All the independent teen option really is is an adult within a teen's body.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
Annette
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 November 19, 00:40:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Baa PirateFaafy, that doesn't sound too hard. I might just get brave enough to try that this weekend when I get more simming time. akatonbo was correct and all the servo's took the S1 skin tone so I have been looking at default replacements, but they aren't quite right. I really want a blue or something that stands out. Anyway, I've copied your instructions and will hope for the best.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2008 November 19, 15:07:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You probably wouldn't want a default replacement anyway -- all your ACTUAL S1 Sims would be blue/etc.! Best to just use SimPE. Use a test neighborhood first (or back up your real one immediately before trying it) just in case, but it's not that complex.

I'm still thinking I'll have to update that mod, myself, because I haven't quite warmed up to the idea of teen Servos; it doesn't mesh with my intentions, at least not for ALL of them to look like teenagers. Though I might try actually aging them to elder but using invisible clothes for adults (over the droid skintone I want to use, which looks silly with clothes over it) edited to elder so they don't have elder bodies, and see if the elder animations aren't too nonsensical for robots. (And the possibility of using other ages some of the time is intriguing, although I suspect massive weirdness if a Servo was set to an age that's supposed to attend school.)

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 November 20, 21:51:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...and see if the elder animations aren't too nonsensical for robots. (And the possibility of using other ages some of the time is intriguing, although I suspect massive weirdness if a Servo was set to an age that's supposed to attend school.)

When you have a sim which is an adult in the body of an elder, they use only adult animations. This is the same with "Independent Teens" and all other ages which are Adult functions in a differently-aged body - so no need to worry about old, slouchy servos!

I've actually grown a servo up from toddlerhood to adulthood, using InSim. It actually works perfectly fine to send a Servo to school, and I've even had them brought home from school as "friends"! Although one must note that the "recharge" option doesn't appear unless the game is treating them as adults, so you'll have to find another way to recharge them - I don't know if cribs do or not, I just always dragged them up when they got low. I'm cheat-y like that. They had mechanical, creativity, logic and charisma maxed out before childhood! (Of course, I got to decide when that was. But still, it was fast. Especially with smart milk.)

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2008 November 21, 01:10:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't talking about using the adult-in-elder's-body method, I was talking about actually aging them to elder. Though since I need to use SimPE on them to change their skintone anyway, I suppose it's worth a try sometime.

Out of curiosity, what happens to Servo voices if they are an age other than adult?

PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 November 23, 04:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't talking about using the adult-in-elder's-body method, I was talking about actually aging them to elder. Though since I need to use SimPE on them to change their skintone anyway, I suppose it's worth a try sometime.

Out of curiosity, what happens to Servo voices if they are an age other than adult?

The teen servo that I had used the exact same voice clips as the adult servos do. I'd assume it's that way for all ages.

bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 November 26, 16:06:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For human-looking servos: isn't it enough to age them to whichever age with the aging cheat or sim modder and then age back to adult (same method)? Of course you need the Clothing Rack tool to fix their face and outfits, since they can't plan/change appearance (at least if you're patched).

They also switch to default if you change witch/wizard alignment. Clothing Rack saves the day. The switch back occuring randomly sorts out when you make them change clothes.

I cloned my servos from existing sims (their creators>:{D) and then changed the skintone to mannequin. The only problem I had with the skin was that while changing skintone in SimPE for females only the face changes and body remains the same. I think it's a program or game bug, cause that happens for all sims, not only servos. Changing age fixes the problem.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 December 06, 17:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For human-looking servos: isn't it enough to age them to whichever age with the aging cheat or sim modder and then age back to adult (same method)? Of course you need the Clothing Rack tool to fix their face and outfits, since they can't plan/change appearance (at least if you're patched).

They also switch to default if you change witch/wizard alignment. Clothing Rack saves the day. The switch back occuring randomly sorts out when you make them change clothes.

I cloned my servos from existing sims (their creators>:{D) and then changed the skintone to mannequin. The only problem I had with the skin was that while changing skintone in SimPE for females only the face changes and body remains the same. I think it's a program or game bug, cause that happens for all sims, not only servos. Changing age fixes the problem.

That's basically what we've been talking about, but thank you for explaining it in layman's terms. If the clothing tool works for servos, I suppose that's an awesome way to fix their appearances.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2008 December 08, 22:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Motoki made a pink servo a while back that didn't overwrite the defaults.  He gave a quick outline of how as well.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,3685.0.html

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 December 08, 23:29:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I put this in my game (file in first post), and my servos are still silver.  Just in case it only affected new servos, I had one of them build a new one, and it's also silver.  I have all eps and sps; don't know if that makes a difference.  HCDU doesn't show any conflicts between this and anything else.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2008 December 09, 16:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

delete groups.cache?....

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 December 09, 20:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I put this in my game (file in first post), and my servos are still silver.  Just in case it only affected new servos, I had one of them build a new one, and it's also silver.  I have all eps and sps; don't know if that makes a difference.  HCDU doesn't show any conflicts between this and anything else.

It's a default replacement package, so it should be overwriting the bitmaps while the game loads. Unless you have something which would also be replacing the textures, it should work. Do you know if you have any other Servo-related hacks?

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 December 09, 22:56:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just SaraMK's servo eye replacements.

(Dumb question -- do all the PNG files in the subdirectory have to be in the game, too?  Or just the .package file?)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2008 December 10, 01:48:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These are great.  I have a question, though.  Is there a way to use this on individual Servos or must all Servos look alike?  One of the things that drives me crazy is that if you have more than two servos--one male and one female--in a neighborhood it's impossible to tell them apart.

As of yet, it isn't possible to have servos who look different in the typical servo style.

*cough-shameless-plug-cough*

It's been abandoned for a little less than 2 years because no one seemed to have any interest in it.  Roll Eyes

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 December 10, 03:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just SaraMK's servo eye replacements.

(Dumb question -- do all the PNG files in the subdirectory have to be in the game, too?  Or just the .package file?)

That would do it. The eyes are part of the texture. To the second part, no, just the package. The images are there for reference.
These are great.  I have a question, though.  Is there a way to use this on individual Servos or must all Servos look alike?  One of the things that drives me crazy is that if you have more than two servos--one male and one female--in a neighborhood it's impossible to tell them apart.

As of yet, it isn't possible to have servos who look different in the typical servo style.

*cough-shameless-plug-cough*

It's been abandoned for a little less than 2 years because no one seemed to have any interest in it.  Roll Eyes

I stand corrected. Y thank u.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 December 10, 15:16:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, thanks -- I'll pull the servo eye file then.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 December 10, 16:55:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you still want those eyes, you can open them up in SimPE and export the files, then quickly photoshoop them onto the textures in the zip file I provided. Then just open up the replacement files and import the new, photoshooped textures into the default replacement package. If you don't know how to use SimPE, I could do it for you; I'd just need the replacement eye package and it should be simple from there.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: