More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 14:23:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Researching Awesomespec: How far back? (plus draft)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Researching Awesomespec: How far back? (plus draft)  (Read 13038 times)
Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
Researching Awesomespec: How far back? (plus draft)
« on: 2008 September 05, 23:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am tired of not knowing what Awesomespec is, and tired of seeing everyone redirected to the same incomplete post in the war room.  (Please do not direct me to that post, I have read it, analyzed it, peered at the photos, etc)

I am going through the analyses (analysisses?  analysii?  analyzements?) of the building contest of awesomeness in an attempt to condense all of the criticisms into one mega list of criteria for awesomeness.

My questions are as follows:
  • How far back should I go? I have read back to July of 2007.  Are there house critiques further back than that that I should read as well, or is it all going to be prepeats of what has been said since July 07?
  • Are there any other resources that I should refer to in compiling my list?
  • I have seen multiple references to firebreak kitchen-ness.  For adequate firebreakage, is it necessary to separate the fire producing items from adjacent counters, etc so fires will not jump, as would be the case in a true firebreak in real life?  Or is it simply necessary to keep the entire household from freaking out and dying in a screaming writhing agonizing mass suicide just because someone burned their poptarts?
  • Is the nanny supposed to be locked out of the kitchen?  Yay or nay?  If yes, how does she retrieve bottles for sproglings?  If no, how do you keep her from burning down the house?

Edit:  Changed the title to indicate the presence of a draft
« Last Edit: 2008 September 06, 21:06:54 by nerakdon » Logged
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
Re: Researching Awesomespec: How far back?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 06, 06:42:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Put a sprinkler directly over the stove and any fireplaces or money-printers.  Read the reviews of houses in the Housing Contest sub-forum.  Then post a house and ask for criticism, or feel free to post what you've learned so far and ask for corrections and additions.

Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 06, 20:52:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright then... here's what I've got so far, based on AwesomeSpec 5.0 and all the previous versions I could find, plus the house reviews in the Building Contest of Awesomeness sub-forum. A few of my own opinions are thrown in.  However, for the most part I am regurgitating what has been said by others.

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. 

=======================================================

Awesomespec: adj.  1)  playable 2) having high usability 3) meeting the very high standards of one J. M. Pescado

-------------------------------------------------
But what does that mean?
* An awesomespec house is built to be easily playable using moreawesomethanyou hacks, with minimal micro-management. Particularly important hacks:
-- Bathroom uses you
-- Macrotastics
-- Sleep Clock
-- Baby Controller
-- Authorized Personnel Only

Basic Building Parameters
Here are some things that can keep you from killing awesomespec in your house from the start.

* Awesomespec houses have LEVEL EDGES.  Pescado makes a big deal of it if a lot does not have level edges.  It clearly irritates the crap out of him.  Non-level edges screw up the terrain on anything they touch.  Makes people cranky.
* Should be neither too close to the road, nor very far from it.
* Awesome houses are not big boxes filled with sub boxes.  Use a little imagination.
* Moving the trash can a short distance away from the mailbox appears to be ok.  Moving the mailbox is NOT ok.
* Things that represent a fire hazard should have emergency sprinklers placed overhead.  If you don't have Uni, at least put in a smoke detector.

Staircases
* Stealth stairs are not ok.
* Staircases should be high-bandwidth.  If you're going to use landings, be double damn sure that they allow 2 sims to pass each other; landings are notorious for causing cloggage!
* Must be locked to visitors. 

Exterior Construction
* Should have a garage, or room for one (if you lack Nightlife).  Attached is a plus.  Not terribly popular:  long driveways, sideways driveways, sloped driveways. (The first is just irritating, the last two mess up animations.)
* Houses should look right in the neighborhood view.  Anything that messes this up is non-awesome.  A classic example is placing a wall-bearing roof (e.g. gable or shed roof) in such a way that one of its fake-roof-type-walls is right up against a real, regular wall.
* Should be expandable, so that the next addition to the family or the next spiffy expansion pack toy has somewhere to go.

Rooms
* Should be big enough, but not huge.
* Should be well lit and have sane window placement.  No picture windows hiding behind wall-height bookcases!
* Single purpose zones can be combined to create a multi-purpose room, so long as the function of both zones is retained.  For example, living areas and skilling areas can be separate or combined. 

Miscellaneous
* A storage area for hacks is a nice touch.  Good places are under foundations, below roofs, or in little nooks that aren't useful otherwise.
* Hot tubs, if provided, should be covered and access controlled to prevent death by weather.

Landscaping
* Should have a theft-proof kicking zone for flamingos, gnomes, or for true awesomeness, kick-the-cheats.  See homestarrunner.com for a non-explanation.
* Trees bring a house to life but are high-poly count.  Use them, but use them sparingly.
* Place compost barrels near trees so leaves can be composted quickly.
* Wolves should not be able to dig on your lot.  Do what you will to prevent this, but wolf digging is not allowed.  Telling Pescado to use someone else's hack to fix this is not going to work.  Either block off the entire front with gated fences, or pave/interrupt the front area so that there are no 2x2 squares available for wolves to dig.  Do not put any flower beds in the unprotected area. And by the way... if a sim can walk over a fence, so can wolves.  You have to use *real* fences.  Tongue
* Ponds are good.  Need to be deep enough to fish, and not too deep to fish.  Indoors is a plus, but not a requirement -- ponds freeze in winter no matter what.
* Greenhouses are good, but expensive.  Ladybug nests work too.  Or, with sunlamps, you can figure out a way to do your gardening indoors.
* Sprinklers should be placed with attention to their watering radius.  Do not just plop a bunch of sprinklers down with no regard for their radius, and hope it's enough.  Sprinklers are helpful but cause lag, so they should not be overused.
* There are three kinds of trees and six kinds of plants.  For small family gardens, this doesn't matter too much.  However, for large commercial type farms, you should plan your gardening areas accordingly.  Pescado's "gpsign" mod in the "test" folder of your latest EP does a great job of this, using room dividers to separate crop areas.
* Landscaping-type trees do not need maintenance.  Shrubs and flowers do.  Plan their placement accordingly. See: http://website.lineone.net/~andrewhdknock/GardeningTutorial.htm

Viewing Deck
* Awesomespec houses are built so that interesting things take place primarily on one floor -- the "Viewing Deck". Boring things like sleeping take place elsewhere. 
* An ideal viewing deck is visible at a glance without a bunch of mouse fidgeting. 
* Sprogs, aka infants and toddlers, require attention.  Therefore, nurseries should be placed on the viewing deck.  See "Nurseries", below.
* Visitors are stupid annoying pests who utterly lack self control.  However, they are necessary for certain aspects of gameplay, such as parties.  This means that they must be confined to the viewing deck, where you can keep an eye on them.  Staircases MUST be locked up tight so that visitors can never get off the viewing deck and out of your sight.
* The viewing deck should also contain:
-- Vomitorium (Foyer)
-- Dining Room
-- Living Room
-- Idling Area
-- The One Desk
-- Kitchen

See below for descriptions of these areas. 

See the existing Awesomespec thread for a diagram of their relative positions.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,7263.0.html

Barracks
* Best placed on a separate floor, to reduce the size of the viewing deck.  Sleeping sims are boring.
* Needs to have enough bathrooms.  Not necessarily one per resident, but enough.
* Don't put interesting stuff here.  This deck is for boring things only.
* Can someone confirm that a single sleep clock can reliably control the sleep habits of only two sims?  If so, that means kids' rooms should contain at most two single beds.  One sleep clock will work for two sims sharing a bed.
* Any decent house has at least one parent-type bedroom, and the right number of kid-type bedrooms.  A mansion should probably be able to sleep 8 sims, otherwise why's it so damn big?  Not all houses need to sleep 8, as long as there's room to expand.
* For a truly flexible barracks layout, one good approach would be to build bedrooms such that rooms can be converted between parent-type and kid-type rooms easily -- like knocking down a wall to convert two kid rooms to a parent room.
* Allowing room for easels in the bedrooms is a nice touch.

Nurseries
An awesome nursery is one that:
* is located on the viewing deck
* is blocked from visitors
* offers easy access to a bathroom containing a toilet, sink, a bathtub, and the "bathroom uses you" hack's controller (to prevent playing in the toilet)
* has seperate pods for multiple babies to sleep, so that if they cry they do not wake each other up.
* has easy access to a fridge for bottles
* provides enough room for all infant/toddler support items: toddler skill toys, changing table, trash can, and somewhere to put smart milk. (Can someone confirm/disprove the rumor that smart milk's potency is increased when the maker wears a thinking cap?)

Vomitorium
* No, not a roman style vomitorium.  This is just the MATY term for "foyer".  It's an overgrown foyer, but it's still a foyer.
* Should have enough bathroom capacity for visitors.
* Should be free of items that visitors can use to be a nuisance.
* Should be spacious enough to allow high traffic. 
* Since it contains the front door, should contain a crapdrop table for bills.

Kitchen
* Only one kitchen should be present in your house.  Otherwise sims will try to cook using both kitchens.  Not fun.
* If you are going to have an indoor eating zone and an outdoor eating zone, make sure that the kitchen is closer to the dining room than it is to the patio table, and that the grill is closer to the patio table than it is to the dining room.
* The kitchen should be in an enclosed room that is only a kitchen.  It should be lockable, and have real doors (not arches).  This prevents visitors from raiding your fridge for chips and cookies, getting fat and wasting your residents' grocery budget.  It also prevents visitors from setting your house on fire, and prevents massive tragedy if a fire does occur.
* The ideal kitchen contains counters that cost over $500, and no food processor.  The food processor reduces the quality of food prepared on such good counters.  For details, see:  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2606.0/wap2.html

Dining Room
* Should be available to visitors.
* Should have plenty of room to move around -- two tile walkways is a good rule of thumb. 
* Some people have reported problems with the 1x3 tables, as sims have trouble getting in/out of some of the seats.

Idling Area
* Located near the garage, front door, and usually containing The One Desk.  Where people sit while waiting.

The One Desk
* Kids will pick a desk in your house as the spot to deliver homework to.  Plan ahead for this by:
   a)  Making there be only ONE desk, and putting it in a convenient spot.
   b)  Making there be only ONE room with desks in it, and putting it in a convenient spot.
   c)  Having NO desks in the house at all.
  Basically, don't stick desks all over the place.
* Ideally, The One Desk should be placed in such a way that parents can teach their kids to do homework.
* If you have multiple kids, it is better that the one desk have a computer on it, or no chair, and sufficient floor space for as many spawn as will be bringing in homework.

Caffienation Station
* Located on the viewing deck, this provides high-throughput caffienation via Macrotastics.  Should contain an espresso machine (or better yet, a coffee bush) and be near a seating area and a bathroom.  Ideally near a coffee table and/or dishwasher (if you use the coffee cups hack)

Skillination Zone
* Located on or at least convenient to the viewing deck, this has all the skill building items you could ever need.  Should be nice and big, to accomodate all skill items and career rewards.
* There should be only one reading area, and it should have a high capacity.

Bathrooms
* Should be optimized for the "Bathroom Uses You" hack.
* Should be of even quality throughout the house.
* Half baths appear to be unpopular, even for visitor bathrooms.
* Tubs should be used where needed, and not used where not needed.  Toddlers and pets need tubs.  No one else does.

Edit:  Added link to food processor post, and fixed wording on garden sprinklers.
Edit:  Added information about multiple spawn and The One Desk, as well as coffee bushes.
Edit: Adjusted the text on seasons garden layout
Edit:  Removed reference to the rather less than awesome SW hack for employee gardening, and changed it to refer to the fully awesome "gpsign".
« Last Edit: 2008 September 08, 02:22:33 by nerakdon » Logged
AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
Re: Researching Awesomespec: How far back? (plus draft)
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 06, 21:15:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Hot tubs, if provided, should be covered and access controlled to prevent death by weather.

But where's the fun in that?
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 06, 21:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Brilliant, detailed summary of Awesomespec, well done!

* The ideal kitchen contains counters that cost over $500, and no food processor.  The food processor reduces the quality of food prepared on such good counters.

I didn't know this. I thought counter type was of no consequence at all except in decoration. Do you the link to hand of the post / tutorial you read for this fact? I'd be interested to read more.

ISTP
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 06, 22:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, looks pretty good and understandable! I have a question about the following:

Don't sprinkle your sprinklers!

Is this an efficiency issue? Cost? Aesthetics? Weeds?

There are three kinds of trees and six kinds of plants.  Plan your gardening areas accordingly.  Gardening areas should be made of threes and sixes, not 11's or 17's!  The number of gardening squares should not be random!

Again, is this aesthetics? Thanks.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 06, 23:20:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* The ideal kitchen contains counters that cost over $500, and no food processor.  The food processor reduces the quality of food prepared on such good counters.

I didn't know this. I thought counter type was of no consequence at all except in decoration. Do you the link to hand of the post / tutorial you read for this fact? I'd be interested to read more.

Here you go:  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2606.0;wap2.  I will also add the link to the body of the spec.

Don't sprinkle your sprinklers!

Is this an efficiency issue? Cost? Aesthetics? Weeds?

I was trying to be cute.  I will fix the wording.  I should have said, "Sprinklers should be placed with attention to their watering radius.  Do not just plop a bunch of sprinklers down with no regard for their radius, and hope its enough.  Sprinklers are helpful but cause lag, so they should not be overused."

There are three kinds of trees and six kinds of plants.  Plan your gardening areas accordingly.  Gardening areas should be made of threes and sixes, not 11's or 17's!  The number of gardening squares should not be random!

My issue, and I'm not quite sure how to word this, is that on other sites, often I see greenhouses whose available gardening space consists of strange numbers of plots.  I don't have any use for a 7-farmable-tile-greenhouse.  There are 6 types of plants, so I want multiples of 6. 

It's somewhere between aesthetics and function, I guess.  Perhaps I should remove it from the spec, as I have seen no one else complaining about this.

Disclaimer:  The following is a bit off topic as it refers to spiffy and yet non-MATY mods.

In big, commercial type greenhouses especially, I personally prefer clearly defined areas suitable for using SimWardrobe's employee gardening controllers.  When using those controllers, it *is* about function.  For those, the easiest type of greenhouse to run is one that consists of 4x4 squares missing a single interior plot (for a total of 15).  The planting sign goes in the middle.  Each 4x4 square contains one type of crop, and there are six such squares present, each of which must be separated from all other 4x4 squares by at least one tile and preferably more than one.  The reason for 4x4 minus 1 is that SimWardrobe's planting controller operates in multiples of five.  15 was the first number that was a multiple of 5 and also a square minus 1 that I could think of.

Here's kinda what I'm talking about, though I almost always mix it up somehow by rearranging the six 4x4 squares into various shapes, or including fishing ponds/orchard trees.

I'd prefer slightly larger crops to optimize manpower, but I can't think of a good way to do it using the hacks available.

P: Plant
O: Plant type controller sign
=: Walkway

====================
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
==PPOP==PPOP==PPOP==
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
====================
====================
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
==PPOP==PPOP==PPOP==
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
==PPPP==PPPP==PPPP==
====================

Edit:  I'm a doofus, evidently.  6x6, 9x9, and 11x11 would also work just fine.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 07, 19:22:48 by nerakdon » Logged
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 06, 23:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would argue that macro-->garden makes sprinklers pretty much unnecessary. Also, I am not sure you are right about the bug houses vs greenhouses; I seem to recall a discussion about greenhouses being needed to prevent bug infestation.

Also, the coffee bush that was ganked from Castaway stories is better than a standard coffee dispenser because children can use it (and it also decreases hunger a little bit). Bathrooms being conveniently placed near coffee bushes is probably a good rule of thumb, though. Coffee bushes, like hot-tubs, may need to be weather-proofed. They can also go in the greehouse.

If you have multiple kids, it is better that the one desk have a computer on it, or no chair, and sufficient floor space for as many spawn as will be bringing in homework.

Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 07, 02:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with you about both sprinklers and ladybugs.  I'm not a big fan of either one.  However, they do kinda sorta function.  A little.  For starter houses, maybe.

I will update The One Desk info to incorporate your notes about multiple spawn.  Very good point.

Also, what is this coffee bush and where can I find it?  Cheesy

Edit:  Nevermind, I found it.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 07, 02:39:14 by nerakdon » Logged
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 07, 02:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, what is this coffee bush and where can I find it?  Cheesy

It is a coffee bush. You can find it in the thread clearly labelled "Salvaged Stories Crap" in Playsets and Toys.

Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 07, 14:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My issue, and I'm not quite sure how to word this, is that on other sites, often I see greenhouses whose available gardening space consists of strange numbers of plots.  I don't have any use for a 7-farmable-tile-greenhouse.  There are 6 types of plants, so I want multiples of 6.

I think it's going to depend on the function of the greenhouse. When I'm planting multiple crops (for juices or selling), I have to separate and delineate plots for each crop so the gpsign works, which then requires a larger greenhouse and whatnot. But if it's just a family greenhouse for fresh food points, I'm usually only planting one crop at a time. In that case, I maximize greenhouse space because those walls are pricey.

Great summary, btw!

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 07, 19:09:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's going to depend on the function of the greenhouse. When I'm planting multiple crops (for juices or selling), I have to separate and delineate plots for each crop so the gpsign works, which then requires a larger greenhouse and whatnot. But if it's just a family greenhouse for fresh food points, I'm usually only planting one crop at a time. In that case, I maximize greenhouse space because those walls are pricey.

Very good point.  I will adjust the text accordingly.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 07, 20:36:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great summary, btw!

If I have multiple crops like that, I find the floor divider that came with Pets is enough to separate them, and it's cheap, only $5 per square. Any fence that can be stepped over would also work.

Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 07, 22:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great summary, btw!

If I have multiple crops like that, I find the floor divider that came with Pets is enough to separate them, and it's cheap, only $5 per square. Any fence that can be stepped over would also work.

Using the mod from SimWardrobe, and the farm field location marker, you mean?  Or just using "Plant Many"?
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 07, 22:32:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using the gpsign, which basically allows you to tell sims what to plant in that room/greenhouse/whatever. It's cheap and easy to separate the areas into different 'rooms' using the fence divider. I don't use the thing from SimWardrobe, so I've no idea if this method would work for that.

Kibble
Asinine Airhead

Self-avowed Tryhard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 08, 02:16:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using the gpsign, which basically allows you to tell sims what to plant in that room/greenhouse/whatever. It's cheap and easy to separate the areas into different 'rooms' using the fence divider. I don't use the thing from SimWardrobe, so I've no idea if this method would work for that.

Thou hast shown to me the light, yea, and it is shiny!

Thank you!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: