Food facts(?) and Is it worth having a food processor

(1/10) > >>

cwykes:
While I was searching around to find you exactly what a food processor contributed to food value, I copied and pasted everything I found into a txt file.  I suspect most of it is regurgitated Prima guide.  A couple of you asked me to post it anyway, so here it is.  If any of it is wrong I'd love to know.  Maybe someone a lot more awesome than me could convert into something suitable for the war room.  AND - I'm still not clear about that food processor.  If your sim uses the food processor instead of a high level counter, are you losing food value?  I've taken to putting microwaves in a corner where they can't reach them on the understanding that cooking in an oven gives more food value than the microwave.

The text file - none of the facts or recommendations are mine...............

- You buy food on the Internet or over the phone but if you use cheats for money and don't mind tricks, you can sell a fridge when empty and buy a new one instead of making new orders.

- Don't eat when your sims' hunger bar is full.

- Sick sims and pregnant sims want to eat more often. The hunger bar decreases faster.

- It is quicker to prepare served meals but you won't save money this way if there are 2 or 3 sims in the house.

Breakfast:
Instant Meal - §3/§12 if served
Cereal - §4/§16 if served
Toaster Pastry - §4/§16 if served
Pancakes - §5/§20 if served (3 cooking skills needed)
Omelettes - §5/§20 if served (4 cooking skills needed)

Lunch:
Meat Sandwiches - §4/§16 if served
Grilled Cheese - §5/§20 if served (2 cooking skills needed)
Chef's Salad - §5/§20 if served (3 cooking skills needed)
Chilli Con Carne - §6/§24 if served (4 cooking skills needed)

Dinner:
TV Dinner - §4/§16 if served
Mac And Cheese - §5/§20 if served
Spaghetti - §5/§20 if served (1 cooking skill needed)
Chef's salad - §5/§20 if served (3 cooking skills needed)
Pork Chop - §7/§28 if served (5 cooking skills needed)
Salmon - §7/§28 if served (6 cooking skills needed)
Turkey - §28 served only (6 cooking skills needed)
Grilled Ribs - §28 served only (7 cooking skills needed)
Lobster Thermidor - §8/§32 if served (10 cooking skills needed)

Cakes:
Gelatin - §4/§16 if served
Layer Cake - §5/§20 if served (6 cooking skills needed)
Baked Alaska - §6/§24 if served (8 cooking skills needed)

Hot Dogs - §5/§20 if served

Except be careful - lobster Thermidor always carries a 20% chance of burning it. (According to the Prima guide, when you first unlock a food (say, spaghetti, when you get your 1 cooking point), you have 20% chance of burning it. One point later, you have a 10% chance (so for spaghetti, when you have 2 points), and after the *second* point after the food's unlocked, you only have a 5% chance of burning it (which you always have. Unless it's something like lunch meat sandwiches, which you can't burn. :) )

Every other food but lobster is unlocked after 8 cooking points, so that when your Sim maxes the cooking skill, he can cook those foods with a low chance of ruining them. Lobster, though, you get at level 10, so he never gets any better.

To become a great cook you must build up your Sims cooking skills. Sims can learn to cook by reading books on cooking, or by watching the yummy channel on TV. Children can earn cooking skill points while providing edible food by baking in the toy oven. Cooking skills come in handy, not only in a Sims career, but also around the house. Sims with higher cooking skills are able to cook more advanced meals, are less likely to start fires, and can prepare meals quicker. Although you can start earning points at a young age, only teens, adults, and seniors can use cooking equipment and prepare meals.

What can you cook?
With each Cooking Skill Point your Sims earn, you are able to "unlock" new meals your Sims can cook. The higher their skills the more they can cook, and the better they can cook them. Here is a list of some of the different foods available at each level.

Level 0: Juices, Chips, Cookies, Instant Meal, Cereal, Toaster Pastry, Lunch Meat Sandwiches, Hot Dogs, TV Dinner, Macaroni & Cheese, Gelatin
Level 1: Spaghetti
Level 2: Grilled Cheese
Level 3: Pancakes, Hamburgers, Chef Salad
Level 4: Omelets, Chili Con Carne
Level 5: Pork Chops
Level 6: Salmon, Turkey, Layer Cake
Level 7: Grilled Ribs
Level 8: Baked Alaska
Level 9: (No new foods added)
Level 10: Lobster Thermador

When do you cook it?
You can prepare and eat different meals at different times of the day. Below is a list of the three main meals, the times they are available, and the foods allowed to be cooked.

Breakfast - 2:00AM - 10:30AM
Instant Meal, Cereal, Pancakes, Omelets, Toaster Pastry, Chips, Cookies, Juice
Lunch - 10:30AM - 4:30PM
Instant Meal, Chef Salad, Lunch Meat Sandwich, Grilled Cheese, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Chili Con Carne, Chips, Cookies, Juice, Gelatin, Layered Cake, Baked Alaska
Dinner foods 4:30PM - 2:00AM
Instant meal, Chef Salad, TV Dinner, Spaghetti, Salmon, Pork Chops, Macaroni & Cheese, Lobster Thermidor, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Grilled Ribs, Turkey, Chips, Cookies, Juice, Gelatin, Layered Cake, Baked Alaska

Baked Alaska - 75%
Chili Con Carne - 75%
Chef's Salad - 63%
Grilled Cheese - 75%
Hamburgers - 75%
Pizza - 100%
Salmon - 88%
Pancakes 75%
Pork Chop 88%
Toaster Pastries - 63%
TV Dinner - 83%
Toddler Mush - 75%
Gelatin 63% ( And gelatin can last for 24 hours without spoiling)
Instant Meal - 50% (And instant meal can last for 12 hours without spoiling)

According to the Prima guide, those percentages represent "hunger efficiency", a measure of how to get the most Hunger satisfaction in the shortest time. (The most nutritious food may not be the most efficient if it takes a long time to eat.) At 100% are lobster thermidore, pizza and grilled ribs. At 88% are pork chops, salmon and turkey. A TV dinner is at 83%. The lowest hunger efficiency is 50% for instant meals, snacks, and toy oven muffins.

What they probably did was post information from the Prima strategy guide. In it is a chart of "Food Cost and Efficiency." This is how the book explains it:

"A refrigerator is not really stocked with food, it's stocked with food points (200 for the cheap fridge and 300 for the expensive). A food point costs exactly 2 Simoleons.

"Every kind of food has a price tag per serving. The higher the Hunger satisfaction of the food, the greater the cost. Every time you extract a serving of a food, its cost is deducted from the refrigerator's stock."

Food cost is measured by the amount of food points it takes out of the fridge; therefore, this can be translated into Simoleons since a single food point costs 2 Simoleons.

"Ruined food can be consumed but is stripped of most of its Hunger satisfaction. Any additions to food points from preparation or cooking are eliminated, leaving only the food's base Hunger satisfaction. Cooking failure also carries a 20% chance of fire."

This is not a complete list, but I hope it helps.
High-price counters provide quicker food preparation and higher food value than low-price counters. The food processor is equivalent to a midprice counter, for both speed and food value, regardless of which counter it's placed on. High-price is anything from §500 on up, low-price is anything under §200, and midprice is anything in between. Most meals require food preparation which must be done at either a counter or a food processor. Any food can be prepared at an empty counter but only chopped foods can be prepared at a food processor.

Stoves and other cooking appliances seem to be the biggest factor in how much food value a meal gives. The high-price stove adds about 10 times as much food value as the low-price stove and the midprice stove adds about 4 times as much. Stoves can cook all meals except Cup O' Ramen, Hot Dogs, and Grilled Ribs and can provide either single or multiple servings of most meals, but Turkey and desserts can only be prepared in multiple servings. They do require a food preparation area for most meals.

Grills can only cook Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, and Grilled Ribs and they only provide multiple servings. No food preparation is required. The high-price grill is equivalent to the high-price stove and all other grills are equivalent to the low-price stove.

Microwaves can only cook Cup O' Ramen and TV Dinners which don't require preparation. Toaster ovens can cook Toaster Pastries, TV Dinners, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Pork Chops, and Salmon. The last three meals require a food preparation area. Both the microwave and the toaster oven prepare single-servings only. The toaster oven is equivalent to the low-price stove for food-value. The microwave provides about double that food value.

The newest cooking appliance is a cooktop. It costs the same as the high-price stove and provides about the same food value. It doesn't have an oven and therefore can only cook stovetop meals. Food preparation is required.

All cooking appliances, including the microwave, are fire hazards and there should always be a fire alarm or sprinkler in the same room with any of them unless you intend to allow a fire. Sprinklers must be placed near the appliance to be effective.

My personal recommendations are to buy the high-price stove and high-price counters if at all possible, with the stove being the more important. I consider the food processor a waste of money since I can get a midrange counter for the same cost.

Gwill:
Good guide, I just have to harp on this:

Quote from: cwykes on 2006 January 08, 11:51:33

- You buy food on the Internet or over the phone but if you use cheats for money and don't mind tricks, you can sell a fridge when empty and buy a new one instead of making new orders.
I do that to save time.  I don't "use cheats for money".  In fact I use the no20khandout hack.  Money seem to fall out of the sky in this game.  There's nothing I can do to spend it all, so buying a new fridge every time the old one is empty seems like a good idea.

Yay:
The worn fridge is the most efficient in terms of the "selling after it's empty" method because it holds exactly the same as the "cheap" one at 200. Restocking it costs 450 if you count delivery which is almost always higher than the cost you need to sell and buy a new one. You could even get a recolour for this that is not worn...  ;)

I was wondering, is the toddler mush free?

seven:
I almost always buy the food processor because I thought it saved food preparation time. This thread makes me wonder if it's worth it though.

Anyway, it seems that sims have a chance of burning food the first time they make it as well as other factors. For instance I played a sim with 10 cooking points, but she hadn't yet made spaghetti. The first time she made it [and pancakes too] she burned it. I don't know if that is something in the game or coincidence.

Dark Trepie:
So, if I'm reading this right, if I have a kitchen that consists of $500 counter tops, adding a food processor is actually detrimental to food value and preperation?  Werid.

And here I am with food processors in every house I have...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page