More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 03:07:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Things We've Learned From The BBS
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Things We've Learned From The BBS  (Read 59041 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Things We've Learned From The BBS
« Reply #75 on: 2005 October 20, 17:56:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I've joined the privileged few yet, in spite of a lot of lip-ripping!

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2005 October 20, 17:58:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Katze was stupid for weeks! I was stupid for two days, I think, a while back. And Inge is often a round mound of grey...something.  Tongue
Fatness, that's what it was.  Cheesy  YAHSRR (Yet another Homestar Runner Reference).
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2005 October 20, 18:04:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone know how to hack into NEWSBOX?  Then you people could leave a retaliatory message!

Zephyr Zodiac
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2005 October 20, 18:06:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That car in your avatar keeps making me think of that Stephen King book about that Buick.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2005 October 20, 18:11:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about the book - the car in my avatar is a Zephyr Zodiac ( a Ford car from the 1960s).

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2005 October 20, 18:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about the book - the car in my avatar is a Zephyr Zodiac ( a Ford car from the 1960s).
Oh is that where your nickname came from.  I've always wondered.  I never put the car together with your avi, but then I wasn't born until a decade later. Wink
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2005 October 20, 19:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im about the same age as that car..I cant remember the exact title but for some reason it reminded me of that book. Buick was in the title- it was some sort of transport machine (living thing actually) to another dimension and it sent weird oddities to earth and killed a few people.

knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2005 October 20, 19:37:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is bene or benes?

It's supposed to be a rating system. If someone posts something that you find helpful or "bene"ficial then you can press a little button to vote the post as being "bene"ficial. In theory, someone who is helpful and posts a lot of good information will have a high bene rating. Unfortunately, it becomes a popularity contest over on the official BBS and the ratings are meaningless: people that post often (but give bad info) or offer to type out the Prima guide may have high bene ratings even though they haven't really added anything constructive to the community.

Did I help you? Give me a bene.  Grin  Roll Eyes

but if you need the bene button around here you have to take a difficult test that includes questions about elephants prefered sleepeing attire and such. Wink

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2005 October 20, 22:04:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I learned quite a lot about gameplay early on from the BBS -   Pinstar's ghost posts spring to mind and there was a thread on cooking and headmaster bug.... 

I used search. Now there's a lost art!  does anybody  EVER search for anything?  or read the stickies?

The technical help stickies were also useful when I tried to help people with install problems.  As for bugs - I found out they existed and where to go for the real info.  Headmaster bug took me to MTS2 then variousimmers then here.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2005 October 20, 23:03:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want the bad button back!  Give me nege!

moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2005 October 23, 07:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-Hacks and mods are evil.  And yes, they are out to get you, having been specially made to make your computer explode.

Ah, reminds me of my favorite BBS quote. "Noone MEANS to download a hacK!!!1"

Or I could be totally wrong...
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: 2005 October 23, 17:39:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

-Hacks and mods are evil.  And yes, they are out to get you, having been specially made to make your computer explode.

Ah, reminds me of my favorite BBS quote. "Noone MEANS to download a hacK!!!1"

THAT is gold.    Roll Eyes

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2005 October 24, 01:33:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh is that where your nickname came from.  I've always wondered.  I never put the car together with your avi, but then I wasn't born until a decade later. Wink

Actually, not consciously.  I had a sims1 family called Zodiac (the neighbourhood was based on starsigns and other astrological stuff) and the first member of the family was Zephyr Zodiac because it sounded good - I suppose the car was somewhere in my subconscious, though.  Anyway, when I first registered at TheSims.com I had to think up a screen name fast, and my mind went blank until I suddenly thought of using one of my sims' names!  and that was the first one that came into my head.

Zephyr Zodiac
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2005 October 24, 11:00:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We had a Zephyr Zodiac, when I was a child, as the family car. It was, as I recall, a silver monster of a thing. Ah, random thought... sorry.  Wink

Meh...
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2005 October 24, 12:28:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wasn't the Zephyr originally from Lincoln?  Or am I thinking about something from the 1930's?  I'm way too fat and lazy to look it up.

Here's what I've learned from the BBS, and I consider it important:  When a game has a sufficiently large and diverse audience, the official BBS will eventually be overrun by total idiots and become unreadable.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2005 October 24, 14:47:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the idiots will claim the moral highground, establishing idiocy as the only appropriate world view, and dumb down all discourse, so that anyone who is not an idiot will be attacked and abashed and made to feel ostracized because intelligence will be made to seem socially unacceptable. The BBS gave me valuable insight into the attitudes of indulged teenagers who think that everyone deserves a bene and 5 stars all the time because ratings systems are clearly only there so that everyone can be rated "excellent".

Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2005 October 24, 15:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the idiots will claim the moral highground, establishing idiocy as the only appropriate world view, and dumb down all discourse, so that anyone who is not an idiot will be attacked and abashed and made to feel ostracized because intelligence will be made to seem socially unacceptable. The BBS gave me valuable insight into the attitudes of indulged teenagers who think that everyone deserves a bene and 5 stars all the time because ratings systems are clearly only there so that everyone can be rated "excellent".
you hit the nail on the head. and now over in retardo land we have those same overindulged kiddies showing up to complain and cry that we here at MATY do nothing except poke fun at the posters on the BBS

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2005 October 24, 16:11:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the idiots will claim the moral highground, establishing idiocy as the only appropriate world view, and dumb down all discourse
Ain't it the truth?  What's worse is, the intelligent posters will eventually find someplace else to post leaving the field to the idiots.

Any time there's a "bene" system in effect, there will be people begging for them.  It encourages some pretty low behavior.  I didn't get to be the second Supreme Social Sim (after Pinstar1161, creator of the Legacy Challenge) by begging for benes.  I got it by reseaching the heck out of the game and writing up what I'd found.  The only time my signature even *mentioned* benes was right after Christmas when we got an influx of new people who needed to be educated that there was a bene system in place. 

I guess the whole effect of the bene system is something else I learned from the BBS.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2005 October 24, 16:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the idiots will claim the moral highground, establishing idiocy as the only appropriate world view, and dumb down all discourse
Ain't it the truth?  What's worse is, the intelligent posters will eventually find someplace else to post leaving the field to the idiots.

Any time there's a "bene" system in effect, there will be people begging for them.  It encourages some pretty low behavior.  I didn't get to be the second Supreme Social Sim (after Pinstar1161, creator of the Legacy Challenge) by begging for benes.  I got it by reseaching the heck out of the game and writing up what I'd found.  The only time my signature even *mentioned* benes was right after Christmas when we got an influx of new people who needed to be educated that there was a bene system in place. 

I guess the whole effect of the bene system is something else I learned from the BBS.

Hook

The bene system to me is futile as people give out bene's over nothing .I rarely ever give bene's or sign guest books .perhaps thaat's why I am still after almost  2 years on the BBS a tongue tied tourrist .and community rank of pollination technician.

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2005 October 24, 17:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im about the same age as that car..I cant remember the exact title but for some reason it reminded me of that book. Buick was in the title- it was some sort of transport machine (living thing actually) to another dimension and it sent weird oddities to earth and killed a few people.

The name of the book of Stepen King you are referring too is "Christine" that devil car.  Maybe I should rent the movie been a long time since I saw it...
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2005 October 24, 18:14:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The name of the book of Stepen King you are referring too is "Christine" that devil car.  Maybe I should rent the movie been a long time since I saw it...

Actually I think the book you are referring to is "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King. If I recall correctly, Christine was a '50s model Ford.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2005 October 24, 20:47:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I think the book you are referring to is "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King. If I recall correctly, Christine was a '50s model Ford.

Oh yes sorry, it would make more sense too lol
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2005 October 24, 21:15:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are right. I am reading that book right now. I love Stephen King. Smiley

I learned from the BBS that it is very difficult to learn anything at all from the BBS, unless you use the Search Tool and sort by Highest Rated.
Even then, the results are somewhat dubious. Undecided

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2005 October 24, 21:19:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are right. I am reading that book right now. I love Stephen King. Smiley

I learned from the BBS that it is very difficult to learn anything at all from the BBS, unless you use the Search Tool and sort by Highest Rated.
Even then, the results are somewhat dubious. Undecided

dont forget rarely if ever does a question ever return an answer with out ranting and raving about how the new expansion pack is a bunch of bugged trouble and the worst ever.

virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2005 October 25, 02:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the beginning, I found the BBS pretty useful and helpful. I realised it all was going downhill when the "What should I name my sim" posts started to spread out like a virus. Roll Eyes I mean the best thing I learned from the BBS is that it makes a BIG deal for gameplay if you name your sim Cynthia instead of Cindy! Shocked

So of course you need to consult other simmers about this huge dilemma since your game will explode into a big fiery ball visible from space if God forbid! you give your sim the "wrong" name. And of course you need to give the fellow simmers lot's of "benes" cause they helped you save your game from ultimate doom! Roll Eyes

Ah..so glad we have the BBS to help us out with these important issues.... So what do you guys think is the BESTEST namo for my female simo? I was thinking Betty but maybe it would trigger the jump bug to appear... BTW..I already tried "boolprop" to fix this... And I don't use hacks, they are evil..possesed by satan himself! Roll Eyes

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: