More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:12:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 742032 times)
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #200 on: 2007 October 18, 22:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If using a SecuROM free version of Sims 2, yes.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2007 October 18, 22:55:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the thing, the method she's referring to turns securom off leaving in on the computer in a way but keeping it from turning itself back on or replacing the file you've modified. She wants to be able to play BV and other SecuRom games, those are not securom free, she does not want to use any kind of nocd method.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2007 October 18, 23:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If she wants to play games protected by SecuROM and not use a no-CD crack, then she needs to forget that SecuROM is installed and simply play the game.

If she is having no technical problems due to SecuROM, there is really no need to worry about it.   If she is having problems, she needs to determine whether she wants to play games protected by SecuROM.

In Sims 2, SecuROM is in Sims2EP6.exe.  The stuff placed on the hard drive seems to be mostly temporary files.   Sims2EP6.exe will generate whatever temporary files it needs when it runs, no matter what you have done to remove traces of SecuROM from the hard drive.  EDIT: If it cannot, it throws up an error box and quits

It occurred to me that CmdLineExt.dll wouldn't be installed if it was not needed, and Sim 2 runs fine without it, so I went back and looked at my logs.  Sims 2 has built into it a program called "CmdLineExtInstallerExe.exe" that it places in a temporary directory and runs when it cannot find CmdLineExt.dll or the version of CmdLineExt.dll does not match what is expected.  CmdLineExtInstallerExe.exe will create a new copy of CmdLineExt.dll in the temporary directory.  The 'hidden' SecuROM registry entry is used to point to it. 

So, even if you delete the one in \Windows\System32, next time you fire up Sims2EP6.exe, it will create one in \Document and Settings\(user)\Local Settings\Temp.

Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2007 October 18, 23:20:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lordrichter, I just want to make sure that I understand what is being said.  In JCSpencer's post that I quoted, it says that when you turn SecuROM off using the method of replacing the .exe file, that SecuROM will never load or install again.  I assumed that this was because when it checked or touched the file, the file was turned off and therefore there was nothing for the .exe file to do (i.e. load, mess with the computer, etc.).  Are you saying that this is incorrect? 

BTW, I am definitely having problems with SecuROM and that is why I need it stopped.  I would like to try this method first (if possible) before I resort to messing with the registry.  The truth of the matter is, I'm lazy.  If this will turn SecuROM off and I never have to deal with it again, then I'm all for that.  I'm just not sure that I'm going to remember to check files and mess with stuff later on when I patch or install new games.  I don't like to mess with things unless I absolutely have to.   Undecided  See what I mean -- I'm lazy.   Grin
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2007 October 18, 23:34:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only way to stop SecuROM from being run is to replace Sims2EP6.exe with a no-CD version that disables SecuROM.

In every other situation, Sims 2 either repairs SecuROM so that it functions normally or it quits running and displays an error.

I've been poking a bit at SecuROM this evening watching the self-repair mechanism built into it.  It is very robust.

Edit: Want to add that on my system here, a no-CD version would probably be more of a problem than SecuROM, so I haven't tried any no-CD versions and don't have them.   I have verified on my system that SecuROM has no detectable adverse effects, so far.  The main point in what I am doing is to verify or refute what EAxis says about SecuROM without depending on anecdotal statements.
SecuROM is very touchy about being watched, and there is a legal limit to how far I will go in watching it, but most of what I am interested in is how the computer behaves when Sims 2 is not running.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 19, 00:09:06 by lordrichter » Logged

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2007 October 19, 06:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

UAService7 only installs itself if you run the game as a limited user. It won't install itself if the only user account is an admin account.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2007 October 19, 12:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

UAService7 only installs itself if you run the game as a limited user. It won't install itself if the only user account is an admin account.

Yeah, I figured that out too late -- just as I figured out that SecuROM was installed on my computer too late.   Tongue 

I'm still trying to find a way to use the "turn off" method.  I know I should just give up and delete the keys from the registry and use the removal method, but there have been people who have said that removing SecuROM caused other problems with their computers that then forced them to reformat.  Reformatting is sort of a no-no with our computer situation (long story), so I'd like to try the least invasive method first before I am forced to move to the harsher remedies. 

If anyone knows how I can make the "turn off" method work, or has an idea about how it might be possible, I'd love to hear from you.  I know there are a lot of computer geniuses out there that are so awesome that they can come up with a way to make it work.   Grin Grin
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2007 October 19, 15:21:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anyone knows how I can make the "turn off" method work, or has an idea about how it might be possible, I'd love to hear from you.  I know there are a lot of computer geniuses out there that are so awesome that they can come up with a way to make it work. 

Didn't we just go over this whole general idea the other day re: messing with permissions in the registry? The answer is "No". Someone brings out the bunny with the pancake on it's head, malformed idea continues to be brought up, answer doesn't change. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2007 October 19, 16:12:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lordrichter, have you determined what are changes Securom makes to a system?  After the uproar, I got curious, but there but is actually zero information out there on the changes it makes.  Just a lot of misinformation and suppostions.  Not a peep from the malware people, which tells me a lot.  When the Sony rootkit came along, there was a lot of interest from the professionals and people analyzed it to death. 

So far, have you determined any permanent changes that stay even after the game is shut down?  And when you say the program is touchy about being observed, what did you mean.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2007 October 19, 16:16:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still trying to find a way to use the "turn off" method.  I know I should just give up and delete the keys from the registry and use the removal method...

If anyone knows how I can make the "turn off" method work, or has an idea about how it might be possible, I'd love to hear from you. 

Sugar (and I feel funny calling you that, I admit), if you are referring to a discussion of this on another MATY thread, I recommend reading to the end of the thread.  The "turn off" method is not recommended for several reasons.  It leaves the offending software/malware in place rather than taking out the trash.  Consequently there may be consequences associated with it's continued presence in the registry.  There are many people here who can not afford to "lose" the data on their computers, but who have found the secuROM removal process successful.  Naturally, backup of your system is recommended before doing anything that might affect it.

Disabling things in the registry and leaving them there is potentially dangerous to the health of your system and would be a way to potentially cause you to have to reformat, rather than prevent such an occurrence.  It's also a sloppy way to address the problem.

Tribulatio proxima est
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2007 October 19, 16:47:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jolrei, here is the original information that I quoted back to:

EDIT #2: I just found this online. Sounds a little too easy, but it also makes sense logically. Posting it here to see what any of you might think.

The easiest way to remove it without using additional software, is to go and delete it from the \windows\system32\ folder (I think the filename is UAService7.exe).

Then make a text file with the same name, in the same directory, and then right click the file, and make it "Hidden" and "Read Only". Then go into Control Panel/Admin/Services and disable/stop the SecuROM service. It will never load OR install ever again, and you are forever ridden of SecuROM but can still play all SecuROM games.

I found the information in this thread on page 6. 

As you can see, the method doesn't turn things off in the registry or mess with the registry.  It turns SecuROM off in the Services panel.  Since I don't have the executable file necessary to do the swap out of files (I have the cmdlineext.exe file), I was hoping that someone could tell me how to complete this method some other way. 
bowlwoman
Blathering Buffoon

ESTJ and/or ISTJ. Take your pick.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2007 October 19, 17:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally got SecuCRAP off both my desktop and laptop (I had Pet Stories on the laptop and therefore SecuCRAP).  I did notice that after I went through all the steps, my screen saver/power settings were changed on both the laptop and desktop.  Instead of going to a screen saver like I had it set up to do, the power settings made the computer shut down/hibernate after 5-10 min of inactivity.  Not that it's a big deal to change the settings back to "never," but I thought it was interesting to note at least.

Speaking of Pet Stories, does anyone know where I can get a good, reliable, no-cd crack sans SecuCRAP?  I went to gamecopyworld and there was a no-cd crack listed, but I don't do much ARR-ing and I'm not sure if the file is reliable or not.  Anyone have a good source for one?  I went ahead and uninstalled PS from my laptop, but if I could find a good SecuCRAP work-around I might go ahead and re-install it.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2007 October 19, 18:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of Pet Stories, does anyone know where I can get a good, reliable, no-cd crack sans SecuCRAP?  I went to gamecopyworld and there was a no-cd crack listed, but I don't do much ARR-ing and I'm not sure if the file is reliable or not.  Anyone have a good source for one?  I went ahead and uninstalled PS from my laptop, but if I could find a good SecuCRAP work-around I might go ahead and re-install it.
I somehow prefer gameburnworld to gamecopyworld. Try that site, it's way better and reliable in my opinion. I hadn't go there in a long time though, haven't need to...
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2007 October 19, 18:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sugar, if you really want to guinea-pig that method of defanging SecuROM, mightn't it be easiest to delete it the official way here, and then simply create a backup account for simming and other infected games?  It'd be a little extra work, but might be the safest way to get it all done.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: 2007 October 19, 18:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I somehow prefer gameburnworld to gamecopyworld. Try that site, it's way better and reliable in my opinion. I hadn't go there in a long time though, haven't need to...
The Vitality crack for Pet Stories hosted on GameCopyWorld is the only one available and a reliable one.

Personally, I find GameBurnWorld less reliable than GCW, as GBW don't list the release group name and release date clearly. Looks cleaner though, as they don't put up as many ads as GCW.

bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2007 October 19, 19:24:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Vitality crack for Pet Stories hosted on GameCopyWorld is the only one available and a reliable one.

Personally, I find GameBurnWorld less reliable than GCW, as GBW don't list the release group name and release date clearly. Looks cleaner though, as they don't put up as many ads as GCW.
Yep, might be the looks that got me... GCW sure looks like a mess Sad
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2007 October 19, 19:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sugar, if you really want to guinea-pig that method of defanging SecuROM, mightn't it be easiest to delete it the official way here, and then simply create a backup account for simming and other infected games?  It'd be a little extra work, but might be the safest way to get it all done.

Unless this backup account is on a different computer, there are no real way of segregating changes so they only affect only one account.  So this is not safer in anyway.
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2007 October 19, 20:11:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I said guinea-pig for a reason.  I'm happiest just running BV-less, but if she really wants to try questionable SecuROM controls more power to her.  If she finds out something useful it'll be good for the rest of us, and if her computer blows up she might learn to listen to people who know what they're talking about.
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2007 October 20, 12:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really appreciate how helpful everyone is trying to be.  I know that I sound a little paranoid, but I'm an infant when it comes to computer stuff (I know just enough to get me in trouble -- I'm not awesome at all), so I always check everything out several times before I actually make a decision.  That caution has paid off many times.  I just wish I had been that cautious when I decided to install BV.   Cry

The "turn off" method is appealing to me because it has been possible to turn off things in the services menu for quite a while, so I feel that this method is tried and true.  It doesn't feel like an experimental attempt at all.  My only problem is that I don't have the .exe file needed to turn the program off and I need to figure out how to do it with the files I have.  I guess that could be considered the experimental part.   Undecided

I know that many people have deleted the keys from their registry and installed the no-cd crack without problems.  However, I have read some posts where this HAS caused problems for people.  Since I have the "unholy hybrid" (the game plus the patch), I worry that I will be one of those at risk.  And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not allowed to reformat my computer, so I need to make sure that whatever I do doesn't cause a disasterous problem. 

People here have been telling everyone to read up on the SecuROM issue because the net is full of information about it.  Well, I have been reading and something that gave me pause about using the regular removal method discussed here is something I read over at wrongplanet.net.  The poster worked in security.  He doesn't like SecuROM, but warns people about cracks in general:  "I let my cert expire a while ago, so I won't recommend against buying one copy and downloading another. Just go over your downloaded one with 3 or 4 different AV/anti-trojan scanners before you use it, because half of the cracked stuff I've seen has had non-Sony rootkits in it, and those are even less fun than SecuRom. Stuff in RAR format seems to be especially bad, since few AV packages know how to see through the compression like they do with ZIPs, etc."

As I mentioned earlier, If possible, I would like to try the least harmful method first, and then move on to methods that might be more likely to hurt my computer.  But no matter what, I do want to get SecuROM off my computer.  If for no other reason, I need to see if that is what is causing the problems I've been having. 

So, although I know that many of you want to just tell me to shut up and use the delete/crack method, I would really appreciate it if anyone that might have the knowledge to help me with the "turn off" method would speak up and let me know their thoughts.   Thanks again to everyone.

sluggo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2007 October 20, 17:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

..., I would really appreciate it if anyone that might have the knowledge to help me with the "turn off" method would speak up and let me know their thoughts.   Thanks again to everyone.

The problem is, it's not the .exe that causes the problems, but the actual registry entries. "Turning off" the .exe will only disallow it to do  more harm, If you're not presently having problems and are too unsure about deleting the registry entries, and are using the NOCD, go ahead and take a leap of faith (I would still go ahead and disable the cmdlineext.exe file). If you're planning on "turning off" and expecting to go ahead and use the original TS2-.exe to start the game, I really don't think that would work as people have reported the original TS2-.exe is what allows it to "phone home" and/or re-establish the reg entries. Disabling the cmdlineext.exe file here may throw errors.
  Btu then again, I'm totally not awesome, and I'm just talkin' shit here.
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: 2007 October 20, 18:18:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course some cracks out there can have bad software in them, pirate junk isn't exactly regulated.  However, when people on a savvy site are pointing you towards a trusted source for a crack, it should help ease your mind.  If a good site suddenly had a malicious link up, there'd already be warnings to stay away from that version, and go elsewhere.

And you don't have an unholy hybrid.  That reference is to someone patching the game and then using a cracked .exe, which, at this point, is only available for the original .exe.  The patch changed the executable file, so some of the benefits of the patch might not be present if you switch out your .exe.  If you're worried about the patch situation, uninstall/reinstall and don't patch the game.  It's not a recommended course of action around here anyway, and any issues with the game have fixes here for them.

Finally, leaving registry keys in the registry that are potentially damaging, or just plain not in use anymore is potentially a very bad thing.  Here's my anecdotal evidence:

I don't like reformatting.  If I have to reformat and reinstall the OS, I view it as a loss in my battle of domination over my computer.  Anyway, I had an HP with a failing HD, as many HPs from 99/00 were wont to do.  So, I format my new HD, get everything all ready to go, install it as a slave, and copy over every single file from the old HD onto the new one.  Make new HD the master HD, boot up the computer, and everything seems fine.  Until I try to open anything with HTML, then the OS crashes.  Browser?  CRASH.  Help?  CRASH.  (Help files are full of html goodness.)

At the time, I was at college with a 24/7 Tech helpdesk, so I called them up, they were baffled.  I set up an appointment for later in the week, but I figure they'll just tell me I need a fresh install on the new HD, so I get back to work.

A couple hours later, I found my problem.  Guess what it was?

Leftover registry keys from a Microsoft language pack I had installed to display asian characters.  I had gotten sick of looking at boxes.  It seemed to slow my computer down a bit, though, so I had uninstalled it.  That uninstall process had left keys in the registry, though, and that was enough to screw up my computer later.  Since then, I've made it a practice to keep my registry as clean as possible.  So the SecuROM thing would definitely piss me off, even if there were no compatibility issues currently.

I'd suggest deleting all of the keys, and any attempt to kinda avoid it is something silly and time-wasting that will really only benefit you in that it might make you feel better.
FlareStorm
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2007 October 20, 18:32:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been running patched BV with the original cracked exe from the BV no CD thread. No problems.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2007 October 20, 19:28:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My advice would be leave securom there, unless you know it's causing you a problem.  I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.  I don't agree with EA.  Making changes to people's systems that cannot be undone by uninstalling the game is wrong.  Installing stuff that prevents other software from running is damn wrong.  They have no business preventing programs like Daemon tools and Alcohol 120 from running. I think that's a big part of the uproar.  People are pissed off, and rightly so.  However, since it's installed on your system the harm is done.  If it's not actually causing any problems, and you aren't computer savvy, you might do more harm than good tinkering around.  Leave it be. 
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2007 October 21, 07:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SecuRom wasn't even EA's business to switch with. I bet they got tired of people stealing their games which will still occur. I bet they'll keep on trying to get rid of pirates, but that will never happen. No matter what the protection, somebody WILL find a way around it. The only thing they might change is their customer base. Securom does cause problems, but not as many problems as Starforce does (and it's why some companys have gone away from starforce, like ubisoft because they knew people would not buy games that use starforce)

SecuRom, right, or wrong? Wrong, since the ONLY legitimate way to remove is to uninstall The Sims 2. Not a viable option. I'd rather never have it installed in the first place. It has removed my ability to use daemon tools for some programs that I just don't want to dig out my CD for (BF2142, BF2. Digging out the CD is too much of a hassle)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2007 October 21, 07:49:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uninstalling does not remove SecuROM. There is no "simple" method of removing it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: