More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 20:29:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 746603 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #175 on: 2007 October 17, 04:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try this:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006050909471013

I just got Norton cleaned off someone's laptop with this tool.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 2007 October 17, 12:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try this:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006050909471013

I just got Norton cleaned off someone's laptop with this tool.

Thanks Witch, but I already used this tool at Norton's instructions. It didn't resolve the issue. If I can manage to get the SecuRom off my computer, I'll know if it is the culprit or not.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 2007 October 17, 14:22:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, first let's establish something basic.  Do you actually have the uaservice7 service on your computer?

Go to Start>Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter.

Scan your list for Securom User access, if you find it  double click on it, click Stop and then set it to Disabled.

It's now got its teeth pulled.

We'll see about removing it if you can confirm it's actually there and running

PS.  Maybe Ritcher could confirm the exact name of the service.  My information might be out of date.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 17, 14:34:30 by angelyne » Logged
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 2007 October 17, 14:38:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, first let's establish something basic.  Do you actually have the uaservice7 service on your computer?

Go to Start>Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter.

Scan your list for Securom User access, if you find it  double click on it, click Stop and then set it to Disabled.

It's now got its teeth pulled.

We'll see about removing it if you can confirm it's actually there and running

Actually, I didn't find it. I also searched for the specific file under windows/system32 and didn't find it. Perhaps I don't have it? Another VISTA user said they didn't. I did install BV under my Administrative account.

I still have the miles long key under HKEY_USERS though. I haven't been able to get that out yet. Probably because I am still struggling with mastering DOS commands. I was successful in deleting the "CAUTION_NEVER_DELETE" key though.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 2007 October 17, 15:25:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I figured.  It was the same for me.  I had the registry key but not the service.  And only the DO NOT DELETE user registry key, which I deleted.

So I think Securom is not an issue and your Norton is just misbehaving, as antivirus are wont to do.

Maybe try uninstalling Norton from safe mode, if it will allow you.  Sometimes uninstallation in safe mode are better, because you have less issues with locked files.

Antivirus are tricky sometimes, because they are so much like malware themselves (by necessity).  They protect their files and processes in order not to be easily defeated by malware.  It makes uninstalling the thing sometimes difficult and the process can go awry to such a point that it's easier to simply restore.

However, just before you are ready to give up and go for a reformat, try one last thing.  Go to Accessories, System Tools, System restore.  Go back to a restore point that before all your issues started.  This should not affect your data (although back them just in case), but it will set the clock back if you want and undo all the system changes that were done, including installations of software.  Anything installed will be gone, all registry changes undone (including the Securom changes you did, which you will have to redo).

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 2007 October 17, 16:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I figured.  It was the same for me.  I had the registry key but not the service.  And only the DO NOT DELETE user registry key, which I deleted.

So I think Securom is not an issue and your Norton is just misbehaving, as antivirus are wont to do.

Maybe try uninstalling Norton from safe mode, if it will allow you.  Sometimes uninstallation in safe mode are better, because you have less issues with locked files.

Antivirus are tricky sometimes, because they are so much like malware themselves (by necessity).  They protect their files and processes in order not to be easily defeated by malware.  It makes uninstalling the thing sometimes difficult and the process can go awry to such a point that it's easier to simply restore.

However, just before you are ready to give up and go for a reformat, try one last thing.  Go to Accessories, System Tools, System restore.  Go back to a restore point that before all your issues started.  This should not affect your data (although back them just in case), but it will set the clock back if you want and undo all the system changes that were done, including installations of software.  Anything installed will be gone, all registry changes undone (including the Securom changes you did, which you will have to redo).

Sadly, I do not have such a restore point. I don't know if it was my general un-awesomeness or some sinister behavior by SecuRom, but when I checked (hoping to avoid having to do all the tedious/terrifying mucking about in my registry) there were none. My earliest one is after Norton started acting up.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 2007 October 17, 16:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed an increase in computer or even game performance since removing SecuROM?
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 2007 October 17, 17:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game performance has altered little, but my DVD Burner software now works.  Before I payed closer attention, I actually went out and bought new (yucky) software for it that was "SecuROM Compatible".  With a No-CD executable and SecuROM removed, my old software functions properly again.  Also, no random hits on my firewall.  I don't know if everyone sees this, but my computer kept trying to contact someone or something about every 15 minutes before I removed SecuROM.  Now it doesn't do it at all unless I tell it to.  Again.  Finally.  The gods of sand that were compressed into chips to make my computer are happy again.  Techno-Shaman rule.
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 2007 October 17, 18:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed an increase in computer or even game performance since removing SecuROM?

It's already been established that I need moar rams and graphics for my game to run 100%, but I have noticed a slight improvement since getting the malware off my computer. And my computer certainly runs better now that I've repaired all the software issues SecuRom caused. I think YMMV according to how many problems it's gifted you with. If you've not had the unfortunate experience of all it's many "gifts", you'll likely not notice too much difference. That being said, it's still a good idea to remove it, in case those "gifts", or perhaps a better word would be "features", decide to show up later.

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: 2007 October 17, 18:17:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so after reading topics/posts on this issue for 4 days now, I'm gonna ask(probably stupid questions) to re-re-recheck I'm doing this right.
Yes, I'm very paranoid about my computer.

First, is it safe to install BV from the disc or should I use a torrent instead? If I understand things correctly, I can use the disc so long as I avoid the original .exe.
I've been using CureSecuROM to scan for SecuROM on my computer. This WILL get the job done, right? Even if I do just use the disc to install, running the scanner will have it off immediately, right?
Second, using Invisigoth's advice in the beginning of the "BV and no CD?" thread will keep me safe and running smoothly, so far as intelligence goes.

And has anyone found a way around the conflicts between nVidia and BV? I tried updating my drivers and no go.(I have an 8600 GT)

"Please proceed into Android Hell."
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 2007 October 17, 18:19:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sadly, I do not have such a restore point. I don't know if it was my general un-awesomeness or some sinister behavior by SecuRom, but when I checked (hoping to avoid having to do all the tedious/terrifying mucking about in my registry) there were none. My earliest one is after Norton started acting up.

Lol.  If Securom was a person, I'd feel sorry for him.  He would probably be blamed for the war in Iraq.   

I had the same situation as you.  Some registry entries and files, but no service running.  My restore points are all there.   So dunno what happened.  To clear your restore points, you need to turn off system restore, and then turn it back on.  Have you done that in the past?

The removal tool has a linkie "what if it didn't work"  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006100312110513?Open&docid=2006050909471013&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=docid&pid=2006050909471013&pkb=sharedtech
did you try the instruction there?  And also try their removal tool in safe mode if that doesn't work.

After that I'm out of ideas. 

lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 2007 October 17, 18:29:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, so after reading topics/posts on this issue for 4 days now, I'm gonna ask(probably stupid questions) to re-re-recheck I'm doing this right.
Yes, I'm very paranoid about my computer.

First, is it safe to install BV from the disc or should I use a torrent instead? If I understand things correctly, I can use the disc so long as I avoid the original .exe.
I've been using CureSecuROM to scan for SecuROM on my computer. This WILL get the job done, right? Even if I do just use the disc to install, running the scanner will have it off immediately, right?
Second, using Invisigoth's advice in the beginning of the "BV and no CD?" thread will keep me safe and running smoothly, so far as intelligence goes.

And has anyone found a way around the conflicts between nVidia and BV? I tried updating my drivers and no go.(I have an 8600 GT)

It's ok to install from the disk. Do not run the game after you install. Before you run the game you must replace the game exe with the no-cd game exe. Make sure you change your desktop shortcut for the Sims so that it points to the Sims2Ep6.exe and not the Launcher.exe (or whatever it's called).

I can't answer your question about CureSecuRom because I've never used it. If you've only run the game with a no-cd, you shouldn't get SecuRom.

nVidia has notorious issues with Sims2, switch to ATI. Wink

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 2007 October 17, 18:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the help, Angelyne, your patience is duly noted, no more ideas are expected. I did use the Norton Removal Tool and the Safe Mode. Never have cleared my restore points, I've made some now, but that's just closing the barn door after the cow's gone.  Roll Eyes

After my last Windows update, things are even worse: I can't update my drivers, my temp file gives me error messages... Angry  I may do another system restore and see what that does.

I'm not surprised that SecuRom gets blamed for everything. The whole sneaky way EA put it in our systems, the fact that you need a LOT of knowledge or balls ovaries to get it off your system, the whole "I am not a rootkit, I just look like one" business. If SecuRom were a person, it would be the fat, uninvited uncle that stays in your house for weeks. Of course when you find the silver missing and the toilet seat broken, he's the one you suspect.  Tongue
DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: 2007 October 17, 18:55:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's ok to install from the disk. Do not run the game after you install. Before you run the game you must replace the game exe with the no-cd game exe. Make sure you change your desktop shortcut for the Sims so that it points to the Sims2Ep6.exe and not the Launcher.exe (or whatever it's called).

I can't answer your question about CureSecuRom because I've never used it. If you've only run the game with a no-cd, you shouldn't get SecuRom.

nVidia has notorious issues with Sims2, switch to ATI. Wink

Thank you!

And switching out video cards is easier said than done.

lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 2007 October 17, 19:05:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you!

And switching out video cards is easier said than done.

As I recall, there was a prior issue with nVidia cards causing blue-screen and it was fixed eventually. It has since returned. I have no business giving advise on this subject because I'm running ATI. IIRC, there's a thread about this somewhere. Pescado has said before though, the solution might not always be to "upgrade" your drivers, you might try rolling back to one you know works.

DJKID
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: 2007 October 17, 19:10:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I recall, there was a prior issue with nVidia cards causing blue-screen and it was fixed eventually. It has since returned. I have no business giving advise on this subject because I'm running ATI. IIRC, there's a thread about this somewhere. Pescado has said before though, the solution might not always be to "upgrade" your drivers, you might try rolling back to one you know works.

Yes, I've heard that advice too. However, I found a more recent post that suggested upgrading, so I thought I'd try that before I started rolling back.

And yes, there has always been a nVidia issue. I've used nVidia since the beginning so I dealt with the BSOD until they finally fixed the issue... THEN REBROKE IT. UGH.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 2007 October 17, 19:36:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not surprised that SecuRom gets blamed for everything. The whole sneaky way EA put it in our systems, the fact that you need a LOT of knowledge or balls ovaries to get it off your system, the whole "I am not a rootkit, I just look like one" business. If SecuRom were a person, it would be the fat, uninvited uncle that stays in your house for weeks. Of course when you find the silver missing and the toilet seat broken, he's the one you suspect.  Tongue

Oh you mean a fat obstreperous jerk ? Cheesy

I'm weird.  I actually like the launcher.  It happens too often that I click on the sims and go...Damn, forgot to transfer something to my download folder <smack head>.  Then I have to kill the program or wait till it finishes loading.  The launcher is easier.
Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 2007 October 18, 18:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just in case:
The Link  to Mark Russinovich's Tool RegDelNull in the first post is shorted and thus broken  (you can't just copy and paste such abbreviated links and expect them to work Wink
Mind the [...]
The complete Link  is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/RegDelNull.mspx
Now it works on Firefox and Opera as well.

-le
sluggo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 2007 October 18, 18:33:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just in case:
The Link  to Mark Russinovich's Tool RegDelNull in the first post is shorted and thus broken  (you can't just copy and paste such abbreviated links and expect them to work Wink
Mind the [...]
The complete Link  is http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Miscellaneous/RegDelNull.mspx
Now it works on Firefox and Opera as well.

-le

Then, again, if you follow the first link:

Ok, kids. The instructions are in bits and pieces in the EA official admission/excuse thread, but it's getting long and understandably hard to find. These instructions have worked for several posters, myself included:

1. Follow the guidelines below ripped from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/98241-13-remove-securom-malware-uninstalling-bioshock-demo:

not only will you get the link to RegDelNul, but the full instructions on how to remove the maulware SecuRom

Silly how that works, huh..?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 2007 October 18, 18:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, my point in quoting that page was so that people wouldn't have to tab back and forth. No idea how that link became malformed. Fixed now.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 2007 October 18, 19:22:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had copied and pasted the same instructions on my LJ, it became malformed there too. The link apparently does not like to be copied and pasted with the surrounding text but seems fine if you copy the individual link and paste it on it's own.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Sugar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 2007 October 18, 19:49:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am very interested in stopping the madness when it comes to SecuROM.  I would very much like to give this method a try:

EDIT #2: I just found this online. Sounds a little too easy, but it also makes sense logically. Posting it here to see what any of you might think.

The easiest way to remove it without using additional software, is to go and delete it from the \windows\system32\ folder (I think the filename is UAService7.exe).

Then make a text file with the same name, in the same directory, and then right click the file, and make it "Hidden" and "Read Only". Then go into Control Panel/Admin/Services and disable/stop the SecuROM service. It will never load OR install ever again, and you are forever ridden of SecuROM but can still play all SecuROM games.

My problem is that since I only have one user account on my computer, and it has administrative privileges, I don't have an executable file -- I have the cmdlineext.dll file instead.  Does anyone know if there is a way that I can still make this "turn off" method work?

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 2007 October 18, 21:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can I be sure it's gone? I think I got it all, but I would love to have a complete list of everything to search for to be sure. I've already checked for "uaservice7" and "SecuRom" followed Li'l Brudder's steps... Being entirely un-awesome and having mucked about in my registry with no smoke spewing out of my machine, I'm wondering if I missed something. I still have a folder in my registry:

It did have a SecuRom folder under Software which I deleted. It also looks differently (with all the essential folders under it) than others I've seen . It's possible that i f***ed it up and did something more un-awesome than usual.

If in fact it is gone, my Norton still fails. I have some more complicated steps to follow from Norton Tech help. We'll see if that works.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 2007 October 18, 22:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am very interested in stopping the madness when it comes to SecuROM.

My problem is that since I only have one user account on my computer, and it has administrative privileges, I don't have an executable file -- I have the cmdlineext.dll file instead.  Does anyone know if there is a way that I can still make this "turn off" method work?

As near as I can tell, the file cmdlineext.dll is not needed if you are running as Administrator.  It is a registered DLL, so you can't just delete the file and hope it goes away (Windows keeps a copy around for just such an occasion).

You have to open a Command Prompt, change directory (cd) to the Windows\System32 directory, then run this command: regsvr32 /u cmdlineext.dll

Once you do that, it can be deleted.

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 2007 October 18, 22:38:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to open a Command Prompt, change directory (cd) to the Windows\System32 directory, then run this command: regsvr32 /u cmdlineext.dll

Once you do that, it can be deleted.

Yes, but would that allow her to keep SecuRom on her system in a dormant state? She wants to leave secuRom on her system but shut it off completely, that way she can play games as per-usual even if they have SecuRom and not bother with the no-cd key method.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: