More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:59:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW  (Read 742002 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« on: 2007 October 08, 02:14:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a shiny tutorial available at Reclaim Your Game. It has pictures!

There is also a handy removal tool HERE.

Revised 8/4/08
Rewrite notes
LAST EP is used to refer to the last EP you have installed. You only have to worry about applying a crack to that one. This could be BV, FreeTime, ApartmentLife…whichever is the last-released one you have.

How do I get rid of that nasty, interfering DRM?
Quote from: muridae
Download regdelnull.exe and place it in C:\
Go to "Run" and type in "cmd", then type the following:

cd C:\
regdelnull hkcu -s
regdelnull hku -s

The two regdelnull calls above will scan the whole of HKEY_CURRENT_USER (abbreviated to HKCU) and HKEY_USERS (abbreviated to HKU). It's possible you may find other null registry keys during the scans, since you're not targeting *just* the SecuROM keys doing it this way. regdelnull will prompt you with the full pathname of every key it finds though, which will contain the name "SecuROM" if it's one of the ones you're after, so you can check names and only respond "y" to delete those two.

Follow the guidelines below ripped from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/98241-13-remove-securom-malware-uninstalling-bioshock-demo:
* Step 3: Removal of the Securom service and related utilities.
Open a Windows command prompt and change directory to "c:\windows\system32". Type "uaservice7 /remove". This will stop the Securom user access service, and clean up its relevant registry entries. On the Windows command prompt type "regsvr32 /u cmdlineext.dll". Reboot and then manually delete the files "uaservice7.exe" and "cmdlineext.dll" from "c:\windows\system32". Note: Both of these files are Securom installed files which can be verified by checking their file properties (Right click - Properties).

* Step 4: Removal of Securom files under "C:\Documents and Settings".
Securom installs a hidden directory with 6 files under "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom". The first 4 ordinary text files can simply be manually deleted once Windows explorer has been configured to show hidden files and folders. The two remaining malformed nominally unremoveable files require a special method to delete: Invoke a Windows command prompt with full Administrator privileges by typing the following into a Windows command prompt: "at <your current time + 1 minute> /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe" e.g. "at 9:02pm /interactive %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe". This will open a new Administrator command line when the time set has been attained. In this new command prompt change directory into the Securom folder e.g. "cd C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom". Issue the following command to show the two remaining hidden malformed files: "dir /A". To delete the two remaining hidden malformed files issue the following command: "del /F /AH *". Confirm "yes" for each of the two file deletions of the malformed files. Finally, the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Administrator name>\Application Data\Securom" can be deleted as per normal practice from within Windows explorer.

2. Double check your registry files. Still see any keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER---Software---Securom? Just delete the suckers. Won't blow up.

3. If that damned SecuRom folder still can't be deleted, even after correctly following the instructions above, download DelinvFile from http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/dldelinv.htm . Run the executable and find the C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Securom folder and open the sub-folder. (Sorry, mine's gone, but I believe it was named "User Data"). On the right, choose each malformed file and delete. Go back into My Computer and delete that SecuRom folder for once and all.

4. To not get it again, you need to start loading from a no-CD crack. I get mine at gamecopyworld.com. I recommend any versions by Fairlight. Make sure that, if you have patched your game, you get the patched version of the crack. Go to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 LAST EP\TSBin" and change the name of the crack to whatever you like. Then place the crack in the same folder. Make a shortcut to this on your desktop, and run the game from this new shortcut.

I haven't yet installed one of those SecuROM EPs. How do I make sure I never have to deal with this?
Simple. Follow #4. Get a no-cd crack. Use it and never use the game's included Sims2EP#.exe (where # is the number of your last EP), which is the file that contains SecuRom.

Random Questions that have popped up since the opening post:
See this post.

Moderator edit: added a link to the Reclaim Your Game Securom Removal Batch file
« Last Edit: 2009 May 09, 17:31:32 by BastDawn » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
Re: How to get rid of SecuRom, NOW
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 08, 02:17:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah... about that original .exe renaming thing. I didn't do that. My original .exe is history. Am I going to need it if I decide to patch?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 08, 02:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah... about that original .exe renaming thing. I didn't do that. My original .exe is history. Am I going to need it if I decide to patch?
Maybe. I accidentally patched Seasons once with the crack in and it went. I'd imagine (and I'm talking out of my ass at the moment) that it depends on where the patch is making changes.

Here. My 4shared drive still has a lot of room left in it.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 08, 02:47:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 08, 02:54:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you check your registry? My brother built my computer and if I have any problems, he usually takes care of it, but he's not awake now. And I've never had to do anything with the registry before.
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 08, 03:01:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you check your registry? My brother built my computer and if I have any problems, he usually takes care of it, but he's not awake now. And I've never had to do anything with the registry before.
Regedit or Powershell.  For Regedit do Start > Run and type in regedit in the box (In Vista, just type regedit in the startmenu box).
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 08, 03:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can we sticky this please.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 08, 03:08:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It doesn't matter that the original exe is gone; you can get a clean .exe from the disc. Click explore and then open the TSBin folder. Copy the Sims2EP6.exe and paste it here: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSBin.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 08, 03:20:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, maybe I'm mildly retarded here, but I can't seem to download the fixed executable file.

Edit: Never mind, it appears that neither Firefox nor Opera could download it, strangely. Internet Explorer worked just fine.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 08, 03:52:45 by Flamingo » Logged
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 08, 04:19:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't get that RegDelNull program to work. I downloaded it, extracted it and when I double click on the file, a box pops up for a fraction of a second, and nothing else happens. Is there some trick to the program?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 08, 05:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't actually run RegDelNull. You just install it on C:\. Then go to the Windows command prompt and follow the rest of the directions.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 08, 05:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did that, but I'm unsure what to do next. My brother told me to go to Start/Run and type in "cmd". Well, I did that, but then when I typed in that first line it tells you to enter, I got some message about C:\ not being a command or something. I think it's because it's already pointing to my My Documents folder and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. My brother said he hasn't used that in ages, so he doesn't remember.
SimKat
Asinine Airhead

Throws hissy fits.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 October 08, 05:57:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah I did this about a week back and it works,no more sukurom on this PC.
I mailed this link too a friend so she could get it off her comp as well.Thanks Zaz.

Don\'t take life too seriously,you don\'t get out alive anyways.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 October 08, 06:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did that, but I'm unsure what to do next. My brother told me to go to Start/Run and type in "cmd". Well, I did that, but then when I typed in that first line it tells you to enter, I got some message about C:\ not being a command or something. I think it's because it's already pointing to my My Documents folder and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. My brother said he hasn't used that in ages, so he doesn't remember.

I don't think it's advisable to mess with the registry if you don't know how to use some simple DOS commands. 
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 October 08, 06:11:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's advisable to mess with the registry if you don't know how to use some simple DOS commands. 

Ok, then how else can I get rid of SecuROM?
Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 October 08, 06:27:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason you're having problems is that RegDelNull probably isn't installed.  The OP did a poor job of checking the link.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/regdelnull.mspx, download RegDelNull and place it in C:\, then you'll be able to run the command.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 October 08, 06:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the problem is actually that ShortyBoo doesn't know how to do a cd command.

Stickied, and added to the FAQ.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 October 08, 06:37:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, here's the problem. When I open up the DOS prompt, I get this: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8803/yafsscreen003gh0.jpg If I type anything, it tells me it's not a correct path, but I can't figure out how to remove what's already there (the C:\Documents and Settings/Krystan) Does that make any sense? I'm not exactly computer illiterate, (I manage to do most basic stuff like formatting drives, installing parts, etc) but I've just never had any reason to do anything in DOS.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 October 08, 06:42:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, here's the problem. When I open up the DOS prompt, I get this: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8803/yafsscreen003gh0.jpg If I type anything, it tells me it's not a correct path, but I can't figure out how to remove what's already there (the C:\Documents and Settings/Krystan) Does that make any sense? I'm not exactly computer illiterate, (I manage to do most basic stuff like formatting drives, installing parts, etc) but I've just never had any reason to do anything in DOS.

Type
cd c:\windows\system32
Raene
Asinine Airhead

Blah.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 October 08, 07:20:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not for the RegDelNull portion of the instructions, if ShortyBoo did unzip it to C:. You have to be in the same directory as the program to use the program.

~Raene/Nikki
Eventually I might plop something of interest here.
dusty
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 October 08, 07:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh right, I was reading steps ahead of that.  Then type "cd\"  to get back to C: (no quotes) shorty. 
This site may help http://www.computerhope.com/cdhlp.htm
Akharra
Corpulent Cretin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 October 08, 12:32:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fankoo!

Formerly known as Tess.

All those that believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 October 08, 15:19:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason you're having problems is that RegDelNull probably isn't installed.  The OP did a poor job of checking the link.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/regdelnull.mspx, download RegDelNull and place it in C:\, then you'll be able to run the command.
Ahem...
I think the problem is actually that ShortyBoo doesn't know how to do a cd command.
Precisely, and if you read the quoted material (not my work, but I wasn't going to retype something that was already there), it stated to download it and put it into C:\, not to run it. However, I understand the temptation. Ya'd think that, given an .exe, you should run it.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
lefty
Blathering Buffoon

Objecti- GAH!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 October 08, 19:55:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alrighty folks, so for being unawesome. Got to this step and am a little stuck.

Where can I find the Computer specific key? I tried the numbers on one of the folders, and then I clicked around in all those folders looking for something similiar to what is in the instructions, but I stumped at the moment.

Gosh.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 October 08, 20:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is down lower. Under HKEY_USERS. It doesn't reference SecuRom, but is in that super-long s-1-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx format.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: