More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:36:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (updated for Seasons)
0 Members and 3 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (updated for Seasons)  (Read 452750 times)
KevinTMC
Lipless Loser

Official THANG and Insular Person

View Profile WWW
Re: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (pre-Pets only!)
« Reply #50 on: 2006 November 20, 18:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe the thing to do, then, would be to:

1) Follow Jordi's pre-creation instructions, installing SaraMK's empty templates also if desired.

2) Run OFB using Numenor's BaseGameStarter, and create the new neighborhood according to the rest of Jordi's instructions. Add subhoods based on the blank templates as desired. Save and quit.

3) Undo the file and folder changes from step 1.

4) Back up the new neighborhood.

5) Launch Pets, open the new neighborhood, wait for it to generate animal spam, then save and quit.

6) Per Pescado's instructions upthread, find the new NXXX_SuburbN file that was created in the new neighborhood in step 5. Pull that single file out of the neighborhood; replace the neighborhood folder with the backup from step 4; then add the NXXX_SuburbN file back in.

That ought to work, right? My custom neighborhood seems to be okay and this process was what I went through, with the exception of step 2 (instead of using Numenor's tool, I created the neighborhood under NL before ever installing OFB and Pets).

I am a compulsive post-editor. Any and all of the above is subject to change, within the first 15 minutes or so after it is posted. (Or longer, if I'm trying to make it funny.)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006 November 20, 19:26:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Using those steps, do you have any strays?
KevinTMC
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2006 November 20, 19:30:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no animals whatsoever, just yet.

I am a compulsive post-editor. Any and all of the above is subject to change, within the first 15 minutes or so after it is posted. (Or longer, if I'm trying to make it funny.)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006 November 20, 20:04:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disturbing… as there is no spawner yet either. Thanks for testing in any case.
KevinTMC
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 2006 November 20, 20:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Disturbing"? Shocked Should I be worried about this neighborhood? Should I have followed some instructions other than Pescado's?

(It'd be easy enough for me to load my pre-Pets backup and just let Pets install the 50-odd characters it tried to add to my custom hood...and I presume one could thin some of those out later in SimPE...)

JanaFantastic
« Reply #55 on: 2006 November 23, 14:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've follow the step with the OF. While having pets. Everything seem to work well. All strays were created again.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: 2006 November 23, 16:17:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay this is weird. As I said, I have Pets. I tried the renaming method the other night and still ended up with a folder full of character files, so I assumed it had not worked and later deleted the hood without playing it. I forgot about renaming the N001 folder under Program Files back. Yesterday I created another new hood, thinking I was going to end up with the usual Goopy and Ben. First odd thing I noticed was that I was getting different NPCs. No Dagmar or Pao delivering the mail, no Maura or Neil the fireman. Eventually I realized that it must be because of the folder being renamed. So, maybe this *does* work for Pets, but you still get loads of char files? Tongue Maybe all of those were just animals...I didn't think to look at them in SimPE before I deleted the hood.

I did get strays and wolves and skunks without having to spawn anything btw, and at least some of the strays are the default ones (Scout the little black dog and Allegra the grayhound or whatever she is).

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006 November 23, 20:22:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They obviously don't bother looking for "P001" like they do with previous EPs. They just dump whatever data is in the hood template folder to your documents hood folder?

Morague
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2006 November 25, 00:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've just managed to get a clean neighborhood with Pets installed - no chanracter files whatsoever. It's a combination of doing what Jordi, Kevin & Pescado said.

1) Downoad the empty templates & follow the directions
2) Do Jordi's Planning stange & rename the N001 template files
3) Download Numenor's Base Game tool
4) Start the Base game tool & create a dummy neighborhood - this will be N001 under the "The Sims 2 - NL" or whatever name it comes up with when you picked your Base Game options
5) You need to know how what the correct next number a custom neighborhood will have in your Sims game, in mine it was N005, so I had to create another dummy neighborhood in the base game tool & then finally the Neighborhood I wanted - so three in all, 1 for Pleasantville, one for N004 which I already have & then finally N005 - my new neighborhood.
6) Ok then just exit from the Base game tool, and copy the N005 neighborhood from it's folder into your proper Sims2 folder under My documnets
7) Start TS2 & choose the new neighborhood. It will generate the pets.
Cool Exit the game, go to your N005 folder & delete all of the folders & files except the N005_Suburb001.package
9) Copy the N005 subfolders & the N005_Neighborhood.package & N005_Neighborhood.png from the Base Game tool folder to your normal Sims2 folder.
10) Now start TS2 & add whatever districts you want. ** the empty templates do not work with the Base game tool, you have to add the districts to the actual game, but the empty templates work perfectly.

Then start creating sims per Jordi's instructions.

Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006 November 28, 04:59:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well... you can try to delete the characters in
my computer/drive * (*= the drive your game is in)/programs/eagames/thesims2pets/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplates/P001/Characters
howeverthis may muck up the game unless someone edits the P001_Neighborhood file, !testing is needed for this theory!

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2006 December 01, 14:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, let me see if I have got it right  Huh
Right now I have Uni, NL, Gl, FF and OFB installed ... and my CC hood still runs fine.
If I, after creating a back-up of my hood, install Pets, load the game + hood, exit game, remove all in the hood folder except of the N005_Suburb001.package and add the nostrays hack, copy my back-up to the hood folder ... then I should be able to play with my CC hood, without any of EAīs strays showing up, right  Huh  Huh  Huh

Rose

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2006 December 01, 16:47:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

only if the suburb_001 is the only suburb you have. You need to copy the latest created, that's the one that's added with petz. If you already had a suburb you'd just be copying your old one.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2006 December 01, 17:33:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

eeeeeh ... I donīt understand. Sorry!

I thought that the Suburb001.package was something that came with Pets ... is it not  Huh

Rose
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2006 December 01, 19:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe I'm alone in this but...

When Pets came out, I created my neighborhood by renaming the character templates for Uni, NL, and OFB. I originally tried to rename the Pets templates, but it caused crashing when creating a hood. I restored the Pets templates and removed "nostrayrespawn" and tried again. This time, it created the neighborhood just fine. I then spawned my townies but never got around to playing.

After reading this, I checked my character files. All I have are the strays, the one sim I created, and the townies that were spawned. Nothing extra.

So as far as MY game is concerned, this method works abeit without being able to get rid of strays.
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2006 December 02, 00:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

eeeeeh ... I donīt understand. Sorry!

I thought that the Suburb001.package was something that came with Pets ... is it not  Huh

Rose

If you have OFB every new shopping district you create makes a new suburb_00X file. So if you had 2 OFB districts before you installed pets, pets will create a suburb_003 file. That's the one you need to copy. If you don't have any OFB districts than the suburb_001 file is the file created by pets.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2006 December 02, 12:28:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay ... I get it now ... and I do not have any Suburb00X yet ... Thanks Smiley

Rose
KevinTMC
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 2006 December 02, 16:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay...I've got something worrisome in my neighborhood now, after following the steps outlined above.

The hood was animal- and additional-sim-free after following Pescado's instructions for upgrading to Pets. It is still additional-sim-free. But SimPE now shows a grand total of 57 Unknown sims.

All of them appear identical (all but one, which has a "Life Section" setting of "Unknown" rather than "Adult"), and none of them appear to contain any actual character data at all in any of the panels of the SimPE character view.

How did this happen? How bad is this? What should I do?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2006 December 04, 22:15:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I followed Kevin TMCīs advice and installed Pets, loaded my hood, exit game, removed the hood files ( - Suburb001) added my backup and have played all evening. There were some strays, even with the nostrayrespawn

Originally there were 156 character files

In the folder I removed after installing Pets, there were 223 character files.

In the folder that I added, there are now 172 character files

I donīt know if this is useful for some of you, but now you know ... I havenīt looked in to SimPE, I wouldnīt know what I should be looking for  Roll Eyes

Rose
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2006 December 05, 02:55:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well I got another idea.
you could
A: with the base game tool follow the instructions to make a neighborhood in page one plus subs, then make your NPCs and townies then check the amount of characters
then play with the normal game and let the game spam some pets in then delete the unwanted npcs and pets till you get to the previous number of character files eg. if you had 45 characters and the game gave you a mere 25 more then delete the 25 till you get 45  files left
Or
B: get rid of them damn files in the drive

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2006 December 05, 08:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done A. If I can find those instructions for cleaning up templates, I'm going to try to clean P001. I still need to find a way to generate strays on demand though.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2006 December 05, 08:50:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

simple. just spawn it with the mail box or using the townie tree

*Ella whine*
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2006 December 05, 08:54:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done A. If I can find those instructions for cleaning up templates, I'm going to try to clean P001. I still need to find a way to generate strays on demand though.
Animals are already generated on demand, if you don't have norespawn.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2006 December 05, 10:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Including strays? Good news.

Giggy: maybe I'm blind, but I can't find PETS on there.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2006 December 05, 10:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you actually want your neighborhood populated by dozens of random animals, you could just leave nostrayrespawn out. The randomly generated animals are actually quite acceptable compared to the horribleness of townies, but on the other hand, you may not necessarily want a bunch of critters wandering around all the time, causing spammed memories and relationship markers everywhere. Better to leave them in the adoption pool for you to pick.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2006 December 05, 19:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Including strays? Good news.

Giggy: maybe I'm blind, but I can't find PETS on there.
its under EP4

*Ella whine*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: