More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:27:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (updated for Seasons)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (updated for Seasons)  (Read 452747 times)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (Pets updates)
« Reply #25 on: 2006 October 26, 06:59:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zerth: did you rename the P001 folder?

Jelenedra: I haven't tested that scenario. Bluewater should not spawn extras (except perhaps a reporter), but NL and Uni might. I really need to test if renaming the templates is enough to stop this.
Zerthimon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 October 26, 16:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Should I have?  Because I renamed the N001 folder (double checked, tried it a couple times), and remain unawesome.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 October 26, 17:01:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have Pets and don't want default Pet crap, apparently yes, you should.
Zerthimon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 October 26, 18:53:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the default strays don't bother me that much.  But trying again, renaming both folders...crashes.  Creates a new "N001" folder.  The invisible pets neighbourhood becomes visible. So, no dice, at least for me.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 October 26, 19:01:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You must not be following the instructions correctly.
Zerthimon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 October 26, 19:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright. I reset everything and tried it once more-and I know there's no point in arguing "I followed the instructions"-"Then why doens't it work".  But it crashed again. 

For the record, it always crashes when generating "Pets".  I'm going to give it a rest before I FUBAR something important. 
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 October 26, 19:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pretty weird…

I'll have to do some more checking. You can do what Pescado recommends: leave P001 in place, and make a backup of your 'hood in SimPE (or just copy the package) before first loading the 'hood with Pets. Then replace the neighbourhood package file with the pre-Pets one.
Zerthimon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation
« Reply #32 on: 2006 October 26, 19:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimPE it is.  Thanks for the quick replies.

(EA did not have to make this so hard.  Townie creation should be a box on the create neighbourhood screen.  Though they probably would have messed that up, so eh.)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 October 26, 20:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Agreed!

They should have given us the option to import defaults, or start with new custom townies.
Zerthimon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 October 26, 20:39:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They could have had a collection of theme sets for the lazy people-retirement community, young community, "hip" district.  And new randomized townies.  Instead, we get weird noses, plaid shorts, and in the case of this moron, constant crashing

We're in an abusive relationship with EA!
CrabOfDoom
Asinine Airhead

death by tray it shall be

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 October 26, 20:53:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There must be something I'm not doing right, as well. I'm running Pets, for reference.

I have tried renaming the Program Files... Neighborhood N001 folder to "N001-bak" and "N001 -bak", and both times, the whole boatload of instant character files came with the custom hood. I put both the "no townie regen" and "no dormie spawn" mods in my downloads folder, but the files were always there. I tried using "deleteAllCharacters", but the pop-up said they'd be regenerated when I visited the first lot, and they must've been, because the tree generated the 30 townies it was supposed to, but there were 280+ character files when I saved and checked. The instructions say the mods will stop the spawning, so I added one each of the sub hoods (all blank terrains except Bluewater,) and don't advise against waiting, so I went ahead and added them.

Are the character files still being generated stray pets? I don't mind, if that's the case, but I'm not skilled/alert enough to tell the difference between types. But my favorite neighborhood is fast approaching its fiery ball of death threshold, and I'd prefer this new hood be as clean as possible for the clones. I've tried the directions three times, and it's getting really frustrating.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 October 27, 12:05:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay ... I have a CC hood, created from Necīs tutorial, and it works fine, so I now want to add my own CC pets to the hood ( I have installed the EP, but havenīt loaded my hood yet, so I guess that itīs not harmed yet) .. so how do I prevent that the game fill my hood with a lot of unwanted dogs and cats ?

Do I do the Rename-N001-Folder thing
or
do I use Pescardoīs No Stray Respawns thing

Huh

And what is that with some invisible hood  Huh  Huh  Huh ... I did a seach and couldnīt find anything that made sence ... or maybe itīs just that Iīm danish ... or both  Roll Eyes

Rose
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 October 27, 12:07:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pets is not well tested and therefore unknown. The above is only valid for XP3 and the two SPs, XP4 is an unknown factor.
Mizz Rose Bud
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 October 27, 12:22:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, thanks Smiley
Iīll just wait then, and keep playing my other hood Smiley

Rose
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 October 27, 14:44:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zadan: saw it, and linked to it.
Nice collection of hints.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 October 27, 14:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zadan? Where is Zadan? I don't see anything... *whistles*
shanpooter
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 October 28, 01:00:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whenever I attempt to create a new neighbourhood after renaming N001, the game quits and the invisible "Pets" neighbourhood becomes visible (I can't do anything with it though).  I get a whole new N001, defaut townies and all.

I have the same exact problem.  I'm pretty sure I am doing everything correctly.  This was working perfectly before I put pets in last night, now the game crashes upon creating "Pets."  What seems strange to me is that I haven't renamed anything related to pets.  I renamed the N001 folder, and have put in the empty templates.  This does not happen with previously created neighborhoods though.  The game is able to create "Pets" and with no problem.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 October 28, 01:16:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about creating a new hood with the "New Hood" button?  Guess I need to do an experiment here...

BTW, I'm getting more and more corrupt Groups.cache and Accessory.cache files since installing Pets... so if your game suddenly quits loading past the first splash screen -- just delete those and all will be well!

Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 November 11, 17:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thought I'd share my experience with Petz.
I renamed the Program Files\...~...\Neighbourhood Template folder, and installed 'no stray respawn', hoping that my game wouldn't spawn the usual bunch of strays. The results were somewhat interesting. The stray part seems to have worked, so far I have not seen any strays on any of my lots. No wolves were present either, my game generated one after about an hour of gameplay.
Some parts were less succesfull; the Crittur and Roseland family had been spawned, and the standard 3 animal cops and 2 obedience trainers too. Also, when phoning the pet adoption, I got the same list op pets as in my other hood, where I had not renamed the Neighbourhood Template folder.

EDIT: Sod it, karma is a bitch. Renaming that folder seems to have FUBAR'ed my hood. 3 sim minutes after loading my lot, lo and behold, little black doggie Grace walks by, the same friggin stray that all my other hoods have. Apparently all strays did spawn I was just lucky enough to not see them for a long time. But it gets worse. Pissed off, I load a different hood, one that had already spawned all petz stuff whilst the folder was NOT renamed. And my bloody game starts creating all that stuff all over again! Now I have two of everything, strays, Critturs, and those blasted pre-made families in their fugly houses  Angry RAAH!
« Last Edit: 2006 November 11, 18:11:58 by Eleonora » Logged

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 November 19, 13:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Pets and I tried to do this last night...I renamed the correct folder in step 1 but I still ended up with a whole slew of character files. Maybe Pets changed something?

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 November 19, 16:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought about this after you left the chat last night -- did you check the character files in SimPE?  I'm wondering if they're the default pets and strays the game creates....

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2006 November 19, 16:26:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I haven't checked them yet...I have the game open right now but I'll check later. There are a *LOT* though...IIRC around 165  Shocked

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 November 19, 16:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, that sounds like way too many -- if memory serves, there's only 80-something created when you load a new hood that pulls from the N001 template. So it may be them plus strays....

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2006 November 19, 16:51:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* JenW double-checks

k it's actually 157 files...still way too many.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Tutorial: Clean custom neighbourhoods + townie creation (pre-Pets only!)
« Reply #49 on: 2006 November 20, 09:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Warning added to first post. Even if it does not always corrupt 'hoods, it is nonfunctional under Pets. Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: