More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 02:45:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Simlish fonts
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Simlish fonts  (Read 17792 times)
LilAbner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Simlish fonts
« on: 2006 May 25, 11:27:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anybody know if it's possible to download the simlish fonts that's used in the game? Would love to use them for the posters that I'm making for my game.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Simlish fonts
« Reply #1 on: 2006 May 25, 11:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you had a good look around MTS2?  Seems the most likely place to me.

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 May 25, 16:36:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In The Sims 2, most text is only distinguishable at very close zooms. On book covers, newspapers and Nightlife's "Sims Must Wash Hands" sign, the lettering is all nonsense characters that bear about as much resemblance to Latin characters as they do to Cyrillic. No actual characters from any known alphabet are used. When Sims are writing novels or term papers, dingbats from the Wingdings font appear as text on the screen. (They look strange, even from a distance, because they are blue on gray and because the font is monospaced.) Finally, the notebooks used for homework contain writing that appears to be composed of random lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlish

If you make posters I would use wingdings or a Cyrillic font - just write in English ~(or whatever) and copy it into the font

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 May 25, 16:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose you could even design your own characters.

Zephyr Zodiac
LilAbner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 May 25, 17:14:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I've seen both wingdings and greek letters. Even downloaded a bunch of posters and paintings with those fonts. But even though I like them (otherwise I wouldn't have downloaded them of course) I still think "hmmm... greek, not simlish" when I look at them.
I wish I were a good font maker, then wouldn't bother to ask!  Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 May 25, 17:37:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not use one of the scripts from the Lord of the Rings, and just alter it a bit? Or maybe from a less well-known series - there's plenty of them about.  Or just go to the library and get a book on ancient inscriptions etc.

Zephyr Zodiac
ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 May 25, 17:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A combination of all of the above? That way, even translating in Babelfish won't help simlish illiterates. (um, like myself, for example)

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 May 25, 17:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what you actually put in your posters doesnt have to actually MEAN anything - just look good!

Zephyr Zodiac
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 May 25, 18:08:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what you actually put in your posters doesnt have to actually MEAN anything - just look good!

In fact, it might even be better if it *doesn't* mean anything.  I downloaded some restaurant menu placards and posters from MTS2 that use a Simlish-style font, but the letters are so similar to English that you can still read the signs if you look closely.  If you're going to do something like that, at least scramble the order of the letters so that it looks like something written in a completely different language.

Karen
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 May 25, 18:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fact, if you put a lot of thought into what you do, you may well make some really excellent posters - most posters you get are simply rehashes of existing commercial ones, yours could be your own individual work!

Zephyr Zodiac
Myth
Pinheaded Pissant

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 May 25, 19:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims font free download

Edit: It's not used in game, it's the graphics font from the logo made into an alphabet.
« Last Edit: 2006 May 25, 19:24:03 by Myth » Logged

Rohina: Motion to Expel Myth from the Senate. Just testing an hypothesis. Nothing to do with the fact that she smells like ass.
Flowerchile: Have you be'd norty again Mythie?
Mythchick: No, I just followed Rohina around a little and now smell like ass.
LilAbner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 May 25, 19:16:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In fact, it might even be better if it *doesn't* mean anything.  I downloaded some restaurant menu placards and posters from MTS2 that use a Simlish-style font, but the letters are so similar to English that you can still read the signs if you look closely.  If you're going to do something like that, at least scramble the order of the letters so that it looks like something written in a completely different language.

That's exactly what I mean. I don't want it to mean anything, but I want it to look like real letters. So if I use say greek letters I can still figure out what it says (or if I scramble the letters I'd go "what the fudge is 'förgsptff'?"). But the simlish letters sort of look like an alphabet, but still impossible to see what it actually says.
Syera
Exasperating Eyesore

A well-stocked toolkit can fix anything...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 May 26, 17:09:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you wanted your very own non-Roman alphabet, you could design or download something here...
http://alphabet.tmema.org/

The BogSims Institute - We've been updating these days...
LilAbner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 May 27, 08:26:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. That was really cool. I'll check it out!  Grin
spacewolfcub
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 September 27, 16:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I was searching for Simlish fonts in the new style I stumbled upon this thread. I'm not into necrophilia, but I just have to give you the great answers I found to the same question:

1) A discussion noting the differences between the Sims2 and the Sims3 fonts, in case you were wondering how different they are
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/43865.page

All the following links are for the new, Sims3, style font...

2) A TimesNewRoman style of simlish font
http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,77301.0

3) A ComicSansSerif style of simlish font
http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=9a3f6d67fe7ba3b75530bee8c8360e40&/topic,78312.0

4) A gothic calligraphy style of simlish font
http://thesimsupply.com/showthread.php?tid=456

And may the gods have mercy on my soul for disturbing the dead.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

INTJ:I44-N38-T12-J1
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 September 28, 00:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WTF?  You resurrect a fucking 4+ year old thread for that shit.  Given the OP who asked has only had 31 posts what makes you even think they are still here, or even interested for that matter?

You really think it was THAT fucking important to resurrect a long dead and buried thread?

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 September 29, 00:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. Enough is enough. Stop with the necromancy. Stop. Seriously. In two days, I have clicked on at least four threads that were necromanced. We are courting a ZOMGzombie apocalypse. Will no one think of the children?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: