More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 05, 18:09:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6515 Members
Latest Member: mirol
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New SimPE w/gender pref
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New SimPE w/gender pref  (Read 20566 times)
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
New SimPE w/gender pref
« on: 2005 August 14, 22:08:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They tried to make it all pretty but the gender pref seems to be backwards.  Can't get a friggin answer at their website.  Has anyone else noticed this?  It is pissing me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
Re: New SimPE w/gender pref
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 14, 22:29:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like they have "Woman" and "Man" backwards. Tongue

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 14, 23:26:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sticking to the one I have!

Zephyr Zodiac
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 15, 00:32:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It seems the old ones were more stable.  Why try to make it so fancy?  The one before this one hung all the time when I tried to save anything.  I think SimPE is great and sure there are going to be bugs but I would think *someone* would have noticed the male and female backwards thing.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 15, 01:04:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From what I gathered they were so concerned with the object creation point of view that they weren't really bothered about the player's aspect.

Zephyr Zodiac
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 15, 01:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Come on, who cares about the player, anyway?

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 15, 01:16:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JMP?

Zephyr Zodiac
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 15, 01:29:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True.  I forgot about him. 

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 15, 01:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In all fairness, the male/female preference slider is not easily noticed when it is in error, as by default, these bars do basically nothing. If the settings are wrong, it won't be noticed for awhile. See if SimPE's result jibes with what you get on a character data dump when you select him and force an error on him.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 15, 02:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I already did that before I posted to complain.  I also tested with Lizzlove's gender pref hack as well.  They are backwards in SimPE.  It does matter if you don't want sims autotomisly flirting with a certain gender and also if using romance mod of course. 

Why take a great thing and add all these bells and whistles no one cares about?  christianluv doing same thing with All-In-One.  Taking a great item and making it into a boated piece of crap.  Just fix the bugs.  If I want to see great graphics, I will go outside.  If I want bells and whistles I will go watch a high school band.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 15, 03:45:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering what was going on when I used InSim's Personal Stats menu in the sims, and they were showing up the opposite of what I had set them to be.  For instance, I set General Buzz +1000 Woman and -1000 Man, and his sats show somewthing like -999 Woman and 995 Man!  So what others are saying about SimPE being backwards makes sense.  How annoying. 

And speaking of the new SimPE, while some things are easier, such as the Family ties editor where you can see the family trees, I don't like how the older relatives without character data now show up as Unknown with a Mr. Potato Head icon!  Someone asked about it over at SimPE's forum, and I posted that I was having similar problems, and quaxi has not responded yet.  It is rather frustrating.
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 15, 04:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you told quaxi of your problems? If you don't tell him, he won't know!

I emailed him today with 3 things that are annoying me. 1 of them's minor, to do with the University grades.

The one that concerns me most is shown in the screenshot below. Basically, it's now possible to use SimPE to make your sim have a relationship with itself. I know that if you use the handheld and don't have JMP & TJ's Too Many Iterations fixes that the game can run multiple copies of the same sim, leading to sims wanting to see/Play with/etc themselves - but it worries me that this option is just sitting there in SimPE for anyone to fiddle with. Does it cause horrible game corruptions? I dunno. I do know that "schizophrenic" (not really - multiple personality disorder is closer to it) sims have character files twice as big as they should be.

You can also see from that screenshot my biggest current annoyance - the fact that in the new uber-graphical user interface, the sims in the Relationship panel are sorted in completely random order. Not by last met, not by name, not by GUID. Just random. In a moderate Neighbourhood (300 characters) it can take 5 minutes to scroll through to find the sim you want to add a relationship to. Multiply this by a couple of sims, and it's just frustrating.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 15, 05:14:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why don't you just install the old version, until the new version is fixed? I do it all the times. I have now the newest old version, downloaded only after the needed fixes were made.

It's very annoying to be all the time "beta-tester" - enough we do it with the hacks...Smiley. And even if you write at the forum there, you hardly receive an answer...Smiley.

If you don't have anymore the old version, e-mail me, and I'll send it to you.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 15, 05:52:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you told quaxi of your problems? If you don't tell him, he won't know!
Yes, as I said, I wrote him about it on his forum.

It's too bad the old versions aren't available after the new one comes out, like other sites will do, they will keep at least the version previous to the newest release available for download.  I think I will take you up on your offer gali.  I will be emailing you.
gillies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 15, 06:06:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Old versions back to 0.28 are available at sf.net -> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133134
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 15, 06:13:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is not good.  It appears that the latest rev of SimPE might corrupt character files.

I just did a test: I edited Meadow Thayer's number of semesters at college in the latest rev of SimPE.  It previously said "2" and I changed it to "8" with hopes of getting Meadow and her twins back to town right away so the kids could grow up.

I reloaded the game.  Clicked on the button to see Meadow's current skill levels.  The game crashed, hard.  The Windows notice popped up: "The application has crashed and will now terminate."  Repeated twice; this is consistent.  (Silver lining: It makes for a very fast way to exit the game!)

Restoring from the backup restored the game to normal operation, so the smoking gun is clearly in SimPE's guilty paw.  The only question is whether the corrupted file was the result of a software bug or an inept user; or perhaps both.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 15, 07:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eww, not good.  Below is what happened to me, which I posted at Quaxi's forum with nary a reply yet.  The thread was started by Zythe, who had a question about not being able to edit characters with no character data.  Quaxi responded a few times but didn't really understand the question I don't think.  Zythe's final question has not been answered by Quaxi and neither has the post by me describing the same problem.  And let me say that in the whole time I have been playing Sims, I have never had it crash my computer to the point where I had to do a hard reset.  Not even a nice little informative message like SimsHost described dumping you back to the desktop.  Nope, I was forced to wait through the whole computer bootup process as well after I finally realized that my computer was locked up nice and tight.  At least I was able to isolate the problem.

"I am having the same problem. I even had a problem with my computer locking up during the game, not just the Sims program, but my whole computer and I had to hit the reset button. I was making changes to Ripp Grunt's memories, and I accidentally changed the subject of his Potty trained by memory. I am sure it was Lyla Grunt, but it just says Unknown. So I used the hex number from his other memories for walking and talking, thinking this would fix it. Well, everything seemed ok until I loaded up the game and played for a bit, and my computer locked up solid. I wasn't sure at the time, but I think he had been caught cheating, and the game was trying to write a memory for it. After booting up my PC and the game and trying again, he was making out with a girl, so I think this must have been a memory marker too, and my computer locked up tight. So after resetting this time, I thought about what I had recently done, and I remembered what I described above. I went in SimPE and changed the three memories for potty, talk, and walk to General Buzz instead, and I had no further problems. However, I would like it to correctly show Lyla Grunt as the one who taught him. This is just one example of the problems I've encountered with not being able to see the names of the dead characters."
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 15, 08:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Old versions back to 0.28 are available at sf.net -> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133134

If you get the newest one off sourceforge, you'll notice that the archive contains both "SimPe" and "SimPe Classic". I use Classic all the time, myself. Same old UI, but with newer functionality.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 15, 08:47:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

rainbow, the file was "returned to sender" (Elvis, lol) - it is 2 mega, and perhaps your server doesn't pass such big files.
Better go to the URL above and download it, or send me an Yahoo e-mail (they pass big files).
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 15, 08:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you get the newest one off sourceforge, you'll notice that the archive contains both "SimPe" and "SimPe Classic". I use Classic all the time, myself. Same old UI, but with newer functionality.
I happen to favor the classic, myself. Because I'm old, and I have a long beard.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
gillies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 15, 09:21:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With the 0.44 version I had a lot of crashing when saving files, with the new ui it happened most of the time, with the old ui it happened every time - so I'm not sure about that either. I use 0.42 which seems to work pretty well, I prefer the old way of doing family ties and editing sim descriptions anyway but I am a huge fan of nice looking programs.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 15, 13:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have version 42 which is all I can get.  No matter how many times I download 44, I get 42 (not sure why I don't get 43, I've never even had a message telling me that was there).  As for the new interface, I don't have this blue one, I have the first new one that was brought in and I HATE IT.  It was bad enough having to alter the screen resolution on the old one to see the memories, with this I have to do it for everything and the text is so tiny I can't read it.  Once I found out how to go back to Classic I did, although it always opens in the new one when I want to edit files and it takes ten times as long because of it.  Sounds like I won't be even attempting to download the new one anymore if it has this many errors in it.

As for the sex preferences, what about the uncle/aunt and nephew/niece (or nice as SimPE calls it).  They've been upside-down ever since SimPE came out and STILL they haven't been altered.  I change them myself when I see them, but I often wonder what effect changing them (or not changing them) has on the game.  SimPE is a great program, but things like this shouldn't go unchanged for almost 50 releases.  Doesn't hold out much hope for the gender preference getting put right!

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 15, 14:36:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so I'm not crazy. I thought the gender preference meter looked backwards. I haven't touched that part of simpe since I dl'd it because it seemed out of whack. In the extended (or "more info" browser, I think it's now called) the values show up correctly, opposite of what the meter says. And I had no idea what was up with the Mr. Potato Heads. They all showed up as "elder" unknowns; I didn't realize they were deceased relatives. I have been losing character data after playing, coincidentally since the last couple of releases, like it's going out of style. Every time I go into simpe now i find two or three characters with "no character data" and have to replace their files. You think it may actually be simpe that's doing this? Then I'm going back to an older one. I think I have a backup zip file somewhere...If not, I'll try the link above.

And is anyone else still having problems with sim surgery? Every time I try to do anything other than "export", I get an error message. Gonna go check out the forum over there, although, like someone said, answers are frustratingly rare. There are a lot of unanswered posts. I couldn't play the game without simpe, though. Must get working version!
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 15, 15:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, the SimPE portraits have been wiggy for me for ages. Don't really mind it, as they just tend to get stuck on a previous age group. Sort of nostalgic, more than anything.

I don't really mess with my sims in SimPE, except for dealing with corrupted memories, and messing with custom content packages. I don't mind the new UI, but it is a little trickier to work out than the old one, mainly because it's got a bunch more buttons that let you interact directly with the UI, moving windows around and such. Say, I may have to write that down, and see if I can work it out. Increasing the interactivity of the UI itself increases the complexity of using the program. Hmm.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 16, 00:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eh, the SimPE portraits have been wiggy for me for ages. Don't really mind it, as they just tend to get stuck on a previous age group. Sort of nostalgic, more than anything.
That happens when you haven't updated a sim's appearance in the mirror since their age transition.  Since I use Pescado's clothing tool, all mine tend to be updated now because change appearance is invoked after planning outfits.

I don't mind the new UI, but it is a little trickier to work out than the old one, mainly because it's got a bunch more buttons that let you interact directly with the UI, moving windows around and such. Say, I may have to write that down, and see if I can work it out. Increasing the interactivity of the UI itself increases the complexity of using the program. Hmm.
You know, that reminds me of Windows...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: