More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 17:04:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What's your first impression of OFB?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's your first impression of OFB?
It's my dream come true - 5 (4.6%)
Stop bugging me I'm playing the game - 21 (19.4%)
What's OFB? - 3 (2.8%)
So far so good - 39 (36.1%)
I live in a bunker therefore I can't get it for a few more months - 40 (37%)
Total Voters: 100

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's your first impression of OFB?  (Read 68182 times)
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
Re: What's your first impression of OFB?
« Reply #125 on: 2006 March 03, 08:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally saw a new LTW in my Fortune Sim, which was to own 5 top-level businesses.  Anyone see any others?

A new LTW?! A new LTW!?!?! *jumps up and down*

Haven't seen any new ones because I've been playing.... a Grilled Cheese Sim, who has a community lot business selling... grilled cheese sandwiches. It's been an interesting adventure.

Unfortunately, he doesn't get his wants to serve grilled cheese satisfied by the "Make" or "Make Many" interaction.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 2006 March 03, 09:24:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally saw a new LTW in my Fortune Sim, which was to own 5 top-level businesses.  Anyone see any others?

So it's alright to have new LTWs for OFB, but not for Uni?  where's the logic in that?

Zephyr Zodiac
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 2006 March 03, 10:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Monique's computer let you take loans and charge you interest.
Link?  I never know where this mod or that mod is unless it's hosted here, or someone explicitly mentions that it's at MTS2 or some other specific site.

- Gus

It's on MTS2 - try here -
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64137

I love building as everyone around here knows, and I am trying to think of a useful decorating reason for that cheat...give me time, I will come up with one...*thinks*
4esf have separate headboards for the beds that go on the walls.  So you can do a mix and match.  Now you can put a picture over the headboard I guess.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 2006 March 03, 11:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So it's alright to have new LTWs for OFB, but not for Uni?  where's the logic in that?

We-ell, we DID have new LTW's for Uni. We didn't have LTW's before Uni.

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2006 March 03, 12:08:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A brilliant concept, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of new objects.   Yeh, there is a fair amount of new things but I would have expected more considering it's a whole new direction, and there was such high expectations for it (from me anyhow)....To harsh you think?  OH, and then we come to the mens clothes.  This is my main gripe with Maxis; most of the mens clothes are DORKY.  And they are still DORKY!   And it sucks that they haven't realised this, unless this is how THEY dress.  And that somehow makes it okay!? 
P.S. I did say most, not all. At least some of the stuff isn't tucked in now!). Grin

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Lythdan
Lipless Loser

Fingers in ears!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2006 March 03, 12:33:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, these are the people who gave us mens clothes with socks and sandals in the base game!

Photobucket has a dirty mind.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2006 March 03, 13:07:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

.com or .co.uk?  The UK one is shipping on precisely the day I was originally told they would.  As I think I mentioned then, it may be that Maxis have made a bigger effort to get the EP shipped abroad on time this time around!

.com.  I preordered it about a week before release date, and it originally said it would ship on the release date.  Now it's flagged as 'shipping soon', so I guess I'll get it sometime next week.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 2006 March 03, 15:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We-ell, we DID have new LTW's for Uni. We didn't have LTW's before Uni.

Sorry, it was late when I wrote that, I should have said for the new Uni careers!

.com or .co.uk?  The UK one is shipping on precisely the day I was originally told they would.  As I think I mentioned then, it may be that Maxis have made a bigger effort to get the EP shipped abroad on time this time around!

.com.  I preordered it about a week before release date, and it originally said it would ship on the release date.  Now it's flagged as 'shipping soon', so I guess I'll get it sometime next week.

Maybe next time you should order it from the UK site?  I'm expecting my game to arrive tomorrow - got the books today!  Now, if I'd been prepared to pay for First Class delivery, I might have got it today too, but I doubt it!

Zephyr Zodiac
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2006 March 03, 15:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks.  I downloaded it, but I'm kind of peeved that it doesn't charge enough interest on the loans.  6% per week?  I want crushing interest, like 6% per day.  After all, a "day" is kind of like a "year," and 6% APR is cheap for a loan.  I'll give it a shot sometime, but I have a nagging suspicion that it won't give me the feeling I want of broke college graduates living off of their credit cards.

For that matter, how is is that the bank stays in business, loaning out money at 6% per week but returning 12% per week on deposits?  Fortunately I'll never making a deposit into a savings account with this thing, since I don't need my game to be any easier.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2006 March 03, 16:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe Maxian wishful thinking?  They can't have it in Real Life, so they pretend with the sims?

Zephyr Zodiac
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2006 March 03, 19:12:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing the flower shop girl(knowledge).  What the heck are you suppose to do?  She is lazy and a bit sloppy so her needs go down fast.  She wants to learn which fill up her wants and her LTW is to be a mad scientist.  Which EP am I suppose to play? You can't work full-time run a business and have a social life.  She doesn't have enough money to hire an employee.  I got her business to a 5 and got a good review but not without cheats.  How are you suppose to have them have a full life without cheats?  I do like this EP--now I know what to do with the Montys.  But having a single girl with no skills and really no desire to run a business--have a business?? Is stupid.  I wanted to play the new characters as written but--I give up.  I hate puddle mongers and wish them to be sim binned if they don't have some modification.  So I shall play happily with my hacks.  I love hacks!!!
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2006 March 03, 19:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe Maxian wishful thinking?  They can't have it in Real Life, so they pretend with the sims?

That's a hack is it not?  Not Maxian

But having a single girl with no skills and really no desire to run a business--have a business?? Is stupid. 

I don't have the EP yet, so keep that in mind but this seems pretty close to real life to me.  A  lazy  unmotivated bookworm would not do well running a flower arrangement shop all on her own.  Heck she probably wouldn't do well as an employee less alone as an owner.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 2006 March 03, 19:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Motherlode isn't a hack - it's a Maxian cheat!

Zephyr Zodiac
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2006 March 03, 19:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While the EP installed fine last night, I wound up waiting 20 minutes for a two-person family on a small lot in Pleasantview to load.  No go, which was quite perplexing given I had defragged the drive and jumped through all the hoops prior to attempting to install.

Decided to bring back my downloads folder, defrag again, and enable custom content.  And delete the groups.cache file.  This time it worked.

I continue to marvel at the genius - and stupidity  -of  Maxis.  Why in the hell do we need three pages of stupid hats/head coverings and three new-but-very-crappy hairstyles for women?    Am almost afraid to peek into the clothing racks if that's the best they can do and I wish there was a way to dump that garbage out of the program and my hard drive (is there??).

I did notice that it appears that the same bottle of SmartMilk can be fed to a toddler; but it was too late last night to give it a try.

More exploration later tonight..
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2006 March 03, 20:39:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I continue to marvel at the genius - and stupidity  -of  Maxis.  Why in the hell do we need three pages of stupid hats/head coverings and three new-but-very-crappy hairstyles for women?

I'm actually quite fond of the medium wave hair. Reminds me of Marilyn Monroe or Greta Garbo. Very old-Hollywood glamour. Of course, it could also pass for suburban housewife. It has this vague ambiguousness that could go either way. I think w/ some retexturing it can really be a winner.
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2006 March 03, 21:21:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: ZiggyDoodle on Today at 01:54:01 PM
I continue to marvel at the genius - and stupidity  -of  Maxis.  Why in the hell do we need three pages of stupid hats/head coverings and three new-but-very-crappy hairstyles for women?

I'm actually quite fond of the medium wave hair. Reminds me of Marilyn Monroe or Greta Garbo. Very old-Hollywood glamour. Of course, it could also pass for suburban housewife. It has this vague ambiguousness that could go either way. I think w/ some retexturing it can really be a winner.

I like the new wavy hair and the side-parted, face-obscuring short do, which looks quite striking on the right sim.  The new men's hair is completely sucky, though. 
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 2006 March 03, 21:28:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Motherlode isn't a hack - it's a Maxian cheat!
  Oh lol.  I thought you were talking about the way Monique's computer gives you a high interest rate for money invested and a low one for money borrowed.  Quite the contrary to RL!
TheCheat
Corpulent Cretin

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2006 March 03, 22:01:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did anyone actually confirm the magical abilities of crafted Snapdragon flowers? Look here for the original post. Yeah, I know it's from the BBS, but it's still interesting.
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2006 March 03, 22:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't confirm for sure, but my Prima Guide says

Crafted flowers are decorative objects just like any other plant you'd find in the Buy mode catalogue; their sole function is to raise the environment score.   The higher the required talent badge level and the higher the materials cost, the greater the effect.    If the crafting fails however, it will do the opposite.

The snapdragon bouquet requires the craft badge level of gold to make.  If sims view this bouquet, they will receive a boost to all of their needs.    If the bouquet is "broken", the viewing sims gets a reduction in ALL needs and a nasty odour.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2006 March 03, 22:24:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angelyne - that too, I guess, but mainly the whole concept of something for nothing that is inherent in Motherlode!  I admit I do occasionally Kaching - but mostly if I've had to move a family out of a corrupted lot.  I have also occasionally used motherlode - but if it wasn't available, then I couldn't, and I'm damned if I'm going to sit there and Kaching 50 times!

And now you can move a family member out, and in again straight away, bringing with them 20,000 simoleons!  You don't even have to move them to another lot first so you can invite them over and ask them to move in!

Actually, when people complain about using hacks to cheat, it rather makes me laugh, the whole game is based on a series of cheats!  The Maxis characters were created with cheats!  They used cheats to build houses.  they.....

Zephyr Zodiac
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 2006 March 03, 23:14:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing the flower shop girl(knowledge).  What the heck are you suppose to do?  She is lazy and a bit sloppy so her needs go down fast.  She wants to learn which fill up her wants and her LTW is to be a mad scientist.  Which EP am I suppose to play? You can't work full-time run a business and have a social life.  She doesn't have enough money to hire an employee. 

I would move in a wealth sim or buy a servo and let them run the business and her be a mad scientist.  If she doesn't have enough money for an employee I would try the wealth sim - if they have the aspiration to earn $100 000 you can really do anything with that.

I'm not having much luck with my computer at the moment as it keeps crashing.  I'm averaging about 30 min - 1hr before I have to restart the **** thing so although I have peeked at OFB, I haven't been able to play it, but if I could I would do the above.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2006 March 03, 23:17:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sympathy - do you know why it keeps crashing?  And is it going to be expensive to fix?  I do hope not!

Zephyr Zodiac
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 2006 March 03, 23:34:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With no custom content, as I played last night, the loading times were normal.  If they are insane tonight with custom content, I'll be sad (and seriously doing a cull).

With no CC my loading times were fast and normal as well (30 seconds or so)  I got all my CC now pruned down (yeah like being back to 8,000 files is "normal" lol but it's better than 10 or 11k I suppose) I'm about to see what loading times are like.  Cleaned out everything I wasn't using or hadn't used that much.  Figure I won't download anything for a while and then go back and prune away some more.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 2006 March 04, 02:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I began a new neighborhood, (My kids stole the existing ones), and I don't have a thing on there, besides the already there trees and  forestry, but it is ridiculously slow and choppy...Not so with the lots though, so thats a good thing.   I still have all my CC and hacks in place, and loading time is no different, and gameplay is normal.  (Touch wood). Grin
Other than that, I'm so determined not to mess up this neighborhood, I'm starting from Uni and  working my way up so I haven't even got to the owning a business thing yet! Roll Eyes

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2006 March 04, 07:10:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sympathy - do you know why it keeps crashing?  And is it going to be expensive to fix?  I do hope not!

It has been looked at and re looked at all last week and I'll keep taking it in until it gets fixed  Tongue.  No idea what is causing it - I've got all my drivers up to date, its defragged, exceeds OFB requirements, has no viruses & has good ventilation...

It seems to have problems when it has to do more than one thing at once or if I run the sims.  Oddly it will play the video at the start with no problems and then crashes at the next bit or when it tries to load a neighbourhood.

I am however at this board more than usual and 'playing the sims' vicariously through other members at the moment Cheesy

Thanks for the kind thought.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: