More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 22:55:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Burning DVDs for Dummies?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Burning DVDs for Dummies?  (Read 8084 times)
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
Burning DVDs for Dummies?
« on: 2006 February 24, 15:32:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First let me explain that I am very fortunate at my job that I not only got a new computer for work but that I also have a wonderful boss who doesn't care what I do if I am finished with all my work for the day. So...I want to install Sims2 on the new computer so I can play while I'm at work but I don't want to have to take the NL cd back and forth from home to work with me everyday (also my daughter plays after school before I get home from work and she would be quite put out). How would I go about making a copy of the disc? Can I just burn it to a DVD or can I make a copy from the C/programs drive? I know this is probably a really basic/stupid question but other then burning cds and making backup copies from QuickBooks and Quicken, I really don't have any experience with this kind of thing. Embarrassed

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Burning DVDs for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 February 24, 15:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The short version is that you really can't, because NL is copy-protected and will not correctly load on your computer from a burned copy. The long version is that there are tricks one can play to get around this, and then you can run it off your hard drive without ever using the CD at all, with varying degrees of problematicism.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 February 24, 15:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  Undecided 

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 February 24, 15:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an alternative (although perhaps not the most attractive one), you could wait until you get OFB at home and then play NL at work?
cristalfiona
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 February 24, 15:45:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This thread http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=3106.msg90772;topicseen#msg90772 mentions some of the longer ways, if you fancy trying any of them.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 February 24, 15:59:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, once you have the EP installed, you would only need to bring NL home is you ever need to do a complete reinstall!

Incidentally, the game will run for a fair while with no disc in the drive, as long as you don't turn your PC off.

Zephyr Zodiac
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 February 24, 16:19:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an alternative (although perhaps not the most attractive one), you could wait until you get OFB at home and then play NL at work?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking I will have to do.
Thanks for the link cristalfiona; I read it but I'm still not sure how a person goes about using the image programs.
Yesterday I set up 2 new computers at work, set up a computer network, transferred all company related financial progams, spreadsheets, word documents, etc., for the last 3 years from the old computers and did it without a second thought.  Just when I think I might actually not be techinically challenged, I ask a question like this and become acutely aware of how little I actually understand.

angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 February 24, 16:20:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a fairly easy way to do this.  I do it myself at home, because the sound of the drive whirring up everything I boot or start the game irritates me.

It involves installing a program called Daemon Manager which allows you to create a virtual DVD drive on your PC.  In this virtual drive you load a copy of the DVD, to fool the system into thinking the DVD is there.  You can create a mini backup version of the DVD which contains only the copy protection part of the DVD.  That's the file you load into the Daemon Manager
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 February 24, 19:21:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh heh, I have nothing to contribute except... You get to play Sims at work? Shocked

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 February 24, 19:28:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a fairly easy way to do this.  I do it myself at home, because the sound of the drive whirring up everything I boot or start the game irritates me.

It involves installing a program called Daemon Manager which allows you to create a virtual DVD drive on your PC.  In this virtual drive you load a copy of the DVD, to fool the system into thinking the DVD is there.  You can create a mini backup version of the DVD which contains only the copy protection part of the DVD.  That's the file you load into the Daemon Manager

I do this too. I cd crack all my games (and yes, I buy them all). BUt I have a 2 year old. And he likes to open up my cd drive. I actually have had to put cardboard and tape over all my stuff on the front of my computer. Or he turns it off and on, opens and shuts the cd, puts things he shouldn't where he shouldn't. etc. And frankly, I don't think I should have to buy new copies of any game, simply because game companies are paranoid. I bought it once, that is enough. The cd's are used for installation and then put up, very high up, where he can't reach, even on a good day (or bad, depending on how you look at it).

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 February 24, 19:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stick the little tyke in a playpen! Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 February 24, 19:39:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do this too. I cd crack all my games (and yes, I buy them all). BUt I have a 2 year old. And he likes to open up my cd drive. I actually have had to put cardboard and tape over all my stuff on the front of my computer. Or he turns it off and on, opens and shuts the cd, puts things he shouldn't where he shouldn't. etc. And frankly, I don't think I should have to buy new copies of any game, simply because game companies are paranoid. I bought it once, that is enough. The cd's are used for installation and then put up, very high up, where he can't reach, even on a good day (or bad, depending on how you look at it).
I suggest electroshock therapy. If he gets zapped everytime he touches the computer, he'll stop really fast. If it works on dogs, it'll work on your kids. Remember, people are equipped with a sense of pain to tell them what behaviors they should be avoiding. Make use of this fact.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 February 24, 19:43:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2-year-olds should definitely be seen and not heard!  The Victorians knew about keeping kids in order!

Zephyr Zodiac
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 February 24, 20:13:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

keep them occupied up the chimneys, down mines...anything
i thank whoever/whatever that mine are grownup. i can't seem to offload them into houses of their own but at least they are past the stage of wrecking the house and it's contents....just

hmmm...theres a thought (OT) i was planning lugging my laptop to work to idle away those wee small hours when i start night shifts again. have to check out work PCs specs to see if i can install the sims on it in some secret location so long as i am not prevented by lack of administrator rights. and assuming women will keep their legs crossed and not give birth the nights i am there
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 February 24, 20:14:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cleaning up underneath spinning and weaving machines in cotton mills was a good idea too! Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 February 24, 20:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cleaning up underneath spinning and weaving machines in cotton mills was a good idea too! Grin

i had ancestors who did this in and around Manchester back then Cheesy didn't do them any harm...well they survived anyway
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 February 24, 20:24:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And they didn't have time to get up to much mischief either!

Zephyr Zodiac
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 February 24, 20:41:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

heh heh, I have nothing to contribute except... You get to play Sims at work? Shocked

Yes, shameful, isn't it? I tried to install it at work once before but the graphics card was shit on the system I had so it just wouldn't run well. About 2 weeks ago the boss asked me to order a new computer for my office; I had the specs for TS2 sitting right next to me while I configured the new system.  Grin
I'm an office manager for a small construction company with lots of time to fill, luckily, my boss understands that. (Okay, so he doesn't realize he paid for a much faster processor and better video card then we actually needed...but I haven't had a raise in 2 years, so it seems fair to me! Wink)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: