More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 20:08:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Downtown v. hood
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Downtown v. hood  (Read 13554 times)
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Downtown v. hood
« Reply #25 on: 2006 January 12, 18:05:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hm.

I had two unis once and deleted the one--but I didn't have any problems.

One thing I've noticed with SimPE, which Ii couldn't play the game without, is it sometimes says a character is unlinked when, in fact, it isn't. I don't know why it does this--but I've learned to just leave those alone. ?
« Last Edit: 2006 January 12, 19:23:58 by MutantBunny » Logged
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 January 12, 18:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if it says the character is unlinked, check to see whether the unlinked box has a number ending in 000 or 001 (if it's 001, then it's definitely unlinked!)  Trying to load a lot where one of your sims has become unlinked will cause your lot to crash - I know, I've had it happen! 

You only get the problems with the second uni if you play it, then play the first one again - in which case, a lot of those characters will go walkabout in it, and if your sims meet them then you get unlinked character files if you delete their hood.  It's made worse if you use the interactwogreet mod as you have less control over who your sims get to know!

Zephyr Zodiac
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 January 12, 19:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hm. I'll have to watch for that 000 v 001 thing.

I'm not sure I followed what you said about the play the first uni then the sencond etc. but I do know: I played the one I deleted, but I didn't play it much. I took the lots out of it I liked and got rid of it, placed the lots in the other uni. No problems.

I have hardly played at all since NL because the patch screwed up my game and I had to reinstall, get backups etc etc. So I have an unpatched game which I'm leery of. Maybe OFB will fix that. Of course--then we'll have the OFB problems.....
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 January 12, 19:34:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I meant was, if you played the first uni, then played the second and then returned and played the first one again, then some of the characters from the second will start to walkby your lots and dorms in the first, plus could appear at any community lots.  Once they've done that, your sims may interact with them and thus acquire the memory of that sim.  Delete the second campus, and those sims will still be in the first one, walking about, but since their "home" has gone, they will be unlinked.  But they may well have brought with them even more "baggage" in the form of sims from their campus that they knew.

Zephyr Zodiac
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 January 12, 20:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh. Isee now: I did that, but I didn't do it much, a few times back and forth comparing.

Do you have any opinion about the max number of visiting sims DT v. Hood?

Where's Pescado, he'll know....
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 January 12, 21:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but my Sims energy seems to last longer in Downtown Community lots as opposed to the Comm. lots in the 'hoods.

Are you going on dates? A successful date (not sure about timed outings) boosts all your stats, especially energy. You get a boost even if you don't reach dream date, but that one is worth the most. It's even worth ending a date once it hits dream status (even if you have 5 min. left on the clock) and just asking them out again or asking someone else (or using the time to look around) if you want to stay on a community lot longer.

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 January 12, 22:31:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's even worth ending a date once it hits dream status (even if you have 5 min. left on the clock) and just asking them out again or asking someone else (or using the time to look around) if you want to stay on a community lot longer.

I've done that for a Romance Sim before, I sent her out on something like 4 dates in a row to help her reach her LTW, and I never once had to refresh her energy to do it.  As soon as she reached dream date, I'd end it and then either send her out again with the same Sim or with a new one.

I really want to try to have a Sim bottom out and die from a horrible date though, so as soon as I get around to making some custom townies, I'm going to work on that next.  Grin
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 January 12, 22:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really want to try to have a Sim bottom out and die from a horrible date though, so as soon as I get around to making some custom townies, I'm going to work on that next.

You can die from a bad date? <rofl> that sounds like a great story - post pics, please?  Grin

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 January 12, 22:49:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently, their motives take quite a hit on a horrible date, so if they're quite low on hunger, they can actually starve to death.

If I do this, I'll make sure to take and post some pics.  Grin
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2006 January 12, 23:26:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow. I've heard of sims actually dying on dates, and the surviving partner still getting a 'dream date' rating, but never sims dying from bad dates. I have to try that now. (now = one of these days, not today, but later)

I have so many things listed as 'Have to try on unsuspecting Romance sims' ... One of these days, I'll get around to them all. Those poor romance sims, they'll never know what hit them. Wink (an 'evil grin' smilie would be perfect here)

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 January 13, 00:52:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dormies and downtownies are not, strictly speaking, associated with a specific downtown or university. However, spawning downtowns does not appear to spawn more downtownies or downtown NPCs, whereas creating a new Uni DEFINITELY spawns more dormies and Uni NPCs. These new dormies and NPCs, however, are not differentiated or associated with the new Uni and shortly begin appearing everywhere else.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Annababy
« Reply #36 on: 2006 January 13, 00:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,
I'm just a passing lurker, but I thought I'd throw this in, if it helps and someone can verify--it seems to me that when I send a sim to a community lot in downtown, there are more townies and downtownies milling about, maybe around 12 on a smaller lot (including npcs--servers, hostess, etc.).  On regular neighborhood community lots, I'll only get about a half as many sims.  I noticed this by accident--I made a small diner on a 2x2 lot that I like, so I put the same diner in both downtown and the neighborhood (I don't know about in a uni hood).  Now, I didn't do any extensive research or count or anything, but there were more sims showing up to hang around the downtown diner than in the main hood.  
I'm a bit limited on how many sims I can have on a lot at a time cause my computer is a p.o.s., so maybe someone can verify this, if anyone's interested.  

***retreating back to lurkerdom

p.s. thanks for the hacks, Pescado
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 January 13, 00:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,
I'm just a passing lurker, but I thought I'd throw this in, if it helps and someone can verify--it seems to me that when I send a sim to a community lot in downtown, there are more townies and downtownies milling about, maybe around 12 on a smaller lot (including npcs--servers, hostess, etc.).  On regular neighborhood community lots, I'll only get about a half as many sims.

Welcome out of lurkdom.

I haven't done any "testing" but I have observed the same things as well.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 January 13, 18:12:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,
I'm just a passing lurker, but I thought I'd throw this in, if it helps and someone can verify--it seems to me that when I send a sim to a community lot in downtown, there are more townies and downtownies milling about, maybe around 12 on a smaller lot (including npcs--servers, hostess, etc.).  On regular neighborhood community lots, I'll only get about a half as many sims.  I noticed this by accident--I made a small diner on a 2x2 lot that I like, so I put the same diner in both downtown and the neighborhood (I don't know about in a uni hood).  Now, I didn't do any extensive research or count or anything, but there were more sims showing up to hang around the downtown diner than in the main hood.  
I'm a bit limited on how many sims I can have on a lot at a time cause my computer is a p.o.s., so maybe someone can verify this, if anyone's interested.  

I think maybe you're right. But I don't understand WHY it would be different since the num of visiting sims is determined by your PC, why would the DT be governed by a separate config setting? But if this is so: what entry IS governing it... how and why? If the text that is controling this can be identified then it can be modified....?
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 January 15, 02:12:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if it says the character is unlinked, check to see whether the unlinked box has a number ending in 000 or 001 (if it's 001, then it's definitely unlinked!)  Trying to load a lot where one of your sims has become unlinked will cause your lot to crash - I know, I've had it happen! 

The question is, what to do with all of those unlinked characters once we have already fubared the neighborhood? Can they be deleted somehow with SimPE? I have a bunch of them in my strangeville neighborhood (long story, very boring) and I tried deleting them with SimPE, but I don't think I was successful.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 January 15, 02:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The question is, what to do with all of those unlinked characters once we have already fubared the neighborhood? Can they be deleted somehow with SimPE? I have a bunch of them in my strangeville neighborhood (long story, very boring) and I tried deleting them with SimPE, but I don't think I was successful.

Well, if they're members of your families, why not just relink them?  Simply change the number back to 0X000.  You may have to replace lost memories or relationships within the family, and make a note of the sim's GUID so when you check other sims' memories and find Met Unknown and that GUID, you can either replace that with the sim you are relinking, or if it's Goopy, you can just delete the memory altogether.  Then you need to go back to that sim's relationships panel and either delete the relationship altogether, or again replace it with the correct one - that should then appear in your previously unlinked sim's relationships too.  You would then need to check the memories for that sim to see if that relationship is there or not - if not, simply add met John Doe, Made Best Friends with John doe, whatever is necessary.  It takes time, but if the sim is important to your hood, it's worth doing.

On the other hand, unlinked extra copies of your sims are bad news and need to be deleted, after you have made absolutely certain that no memories of them remain.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: