More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 13:58:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Downtown v. hood
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Downtown v. hood  (Read 13553 times)
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Downtown v. hood
« on: 2006 January 11, 18:46:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am wondering just exactly what are the differences between a downtown area and the regular hood?
Vampires and gypsys do not visit a hood, but is that the only difference?
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
Re: Downtown v. hood
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 11, 18:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vampires and gypsies will visit base neighbourhood lots.
You'll only find Vampires on community lots and the Gypsy will show up on all lots.

The only difference is that Downtown lots are, well, downtown.

Instant gratification takes too long.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 11, 18:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downtownies will walk by your house if you live downtown as well.  But you'll never see them if you stay cooped up in the base neighborhood.

Of course, you can always visit downtown community lots and meet them...
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 11, 19:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I'm curious now, as I've never had a downtown home...

Do the 'normal' walkbys come walking past home lots in downtown as well?

And is there any perceptible difference in load times or game speed between the downtown homes and the neighbourhood homes?

simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 11, 19:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And is there any perceptible difference in load times or game speed between the downtown homes and the neighbourhood homes?

As far as load times, several of the lots are 2x2, so since they are smaller, they do tend to load faster than larger lots.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 11, 19:33:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sims from your base hood will walk by downtown lots but downtownies will not walk by your base hood lots. I'm also fairly certain that the Grand Vampires do not visit base neighbourhood homes. Those are the only differences I can think of.

MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 11, 19:58:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm. I don't recall many walk by visitors on my DT sim lots--some tho--I remeber one of my hood sims coming to visit on a DT sim lot. But the Hood sims always have lots of walkbys....

I always thought it was stupid for the hood to be the center with satellite dts and unis--it's the other way around in RL: a City is the center and it has satellite hoods and unis. I am thinking about dumping my DT and just moving everything to my main hood. Then I will 're-do' the hood into a main DT. Smiley Unless of course, there are significant differences that show up listed in this thread...
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 11, 20:36:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the random calls you get for outings and the like always want you to go downtown, but I suppose you can also pick regular community lots when you choose where to go (I never do because mine are the boring comm. lots stolen from Pleasantview - I hate making comm. lots) so it probably doesn't matter there.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 11, 20:41:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my downtown areas have kind of a country feel to them anyway because I can't be bothered to fill them up- I don't like placing empty houses with no sims in them. The regular sims from the base neighborhood will be walkbys downtown, but there is the added benefit of the hot downtownies walking by as well- I like them, anyway. You also have a lesser frequency of hood walkbys because they are living further away compared with downtown neighbors.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 11, 22:18:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've had walk-bys from downtownies in the main hood, but only after they've been moved into a house.  However, they all have several best friends amongst the dormies, haven't a clue how, but there it is!  I have, however, had dormies walk by in the main hood - not often, but it's happened.  (And they've kicked over trashcans!)

Zephyr Zodiac
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 11, 22:22:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've had walk-bys from downtownies in the main hood, but only after they've been moved into a house.  However, they all have several best friends amongst the dormies, haven't a clue how, but there it is!  I have, however, had dormies walk by in the main hood - not often, but it's happened.  (And they've kicked over trashcans!)

They're no longer downtownies after they've moved into a house, are they? Wink That all sounds normal.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 11, 22:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know of any real difference, but I like living downtown as if I visit community lots downtown, it eliminates a loading screen and I hate waiting for them (it loads "downtown" and then the place you're going, even if it's all done in one swell foop so it's less obvious than it used to be). Making good community lots in the main neighborhood would work just as well, but I do use the Maxis community lots and all the good ones are downtown. People that live in houses in the main hood will walkby the downtown houses.

Unsouper
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 11, 22:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know of any real difference, but I like living downtown as if I visit community lots downtown, it eliminates a loading screen and I hate waiting for them (it loads "downtown" and then the place you're going, even if it's all done in one swell foop so it's less obvious than it used to be). Making good community lots in the main neighborhood would work just as well, but I do use the Maxis community lots and all the good ones are downtown. People that live in houses in the main hood will walkby the downtown houses.

I hate the loading screen as well. I don't even bother with adding a downtown. If you have pleasure sims, the "Go Downtown" want changes to "Go To Community Lot" if you don't have a downtown and that's fine with me.

MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 11, 22:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So no difference other than the name? Why bother with a DT at all?

If one creates a DT off their Hood, that creates the NPCs (the vampires and the gypsy) for the DT. Then if one wants the maxis DT lots, which I used them for 'templates', bin them- they stay binned, move them into a hood--delete the DT. We have everything that NL has to offer right in our Hood.

Ok--why bother with a satellite Dt then? Why did maxis do that??
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 11, 22:56:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because it makes people feel like they're getting something, and people like having "new locations." Or something.

Also, I think there might be more people in the DT lots, especially after hours. But that could be a figment of my memory.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 11, 23:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If one creates a DT off their Hood, that creates the NPCs (the vampires and the gypsy) for the DT. Then if one wants the maxis DT lots, which I used them for 'templates', bin them- they stay binned, move them into a hood--delete the DT. We have everything that NL has to offer right in our Hood.

How would they place the new lots in people's existing neighborhoods? I suppose they could have just left all the lots in the lot bin and let people place them in their own hoods.

It is also a way to expand real estate once your hood gets full. You can add several downotwns to each hood. One hood I was playing, I made one "downtown" the farming community.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 11, 23:45:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes--but that goes right back to with the hood as the center and DTs are satellites, the whole thing seems backwards.

Oddysey, that thing about more visitors DT--that's a good point. I wonder if it's true. What would 'govern' max number of allowed sims for a DT as opposed to max number of allowed sims for the hood? How can that be different?
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 12, 01:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that downtonies are like a million times better looking than most of the regular townies and dormies.  That's extremely nice for those seeking a Legacy Challenge.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 12, 01:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need a downtown to get the gypsy!  She appears as soon as you move sims to a new lot, or within a day of loading an old one, unless you have TJ's fix!

The only thing really that you gain from downtown is the new community lots and houses, and the nicer looking Downtownies, + the Tricous, and it gives you more space for more houses, when you already (except in Strangetown) have room for so many houses that if you  filled up every blank space your neighbourhood would almost certainly become a BFBVFS!

Zephyr Zodiac
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 12, 02:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing really that you gain from downtown is the new community lots and houses, and the nicer looking Downtownies, + the Tricous, and it gives you more space for more houses, when you already (except in Strangetown) have room for so many houses that if you  filled up every blank space your neighbourhood would almost certainly become a BFBVFS!

I started filling in my 'hood with empty houses.  Now that we can see further than our backward, it's worth it.  I'm no where near satisfied with the look of my 'hood yet, but it will come.

I was wondering.  If downtownies do not walk around your 'hood, will your townies walk around downtown?    I created around 32 townies when I started my game.  Which makes me wonder if a hack exist yet to create downtownies.  If not, might there be a way to do it with SimPE.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 12, 02:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose what I meant was, not so much the number of houses, but the temptation to fill them all up! 

If you don't have the notownierespawn, then every time you move a downtownie into a house, they will be replaced, but you will, of course, have to put up with the main hood townies!

I wouldn't know about townies walking around downtown, as I usually delete them, or in a custom hood I create the hood and the uni, then deleteallcharacters.  But since dormies can appear in the main hood, I don't see why they wouldn't!

Zephyr Zodiac
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 12, 04:02:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but my Sims energy seems to last longer in Downtown Community lots as opposed to the Comm. lots in the 'hoods.

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 12, 06:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that's true of the parks, which the splurge says are revivifying!  So maybe they made them that way?

Zephyr Zodiac
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 12, 17:42:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the DT parks are 'revivifying' that must be a setting in the lot data, eh? So if the park is moved to a hood, then that effect would move too. ?

The downtownies are not going to 'go away' if the DT is deleted. They'd show up in the Hood, right?

A DT doesn't really give you 'more space to build' because all character files are held within the same folder as the hood's--your PC reaches it's max number it can deal with and your game will ba a BFBVFS regardless. right?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 12, 18:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes, you don't get a separate number of character limits for each bit, they're all jumbled up together in your characters folder.  But if you delete your downtown, I think that most of your Downtownies will be deleted too - but once you've played it and your sims have been there, then it's NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!  I tried this kind of thing once with a second campus attached to the same Pleasantview.  Only two of my sims had been there, and were back in the bin  awaiting transferral to the original campus, deleted campus no.2 and lo and behold, loads of unlinked sims (not just the dormies, but the maxis playables and some NPCs) wandering around the original campus!  Took quite a while to clean everything up!  So I should think you'd get similar problems with Downtown.  Plus, you'd get an additional problem with all your dormies, who have relationships with most of the Downtownies!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: