More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 06:48:43

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Default Replacement Skins
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Default Replacement Skins  (Read 75979 times)
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

Proud Army Wife. Support us or get the fuck out.

View Profile WWW
Default Replacement Skins
« on: 2005 December 06, 01:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone else use default replacement skins? I've been using Helaene's 705s but that line down the inner thigh really bugs me. I like the 805's but All of the sims look like they have oily skin. So I wanted to hear from the rest of y'all to see what defaults you use and umm where i can get them lol.

Linda.

Proud Army Wife of a soldier deployed to IRAQ. Support us or get the fuck out.
I am 25.

Quote from: lindaetterlee
The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Default Replacement Skins
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 06, 01:45:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does anyone else use default replacement skins? I've been using Helaene's 705s but that line down the inner thigh really bugs me. I like the 805's but All of the sims look like they have oily skin. So I wanted to hear from the rest of y'all to see what defaults you use and umm where i can get them lol.

Linda.
I currently use exem's defaualt replacement skintones but  they are a paysite.. how ever Jfreddog has some good default replacements at Mod the sims2  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=71168

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 06, 01:50:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For light, I use the 805 female body, w/ the belly ring removed, w/ the 705 male bodies and "air brushed" their faces b/c otherwise they all look like they've got skin problems. For tan, I use the 705 skin, but I'm not so happy w/ that, and I've been scouring for replacements. For med to dark, I use the Oepu skintones which can be found on MTS2, and while the med skintone required some major editing, the dark one is fantastic and flaw free - the best default I've found so far.

In my experience, there's always bound to be at least one issue w/ some part of a skin or another, and it's quite hard to find a skin that'll flatter all face types and all sims in a skin category. That's why I've basically gathered up the stuff I liked and put them all other. One part here, another part there. That way, you're guaranteed a result you'll like.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 06, 01:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I make my own default replacements. That way I can have exactly what I want. (I don't actually make my own skins, I download ones that I like and make defaults out of them) It seems like I never like the shade of skintone that other people choose to make defaults out of. For example I might want a lighter or darker S3, than what somebody else has made a default for. So if I like some of the defaults someone else made I'll use some of them, and incorporate some of my own. Making defaults is actually really easy. (Just tedious and time consuming) Here's a tutorial by ldms510 of modthesims2:

http://www.geocities.com/ldms510/Defaulting.html

It's very easy if you follow the instructions step by step. I don't know anything about simpe, but I was able to get this right on the first try so you probably won't have any problems. Right now I'm using simscribbling's skins, but I just change them out whenever I get bored.

Be your own fish.
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

Proud Army Wife. Support us or get the fuck out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 06, 01:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wishy-washy i could kiss ya. Thanks so much i have never seen that tutorial. You the BOMB

Proud Army Wife of a soldier deployed to IRAQ. Support us or get the fuck out.
I am 25.

Quote from: lindaetterlee
The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 06, 01:57:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're very welcome. I was very happy when ldms510 sent it to me. I don't think that he/she has posted it anywhere. I found it very helpful. He/she gave me permission to give other people the link.

Be your own fish.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 06, 01:59:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have two skins from Starrats over at thesimsZone.co.uk which work beautifully - one is pale blue, the other goth.  I also have a very pale, slight blemished skin from AlleMeinesims which I use a lot, and DeviKittySims has a good medium and dark skin in a more reddish tone than the Maxis default, and looks excellent in game.

Zephyr Zodiac
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 06, 02:00:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://www.geocities.com/ldms510/Defaulting.html

It's very easy if you follow the instructions step by step. I don't know anything about simpe, but I was able to get this right on the first try so you probably won't have any problems. Right now I'm using simscribbling's skins, but I just change them out whenever I get bored.

A much easier way to do it though, is just to d/l a default skintone, and replace the textures w/ your own. Much quicker than building a package from scratch. The only thing you have to be careful of is using "Build DXT" to import your textures rather than the "import" feature, b/c the first time I edited my skins, I totally screwed them up by using the "import" feature.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 06, 02:07:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A much easier way to do it though, is just to d/l a default skintone, and replace the textures w/ your own. Much quicker than building a package from scratch. The only thing you have to be careful of is using "Build DXT" to import your textures rather than the "import" feature, b/c the first time I edited my skins, I totally screwed them up by using the "import" feature.

I've heard of other people doing it this way, too. For some reason, though, I just like something about building it from scratch because then I know that everything is right. You know what I mean? I guess I'm just anal. Roll Eyes

Be your own fish.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 06, 02:14:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard of other people doing it this way, too. For some reason, though, I just like something about building it from scratch because then I know that everything is right. You know what I mean? I guess I'm just anal. Roll Eyes

I suppose. But considering that this just changes the textures the game pulls, and nothing else, doing it this way is no less stable than doing it from scratch. And on top of that it saves a LOT of time. I built the entire light default from scratch before I realized I could do it this way, and then I had to kick myself for wasting all that time when I coulda been over and done w/it, and playing the game instead.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 06, 02:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, as I am simpe challenged, would you mind posting how to use someome else's default to make your own? I have no idea how to go about accomplishing that. I would appreciate it a lot if it's way easier as you say.

Be your own fish.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 06, 02:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, as I am simpe challenged, would you mind posting how to use someome else's default to make your own? I have no idea how to go about accomplishing that. I would appreciate it a lot if it's way easier as you say.

First, just d/l the Nvidia DDS utilities. There should be a link to it on the SimPE site. Then, open up the default you want to edit. For each texture, right click it and click "Build DXT". Pick a file, click ok. Commit. Repeat w/ each texture until you've editied the ones you want. Save. And that's it.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 06, 03:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downloaded the dds utilities. Don't have the option to build dxt when I right click on a texture image file. I did however have build dds when I clicked on the picture. Did you mean the picture or the texture image file? Do I just replace it with another texture file (what kind of file bmp., png.)? So I have to extract all the texture files from the skin that I want and then import the images into the default file? I keep getting error messages so I think I'm doing something wrong. As I said I'm simpe challenged. I can't figure things out unless I have it step-by-step with very clear instructions: eg. Step One: Open a default file with simpe. Step Two: Click this exact button. Step Three: Click some other exact button. I guess that's why I liked ldms510's tutorial. It told me exactly how to do it. If I can't figure this out I guess I'll just stick with the "old fashioned way."  Undecided Thanks very much for trying to help me anyway. Smiley

Be your own fish.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 06, 03:15:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downloaded the dds utilities. Don't have the option to build dxt when I right click on a texture image file. I did however have build dds when I clicked on the picture. Did you mean the picture or the texture image file? Do I just replace it with another texture file (what kind of file bmp., png.)? So I have to extract all the texture files from the skin that I want and then import the images into the default file? I keep getting error messages so I think I'm doing something wrong. As I said I'm simpe challenged. I can't figure things out unless I have it step-by-step with very clear instructions: eg. Step One: Open a default file with simpe. Step Two: Click this exact button. Step Three: Click some other exact button. I guess that's why I liked ldms510's tutorial. It told me exactly how to do it. If I can't figure this out I guess I'll just stick with the "old fashioned way."  Undecided Thanks very much for trying to help me anyway. Smiley

Aah. Forgot to add this - make sure you tell SimPE that the utilities are on your comp. Otherwise it won't know. Go to extra > preferences. There should be a line for the location of the DDS utilities. Type in/Browse for the location. Click ok. Then "Build DXT" opens up.

And don't give up so easily. It's not good to underestimate yourself.  Wink
LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 06, 05:51:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm i hate to break in but can anyone tell me a GOOD skin they use with mathmans vulva?  The one i use causes a weird underwear like line to appear on them.

Also in case your wondering i'm using default skins from Duddly for all the sims except for the Zombie which i use IAmTheRad.  They look quite good in game and i'm pleased with them but as i said they don't work with mathmans vulva mesh.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 06, 18:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you guys haven't seen it, you might have a look at this thread...  A lot of people are posting there about replacing the maxis defaults.  mostly heads I think, but useful Smiley

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=1250.0

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

mean sims and empty lots don't mix...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 06, 19:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

reading that thead I realized that they are taliking about replacing the "bones" of the faces... the basic meshes being used, not the skins.  Sorry that thread is totally unrelated to this.
I tried a few of the newer default replacements from Simscribbing (at MTS2), Helaene (also MTS2) and Oepu (Opeu?) and ended up going back to Duddley's female defaults and a hairy male default at MTS2 that I was already using...

My Avie is a Vin Diesel sim.  Get him at My Yahoo Group
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 06, 19:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have skins in the basic maxis colors are MTS2, one set for nondefault and one set for default, although you need both sets for the defaults to work. They were made to be used with duddley and Mathman add on meshes. Some people like them a lot and others not so much. To each his/her own. My username is the same everywhere, so if you search for my name you will find the few things I made over there.

I have updated them in my own game to use crammys meshes, but I borrowed some faces from elsewhere that I incorporated as well so I cant share them. It really is easy to make default replacements with the newer Simpe versions. Use bodyshop to get your skins just right and then open up simpe and use the skintone plugin to make them defaults. Its important to note that when editing other peoples skins that you will need to pay sharp attention to the face and the body, because if you change the body tone a bit, the face tone will need to be changed as well to match.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 06, 20:35:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Allan Akbars default replacements except for aliens, I use one of my own default skintone replacement files (I switch colors depending on my mood lol) 

LFox
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 06, 20:41:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have skins in the basic maxis colors are MTS2, one set for nondefault and one set for default, although you need both sets for the defaults to work. They were made to be used with duddley and Mathman add on meshes. Some people like them a lot and others not so much. To each his/her own. My username is the same everywhere, so if you search for my name you will find the few things I made over there.

I have updated them in my own game to use crammys meshes, but I borrowed some faces from elsewhere that I incorporated as well so I cant share them. It really is easy to make default replacements with the newer Simpe versions. Use bodyshop to get your skins just right and then open up simpe and use the skintone plugin to make them defaults. Its important to note that when editing other peoples skins that you will need to pay sharp attention to the face and the body, because if you change the body tone a bit, the face tone will need to be changed as well to match.

Thanks i'll check it out.
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 28, 19:01:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

idtaminger,   Grin Thank you so much! I actually did it! It takes a little twiddling around, but I just opened it up in body shop and Gasp! There it was, one of Enayla's amazing skins as the default light female skintone.

What I did was take another default replacement and used it as a template. Not sure how kosher that is, but I didn't want to screw up the whole game if it didn't work.

It isn't really hard at all! This is amazing. All the other tutorials were just so confusing.  Roll Eyes

One helpful step to add is to export the skin you want to make default thru body-shop. It just makes it a lot easier to find, under projects. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2006 January 28, 20:11:30 by jmtmom » Logged
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 28, 20:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

jmtmom, you can do your own alien default skin the same way  Grin

if you want a alien default skintone replacement package file to work off of then you can get one of mine at
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=137
I have other colors there also  Wink
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 28, 23:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the default replacements I use are from SimCribbing (modified to be default by someone on MTS2).

While I'm at it; can anyone tell me if it's my alen replacement skin that keeps my alien babies from having the solid black alien eyes?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 29, 05:29:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill, when you uhmmm...get a chance to play again, you could try using a different replacement skin to see if it is the skin...well by then I will probably have an answer if someone else dosen't already know.

I've been wondering this myself because with mine, I know I get the alien eyes Except when my sims are teens  Huh 

they will have alien eyes as babys/toddlers/children/     /young adults/adults/elders, but as teens they end up with brown maxis eyes (even though I have replacements in)

right now I have replacemnets in for the alien eyes and a alien baby that needs to grow up before I can check....hmmm maybe I will check in strangetown, those brothers make great alien skin testers  Grin
Metalkatt
Feckless Fool

INTP. Quiet, but deadly.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 29, 05:44:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the Paradise Sims defaults.  They're realistic without looking like they could solve our oil crisis with their foreheads.

"The voices are talking to me again..."
"You're in class, stupid."

Yes, you're in my noun, verbing my noun.  Now, go away, and let me be!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: