More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 23:57:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Less Awesome Than Everyone
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Less Awesome Than Everyone  (Read 17019 times)
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Less Awesome Than Everyone
« Reply #25 on: 2005 December 05, 07:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm...I'm not so sure as to the accuracy of this, as I once moved all my CC out of downloads in order to test a bug, and when I loaded up a lot with terrain paints, all I had were merely flashing blue where the terrain had been. No crashing... at least so far....so I dunno...
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 December 05, 07:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm...I'm not so sure as to the accuracy of this, as I once moved all my CC out of downloads in order to test a bug, and when I loaded up a lot with terrain paints, all I had were merely flashing blue where the terrain had been. No crashing... at least so far....so I dunno...

Like I said, I never had a problem with actually loading a lot (only packaging it), so try to package the lot you remember seeing the flashing blue and see if it crashes.  I've heard of other people who seemed to have a problem with it though.

Which is ok for one's own creations - I mean, you'd probably remember if you'd used them, but how would you know with a downloaded house?  I mean, the housebuilder could have been playing around for ages with them, then decided they didn't like them!

This is why if I simply *have* to have a lot that has terrains, I deselect the terrain paints in Clean Installer before installing the lot.  I just paint over the flashing blue later, and this seems to be OK for me.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 December 05, 07:20:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to think the problem is when you try to install a lot without using the Clean Installer, when every darn terrain paint in your folder comes along for the ride!

Zephyr Zodiac
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 December 05, 08:51:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never had an issue with the terrain paints.  Then again I download only ones I know I will use so I don't have to worry about deleting them from the game. 
lechapeau
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 December 05, 09:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have lots of useless Terrain Paints.
If you click on the Terrain Paint catalogue *at all* during building then the first paint from your catalogue plus each one you click to check, even if it's not actually used, plus the one you eventually use will package with your lot.
It's a bit hit and miss, but sometimes I can go into a lot and change things in build mode then find it crashes while attempting to play.
Sometimes it just crashes anyway as soon as it's clicked on...
I've not had a paint affect other lots though or anything else in my game unless I deleted a paint (before knowing this) and other lots that had used the paint would then crash, so it seems very strange that other parts of your game messed up Undecided
I don't download lots now that I can either see from the picture have used paints, or when installing if I see them listed in CI then the lot gets deleted.
The general advice is don't ever try to delete the paint, painting over it with something else will keep it usable for the future.
Some say they can still package them, but I've had trouble doing that (it crashes the game) and I've also had trouble moving the lot either in the same neighborhood or to another one, as it crashes on entry.

My TS2 custom neighborhoods:
Updated Beacon Falls + OfB & BV subhoods: http://beacon-falls.blogspot.com/
Brand new version of Maple Valley + a subhood & add-ons: http://maplevalley2.blogspot.com/
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2005 December 05, 11:08:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just wonder if PC specs determine whether the game crashes or struggles through to give you blue flashing stuff..

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 December 05, 11:15:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So it comes down to this:
Terrain Paints are BAD and will cause your game to explode in a

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 December 05, 11:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to clarify things--I used, but did not delete or disable, the terrain paint.  That's when the game wouldn't load the houses  (not only the houses I'd used the terrain paint on, but any other house that I'd previously played).

I didn't disable the terrain paint until later, in a futile attempt to get the game working again.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 December 05, 14:22:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then it might not be the terrain paint in your case.  If you truly are anxious to find out, you can always backup your game and then gradually reinstall the content you suspected corrupted your houses in an effort to pinpoint the culprit.

No one ever said that TS2 isn't buggy, otherwise Pescado would be out of business Smiley

I have a technique I use to make sure I don't end up with a lot of crapola in my download folder because of houses.

For each house, I install I create one folder into which I extract the content of the package. Then I use clean installer to "strip" the house of all of its content and create a new package that contains nothing but the lot.  I then install that new package.  If I decide I don't like the content, then I just delete the folder.  If I don't like the house either, then I bulldoze it.  All trace of the house is now gone.
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 December 05, 15:07:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a great idea about the houses--you seem right on my risk-averse wavelength, angelyne. Smiley

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that a d/l that works in one game won't work in another (assuming that the necessary x-packs and CEP, etc., are installed in each case, and that there are no hacks installed)?  Or could there be a combo of d/l's that corrupt a neighborhood? Wondering because I did do the test of taking out downloads and slowly reinserting them, but couldn't find the problem.  Also because no one else seems to have complained about any of these particular downloads.

I don't think it's my specs because everything was working great until that point.

PKTrekGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 December 05, 15:25:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the first I'm reading about the terrain paint issue, and I'm really glad I saw this as I had no idea of the problems.

My plan now is to use no further terrain paints - EVER- when I build a house.

As for the houses I already have in my game that have terrain paints on them:  there is one I built myself, and there are a few others that I downloaded that I know have terrain paints.

Is it safe to continue playing these houses?  I'll make a note not to package them and offer them for download (only the one is mine to offer in any event)...but I can play them without a problem, correct?

I want to make sure I understand correctly:  I can play them or bulldoze them.  I just can't package them.

And I assume that in future, I should not download any house that I suspect might have a terrain paint on the lot, right?

Thanks alot!
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 December 05, 15:50:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PKTrek - yes, play the lot.  Don't package it.  Smiley
PKTrekGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 December 05, 18:23:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^  Thanks! Smiley

Just as an aside, I have a couple of houses that I downloaded (actually, traded in a BBS hood on another board) that just will not install on my computer.  I install the family using the Maxis installer, but even then, the house will install but the family just doesn't.  These are 'clean' houses - families that have not been played and all Maxis content except for maybe some walls & floors and some clothing.

Could it be that these houses have terrain paint, and that is what caused the errors to occur when I try to install?  They don't crash my game so it doesn't sound like a related problem, but I'm baffled as to why this is happening and am investigating all possibilities.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 December 05, 18:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if you ever decide to do a complete reinstall and ditch your present hoods, just don't include the custom terrain paints in your new Downloads folder.

Zephyr Zodiac
lechapeau
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 December 05, 18:30:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't download them with paint on anymore at all, and it has put me off using them because of the trouble I had before I knew about it all.
I still can't work out why the OP has had this problem with the other lots...one terrain paint *shouldn't* cause bother on lots it wasn't used on.
But yes I agree they are *Bad*! Wink
PKTrekGirl you ought to be able to use what you have if it's already in your game, but now you're aware of it so if anything goes wrong you'd know what it might be.
Also I forgot earlier, if you do build to upload, then if you have paints in your download folder then they are packaged even if you *don't* click on them, the first in the catalogue goes with the lot.
Building in a clean folder or taking them out (if you have them organised) will work.
Edit:
Putting families in can cause problems, though I thought that was through the Clean Installer which sometimes requires a few tries at it to get it to work...I'm not sure about the Maxis installer as I've not tried.
I've never had problems installing lots with paint...just playing them if the paint went missing along the way.
It sounds more a problem with the family than the paint.

Brand new version of Maple Valley + a subhood & add-ons: http://maplevalley2.blogspot.com/
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 December 05, 18:31:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just as an aside, I have a couple of houses that I downloaded (actually, traded in a BBS hood on another board) that just will not install on my computer.  I install the family using the Maxis installer, but even then, the house will install but the family just doesn't.  These are 'clean' houses - families that have not been played and all Maxis content except for maybe some walls & floors and some clothing.

Not sure....if you still have them, try installing them using the MTS2 Clean Installer, and see if the family is listed.  I've never used the Maxis Content Manager, so I don't know how it's listed on that.  But the family should be listed separately on the CI, and if it's still selected, it should show up.  I've never experienced a terrain issue causing that.
PKTrekGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 December 05, 18:43:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PKTrekGirl you ought to be able to use what you have if it's already in your game, but now you're aware of it so if anything goes wrong you'd know what it might be.

Yep.

Also I forgot earlier, if you do build to upload, then if you have paints in your download folder then they are packaged even if you *don't* click on them, the first in the catalogue goes with the lot.
Building in a clean folder or taking them out (if you have them organised) will work.

Yeah, I have a vanilla install of my game that I build houses in if I want to offer them for download.  The only downloads I have in the vanilla game are some walls & floors.

I'm gonna keep doing it that way - especially now!

Edit:
Putting families in can cause problems, though I thought that was through the Clean Installer which sometimes requires a few tries at it to get it to work...I'm not sure about the Maxis installer as I've not tried.
I've never had problems installing lots with paint...just playing them if the paint went missing along the way.
It sounds more a problem with the family than the paint.

Yeah, I usually use the Clean Package Installer to install everything, so I can see what I'm getting.  I used that first for these houses.  I got the houses but not the families, so someone told me to use the Maxis installer because the families come over using that.  So I used the Maxis installer.  Still no luck.

It sounds like this is an unrelated problem though...so I'll just keep trying, I guess.  Or not install those houses.
lechapeau
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 December 05, 19:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I usually use the Clean Package Installer to install everything, so I can see what I'm getting.  I used that first for these houses.  I got the houses but not the families, so someone told me to use the Maxis installer because the families come over using that.  So I used the Maxis installer.  Still no luck.

It sounds like this is an unrelated problem though...so I'll just keep trying, I guess.  Or not install those houses.

Someone sent me a house with people in it..It wasn't for my own game as I don't put people in..
I put it in a clean account to look at the house and it took about four tries to get the people to appear, so it ought to work eventually if you keep trying.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 December 05, 19:58:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you install any such house, though, check it out for clones of the friends and acquainstances the inmates might have had before they were packaged!  Otherwise you could end up with a hundred unlinked character files!

Zephyr Zodiac
PKTrekGirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 December 05, 20:09:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^Yep.  I am not installing ANY house where there are sims that have been played.  I am very insistant that any sims I install cannot even have met the paperboy!  For exactly that reason.

I also insist that they do not have any memories except the standard "starter" memories of marrying thier spouse before gameplay started, etc
taichikitten
Asinine Airhead

Life in Digital

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 December 05, 22:13:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The game just hangs in trying to open the lot, until I have to force a reboot.  I did disable the terrain paint (along with all of the other objects I'd downloaded, just to be safe) but no love.

Is there anything I can do short of a reinstall at this point?

I had this problem back when Uni came out, where the lot I was trying to load would just hang.  The music would play and the little hourglass would go around and around, but nothing would ever happen.  After I'd done the Dance of a Thousand Installs to try and figure out where the problem was, but my lots would still not load, I looked for advice on the forums, and this is what I was told:

Once you're at the neighborhood screen and before you try to load a house, go into debug mode (boolprop testingcheatsenabled true... as I'm sure you know).  Then try to load the house.  When the game reaches the problem, instead of going into an infinite loop, it will pop up a dialog box telling you what the problem is and giving you some options on what to do about it.  Take note of what it says the problem is (in my case it was a custom career I didn't even know I had, even in spite of having been through my downloads folder with a fine-toothed comb!) and hit reset.  Hopefully then your lot will load properly.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.  Can't guarantee that it will work for you, but I suppose it can't hurt to give it a whirl.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 December 05, 23:30:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had exactly the same roblem when I first installed Uni, and I believe it was either a custom career or downloaded (unintentionally) hacks that caused it.  After I sorted through my Downloads folder with SimPE and found all the offenders, the game worked fine.

Zephyr Zodiac
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 December 06, 17:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, taichikitten, that's exactly what I should have done and didn't remember until too late.

*sings*

"Regrets, I've had a few..."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: