More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:57:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch  (Read 47257 times)
chann
Corpulent Cretin

TS3: an "eye-opening tour de farce" (sic)

View Profile WWW
Re: EA Data Logging - Ambitions & Patch
« Reply #25 on: 2010 June 02, 07:03:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Data Logging/Telemetry is responsible for producing the Sims3Logs.xml and DeviceConfig.log files in the user folder, right? Does it do any more than that?
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010 June 02, 07:34:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see the fuss. I've just applied the patch to my base game (no EPs yet), and Data Logging is disabled by default. You have to actually enable it yourself and the tooltip clearly states it sends anonymous data to EA.

And you actually believe them?

I also note the following with interest in the patch information.
   *Players who play The Sims 3 with game modifications can now create a folder in which to place their game modifications. The folder should be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourComputer\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods

*When Mods are placed in the official Mod folder, a notification will appear to remind players that Mods are installed.
    *Placing Mod packages into the Mod folder is an officially sanctioned way to bypass assembly signing verification. The Resource.cfg file must be placed in this folder in order for the modifications to work correctly.
    *When Mods are installed that are incompatible, the player will receive a message notifying them of the error.
    *Additional bug fixes to existing features

I wonder if they'll try to make AM incompatible?

I don't think they will necessarily target AM deliberately making it incompatible, but sounds like they have done what should have been done in the first place, made it easier to install mods, not that the current method is all that complicated.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 02, 08:28:04 by wizard_merlin » Logged

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Brand
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010 June 02, 08:07:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the tooltip clearly states it sends anonymous data to EA.
Yeah, and I have a lovely bridge for sale in a pristine Florida location...
saraswati
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010 June 02, 08:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, it is basically Securom only semi-visible?

Securom is only included in Sims 3 if you buy/download the Digital version.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010 June 02, 09:29:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess the main question is, could they take any info on downloads, and attack people legally over pirated store content? Like a witch hunt?

That's my main fear anyways.

Would it be possible to disable it with AM? In the mean time, I am not letting the game touch the Internet.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010 June 02, 10:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After running the game a few more times this morning, I have noticed that despite having the main executable blocked in Windoze Firewall (I don't use the launcher), something tries to connect to the internet a few seconds before the animated EA/TS3 logo pops up. I have Data Logging disabled as I've said before, but I'm wondering if the game's trying to access a non-existent ad server?

EDIT: Hmm... Just noticed that enabletelemetry is set to '1' in options.ini despite the in-game setting clearly showing that Data Logging is disabled. Is there any software I can use (free, preferably) to monitor what this bloody game's sending out over the internet?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 02, 10:22:08 by uknortherner » Logged

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010 June 02, 10:34:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The funny thing is that, contrary to everyone else, I Am getting that it's deactivated both in game and in my files. Not saying it's off though.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Starstryder
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010 June 02, 10:37:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personal preference is PCTools Firewall, nothing gets past unless you tell it to  Smiley  I am sure though there must be quite a few other free ones that others would recommend as well, but so far this one blocks EA effectively.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010 June 02, 11:09:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The funny thing is that, contrary to everyone else, I Am getting that it's deactivated both in game and in my files. Not saying it's off though.

I've just had a scan through DeviceConfig.log. It seems that EA's implementation of Boolean code is pretty much nonstandard: '0'=true and '1'=false. So, in theory, this means that in my options.ini, enabletelemetry is set to 'false'.

I'm talking arse. These were the "default" settings. My settings are all set to '0' which is 'false'. In options.ini, enabletelemetry stays stuck on '1' no matter what I do in the in-game options.

Still would like to know what my game's trying to make contact with, though.

Personal preference is PCTools Firewall, nothing gets past unless you tell it to  Smiley  I am sure though there must be quite a few other free ones that others would recommend as well, but so far this one blocks EA effectively.

Cheers, I'll check it out.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 02, 11:18:09 by uknortherner » Logged

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 June 02, 12:00:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess the main question is, could they take any info on downloads, and attack people legally over pirated store content? Like a witch hunt?

Would it be possible to disable it with AM? In the mean time, I am not letting the game touch the Internet.

I wonder what the legal position would be.  If they are retrieving personal information to identify you, AFTER stating they do not, they may be in more trouble than the person they went after, for installing spyware such as that without permission, invasion of privacy, and no doubt a host of other issues.  Now if they add something in their EULA which says they are collecting such information with a view to taking action, that might be a different matter, but I suspect if such stuff was there, someone would have found it by now.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 2010 June 02, 13:37:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every one of you probably posts more information on public forums than EA could ever get from its Sims 3 Data logging. You should ask yourself, what is Pescado doing with all this information. Maybe building an AI simulacrum army which with Google's help will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010 June 02, 13:40:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, SecuROM is modular and at base its just a normal "disk check" but it can have online activation and also restriction on the number of activations (meaning the number of times it can be installed).

This is very much different, its what FUCKING STEAM does (logs statistics) so if you use FUCKING STEAM and allowed Valve to know everything you done.

Its funny in a way, Valve did this crap and put it under the radar and you cannot turn it off and they get away, EA does it and its Help! Police! Murder!
BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010 June 02, 13:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every one of you probably posts more information on public forums than EA could ever get from its Sims 3 Data logging. You should ask yourself, what is Pescado doing with all this information. Maybe building an AI simulacrum army which with Google's help will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Ahahaha, good thing I don't use AM, then.

Nah, I don't have anything against AM. I just don't use it myself.

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010 June 02, 13:43:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder what the legal position would be.  If they are retrieving personal information to identify you, AFTER stating they do not, they may be in more trouble than the person they went after, for installing spyware such as that without permission, invasion of privacy, and no doubt a host of other issues.  Now if they add something in their EULA which says they are collecting such information with a view to taking action, that might be a different matter, but I suspect if such stuff was there, someone would have found it by now.
Yeah, that's exactly what Microsoft did with the XBox 360.  The EULA stated that modding the XBox voided the warranty, Microsoft had the ability to scan machines that connected to LIVE to check if they were modded, and Microsoft had the ability to shut those machines down.  This, of course, didn't stop the butthurt that came when Microsoft acted on it; it just made it funnier.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Drakron
Anime Fapper
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010 June 02, 13:52:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not exactly.

Microsoft banned modded Xbox 360 from Live and only the machines themselves as the accounts still work, just the console is banned from Live.

They cannot shut down the console (doing so would create a dangerous precedent) but they can ban then from using services (TOS) and as for the warranty, that is pretty standard as if you modify the machine then the manufacturer cannot be held responsible for it.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2010 June 02, 14:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Comodo Firewall but I reinstalled it and can't figure out how to get it back to how I had it- so it asks whenever something tries to happen. SO I can't tell if I'm blocking anything or not, despite blocking the game in windows firewall.
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010 June 02, 14:18:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got the PCTools Firewall that Starstryder suggested, and it works like a charm and is very easy to use, stupid person-proof you could say lol.

Now, when I open the launcher, generally it says that "Internet Explorer cannot open this webpage" and all that jazz, but now I just get a blank blue background with nothing on it, is that supposed to happen?

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010 June 02, 14:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to PC Tools Firewall (cheers Starstryder), ts3.exe is trying to access 1.174.143.100, so I knew it was up to something. Now to find out what 1.174.143.100 is.

EDIT: This can't be right, right?

http://rank10.org/pr/?url=www.sonymusic.com

It links back to a Sony server. SecuROM?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 02, 14:46:44 by uknortherner » Logged

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
BriarRosethorn
Asinine Airhead

Don't you type at me in that tone of voice!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010 June 02, 14:45:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Comodo Firewall but I reinstalled it and can't figure out how to get it back to how I had it- so it asks whenever something tries to happen. SO I can't tell if I'm blocking anything or not, despite blocking the game in windows firewall.

Would simply blocking the game with Windows Firewall be effective? I'd rather not install any more programs on my computer if I can help it. I just uninstalled a bunch of programs I don't use anymore, completely cleaned out my entire computer and moved all of my media to my external to keep my C drive nice and empty for university in September.

KING LOUIS: I'm the King of France!
THE DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time.
The Doctor. More awesome than the King of France.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2010 June 02, 15:01:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont know, that's what I wanted to see.

I restarted and Comodo is working now but I havent opened the game to see if it tries to do anything. I have to try and get my mods out so I can see if it's a mod conflict ruining romantic socials for me.
Buzzler
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010 June 02, 15:19:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems like the typical MATY user isn't a bit more informed than the users of the sheeple forums. The typical MATY user is more adept in spreading FUD, though.

EA and basically every publisher out there are spying on you for years now without asking for permission. Virtually every game executable will collect data and send it home. If you let it. If you let the TS3 executable or the launcher connect to the internet, the EA folks almost definitely already know if you use an arred game by the serial. They probably know if you use arred store content, too.

Logging your gameplay and asking for permission to do so is absolutely harmless. All they want to know, is what features are used the most/least for future development.
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010 June 02, 16:13:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main issue is what EA is calling back home for.

Steam, on the other hand, while it does 'call home', they tell you what they actually collect.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010 June 02, 16:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not exactly.

Microsoft banned modded Xbox 360 from Live and only the machines themselves as the accounts still work, just the console is banned from Live.

They cannot shut down the console (doing so would create a dangerous precedent) but they can ban then from using services (TOS) and as for the warranty, that is pretty standard as if you modify the machine then the manufacturer cannot be held responsible for it.

Ah.  I didn't mod mine, but I had several friends who did, and they just said they couldn't play it any more.  I didn't realize they were talking exclusively about online play.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 June 02, 20:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EA and basically every publisher out there are spying on you for years now without asking for permission. Virtually every game executable will collect data and send it home. If you let it. If you let the TS3 executable or the launcher connect to the internet, the EA folks almost definitely already know if you use an arred game by the serial. They probably know if you use arred store content, too.

Most MATYians know to block TS3 (legit or not) from accessing the internet, which has always been Pescado's official advice. The issue is not so much the fact that they're doing something nefarious-- this is the same company that shipped out their games with Securom, anybody who trusts them is an idiot. I think the issue is more why they are doing it, and what, exactly, it is they're collecting.

I sing along with elevator music.
saraswati
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010 June 02, 20:44:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, SecuROM is modular and at base its just a normal "disk check" but it can have online activation and also restriction on the number of activations (meaning the number of times it can be installed).

Drakron, it doesn't have any of the SecuROM files with the disk version, I've checked the registry numerous times. They're also required to disclose SecuROM up front these days, it's part of the legal settlement they made with the class action.

I'd love a bit more information on what they intend to collect. Does anyone have a link to where this was discussed before the EP was launched?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: