More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 20:38:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Crash to desktop
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Crash to desktop  (Read 42544 times)
TyCobb
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Re: Crash to desktop
« Reply #25 on: 2009 December 01, 18:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same problem as described in the OP, but with WA 2.2.8 installed.

Here's how I fixed it:
First I moved the userPresets.package from "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\" to a safe place (desktop).
The game then started correctly even with AM installed.
I quit the game right away and put the userPresets.package back.
I started the game again and now it worked with AM installed and all my saved patterns still there.

Also, before each restart of the game I deleted all the *cache.package files.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009 December 02, 02:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, CTD is when the program completely crashes and dies. I have never heard of it randomly MINIMIZING to the desktop, unless you're accidentally pushing ALT-TAB or have dodgy third-party programs that take over your screen.

Minimizing to the desktop is exactly what my old craptastic laptop used to do, except it would do it out of the blue and not just when I was in CAS. I also did not have AVG on that machine. I suspect it had to do with video card overload, but that's just speculation on my part.
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009 December 02, 03:31:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just put AM in my game and it is consistently crashing to desktop. It will run for about 5 minutes before shutting down. I deleted the cache files and it crashed for the 6th time.  Prior to reinstall of the mod, the game was running just fine.  I do have exception logs, but I doubt they are of any value.

I just removed AM and am playing a hack free game and the crashing has ceased. I was so excited to get AM back in my game.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
thenightgaunt
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009 December 03, 07:25:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One clue though. It did it at night (ingame) and it might have been around th 1am point. This would have been the first night time period in the game since activating AM. Might have something to do with the 1am lag issue. Anyone else notice crashing around that time ingame?

Are you serious?

Try searching 1am crash.  There are dozens, maybe even a hundred+ of posts now, about that very thing.  It is something with the EAxian story mod and a possible conflict with AM tweaks, or other conflict.  Switch to AM story mode, and the problem goes away.

I'm all for blaming EA for bugs since it's usually their fault, but not this time. I've been playing with the WA expansion since it came out. There were and have been a ton of bugs so far, but no cases of CTD on my PC. And it's not a lack of resources. I have a ton of RAM, a great processor, a top of the line video card, and a liquid coolant system.
I installed AM and the game CTD'd the first time my sims went to bed after I loaded that game.

Grimma
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009 December 03, 08:25:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One clue though. It did it at night (ingame) and it might have been around th 1am point. This would have been the first night time period in the game since activating AM. Might have something to do with the 1am lag issue. Anyone else notice crashing around that time ingame?

Are you serious?

Try searching 1am crash.  There are dozens, maybe even a hundred+ of posts now, about that very thing.  It is something with the EAxian story mod and a possible conflict with AM tweaks, or other conflict.  Switch to AM story mode, and the problem goes away.

I'm all for blaming EA for bugs since it's usually their fault, but not this time. I've been playing with the WA expansion since it came out. There were and have been a ton of bugs so far, but no cases of CTD on my PC. And it's not a lack of resources. I have a ton of RAM, a great processor, a top of the line video card, and a liquid coolant system.
I installed AM and the game CTD'd the first time my sims went to bed after I loaded that game.

Did this occur round-about 1am (sims time)? Because if it did, I'm gonna be over here, laughing my ass off. (Edited to add quote)

WARNING:PMs may be published if it contains butthurt or sporking which belong on the boards. And if I feel like it
dilitru
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009 December 03, 10:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First I moved the userPresets.package from "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\" to a safe place (desktop).

Where exactly is this file? I can't seem to find it, even with search.

I am also having the CTD that occurs when the loading bar fills up to full. However, before that I played 1 session without any bugs. After that, it just CTDs over and over. Reinstall, re-patch, re-framework does not work.

EDIT: I am suspecting 1.7 patch is causing this. When I first patched, my internet got cut then download failed, but the cursed manager reported 'updated.' I connected again then did a proper patch, with the confirmation from the TS3 program that it has been patched. That may be it. I will try to re-install and re-patch one last time.

EDIT2: Forget the patch error, Pescado made another of his Stealth Hi-Bye update and AwesomeMod now works again. I will do more testing for bugs then.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 03, 11:06:32 by dilitru » Logged
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009 December 03, 17:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am still getting the CTD. Just for kicks, I installed TS3 and WA on my gaming laptop. Installed the AM (today's updated version) and played the game. Mind you, this is a clean install that has never seen any sort of mod. The game played for approximately 15 minutes before it CTD.  All the resource.cfg files and d3d etc files are correctly installed etc.  So this problem, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with my system(s).  Anyone have any other ideas? I really miss playing with AM.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
SonnetCeles
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009 December 04, 07:21:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edit

Went back to the old machine and discovered it was a driver issue.  Downgraded to a 186.x nvidia driver version and completely stable since.  A.K.A time to overclock the sucker.

Installed Sims 3 onto a higher end Vista machine.  That one now crashes randomly so I have to fix that one.  Oh goody.

Again for those of you who are experiencing issues, try uninstalling, reinstalling, using different drivers as well as using an old or new video card driver.

Because I have seen for a fact that awesome mod works absolutely fine on 2 machines now.  One originally with driver issues.

If doing everything still doesn't work though blame EA.  Their games are buggy as hell and it always takes me a better part of a day or two just to get the damn thing not to crash to desktop.

Original post:
=============

Have installs on both a laptop and a desktop.  Laptop is a clean install and does not crash at all.  Other, a desktop, does crash randomly.

I strongly believe the crashes have to do with the old files from before as well as a potential hardware issue/incompatibility.

If, however the laptop starts crashing, I'll probably look into the debug messages.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 04, 19:04:30 by SonnetCeles » Logged
legallpn
Asinine Airhead

Cleverness is not wisdom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2009 December 04, 22:15:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My games CTD when I attempt making a basement.  This is  something new for me cause everything ran great until I updated to the most recent AM.   I only have AM installed.  Huh

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as unsolvable problems."
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009 December 04, 23:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've done the driver Rumba. Both machines are wildly different. One being a gaming laptop and the other a PC I had built to play games. One has a NVidia card, the other an ATI. Tried old and new drivers. Same story: CTD. I guess I'm stuck with Twallan now. Played with that mod for 5 hours last night without a lick of trouble on the PC and today for 3 hours on the laptop with smooth gameplay. I have definitely narrowed it down to one thing that is causing the crash: AM.   Being a help mod, believe me, I have tried everything to get this sucker working. Every conceivable configuration I could think of.  I am not ready to resort to chanting etc. I'll just play with the NRaas and keep sporadically trying AM as it is updated.

hellewellth
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009 December 04, 23:59:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you disabled story progression under options Game options in game, if that is enabled my game crashes to desktop at 1 am every time.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009 December 05, 00:12:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is an old bug, get the new version.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
hellewellth
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009 December 05, 01:35:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i have the new verson i  check for a newer 1 a say, I lost my job so i have time.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009 December 05, 02:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i have the new verson i  check for a newer 1 a say, I lost my job so i have time.

Did you actually download, or just look at the thread?

If you just looked, then DON'T, go and download it.  Pescado often make minor tweaks and adjustments to AM with updating the thread to say so.  The thread is only updated for major changes/fixes to AM.  If he updated the thread every time he tweaked AM, it would be a ridiculously long and wasteful thread.

Also, leaving story mode on, but enabling AM story mode worked to stop the 1am crash.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 05, 04:02:14 by wizard_merlin » Logged

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
hellewellth
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009 December 05, 03:04:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i have the new verson i  check for a newer 1 a say, I lost my job so i have time.

Did you actually download, or just look at the thread?

if you just looked, then DON'T, go and download it.  Pescado often make minor tweaks and adjustments to AM with updating the thread to say so.  The thread is only updated for major changes/fixes to AM.  If he updated the thread every time he tweaked AM, it would be a ridiculously long and wasteful thread.

Also, leaving story mode on, but enabling AM story mode worked to stop the 1am crash.
i download every day, if changes i keep if not then del
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009 December 05, 03:28:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That should no longer happen. Do not keep advertising workarounds, they negatively affect the debug process. Verify that this STILL happens with the CURRENT version, as the test staff in grah say this doesn't happen anymore. But who knows what the hell ancient versions some people are using, with their lousy browser caches and whatnot?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009 December 05, 04:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That should no longer happen. Do not keep advertising workarounds, they negatively affect the debug process. Verify that this STILL happens with the CURRENT version, as the test staff in grah say this doesn't happen anymore.

No problems there.  Beats me why people even bother with EAxis story mode, AM is so much more logical.  But each to their own. 

But who knows what the hell ancient versions some people are using, with their lousy browser caches and whatnot?

Ain't that the truth, then argue that they have the latest and greatest.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
JoWe
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009 December 06, 15:29:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the CTD at 1am too. WA installed, Patch 2.2.8 and AM newest version. Till now AM Storymode off and EAīs on. After turning off EAīs Storymode it didnīt happen again and with AM Storymode on also not.

I donīt know if its still happen in EAīs Storymode without AM installed but Iīve enough from testing now Wink

Greetz
snowstormburning
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009 December 08, 20:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing the base game without WA, and I have no mods or custom content installed other than AwesomeMod. Ever since installing the latest version of AwesomeMod, my game crashes to desktop immediatly after the intro. Without AM, I can start up the game and play it without crashing, but once I put it back in, my game crashes again. I tried running it with my configuration, the standard configuration, EA Story Mode, and AM Story Mode, but nothing changed. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, to no avail. I know that AM is the issue here, but I hate playing without it.
minou
Tasty Tourist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2009 December 10, 04:03:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am reporting the same thing as snowstormburning.  I am running the latest version of TS3 on Vista, without World Adventures, with Awesome Mod, 3booter and FPS Limiter.  My game ran fine until today, when I updated Awesome Mod.  Then, CTD happened immediately after the introduction.  I am always careful to delete the cache files (rather OC about it, actually).

Thank you for your help.

minou

Edited for clarification and removal of redundancy.
« Last Edit: 2009 December 13, 23:20:44 by minou » Logged
KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009 December 10, 04:22:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only have received a CTD twice so far. Both times were immediately after installing a newer version of AM, (It last happened yesterday) and both times were right after the loading bar got full. But each time I was just able to Ctrl-alt-del it, and then when I'd restart the game, it would be fine.

Still don't know what caused it, but since it's not a permanent thing, and doesnt happen often for me. I can deal with a random crash every now and then.  Can't be CC, o.O But I'll admit I never bother with deleting cache files or anything.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
Jenipunch
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009 December 11, 06:10:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the same problem as the OP; my game will load to about 3/4ths of the way and it crashes to desktop. I removed AwesomeMod and it still crashes. I have not tried re-installing yet since I patched my game to 1.7.9 and I do not have WA installed. I'm probably doing something stupid but I'm at a loss for what's causing it, and I miss playing my game with AwesomeMod. Any help would be much appreciated, and go ahead and skewer the n00b if you must Smiley

Another problem I have with AwesomeMod is I can't get the config package to run. If I try to make a config AwesomeMod, it never shows up in my game. I think my game sucks (either that or I'm doing something stupid)
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009 December 11, 14:49:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try this:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/133747.page#1616896
snowstormburning
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009 December 12, 05:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This didn't help; my game is still crashing.
Jenipunch
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009 December 12, 12:47:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My computer runs Windows 7 so that didn't work for me either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: