More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:16:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.  (Read 484932 times)
Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Important notice from the GRAMMAR POLICE. Plz read. This means you.
« Reply #675 on: 2009 July 19, 17:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's something you obviously missed in your vaunted education:

Hey 'dumbass' yourself, Rufio. I have never insulted you 'personally' <snip>

Wrapping something in single quotes is not a proper way to emphasize. Quotes are for quotation of exact speech or text, or to imply that the chosen word is dubious in its usage.

Cut that shit out, or I'll have to beat you over the head with Fowler. Watch out, because even my paperback copy weighs a good two pounds.

CC, if you read Rufio's original post, you will see that he starts it with 'Personally', so I was quoting him, not emphasizing.  I am aware with my 'vaunted education' that if I wanted to emphasize something, I would bold it.   Wink

And I would have to counter beat you over the head with my hardcopy Oxford Dictionary which surely beats your Fowler. Grin

Roflganger, generalisations are odious and I don't usually indulge in them.   I totally agree about the average South African who is equally at fault when it comes to knowledge about people and places in other countries.   

TSC, you make me laugh.  Grin 
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 2009 July 19, 18:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I South Africa and there are wild animals roaming in the streets AS I WRITE. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

However, sweeping generalizations FTL. Trolls, the lot of you. Pah.

I've got bush babies in my yard as I write - does that count as wildlife?  

Again, I was NOT making sweeping generalizations about South Africans in general based on the experiences I've had with some.  That was my whole point. My experiences are just down to where I live and the people I happen to have to deal with.  I have never said, and will never say "Fuck, South Africans are an insular lot.  They don't even know the difference between the US and Canada!"

I don't assume that the whole country matches the descriptions I gave just because most of the people I come into contact with happen to.  Hell, I live here entirely voluntarily; if I felt that way about this country's people, I would have left a long time ago.  I was just pointing out that the few experiences Audrey had in America exist everywhere, even in South Africa.

I just wish other people would use the same filter when judging Americans.  A person's experiences with a limited few Americans do not accurately describe the mindset, outlook or attitudes of all Americans.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 2009 July 19, 18:16:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I South Africa and there are wild animals roaming in the streets AS I WRITE. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

However, sweeping generalizations FTL. Trolls, the lot of you. Pah.

I've got bush babies in my yard as I write - does that count as wildlife?  

Again, I was NOT making sweeping generalizations about South Africans in general based on the experiences I've had with some.  That was my whole point. My experiences are just down to where I live and the people I happen to have to deal with.  I have never said, and will never say "Fuck, South Africans are an insular lot.  They don't even know the difference between the US and Canada!"

I don't assume that the whole country matches the descriptions I gave just because most of the people I come into contact with happen to.  Hell, I live here entirely voluntarily; if I felt that way about this country's people, I would have left a long time ago.  I was just pointing out that the few experiences Audrey had in America exist everywhere, even in South Africa.

I just wish other people would use the same filter when judging Americans.  A person's experiences with a limited few Americans do not accurately describe the mindset, outlook or attitudes of all Americans.

The trouble is that Americans are more under the spotlight than people from other countries due to the amount of TV that comes from there.  Therefore, one does build up a picture, which could be classed as a generalisation, that is based on the perceptions which are gleaned from TV.  For example, people would be forgiven if they assumed that a lot of Americans were weight-challenged, based on what is portrayed on TV.   There are many, many other generalisations that could be made based on the 'facts' as portrayed by that medium. 

As the second-largest English-speaking exporter, one would be forgiven for thinking that England has a bunch of yobbos who have bad teeth and only wash once a week.   Television is a powerful medium which leads to an outsider making generalisations about a particular population group. 

Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 2009 July 19, 18:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, one can be forgiven for buying into the image of rotten-teethed Brits because they saw it on TV, but not for thinking "Africa" is filled with wild, street-roaming animals because they saw it on TV?  Making snap judgments about people = acceptable; having a misconception about a country's features = abhorrent.  

Go figure.

And from where I stand, one can NOT be forgiven for buying into the stereotypes portrayed in the media once one is beyond the age of about 8 6 and presumably has developed enough of an independent mind to realize that TV does not even attempt to accurately reflect reality, and that stereotypes suck.

ETA:  By the way, the idea that the concept of Americans as loudmouthed fat slobs comes FROM American TV seems a bit absurd.  If anything, people basing their opinions of America solely on the basis of what they see in American-made TV shows would likely come away with the opinion that all Americans are thin, beautiful and rich.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 19, 18:30:52 by Roflganger » Logged

Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 2009 July 19, 18:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, you don't see wild animals roaming the streets in South Africa, so no, I really can't forgive that bit of ignorance.  

I think that what one sees on TV can distort but can also give a true reflection of what a society is like.  Let's face it, there are a lot of Brits who don't put such store by having a perfect set of pearly whites.  By the same token, around 40% (I could be off by a few percent) of Americans are overweight.  Now, I have not had personal experience of this, but from what is portrayed, I think these perceptions hold true.   I think there is such a diversity of people portrayed on TV, that the stereotype of the loud, aggressive American has fallen by the wayside.  
« Last Edit: 2009 July 19, 18:51:31 by Audrey » Logged
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 2009 July 19, 18:52:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You, sir, are an idiot. You can't argue on the that stereotypes and common wisdoms are true of USistanis and not true of Hairybacks like yourself.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 2009 July 19, 19:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, you don't see wild animals roaming the streets in South Africa, so no, I really can't forgive that bit of ignorance.
I dunno. It depends on how you define "wild animals". The swarms of muggers, rapists, and assorted hooligans and thugs may very well qualify as wildlife.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 2009 July 19, 19:27:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno. It depends on how you define "wild animals". The swarms of muggers, rapists, and assorted hooligans and thugs may very well qualify as wildlife.

Now, that is as true an observation as I have ever seen.  Probably based on media-watching and not on experience. Wink

Rohina, I want what you're smoking.
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: 2009 July 19, 20:17:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Says a lot about the sharpness of your mind if you believe everything you see on TV.

Your high horse is very pretty.  May I pet him?

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: 2009 July 19, 20:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rohina, I want what you're smoking.

What? You are saying you are not a hairyback?

Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: 2009 July 19, 21:05:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Says a lot about the sharpness of your mind if you believe everything you see on TV.

Your high horse is very pretty.  May I pet him?

Nay, Dr.  I'm pretty picky about who pets my horse. You wouldn't be able to reach it, anyway.

Did I say I believe EVERYTHING I see on TV? 

What? You are saying you are not a hairyback?

Only if I don't shave it.
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 2009 July 19, 21:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's something you obviously missed in your vaunted education:
Hey 'dumbass' yourself, Rufio. I have never insulted you 'personally' <snip>
Wrapping something in single quotes is not a proper way to emphasize...
CC, if you read Rufio's original post, you will see that he starts it with 'Personally', so I was quoting him, not emphasizing.  I am aware with my 'vaunted education' that if I wanted to emphasize something, I would bold it.   Wink

And I would have to counter beat you over the head with my hardcopy Oxford Dictionary which surely beats your Fowler. Grin

While you're playing "Whose is bigger?" with your reference materials, Audrey, a self-proclaimed "purist" like yourself might take a moment to look up how to quote someone. Hint: it's done with quotation marks, hence their catchy name. The use of an apostrophe or "single quote" to mark a quotation is occasionally recognized, but such a choice would hardly befit anyone attempting to present herself as a linguistic purist.

For bonus points you might also note that rufio's name is not capitalized. You have made this error at least twice.

Neither of these mistakes is especially heinous; in fact, either can be explained as a stylistic choice. And deviating from proper grammar can be quite effective stylistically. However, if one is going to declare herself an authority on the right and proper use of the English language, she might be aware that making such rudimentary mistakes (even if she wishes to claim she did so "on purpose") will leave her looking more prat than purist.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
TheQuietOne
Asinine Airhead

Max: Sam, is "pronto" a real word?

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 2009 July 19, 22:04:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that what one sees on TV can distort but can also give a true reflection of what a society is like.  Let's face it, there are a lot of Brits who don't put such store by having a perfect set of pearly whites.  By the same token, around 40% (I could be off by a few percent) of Americans are overweight.  Now, I have not had personal experience of this, but from what is portrayed, I think these perceptions hold true.   I think there is such a diversity of people portrayed on TV, that the stereotype of the loud, aggressive American has fallen by the wayside.

You might want to cut down on your TV time and engage yourself in some radical activity like, hmm, reading.
McLuhan or Baudrillard would be a good start.

I'm not quiet, everybody else is too loud. (The Quiet One, The Who)
DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 2009 July 19, 22:22:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did I say I believe EVERYTHING I see on TV? 

Oh, so you only believe the stuff that conforms to your preconceived stereotypes.  Yeah, that's totally different.

Audrey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 2009 July 20, 11:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Neither of these mistakes is especially heinous; in fact, either can be explained as a stylistic choice. And deviating from proper grammar can be quite effective stylistically. However, if one is going to declare herself an authority on the right and proper use of the English language, she might be aware that making such rudimentary mistakes (even if she wishes to claim she did so "on purpose") will leave her looking more prat than purist.

I could rebut the above and pick out all your glaring grammatical errors but, quite frankly, I couldn't be arsed. 

Can I please stop being the butt of conversation around here?  Don't you have somebody else to play with?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 2009 July 20, 11:29:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now, that is as true an observation as I have ever seen.  Probably based on media-watching and not on experience. Wink
Actually, I've been there and encountered it personally.

There are plenty, and I mean *plenty*, of South Africans who are just as ignorant of what goes on outside SA's borders, and particularly within America's, as there are Americans with small worldviews.  On a daily basis, I meet people who paint the very large country that is the USA with one broad brush, as if a few singular instances of ignorance define the entire country.  How small minded is that?
Well, you have to remember: A group is always represented by its worst members. This is the rule. It doesn't matter that any individual member you may have encountered doesn't necessarily exhibit all of the worst behaviors, the fact remains that any group is represented by its worst members. That's just how things work: Whenever you evaluate something, you ALWAYS take the worst impression so as to maintain a balanced view of things. All those other instances are just statistical anomalies.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 2009 July 20, 12:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is MATY. Noobs get sporked if they draw attention to themselves. I must say though, I never saw one give herself a schtick quite so efficiently before.

As far as South Africans' perception of the USA is concerned, it bears noting that one of, if not the, most popular USA TV show over here is a soap opera called "The Bold and The Beautiful". If anyone believes what they see on TV, I would love to know what they make of that.

Regarding the animals, for the record, there was a baboon in the road where I live, albeit last year more or less. It came from a forest nearby, my brother-in-law saw it. Other suburbs of Cape Town regularly get terrorized by maurauding troops. Google "Cape Town baboon" and some links will come up. On the other hand, flocks of cows and goats being informally pastured on the verges right next to the N2 freeway are an everyday occurrence.

More F than you
Roflganger
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 2009 July 20, 12:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you have to remember: A group is always represented by its worst members. This is the rule. It doesn't matter that any individual member you may have encountered doesn't necessarily exhibit all of the worst behaviors, the fact remains that any group is represented by its worst members. That's just how things work: Whenever you evaluate something, you ALWAYS take the worst impression so as to maintain a balanced view of things. All those other instances are just statistical anomalies.

Even with that yardstick in play, even the worst Americans are no worse than the worst citizens of any other countries, so everyone should still end up on fairly equal footing.  It's the people who compare the worst of one country with the best of another and (unsurprisingly) come away with unfavorable conclusions that I would like to see DIAF, is my point.  

Regarding the animals, for the record, there was a baboon in the road where I live, albeit last year more or less. It came from a forest nearby, my brother-in-law saw it. Other suburbs of Cape Town regularly get terrorized by maurauding troops. Google "Cape Town baboon" and some links will come up. On the other hand, flocks of cows and goats being informally pastured on the verges right next to the N2 freeway are an everyday occurrence.

What I think many South Africans forget is that from some perspectives, South Africa *does* have wildlife roaming in the streets.  There's the aforementioned bush babies in my yard, the baboon that your brother in law saw, or the one that I saw a few months ago.  There are sections of road nearby where meerkats will gleefully run in front of your car to see how hard they can make you swerve.  When I lived in Cape Town, I'd take a morning walk to see the seals playing in the surf, or stand amongst the penguins just to feel tall for a while.  To most people I know, that's about as wild as you get.
« Last Edit: 2009 July 20, 12:49:43 by Roflganger » Logged

originalhalf
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 2009 July 20, 12:50:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as South Africans' perception of the USA is concerned, it bears noting that one of, if not the, most popular USA TV show over here is a soap opera called "The Bold and The Beautiful". If anyone believes what they see on TV, I would love to know what they make of that.

That is disturbing as all get out.  I've been watching Y&R since I was 10 6 and can't bring myself to watch B&B.

High Priestess of The Way of the Son of Perdition
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 2009 July 20, 13:14:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I please stop being the butt of conversation around here?  Don't you have somebody else to play with?

Stop posting pokeworthy stuff, and we'll stop poking.

Yes, it really is that simple.  But you'd be surprised how many tards don't get it.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 2009 July 20, 13:18:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I think many South Africans forget is that from some perspectives, South Africa *does* have wildlife roaming in the streets.  There's the aforementioned bush babies in my yard, the baboon that your brother in law saw, or the one that I saw a few months ago.  There are sections of road nearby where meerkats will gleefully run in front of your car to see how hard they can make you swerve.
Yeah, but that's really no different from many parts of North America. Over here, we have bears that break into people's houses and raid fridges, raccoons that rob trash cans, the everpresent roadkill possums, deer that habitually mangle cars in collisions, bobcats and coyotes that make off with small housepets, and bats. Just because some Americans are more used to these animals doesn't make them any less wild! It's just as valid to say by these standards that Americans ALSO have wildlife roaming the streets.

Even with that yardstick in play, even the worst Americans are no worse than the worst citizens of any other countries, so everyone should still end up on fairly equal footing.  It's the people who compare the worst of one country with the best of another and (unsurprisingly) come away with unfavorable conclusions that I would like to see DIAF, is my point.
Humans all suck. I say we kill them all. Although I do have to say one thing: Violent thugs in South Africa are generally a lot less pleasant than the ones in the US. On the other hand, the authorities complain less when I incinerate them with flamethrower, so I call that a win for South Africa. A man gets a lot less hassle for simply defending his own ass, and frankly, I consider South Africa a safer place to be. Sure, there's a lot more crime and violence, but no one complains if you do something about it.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: 2009 July 20, 13:37:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe you guys forgot the stereotype where there is a violent regime change once a month.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 2009 July 20, 13:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cut that shit out, or I'll have to beat you over the head with Fowler. Watch out, because even my paperback copy weighs a good two pounds.

Ummm ... I think you missed something there.  Fowler is the standard guide to English grammar for the, eh, English.  Oxford is good but Fowler is generally better when it comes to English usage with Fowler being specifically a book on usage and the other being a dictionary.  

Inteen for AL, yay!
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 2009 July 20, 14:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't believe you guys forgot the stereotype where there is a violent regime change once a month.

That's not South Africa. We have general elections where the guys who hand out the most T-shirts win, fair and square. Then the media complain that the T-shirts were made in China. Roll Eyes

More F than you
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 2009 July 20, 14:28:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, well, thanks for taking that in stride, then. =D

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: