More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 09:05:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Serious Business
| |-+  Secret Desert Headquarters
| | |-+  Spore Discussions
| | | |-+  Oh DUDE
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Oh DUDE  (Read 23155 times)
Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

Beard is yours for $2.50 at Rose Sims!

View Profile
Oh DUDE
« on: 2008 September 16, 12:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just got to Creature stage and my nest is fuckin' UNDERWATER.
This means CRUNCH NOM NOM as soon as creature hits the part where water meets sand.

(Click for larger view of the HORROR)

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Oh DUDE
« Reply #1 on: 2008 September 16, 13:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, there are big things lurking in the deep. Smiley  They usually migrate to a new nest by around the first brain size increase, if you can keep 'em alive that long.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 September 16, 15:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basically, no. The moment the creature swims to shore (where sand hits water), it triggers the large monster to gobble it up, kind of like when you approach the shore from land (if your nest is onland). There is no way around it except to completely scrap the game. Sticking the nest IN WATER seems to be the worst possible place you can stick a nest, and I've played Creature many many times.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 September 16, 15:45:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I wasn't aware that it gets them going inland -- I only had it get them when they went out too far. 

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 September 16, 15:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I wasn't aware that it gets them going inland -- I only had it get them when they went out too far. 

Yeah, me too.

A nest underwater?  What the hell?  That's really strange.  I thought the nests during creature phase were always in the same general locations on each planet.  Guess not.

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 September 16, 19:38:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't suppose you could try to fly out of your nest?*

*Although I heard they'll get you even if you're flying as well.

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 September 16, 19:55:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No wings available with 5 DNA points (fresh out of Cell stage) - and even if I did have wings, I would get chomped the moment my creature flies over that magic spot where the sand touches the water. That spot triggers the monster, whether you're flying, in the water or on land.

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 September 16, 20:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That spot triggers the monster, whether you're flying, in the water or on land.

Yeah, that happened to me when I was flying over an inlet to save time. I was waay over the water and the big thing still ate me to death.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 September 16, 22:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the green blobby things your monsters, or are they the big water monsters? I'm only seeing one type of critter in your picture.

Spore deprived, not sure what is background / landscape and what's a beastie.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 September 17, 01:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 'green blobby things' are her creatures.  The big water monsters are only visible for mere seconds when they come up to comp you, and then only in a 'special event' movie-type thing.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 September 17, 06:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really, the only thing worth paying attention to in that picture is the map on the lower left-hand corner, which shows the location of my nest.....IN WATER.

SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 September 17, 14:21:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After a second look, your planet looks to be totally FUBAR'd.  Not only is your nest in the water, but food sources are too.  I don't remember seeing that in my game.  And the ? creatures ALL right on the edge of the water.  It's almost like the template of stuff all got shifted South as far as it could go or something.  I'm not any sort of computer expert, but that's what it LOOKS like to me.

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 September 17, 14:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just like Jsalemi, I was shocked and surprised the first time my creature swam out in the water and got NOMmed by a huge creature from the deep.  I think I yelled "OH!"  when it happened.  LOL

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 September 17, 17:11:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After a second look, your planet looks to be totally FUBAR'd.  Not only is your nest in the water, but food sources are too.  I don't remember seeing that in my game.  And the ? creatures ALL right on the edge of the water.  It's almost like the template of stuff all got shifted South as far as it could go or something.  I'm not any sort of computer expert, but that's what it LOOKS like to me.

Yeah, it seems the planet is borked borked borked. I reloaded, played to Creature again and same shit happened. Not touching that planet again.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 September 17, 17:51:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just delete the planet out. You'll get a new one elsewhere in the galaxy. I'm up to nine saved games and from game six on (when I started paying attention), each time I've added a saved game, I've gotten a new planet available.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 September 17, 23:13:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are the conditions for being om nom nom'd by a water monster? I've swum across short distances as a shortcut and to see if I could... how far out do I need to go?

INFP or something
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 18, 00:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I recall, it's about three or four nest lengths. I'm not sure how else you can measure it, creature size not being constant.

On deleting planets or getting new ones every time you start a new game, I almost thought I'd reached the limit when I loaded up the game just now. Then I tilted a bit. The game put the planet so close I can barely click on it. Gah. It's pretty, too.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 18, 12:01:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fascinating, your planets are in different places than mine, and you have 15 to my 10.  So clearly you get more if you start filling up the galaxy.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 18, 15:31:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming there's a limit at some point. I'm starting a new game every night and getting most to space (I have three in tribal). So far, I still have six available planets.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 19, 01:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know, have you seen how many stars are out there? You have entire arms with only one or two, there's still plenty of room.

That said, I have a feeling the first expansion will enable you to play other galaxies. Just a hunch. (I seem to be expanding at a rate of one a day also, though I've been slowing down since I had one reach the core.)

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 19, 03:40:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know, have you seen how many stars are out there? You have entire arms with only one or two, there's still plenty of room.

That said, I have a feeling the first expansion will enable you to play other galaxies. Just a hunch. (I seem to be expanding at a rate of one a day also, though I've been slowing down since I had one reach the core.)

As notovny said earlier, people wopuld pretty much go "What, you can play in other galaxies too?  How is that different?"  Truly, that's pretty much hit it on the head.  Galaxies are galaxies.

Although, maybe they'd add rare galaxy formations like quasars!
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 September 19, 09:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Other galaxies would be unpopulated by PC characters. Possibly with a new nemesis, new galaxy-specific easter eggs, etc...

I'm thinking mainly back to Sims 1, where the limits were much harsher, true, but until the first expansion pack you couldn't even have other neighbourhoods, you were stuck with the one 10-lot hood, and several were already occupied. (Most notably the tutorial and the Goth lot.)

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 September 20, 04:05:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Feh.  You have at least 2,000 stars in the EAxian Way galaxy.  That should tithe one over until we create our own universe with the LHC.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 October 06, 16:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do we know that the limit is at least 2,000 stars? The number of stars in the galaxy is not necessarily equal to the number of potential saved games.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 October 06, 17:36:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Judging by my explorations with just two space-faring species, I'd be surprised if there's less than 2,000 stars in each ARM of the galaxy, let alone the whole galaxy.  As has been said many times here, Spore really does capture how big space really is.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: