More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 21:34:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The War Room
| | |-+  List of spells, reagents req., potions and objects
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: List of spells, reagents req., potions and objects  (Read 35065 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
List of spells, reagents req., potions and objects
« on: 2008 August 29, 12:03:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got sick of trying to remember which spells my witches were allowed to cast, so I made an Excel spreadsheet. The reagents for each spell are listed, except for the one EAxis missed. It's in Excel 2003 format. This also includes which potions each type of witch can make and also which objects. (Plus a small picture of the objects).

Would you believe it, it's 38kb over the limit for MATY.  Roll Eyes  Here's the link.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
Re: List of spells, reagents req., potions and objects
« Reply #1 on: 2008 August 29, 18:49:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

mmm Witch i dont have Excel  is there anyway you could do a version in word?  Undecided

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 August 29, 21:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure. I just copied the tables into a Word 2003 doc.

The reason I did this was because I didn't realise at first that you have to cast spells only of the correct alignment if you don't want to lose the sparkles at either end of the continuum. I couldn't remember which spells belonged to which alignment.

I could also do a csv file if someone doesn't have MS Office.

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 August 29, 22:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I thought the dog-Latin from Harry Potter was bad.  *cringes*

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 August 29, 23:05:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny, I was thinking about the Latin as I was typing. I thought MATYans could have done so much better, I wish EAxis had asked us. I quite like "simae" but the rest of it sounds off, even to my uneducated ear. The little "poems", in quotes because they're so appallingly bad, are, in addition, so poorly formatted I couldn't even be bothered writing them down.

There's a hack-in-waiting. Better poems, better spell names, replace the text strings. We could have a competition.  Grin

rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 August 29, 23:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder if they should be translated into real Latin (might be confusing - the first two would probably wind up as animus pullorum and apes oppugnantes (or something like that) which are not real obvious), fake Latin that is less fail, or something completely different (e.g. resurrecting You Can Has Cheezburger).  I can't make hacks, but I might be able to help with Latin.

ETA:  I just realized where they must have gotten the "mellifera" from - "mellis" is honey and "ferre" is to carry.  Unfortunately, bees don't carry honey - they carry pollen.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2008 August 29, 23:35:10 by rufio » Logged

kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 August 30, 02:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"Ferre" means not only to carry, but also to suffer and a myriad of other translations; it was the omni-verb.
VampLena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 August 30, 08:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im hoping the hack thats coming is a Magic Shop that sells Reagents and potions. Too bad EAxis forgot to watch harry potter (even though they publish the games!) to notice they do have magic shoppes where these things can be purchased, its a pain to have to make some because the npcs only sell you same-alighment reagents.
Jemina
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 August 30, 08:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can buy reagents when you visit the high witch (or whatever she's called). Fly to her, click on her and choose the things you want to buy, I think there's options to buy 1, 3, 5 or 10 pieces of each reagent.
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 August 30, 08:26:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Im hoping the hack thats coming is a Magic Shop that sells Reagents and potions. Too bad EAxis forgot to watch harry potter (even though they publish the games!) to notice they do have magic shoppes where these things can be purchased, its a pain to have to make some because the npcs only sell you same-alighment reagents.

why not make your own shop?  reagents an potions are sellable   

you can even get the auto restocker from simlogical an set restock for free  Wink

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 August 30, 09:53:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA:  I just realized where they must have gotten the "mellifera" from - "mellis" is honey and "ferre" is to carry.  Unfortunately, bees don't carry honey - they carry pollen.   Roll Eyes
Comes from "Apis Mellifera", the scientific name for "bee".

And Poofs, have you tried removing or reducing some unnecessary graphics? Because 640K is all anyone should ever need. Cuz, you know, your link just endlessly loops saying "this user is not allowed to use direct links", so if you don't fix it, I'm nuking this as a dead link.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 August 30, 10:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Poofs, have you tried removing or reducing some unnecessary graphics? Because 640K is all anyone should ever need. Cuz, you know, your link just endlessly loops saying "this user is not allowed to use direct links", so if you don't fix it, I'm nuking this as a dead link.

It might be something in your setup that's not allowing you to download. The Excel file has been downloaded 194 times and the Word one, 52 times. I can download when I'm not logged in to the Box.

I'll try uploading onto my home page. Hang on.

Word doc

Excel file

These work for me, hopefully they will work for you.
« Last Edit: 2008 August 30, 10:17:14 by witch » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 August 30, 11:30:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So looking over the table of reagents reveals that there's an alignmental bias for them. Reagents are aligned as follows:

Dragon Scale: Neutral (6:6:7)
Eye of Newt: Neutral Evil (16:6:0)
Mystic Dust: Neutral (10:18:6)
Viper Essence: Evil (9:0:0)
Essence of Light: Good (0:0:16)
Moonbeam: Neutral Good (0:5:16)

The Reagent proportions for each alignment, with each spell weighted at 1 is as follows:
Evil: 5:16:10:9:0:0
Neutral: 6:6:18:0:0:5
Good: 7:0:8:0:9:16

The weightings based on what will actually be *USEFUL* are yet unknown.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 August 30, 12:42:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Neutral spell Magivestigium, teleport, doesn't have any reagents listed. I don't know whether that will affect the alignment ratios. I think it's another EAxis stuff up.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 August 30, 16:09:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Magivestigium (Teleport) does affect the alignment ratios the same as any other neutral spell - my completely-evil witch read as slightly less evil on the book after casting it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't need any reagents.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 August 30, 21:32:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry Faizah, I wasn't clear. I meant I didn't know if the non-listed reagents would affect Pescado's alignment calculations. I do realise that casting the spell affects the witch's alignment; although I haven't checked to see what the spell actually uses, so it would be great if it worked without needing reagents at all.

knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 September 01, 16:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if you cant open the excel or word file

i made a bmp image of the word doc because jpeg distorts the words  

i uploaded the zip to mediafire list of spells, reagents req., potions and objects Pic  (better image)
« Last Edit: 2008 September 01, 17:00:22 by knightguy » Logged

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 September 01, 19:58:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Magevestium doesn't require any reagents fortunately. On the plus side, it's quicker than the Ninja teleport and much easier to learn.

Tabula Rasa may be useful when "date and run"ning townies. Wipe their memories and relationships, and you won't have a swarm of sims arriving to trash your front yard in the morning.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 02, 08:39:26 by Alex » Logged
Millie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 September 01, 20:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the risk of looking like a geek, they pinched tabula rasa off a Buffy episode, in which Willow removes all of her friends memories. Spork me now. I'm a Buffy fan. Say, does this make it offensive to Wiccans? Willow was a wiccan, right?
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 September 01, 22:22:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the risk of looking like a geek, they pinched tabula rasa off a Buffy episode, in which Willow removes all of her friends memories. Spork me now. I'm a Buffy fan. Say, does this make it offensive to Wiccans? Willow was a wiccan, right?

Or maybe Buffy took it from the Latin "tabula rasa" which means blank slate.
breyerii
Town Crier
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 September 19, 22:58:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tabula=tablet; rasa=erased

Romans used to write incising on wooden tablets covered with a layer of wax, which were erased for re-use with razor-like instruments for later use. From there the locution.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 October 04, 04:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the Buffy reference is pretty obvious and pretty intentional.  Considreing thier other Harry Potthead type Latin spell names, this one could have easily been "Obliviatus" or, more likely, "Memorus deletus".  Of course it's Latin, but the point here is that it's real Latin.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2008 October 05, 01:06:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the Buffy reference is pretty obvious and pretty intentional.  Considreing thier other Harry Potthead type Latin spell names, this one could have easily been "Obliviatus" or, more likely, "Memorus deletus".  Of course it's Latin, but the point here is that it's real Latin.

Tabula Rasa is more than just a Buffy reference.  In fact, the Buffy reference undoubtedly came later.

Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 October 05, 07:03:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tabula Rasa is more than just a Buffy reference.  In fact, the Buffy reference undoubtedly came later.

Yes, but remember, the BBS sheep are EAxis' target audience, the only ones who'll put up with the game fresh out of the box, SecuRom and bugs included. Which reference would they infer from Tabula Rasa? (Also, I'm reasonably convinced that that's the reason for the other 'Harry Potter' style spell names. Well, it's a toss-up between that and EAxis laziness, but, gee, they'd never do a half-arsed job, right? Ha!)

Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008 October 05, 08:05:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Open Office will open all MS Office documents. Doesn't anyone believe in Open Source any more?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: