More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:23:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Question about breeding, CAS, and genetics
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Question about breeding, CAS, and genetics  (Read 16812 times)
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
Question about breeding, CAS, and genetics
« on: 2008 July 23, 17:48:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

CAS sims have 2 sets of genes that match their eye color, hair color, etc. If you make 2 CAS sims, make a baby with them in CAS, does the resulting sim also only have 2 copies of the same gene (whichever got expressed) or does the make a baby CAS sim have 1 copy from each parent?

(my hard drive went pfft, last week. PSA: make regular backups of anything you care about)

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
MajorMercedes
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Question about breeding, CAS, and genetics
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 23, 17:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As far as I know, it does, just don't change the eye color, hair color, or skin tone, as it will revert back to homozygous (two copies of one color).

Being racist is so limiting. Why confine your hatred to specific skin colors, countries, or beliefs? The entire world can be yours to hate.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 23, 18:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes they have a copy from each parents.  I make sims in CAS by making two throwaway sims first and then deleting them when I create their child.  One time one of the throwaway parents had purple eyes.  The purple eyes showed up later in one of the children born in game. 

ISFJ
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 23, 18:49:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do this to create some recessive genes for my CAS. Otherwise the town gets taken ovah by the dominent genes.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 23, 19:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the answers Smiley Jelendra, yes that's why I'm doing it. Though why I'm starting a new neighborhood when my old one (2 years *sob*) is gone 1 month before I start law school is beyond me. I should be doing something... lawly Tongue

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 23, 19:18:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Start a legacy with a Phoenix Wright sim then.  Tongue

pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 23, 23:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes they have a copy from each parents.  I make sims in CAS by making two throwaway sims first and then deleting them when I create their child.  One time one of the throwaway parents had purple eyes.  The purple eyes showed up later in one of the children born in game. 

That is such a great idea!  I never thought of doing that.

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 24, 00:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For my current hood, I did up great grandparents, grandparents & parents (4 of each gen) as throwaways in cas, all with different genetics. I've had skintones, eyecolours & hair colours from all of these throwaways show up in the first generation of born-in-game sims.

I'm very pleased. My little biodiversity experiment worked.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 24, 05:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My 'hood that I'm setting up for Apartment Life has kind of an abnormal setup and diverse households. There's a single guy...a couple, the woman's mom, and their two children...a single mother and her child & teen...a teen mom and her identical twin toddler boys. Since I want them to interbreed with each other and no one else, gradually taking over the abandoned city they found when shipwrecked, I needed lots of genetic variety. Many, many pixels were sacrificed in the process.

Right now the game is in the naughty chair, as I spent all night building a city block of apartment buildings and retail fronts which fit together seamlessly, only to screw up two lots and use foundation bits where the LotAdjuster can't deal with them. Grrrrrr.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jolenedms
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 24, 06:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just started a new hood and was looking to see how many generations it would take for the black hair and brown eyes to go away. All my sims started with those genes and all of them had children with black haired, brown eyed townies.
It is now generation 3 and there are 8 children. Only 1 has black hair, about half have brown eyes, and I even have 2 redheads.
Aren't the genes I started with supposed to be dominant?? I was figuring on like 5 or 6 generations before I got a dam redhead!

Men are like floor tiles. Lay 'em right the first time and you can walk all over 'em forever!   I'm trying to see things from your point of view but I can't get my head that far up my ass!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 24, 06:44:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if you take a bunch of recessives and breed them with a bunch of dominants, you are going to get a second generation that is all dom/recess. sims. Then, if you breed that second generation with each other, you have a 1/4 chance of an expressed recessive. If you breed them with homogeneous recessive townies, that goes up to approx 3/4 odds of an expressed recessive. Of course, odds are individual between eye and hair colors, so you have a chance of 1/16 for any child to be recessive/recessive in an interbreed situation, and 9/16 in a breed with a recessive/recessive townie.

In other news, am I the only one who finds it shocking how many sim players don't know which eye and hair colors are recessive/dominant? Are schools just not teaching basic genetics anymore?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Aelia
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 24, 08:08:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I loved that bit in science. I always wanted to have sex-linked genes in the sims but alas, it was not to be.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 24, 08:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think sometime after I graduated from college, I read that new things had been learned about genetics that made predicting hair and eye color far more complex.  Apparently, it's actually possible for two blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed child.  I don't remember the mechanics of how and why it can happen, though.  That might have something to do with it -- or there might have been too many cases of kids suddenly discovering that "daddy" was really the postman.   Tongue

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 24, 13:40:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some people's genetics do weird things. My father is the only brunette out of 5 kids. My grandmother was a brunette, but she gave birth to 4 blondes. My father goes on to spawn my sister and myself. I was born with brown hair that turns red (mother is a red head) if I spend too much time in the sun. My sister was born BLONDE and slowly her hair darkened until it was the same shade as mine. My mother, on the other hand, is the only red head out of group of black and brown haired siblings.

Also, my mother's eyes are technically brown, but they have a large blue ring around the outside edge  of her irises. My sister's eyes are blue with a small shot of brown in the middle. Mine are brown with a smidgen of light gold. Both parents supposedly have brown eyes.

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 24, 13:50:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aren't the genes I started with supposed to be dominant?? I was figuring on like 5 or 6 generations before I got a dam redhead!

No. Dominant genes are dominant. It has nothing to do with what you started out. And, unless your redhead is holding back a lot of water, it's damn redhead.

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 24, 14:05:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I for one, am glad that it doesn't take that much to "breed them out." I didn't plan my current neighborhood that well. The entire 2nd generation is all black and brown haired. Thankfully, they all should have recessive blonde or red genes as well. So hopefully their spawn will have some more variety. The most interesting sprog I have currently is Pandora. She ended up with Enayla's pixie skin that has the scars on the lip and through some happy accident with binning some custom hairs, she ended up with WHITE hair. It looked good on her, so I left it, even though she is genetically black haired.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 24, 15:19:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose she could be suffering from some sort of follicle issue. That or really, really, really prematurely gray.

I'm starting with:
  • five red/red sims
  • one blond/blond
  • one black/black
  • two black/brown
  • two brown/red
  • red/red elder, out of breeding pool
All basic eye colors, but a little heavy on the gray.

The recessives are going to have to fight a bit, but they should stay firmly in play. The third generation is likely to be very red-heavy, just like Teardrop Isle is. All twelve sims are now living on one big tree-covered lot in a lean-to, living off nothing but fish and some bags of chips they found floating in the shipwreck debris. It's questionable what is in the bottles the three toddlers drink.  A long road extends into the fog, but until they have enough supplies to chance a trek along it, they're pretty much staying put. Plus, the elder and the toddlers couldn't make any sort of distance.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can fit the rent situation that's going to come with AL in, once they get to the mainland. The abandoned city I can explain. The simulated residents I can do. It's getting them more money without having actual jobs until it makes sense that I can't figure, what with the nonplayables not actually being alive.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 24, 16:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think sometime after I graduated from college, I read that new things had been learned about genetics that made predicting hair and eye color far more complex.  Apparently, it's actually possible for two blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed child.  I don't remember the mechanics of how and why it can happen, though.  That might have something to do with it -- or there might have been too many cases of kids suddenly discovering that "daddy" was really the postman.   Tongue

I'm fascinated by hair, eye and skin colour genetics, and the last time I was reading about it, I found out that all the 'genetics' lessons I had for my biology GCSE were a bunch of lies. XD I found it kinda hard to understand, but it's something like: apart from red hair, there's no such thing as a gene for a particular hair colour. There are lots of variations in 'normal melanin' hair colour because it's like a whole row of switches that control lights in a big room. Someone with really light blond hair has all the switches one way, someone with really dark black hair has them all the other, but if you have just some one way you have kinda dark or kinda light hair. And I don't think people are 100% sure how these are passed down, because I couldn't find an easy explanation XD The way I understood it, you can basically get 3 'on' switches from your dad, 2 from your mum, and end up with 5, even if they only had 3 and 2 respectively - so your hair colour is way darker than either of theirs :S I find eye colour even more confusing - the thing I always have to remember is that melanin is yellow and not brown, or I can't get my head around green eyes (in fact, I still can't, but I remember that was one of the things I told myself to remember Sad).

All of this is why I don't understand why people can't get their heads around Sims 2 genetics (which, unless I'm completely mistaken, is the thing with the squares from my GCSEs). And I'm glad to hear that CAS genetic-mixing counts when breeding that sim later on! I did that for a few YA sims who I never bred, so I never worked out if it had any effect XD
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 25, 01:45:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister was born BLONDE and slowly her hair darkened until it was the same shade as mine.
That is basically how it works, yes. It means she's not REALLY a blonde. Many kids have lighter hair than what they ultimately end up with. It's part of the evolutionary whatzit of blondness.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 July 25, 06:34:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never placed much stock in high school level genetics. I was told that left-handedness was a recessive gene. My brother and I have two left-handed parents. We are both right-handed.

I know all too well the dominance of hair colour in the Sims (black/brown over blonde/red) but I must admit, I've only a vague idea of how the eyes go. I never really notice eye colour, unless the skin/eye pairing is only half alien. Eyes are just too small to care about, I don't play with it zoomed in close enough to tell the difference beyond alien/not-alien.

Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 July 25, 07:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the green alien skin get passed down recessivly?

I've had aliens mate with normal sims, and then the sim child come out normal toned, then the grandchild come out green!

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
Jess Maree
Furry Pedobait
Souped!

ISFP - now more Introverted than Pescado!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 July 25, 07:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is basically how it works, yes. It means she's not REALLY a blonde. Many kids have lighter hair than what they ultimately end up with. It's part of the evolutionary whatzit of blondness.

My sister was very blonde as a child, but now she's dark brown. I was dark red as a child, and now I'm blonde (or ginger, if you happen to be FB...).

In other news, am I the only one who finds it shocking how many sim players don't know which eye and hair colors are recessive/dominant? Are schools just not teaching basic genetics anymore?

I was taught basic genetics, but since I don't do a Science in my Senior Schooling most of that stuff went out the window. I need to make room for Microeconomics, the History of the Catholic Church and Modern History. We get a shit load of stuff drilled into our heads on a daily basis and most of us can't retain things that won't count towards Uni/our current subjects.

Fuck you, Old Man. Fuck you.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 July 25, 10:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing about the game genetics is that the system is a simple Mendellian one.  Real life genetics are generally much more complex. 

Inteen for AL, yay!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 July 25, 14:37:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eyes are just too small to care about, I don't play with it zoomed in close enough to tell the difference beyond alien/not-alien.
My sims usually have larger-than-normal eyes. I have a few small-eyes in play at the moment due to some issues with putting in a set of face templates I'd meant to get rid of plus not having face blend limitations off. But by and large, large-eyed sims.  Yeah, I still am not going to see them all the time as I play at a zoom that encompasses a floor of a house. Even with my homes being relatively tight floorplans, I'm not close enough to see the eyes. I do take a lot of pictures, though, and then I'm zoomed in.

My sister was very blonde as a child, but now she's dark brown. I was dark red as a child, and now I'm blonde (or ginger, if you happen to be FB...).
I had black hair when I was born. From birth to age 18, my hair would change color pretty drastically. I'd rotate between a very light brown, chocolate brown, pitch black, and a strong auburn. Always with a slight-to-strong tinge of red. It's pretty stable for the past ten years at a medium brown/auburn.

We were taught that the hair genome was much more complicated than the eye genome and shown how they were arranged, but it was explained that it was still difficult to take that information and say exactly what expressed color a person would have, seeing as no one portion was overarchingly dominant. For the purposes of exercises, we simplified to the same system the game uses.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 July 30, 13:04:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I look at pictures of myself when I was 5 6 and am shocked by how much of a carrot top I was then.  It's faded out over the years to somewhere in between blond and red. Some people call me blond.  Others call me red.  I still call it red because it very noticeably there.  And because it says so on my drivers licenses.   Tongue  Poor sim Trepie didn't get that option.  Eaxis didn't see fit to have any in between hair colors.

The genetics thing is interesting though.  Both of my parents are black haired and brown eyed.  I'm sure a lot of people looked twice when they saw them carrying a toddler around with fire red hair and blue eyes.  Both of my grandfathers had the same fire red hair and blue eyes though.  I guess it decided to skip a generation and single me out.  All of my cousins are dark haired with brown eyes.

Funny how the hair on my head decided to fade out while my facial hair didn't.  The "other" hair didn't fade out either.  ifyaknowwhatimean   Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: