More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 13:39:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  TwoJeffs Has Left the OTHER Building
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: TwoJeffs Has Left the OTHER Building  (Read 16372 times)
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
TwoJeffs Has Left the OTHER Building
« on: 2008 March 31, 14:48:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there are still plenty of people coming to MATY for his mods, I thought it might be a good idea to update the location. TwoJeffs is now at a site named Simbology.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
Re: TwoJeffs Has Left the OTHER Building
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 31, 16:41:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh*  Another forum to register for.  Thanks for the information.
Baronetess
vcline
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 31, 17:46:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps this one should be stickied and the other one about Twojeffs removed. Huh
Charamei
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 31, 20:26:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah!

Oh, well. Better delete my InTeen account, then.
Alexx
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 31, 20:37:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh.SleepyCat In - TwoJeffs Out. Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 01, 00:05:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

His stuff is still up at the first other building....

Zephyr Zodiac
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 01, 00:36:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the heads up,  I'd hate to lose track of TJ.

It looks like Jase is phasing out his presence in the community, I don't use Inteen but it's sad to see the familiar names say goodbye (or disappear into oblivion).

According to the news item TJ's mods will stay at Inteen for a couple of months though all support is now on the new site.

Hotmail ate my registration heh.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 01, 02:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new site is TJ's own, permanent new home, so he shouldn't be moving again. 

I agree, I hate it when members of the modding or design community leave us, gaps are created that never really get filled in quite the same way, but that's life, I guess.

Zephyr Zodiac
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 01, 02:55:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hotmail ate my registration heh.

You too, huh? I was beginning to suspect they just didn't like me. Wink

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 01, 03:10:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I changed the email address in the end, but now I have the sending address so you can add it to your filter in hotmail to let it through noreply[at]simbology[dot]com  (replace the words at & dot with @ . )
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 01, 03:24:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ta for that.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 01, 05:35:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

actually I'm a Mod at both sites now  Wink 

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 01, 07:54:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh*  Another forum to register for.  Thanks for the information.

You don't have to register to be able to d/load the hacks which is good.
Alexx
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 01, 09:11:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

actually I'm a Mod at both sites now  Wink 

Seems your avatar now not too appropriate as for "kitten killers"moder. Smiley
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 01, 09:41:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I know how Jase feels.  That was pretty much behind the reason why I'm not as enthusiastic/prolific as I once was.  It's just mind-numbing boring to have to go over your old work every 6 months updating it - knowing that the more stuff you make the more of a chore you will have when the next 6 months goes by!  Being a hacker is supposed to be about experimenting, pioneering, breaking new ground.  Not about routine maintenance.

It wasn't like this with Sims 1.  They only changed the game core once, at Nightlife^H^H^H^HotDate I think it was, but it didn't stop anything being forward compatible.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 01, 10:09:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't they change it again with Unleashed (and SS and MM for that matter) as well? But you're right, they didn't keep changing it. Even better, they only ever released 3 patches...  Shocked
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 01, 11:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well and the emphasis really was that each time there was an EP, it merely increased the resources available to the hacker, without losing compatibility with work already completed.   So although new work often required the EP it was created within, old work would go right on working.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 01, 11:54:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's fair to say that there has been a change in attitude with game publishers over recent years to 'design less in advance, release now and patch later'. DVD media is cheap so reworking old chunks of content isn't an issue as it doesn't take up valuable space on EP releases. Likewise, they assume that most people have access to a broadband connection to download patches, if not at home then at work, college or a library. While I appreciate you can't design a whole game + 7 EPs in advance down to code level you can at least create a system that better supports forward compatibility. Sometimes it seems that each EP is created in isolation then shoe-horned into the rest of the game.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 April 01, 12:08:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well and the emphasis really was that each time there was an EP, it merely increased the resources available to the hacker, without losing compatibility with work already completed.   So although new work often required the EP it was created within, old work would go right on working.
This sounds like crazy talk to me. How would you cover the case where a new expansion expands on the functionality of an existing object? Wouldn't this necessarily create a conflicting version? I fail to see how TS1 would be different in this regard: You'd be overriding an underlying resource that changed, yes? And besides, TS1 didn't even *HAVE* hacking until about 3 or 4 expansions in. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten bored with it and quit entirely by the second expansion. All I remember is a number of prominent murder-disappearances of people who did create early SimPE-like things.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 April 01, 12:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only time a new EP altered existing objects was with Unleashed, where toilets were updated so pets could drink from them.  All other EPs only added new stuff.  And there was certainly no rewriting of existing globals!

What I meant by new resources I was thinking of for instance when with MM there was the ability to make a visitor selectable.  I was then able to make a hack that made visitors controllable.   And when they mended the "Set to next" primitive it became much more useful and reliable.   But if I used it in a particular way after the fix that relied on its new state, I had to say "don't use this hack unless you have at least X EP" or their game would have crashed.   Although I could if I wanted to update my old hacks to take advantage of new features, I didn't have to, and they would go right on working like they used to.

With Sims2, hacks are often neither backward nor forward compatible.

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 April 01, 14:13:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Didn't EAxis try to stop the modding community at first?  I remember reading something about it a long time ago.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 April 01, 15:32:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The first people to make modding tools were ex-maxis employees, and Maxis wanted to limit how much inside knowledge they took advantage of in their tools.  One of them Don Hopkins, complied and made Transmogrifier with their blessing.  Another was less cooperative and made ScriptStation.   He was stopped and eventually made IffPencil which was more compliant with the rules.

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 April 01, 17:01:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't realise they were ex-employees, I do sort of remember Transmogrifier, something about a pink flamingo tutorial sticks out in my mind.

I still think it would be much better if they left a year between expansions, it gives them time to make more content, fix issues in previous releases and tighten up the code on the current project.  It would also give the community time to breathe with regards to mod upkeep. 

Six months isn't all that long for a game like this, you barely get to grips with the latest expansion when the new one comes out, there are still tons of things I haven't ever done with previous EP's for example, not to mention that it takes ages to fix most of the problems before you can settle down and actually play.

How much real play time do you modders get out of an expansion?  I expect after initial release you don't even get a couple of hours a week?
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2008 April 01, 18:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I seem to *mostly* only play when I have to test something.  I do sometimes decide to play just for the heck of it, but it usually turns out not for long, because I soon spot something that I could do with in the game, and quit again to look for it or make it Smiley

miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 April 02, 01:04:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see where it might be difficult to restrain yourself while playing Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: