More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 10:49:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Expansion Packs (and whether to use them or not)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Expansion Packs (and whether to use them or not)  (Read 13327 times)
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Expansion Packs (and whether to use them or not)
« on: 2007 December 05, 14:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'lo all,

Just a quick question today. As I've been deprived of my precious comp for a few months (long story) I'd like to start fresh over with TS2. Complete new install, sparkly clean folders, all that.

Now I'm wondering whether it's a good idea at all just to install a few select EP's (seeing as I don't really use the features of some), or if that will potentially FUBAR my game and it's better just to install the whole lot to be on the safe side.

Any ideas?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Expansion Packs (and whether to use them or not)
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 05, 14:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Installing select EPs is fine. As a guideline, I would recommend NL, OFB as a minimum, but never JUST NL and things below it, because the NL engine itself is crashware.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 05, 14:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would it be okay to install Base, Uni, NL and Seasons only? Thanks anyway for a lightning-fast response  Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 05, 14:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's an acceptable stable config, yes. I recommend OFB as well, however, as installing OFB enables you to create satellite "shopping district" subhoods identical to the regular subhood, and enables the ownership of community lots, which in turn enables Awesomeware to directly manipulate the guest list by category. Pets is not as necessary, as the added elements of Pets are all noncritical.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 05, 14:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, thank you. I'll add OFB to the install list.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 05, 17:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why nightlife?  What does it contain that gains the game?
Also, can't nightlife be patched with any stuff pack as an alternative to OFB?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 05, 19:28:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are the cars and downtown a nightlife only feature, or can you manipulate the game into allowing at least drivable cars? I have all the EP's and no stuff-packs, and I have installed them all on my new shiny. I don't want to do without the car or downtown. I don't go there often, but they are important for me to enjoy playing, especially the vampyres.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 06, 03:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You need nightlife for downtown and the vamps, and I'm pretty sure you also need it for the cars.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 06, 04:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need NL for cars. There's an official download that gives you a driveway and some cars.

Fail.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 06, 05:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would recommend installing all of them to be on the safe side.

svic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 06, 07:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Base, Uni, NL and Seasons only and it works fine.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 December 06, 11:16:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My experience is that if you don't add Uni, you'll have problems with LTWs.  When I had base + OFB (which I liked a lot by the way as it felt more real to me - no vampires, zombies, resurrection, changes in aspiration), I had 6 missing LTWs.  When I put seasons on top, I had the 6 LTWs, but couldn't achieve them.  There's a thread or two about it in the Podium somewhere.  The awesome never ruled definitively on whether this was "as intended", buggy or whether my game was borked, but I did find other people with the same problem, so I pass it on as something to look out for. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Nepheris
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 December 06, 13:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I would leave out NL if I could, but I think I read somewhere it's got some critical stuff that could bork up your game if you install other later EP's without it.

Fact or fiction?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 December 06, 13:45:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is EA we're talking about, so these are all undoubtedly error-prone if you leave any EPs or SPs out.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 December 06, 14:10:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SPs are leave-out-able because they lack any new codes. All the early EPs add critical core elements to the game and omission appears to result in odd behaviors, though. Uni apparently is required for all the LTWs, NL is needed to have "Downtown", OFB is needed to have subhoods and owned comm lots. Pets and possibly Seasons are more superfluous.

DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 December 06, 17:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great, thanks for the tips. I'm getting OFB this Sunday, and I already have Nightlife installed. Uni sounds boring to me, so I'll give that a skip. I'll get Seasons down the line, too, probably, if I am sure that my system specs are adequate. I'll be sure to install the two patches for OFB, and assume everything will be fine!
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 December 07, 08:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been running Uni/NL/Seasons for ages.  I'm one of those people who likes Uni and sends all the sims there, without fail (though I speed the time spent there up a bit).  With MATY hacks and proper care not to do anything to break the game, I'm running fine.  Though I'm still on the hoods from my first install, and I never had a huge problem running just NL (aside from a MATY wants/fears hack that wouldn't play nice), so I may be an anomaly.

I've been debating OfB for MONTHS, basically just for the roofs.  And maybe the toy bench.  I just don't know if it's worth the resources for the small amount I'd use it.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 December 07, 11:27:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great, thanks for the tips. I'm getting OFB this Sunday, and I already have Nightlife installed. Uni sounds boring to me, so I'll give that a skip. I'll get Seasons down the line, too, probably, if I am sure that my system specs are adequate. I'll be sure to install the two patches for OFB, and assume everything will be fine!

If I'm right that leaving out Uni, leaves you 6 LTWs short:
a) you'll find it annoying that all the LTWs are career related except for family sims.
b) when you add seasons, you'll have unachievable wants which is worse.
If it all works fine for you, please report back so I stop misleading people....

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 December 07, 12:19:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Leaving out NL gives some unforfillable wants such as "slow dance". Also I guess the whole dating thing is left out(?) which I like to have the option for in my game when a sim doesn't have any other hope of getting out of red aspiration.

ISTP
DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 December 07, 20:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I'll report back on that, then. I can buy Seasons for R50 (South African currency), and another R50 for University, so maybe I'll add all of 'em. OFB is a must though, and I imagine that I'll play at least a month or so with this pack. I'm leaving for Taiwan on the first of February, so I'm not sure how much I'll be playing, but I'll keep your request in mind.

Seasons sounds pretty cool, but I'm iffy about my system's capabilities. Pooh.
JadeDruid
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 December 08, 00:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need NL for cars. There's an official download that gives you a driveway and some cars.

WHERE!!!?!?!?
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 December 08, 02:00:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here.
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 December 08, 15:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Seasons and no Uni, and I haven't noticed any unfulfillable wants. What wants are you talking about?

For the record, I have Base/NL/OFB/Seasons. I'm thinking about getting Uni, if I can convince myself my computer won't start smoking.

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
Draak
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 December 08, 16:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Uni, NL, OFB, Seasons and one of those stuff packs, I think it it is Glamour Life. No problems here.
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 December 08, 19:01:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that Cwykes meant unachievable LTWs. I did a search for cwykes' previous posts and "LTW" and found this. Basically she got the wants that uni added but even if a sim achieved them it didn't permaplat them and they never got the memory for it. The borken wants include "earn 100k" and "max 7 skills".

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: