More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:27:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Myths, urban legends.... and alien abduction
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Myths, urban legends.... and alien abduction  (Read 50262 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Myths, urban legends.... and alien abduction
« Reply #50 on: 2007 December 03, 02:18:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kids can't be shoved and can telescope all they want, no one notices. Teens can be both shovers and shovees.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 December 03, 05:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA
Theodor Heuss? I like your style, Zazazu.

That's his birth house. Does yours look similar?
He's named after Theodor Heuss Bridge in Dusseldorf. Looks like it's the same person, though for a different reason (yes, I'm half German, but I know almost nothing about the country). The Ridge family direct descendants of founder/heir are all named after bridges of the world. Of course, this would have made more sense had I named them the Bridges instead of the Ridges, but there you are.  The house the sim was born in is a colonial. He's currently living in a small cabin in the woods with a dog and his niece Galata, expecting some alien spawn.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2007 December 03, 14:11:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the default shover was the "p/matriarch" of the hood.  The first created sim maybe?  That's why it's Mortimer Goth  in Pleasantview & Consort Capp in Veronaville, or so I thought.   In my TSR challenge hood it's Sonny Day who was the first sim I put in there.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 December 03, 14:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the matriarch/patriarch of the hood is the shover, then Loki and Circe Beaker(I could be wrong with the last name), the scientist couple who experiment on Nervous Subject, must be the leading citizens of Strangetown. Because that is the one hood where I actually played long enough to have my simmie look through the telescope and had Circe come over and practice hostility on my pixel person.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 December 03, 14:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, it's the 'oldest' playable sim in the hood based on their character file number.  In Pleasantview, after Mortimer Goth dies John Burb becomes the shover. And so on down the line.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 December 03, 15:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Joe, that makes sense. I thought it would be one of the sims with the least nice points that was selected by the game.

Hmm, it makes me wonder how that works in a new hood then. If you still have the assorted families in the sim-bin and the houses. Do they already have character-files associated with them, or do they get one once you put them in game? The sim-bin sims must already have one, because they are used for walk-by sims. Or is it the first CAS sim that gets the honor?

Gah. I wish I could look. Where the hell is that computer? Come on Fed-Ex, get the lead out!

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 December 03, 17:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, it makes me wonder how that works in a new hood then.

In my custom neighborhood it is the first sim I created there.  I wish that I had known about this effect way back then, because I later created a sort of 'neighborhood bully' character whom I wanted to be be the one.  But alas, no.  Even emptying out all 'nice' and 'playful' points was not enough to make it happen.

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 December 04, 03:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a new hood, it's the first playable created (lowest character file #), even if they're still in the sim bin, or just plopped in a lot and never played again.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Yimmit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 December 04, 09:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In a new hood, it's the first playable created (lowest character file #), even if they're still in the sim bin, or just plopped in a lot and never played again.

Or spawned as a townie and then moved in and made playable. For a while after my first playable died, it was Colby, who had married Daisy. Once Blaine married Meredith, she took over as shover even though Colby is still around.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 December 04, 10:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually start a new neigbourhood with each new EP, and I always plan my telescope shover.  Ever since pets, I've used a crazy cat lady sim for the job:

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 December 06, 17:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's something I always wanted to know (actually since Sims 1):

Does the zodiac sign have any influence on the personality or behaviour of a sim? Of course if I create a sim in CAS the sign will change with the distribution of the personality points, but if I change it with Insim for example, would it make any difference apart from that sim suddenly being more (or less) attractive to certain other sims?

Does it matter - for the behaviour of a sim - how I distribute the personality points? I could never free myself of the suspicion that there are only three categories - low, medium, high - and that the range from 1 - 10 is deluding the players, so that they believe they have more choice.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2007 December 06, 22:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lawdy, Gwill. That sim looks meaner than Crumplebottom. The perfect shover.

I don't know about the zodiac signs. Those seem to do a little (emphasis on little) something in the attraction arena. Other than that, I could never see a discernible difference in either interest points or personality points, save for the cut-offs. Like 4 ticks in interest stops the sim from doing the 'finger in the ear' or related stuff.

Sims with 4 ticks in nice, neat, and playful also show a visible difference, but active needs more than 4 to make the sim run. I haven't had the chance to see for myself yet, and it will be a while before I can.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 December 06, 22:25:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't there something in Peasantry that breaks down how attraction works and how much certain things influence attraction?

I remember someone was working on it the right before I took my hiatus. I can't remember if it ever got done...

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 December 06, 22:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, Jelendra.

I haven't looked, but then again, I had no reason as of yet. I can't even play right now, I'm still trying to get everything installed.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 December 06, 22:37:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I rarely ever let my sims find mates naturally. I always make couples. Then I get to match their signs and turn ons myself. Then it doesn't matter if they think Sports are boring because they have three bolts for each other.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 December 07, 02:25:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like having a couple now and again who are hot for each other but can't carry on a conversation. Or those who have neutral chemistry but whose interests are completely in line.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 December 07, 02:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the zodiac sign have any influence on the personality or behaviour of a sim? Of course if I create a sim in CAS the sign will change with the distribution of the personality points, but if I change it with Insim for example, would it make any difference apart from that sim suddenly being more (or less) attractive to certain other sims?
Zodiac sign alone has no effect on personality or behavior in any edition of the game, but personality defines the zodiac sign in CAS and if you use the debug-drag. Zodiac sign independently of other factors has an influence on attraction after NL's attraction system. Pre-NL, it is meaningless.

Does it matter - for the behaviour of a sim - how I distribute the personality points?
To some degree. Personality has an influence on the motive decays along a continuum: Active sims lose energy more slowly, Serious sims lose fun more slowly, Shysims lose Social more slowly, etc. Some objects are slightly more attractive to sims of certain personality classes, although this generally means the action goes from "Obsessive-compulsive" to "REALLY obsessive-compulsive". There are also, however, quantized points, where either you have it, or you don't. For instance, the ability to Always Run appears at Active > 500. Therefore, below 501, you have a lazy sim who takes forever to get anywhere, at 501+, you can GO GO GO, which makes a MASSIVE difference. In CAS, since you can only control at 100-point increments, this ability will appear at 6 bars. Other points include the 301 "Book Point" for Neat: At 301+, a sim will return a book to the shelf, at 300 and below, they will refuse to do so, and will obsessively and perversely attempt to dump it on a coffee or end table, even if it means a longer trip!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 2007 December 08, 02:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

J.M.  - any chance you might be willing to make a thread in The War Room with the personality info?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 December 08, 05:17:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

J.M.  - any chance you might be willing to make a thread in The War Room with the personality info?
Maybe. There's not all that much to it, though, I only keep track of a few nuisance points. The basic underlying point is that more personality isn't necessarily better, just more neurotic.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 2007 December 09, 22:26:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's plenty of unanswered questions about aliens in this thread that need pulling together and de-bunking if you're interested in necromancy on Myths and Legends.  Nobody has said "yes" or "no" about whether stop-starting telescope gazing increases abduction chances. 

Totally off-topic, but someone asked me yesterday why the policeman always came and broke up parties because they were too noisy.  I know that's a feature of late parties, but does noise have anything to do with it at all?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 December 10, 02:01:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was under the impression that the cops would only come if you had music outside. I have to look into that once I can play again.

According to TJ's abduction rtfm - if I understood it right, the stopping action resets his mod to the beginning again. The odds get better, the longer a sim looks through, but re-start from the top once the sim stop-starts. I don't know if that applies to non-modded telescope behavior though. I have to re-read TJ's rtfm again, maybe he meant that this goes for all telescope usage.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 December 10, 02:24:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup.  In my game, the cops show up if the stereo is on and is either outside or there is a speaker outside.  Considering that the speaker is borked and sends out animated notes signals even when the stereo is off, the cops come to all parties.  Gotta get rid of that damned speaker.  I used to just delete the police car, which allowed me the amusement of watching the police woman (who inexplicably had a mohawk hairdo) walk home.

As Veilchen says, with TJ's mod installed, if your sim wants to be abducted, there is no point in stopping and restarting stargazing 'cos odds reset to low.  Not sure what happens in an unmodded game.  For me, there would be no abductions at all, with my luck.

Tribulatio proxima est
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 December 10, 04:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game the cops come if there is a stereo on anywhere in the lot. Inside or outside.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2007 December 10, 05:02:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my game the cops come if there is a stereo on anywhere in the lot. Inside or outside.

The bastards!

Tribulatio proxima est
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2007 December 10, 05:19:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims are lucky not to get tazed!

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: