More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 16, 20:32:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  A question about sims 'learning to study'
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: A question about sims 'learning to study'  (Read 11960 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: A question about sims 'learning to study'
« Reply #25 on: 2005 December 02, 20:33:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think children (human) who aren't taught to walk do learn for themselves - I know from what my sister said that my niece learned to climb at an age when mum and dad didn't even know she could stand up!  Went missing one day - my sister had gone into the kitchen and when she came back, no kid!  finally discovered her on a shelf among the records!

Zephyr Zodiac
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2005 December 02, 21:26:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My mother in law always says "you teach the first one, do your best with the second, but the third one brings themself up!" or something along those lines.  Her second didn't bother talking properly til big brother went off to school and wasn't there to explaine what no2 wanted.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 December 02, 21:31:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think children (human) who aren't taught to walk do learn for themselves - I know from what my sister said that my niece learned to climb at an age when mum and dad didn't even know she could stand up!  Went missing one day - my sister had gone into the kitchen and when she came back, no kid!  finally discovered her on a shelf among the records!

I agree, my brother's firstborn never escaped the crib and though he had tons of people trying to teach him to walk, he didn't bother till he was darn good and ready,
his brother (who nobody had spent that time on) was climbing out of his crib and walking around coffee tables at 9-10 months old. They'll figure it out when they're ready (as soon as something interesting enough motivates them to)

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 December 02, 21:34:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, walking is pretty much innate.

Kids learn it when they have sufficant motivation.

Which could be exactly the kind of motivaton you don't want them getting into! Like a box of dirt.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 December 03, 01:14:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or a toilet!  And there's no Fix out there for human kids if someone forgets and leaves the bathroom door open!

Zephyr Zodiac
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 December 03, 13:58:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was watching my brother's kids (4 and 15 months) and we were making cookies. The baby disappeared around the corner and I could hear him giggling. It took me a second to find him in the bathroom but I was completely stunned to find him playing in the toilet. I've been around dozens of babies and toddlers but I'd never before seen one do that in my life! It was hilarious.

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 December 03, 16:08:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure he's real and not a sim? Grin

Zephyr Zodiac
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 December 03, 17:18:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, walking is pretty much innate.

Kids learn it when they have sufficant motivation.

It also has to with the maturity of their nervous system. Their brain has to be up to a certain level of development before learning complex motor and other skills is possible. The brain is still not done with its development at the time of birth, but physical changes happen in the brain long after we're born at the same time we learn new skills.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 December 03, 20:03:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, and as a one-time teacher, I can testify to the fact that development of these abilities varies enormously, particularly in relation to the sex of the child.  Boys generally learn the motor skills for physical activity earlier than girls, whereas girls are better with fine motor skills (I suppose in terms of early man this was a necessary division of labour!) but when you teach older boys verging on teenage, they generally catch up the girls in the fine motor areas, and girls usually become more physically adventurous as they get older - but I think that's partly due to the fact that these days girls are encouraged in areas like sport whereas in the past it was considered "unladylike" to run etc.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: