More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 16, 01:44:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sims - Neighborhood Walk-By/Visiting Community Lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims - Neighborhood Walk-By/Visiting Community Lots  (Read 15821 times)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Sims - Neighborhood Walk-By/Visiting Community Lots
« Reply #25 on: 2007 February 14, 00:53:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True. If you have only the base game, GLS offers the most upgrades in one go.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2007 February 14, 00:57:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Open for Business - running businesses adds a whole new dimension to the game and avoids vampires, zombies and werewolves.  Pets adds a different dimension + werewolves.  I added OFB to base game and got life time wants, bolts and turn-ons.  I didn't get the full set of Life Time Wants for some bizarre reason.  People adding NL to base game did, so not getting them with OFB is bizarre.  I'm missing the non-career wants from non-family sims and one of the family sim wants as well.  If you just added Pets to base game, I'm not sure if you'd get the full set or not.  DK what you'd get if you added Glamour life to base game.  I thought Glamour life was supposed to be a waste of money and didn't work too well with Pets. Huh

If you are going to add an EP, think about the career track you put your sims on even in base game - I got very frustrated when I added OFB and found my well played sims had suddenly acquired LTWs to do something completely different.  Antonio Monty was struggling to raise two kids alone and be a famous chef, as per the Maxis set up, but when I added OFB, he suddenly wanted to be a doctor - chef is NOT a knowledge sim LTW.  Nora had maxed two careers and was happily painting masterpieces - suddenly her LTW was doctor.  I haven't played her since - I don't want to take her through another career and I don't want to cheat and make her permaplat either.  Elders pretty much all have unachievable LTWs, so you're better off not aging sims until you've played them with the EP added.  If they have retired, they can't max a career - if they only had one child, marrying off 6 kids is tricky, if their partner died, golden anniversary is tricky too! 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 February 14, 01:31:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FFS is OFB part 2, GLS is OFB part 3.
Both add the full engine upgrades prior to Pets to existing games.

Yes you will lack some LTWs, but you gain everything else.

If you already have OFB or Pets, GLS and FFS are probably not worth the $20, although I must say I like the GLS items, they're some of the best objects EAMaxis has made. FFS, not so much. But if you only have NL or older (or only TS2 core) they are worth it.

Personally I least like OFB of all the expansions. I don't like playing businesses at all, and never use them. Uni has little to do with the rest of the game (except that it brings LTWs, but those are also in all later packs); NL brings downtown (restaurants, dining); OFB only has shops as a unique feature; Pets adds significant engine improvements for builders, and of course the Pets (which I personally find less important).
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 February 14, 03:14:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Elders pretty much all have unachievable LTWs, so you're better off not aging sims until you've played them with the EP added.  If they have retired, they can't max a career - if they only had one child, marrying off 6 kids is tricky, if their partner died, golden anniversary is tricky too! 

Pescado has a hack that allows elders to get "real" jobs from the computer instead of elder jobs, and the elder jobs are still available from the newspaper.  This would make the career LTWs achievable.

I've recently decided that not every sim needs to be permaplat.  How many people in real life achieve their dreams?  So why must my sims ALL achieve their lifetime wants?  Playing to their LTWs has affected the way I play the game.  For me, LTWs have turned The Sims 2 into a goal-driven game rather than the story & character driven game that I played pre-Uni and in The Sims 1.  I guess it's the gamer in me - "if there's a goal in the game, I must achieve it!"  I'm trying very hard to let go of that tendency.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 February 14, 03:20:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've recently decided that not every sim needs to be permaplat.  How many people in real life achieve their dreams?  So why must my sims ALL achieve their lifetime wants?  Playing to their LTWs has affected the way I play the game.  For me, LTWs have turned The Sims 2 into a goal-driven game rather than the story & character driven game that I played pre-Uni and in The Sims 1.  I guess it's the gamer in me - "if there's a goal in the game, I must achieve it!"  I'm trying very hard to let go of that tendency.

Hey, join the story-telling cadre of players.  If you play to tell stories, LTW are usually not at all important.  I think it's interesting how people play the game in different ways.  I've never 'got' the goal-oriented 'gamer' approach though.

Inteen for AL, yay!
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 February 14, 03:58:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually get the permaplat, then put the Sim on Power Idle so they pretty much do what they want.  Wish there was a "Macro->Artist" or "Macro->Novelist," tho.  I've got a Sim that constantly wants to crank out a novel!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 February 14, 04:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uni has little to do with the rest of the game (except that it brings LTWs, but those are also in all later packs); NL brings downtown (restaurants, dining); OFB only has shops as a unique feature; Pets adds significant engine improvements for builders, and of course the Pets (which I personally find less important).
Uni adds the ability to have 6 wants, 2 locks. This is absolutely vital for subsequent expansion packs, lest ye lose all your wants to clogbloat crap wants. A full 6 slots makes it less likely that something will consume all 4 slots for days at a time. NL introduced 8009 BHAVs. While we try to avoid using them when possible, and revert BHAVs to 8007-format for reverse compatibility, they sometimes creep in anyway, or are found in the works of non-awesome hackers and especially object makers, and cause problems when loaded in Uni-. OFB is believed to have added significant improvements in the LUA engine, and if you're not running OFB-engine, things that use this may not work at full functionality.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
moniquinin
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 February 14, 09:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gali, Gali, Gali. When are you ever going to realize that behaviors like this defeat the point? If I could just go and MAKE a perfect mate like that, I'd be married, too. UNFORTUNATELY, IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY.

That's true Pes, but this is not RL.  The difference is that here, we get to play God, and playing God means doing whatever you want with your sims, whether it's to make them suffer or finding/creating their soulmate.  That's why I like to cheat in games like the Sims because if one is God, then there's no such thing as cheating.

1. I am a Mac person so DO NOT refer me to Simpe!!!!
2. English is NOT my first language so please forgive any mistakes.
3. My dog loves to eat chicken shit.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 February 14, 12:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually get the permaplat, then put the Sim on Power Idle so they pretty much do what they want.  Wish there was a "Macro->Artist" or "Macro->Novelist," tho.  I've got a Sim that constantly wants to crank out a novel!

When I put sims on power idle they sit on the couch, only getting up to take care of their needs, call friends, respond to the baby controller, or help another sim in the household with skilling.  That's hardly them doing "pretty much what they want".  It's pretty much them doing what Pescado wants.  I do this too, but I find it boring to watch.

Pescado used to have a mod called continuouspaint.  You'd click on the easel and the sim would paint, sell the painting when done, and start another painting, repeat.  They'd drop out of it to tend to their needs, so I use it in conjunction with power idle.  Get their needs tended to, then send them back to the easel.  He discontinued it, and said at the time he was going to roll it into macrotastics.  I still have this mod in my downloads folder since it hasn't been rolled into macrotastics yet.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
Moa
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 February 14, 16:14:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want my Sims to tell their own story, so I try to play attention to their wants. On the other hand, I have 300+ controllable Sims, and it would be boring to let every one of them excel in life, so I throw obstacles in their way. When choosing a job, they have to select the third one offered, and they have to work their way to the top of that one before they can start on a new job track. They can only drink the Elixer of Life if they are in Platinum, and only between 6pm and 10pm at night (10pm and 1am for elders so I dont eliminate platinum gravestones).

If I had my way with the game, there would be a lot more left to Chance. I think NL is my favorite so far, mainly because of the Attraction bolts. Instead of me selecting mates for the Sims, there's at least a pretense that they've got some opinions on the matter. I wish Sims had a disaster menu, like the Simcity games had, where the player could opt to really loose havoc on her neighborhood. (Image how much wonderful chaos an earthquake or a nuclear powerplant meltdown could create.)

Mailman Pao Mellon and Kaylynn Langerak threw a pretty daughter in my game. Don't know if Pao is in Pleasantville or not, but the mailmen are around on a regular basis.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 February 14, 17:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I put sims on power idle they sit on the couch, only getting up to take care of their needs, call friends, respond to the baby controller, or help another sim in the household with skilling.  That's hardly them doing "pretty much what they want".  It's pretty much them doing what Pescado wants.  I do this too, but I find it boring to watch.
Power Idle is for IDLING, not for WATCHING! Alternative approaches are currently being investigated to improve sim maintenance while still letting them perform some actions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 February 14, 17:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Add in ACR and they're always running off for a quickie!
SimsDiva
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 February 15, 14:52:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The best EP/SP IMHO is Glamour Life. Pound-for-pound, it has all the best improvements of the game and the most stable engine for about $20. You can't beat that with NL or Pets.

You know, I almost got this one a few weeks ago.  After reading this post (and the one below it) I wish I had now.  And I wouldn't feel as guilty spending $20 on myself, as opposed to $30.   Even better!  Wink

GL takes the lead over NL...
SimsDiva
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 February 15, 15:31:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Open for Business - running businesses adds a whole new dimension to the game and avoids vampires, zombies and werewolves.  Pets adds a different dimension + werewolves.  I added OFB to base game and got life time wants, bolts and turn-ons.  I didn't get the full set of Life Time Wants for some bizarre reason.  People adding NL to base game did, so not getting them with OFB is bizarre.  I'm missing the non-career wants from non-family sims and one of the family sim wants as well.  If you just added Pets to base game, I'm not sure if you'd get the full set or not.  DK what you'd get if you added Glamour life to base game.  I thought Glamour life was supposed to be a waste of money and didn't work too well with Pets. Huh

If you are going to add an EP, think about the career track you put your sims on even in base game - I got very frustrated when I added OFB and found my well played sims had suddenly acquired LTWs to do something completely different.  Antonio Monty was struggling to raise two kids alone and be a famous chef, as per the Maxis set up, but when I added OFB, he suddenly wanted to be a doctor - chef is NOT a knowledge sim LTW.  Nora had maxed two careers and was happily painting masterpieces - suddenly her LTW was doctor.  I haven't played her since - I don't want to take her through another career and I don't want to cheat and make her permaplat either.  Elders pretty much all have unachievable LTWs, so you're better off not aging sims until you've played them with the EP added.  If they have retired, they can't max a career - if they only had one child, marrying off 6 kids is tricky, if their partner died, golden anniversary is tricky too! 

Thanks for all the info.  I have a better understanding of what OFB is all about.  So far, I've been trying to play to their wants, so LTW will likely factor into that for at least the few families I've focused on so far.

I went ahead and read through the rest of this thread, and I gotta tell ya:  picking which expansion/stuff pack to get first is going to be a much tougher decision than I thought it would be.  I was all set to pass on Uni until later on, but having two locks would be wonderful.  I've wished for and needed another lock so many times.

I might be better off just buying them in release order and save myself from all the indecision.   LOL  The only thing I'm certain of right now is that I want them all except for the holiday stuff packs and Pets.  I might change my mind on Pets later on, but at the moment I don't care about it.

I'll keep everything said here in mind, and when I do get one, I'll let ya know which one I went with.  (In the form of many questions about it, I'm sure!)
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 February 15, 16:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play only with TS2, Uni EP, and Nightlife EP. I have OFB, but uninstalled it (too buggy). Didn't buy Pets at all.

If I would be restricted to only one EP - I would choose NL, which is the best addition.

Uni adds the six wants panel (and 2 locks), but only if the sim graduated; pre-made sims remain with the old four wants, unless you use a cheat to change it. And, as I prefer to play mostly the pre-made families, Uni doesn't add much.

I would like to hear more about Glamour Life from Dizzy. Sounds interesting. Dizzy, which new features does it add?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 February 15, 19:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glamour Life seems to be the last revision of the OfB engine, meaning it's the most stable version. As such, it has all the bug fixes to OfB that Pets applied, but without the unstable features that Pets added. It also has the most complete objects.package file aside from Pets and the most complete Lua interface except Pets.

Basically, Glamour Life is like buying all the patches for everything pre-Pets all rolled into one. Plus, whatever features are considered "global" (I don't recall these off the top of my head) should also be in GL.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 February 15, 21:59:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I mentioned above that I still have it, I've had a couple of requests for my copy of Pescado's continuouspaint mod. 

I really haven't used it much since OFB, as my sims now tend to roll up pet wants (which I ignore) & crafting wants (which I satisfy) rather than the "paint a masterpiece" want.  So I can't guarantee this still works in OFB or Pets.

* continuouspaint.package (20.47 KB - downloaded 173 times.)

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2007 February 16, 03:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Glamour Life seems to be the last revision of the OfB engine, meaning it's the most stable version. As such, it has all the bug fixes to OfB that Pets applied, but without the unstable features that Pets added. It also has the most complete objects.package file aside from Pets and the most complete Lua interface except Pets.

Basically, Glamour Life is like buying all the patches for everything pre-Pets all rolled into one. Plus, whatever features are considered "global" (I don't recall these off the top of my head) should also be in GL.

So Glamour life has the fixes from NL patch 2 that didn't make it into OFB?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 February 16, 04:40:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, but you still should patch every single XP you have installed, since later XPs only contain fixes for objects.package, not for the other files.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 February 20, 17:47:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow! What a big improvement I've got, buying the Glamour Life stuff!

Before it, I had to wait almost 2 minutes to save a 5x5 lot, "heavily" furnished. Now the lot is saved in less than a minute - on the clock, 35 seconds! Not to speak of the cool stuff added to the game.
I won't uninstall this pack from my game, never.

Thanks, Dizzy, for the useful information. Kiss

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: