More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 02:21:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Create a sim and Makeup?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Create a sim and Makeup?  (Read 6506 times)
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Create a sim and Makeup?
« on: 2006 October 24, 21:46:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When going to the makeup category in create a sim (Step 4),  The game lags terribly.  What is it about makeup, brows, glasses etc that causes the lag.  I can have 100's of eye colors and hairstyles/hair meshes and Step 3: Hair & Face doesn't lag at all.  But if I add a small number of colors to each of the different makeup categories the game slows to a complete crawl.  Both steps show the sim face close up.

Kralore
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
Re: Create a sim and Makeup?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 24, 22:00:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've the same issue. It irks the hell out of me. lol
I can switch like the wind with even the heaviest hairstyles once the pages are all loaded, but so much as opening the glasses, makeup, etc categories causes -everything- to go laggy and choppy till I've waded through and selected the makeup and jumped back to faces or moved on to clothes.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 25, 04:55:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh!!! I know! I hate, hate, HATE this issue. Seriously. What is it about the makeup and accessories? My hairs folder is 8 times the size of my makeup folder, and yet the makeup loads a gazillion times slower. And my clothing folder is frigging 15 times the size of it, and it still loads a gazillion times faster. Why?! Why!!!!

I don't know much about this, but I do believe that stuff like this is unfortunatelly hardcoded...although I'd so love for someone to prove me wrong on this.
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 25, 05:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm hoping one of the great minds here has an explanation and solution to the problem. Grin   I have alot of makeup files that I would really like to have in game, but the game literally slows to almost a dead stop if I go to the makeup category.  I have it trimmed down at the moment, but even still it's very slow and choppy.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 25, 06:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the reason for this is that hairs/clothes are cached for faster loading in the future (you'll notice it takes longer the first time you load a page full of new things), whereas makeups aren't, so are always loaded from disk every time.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 25, 07:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never noticed that, but I don't have more than maybe a hundred files in my makeup folder.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 25, 12:55:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the reason for this is that hairs/clothes are cached for faster loading in the future (you'll notice it takes longer the first time you load a page full of new things), whereas makeups aren't, so are always loaded from disk every time.

Is that so? Is it possible to make the game cache these files? Yes? No?
« Last Edit: 2006 October 25, 21:04:04 by idtaminger » Logged
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 25, 18:36:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not really an issue with load time.   If you go to the makeup category, scroll through all the choices, they should all be cached to memory at that point.  If you sit there, it will remain laggy.  It's like some other process is running while in that category and it's using most of the system resources.   If you delete the cas thumbnails, go to face/hair, yes it will take a short time for the first page of hairs to load up, but after that the game isn't laggy.

Even if makeup is never cached to memory, when you go to makeup, it should load the first page of all the choices, and if you sit there, there is no loading of anything, so it shouldn't be laggy.  The more I think about it, it really is like the game is doing some kind of constant checking/updating when in that category.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 01, 03:46:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This issue is definitely new for me in Pets.  It isn't that the category is laggy per se, it's the animations that the Sim goes thru while standing there.  I don't know if it's something conflicting, or some other Pets-related weirdness going on.  But it's definitely new since installing Pets, as I have the exact same stuff I had as far as makeup and accessories goes before installing Pets, and I didn't have the laggy animations before now.  And it only happens when accessing the makeup/accessories area in CAS...everywhere else in CAS is fine as far as the animations go.

It's beyond frustrating.

Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 01, 06:43:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing today and discovered it's laggy like that with no custom content.   I don't think it's a pets issue,  I'm not sure if my game has been like that from the beginning with no expansions or at what expansion it started.  I know it did that with open for business, but can't recall if it was like that before open for business.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 02, 03:42:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has this always been this way? With no downloads whatsoever, I opened up Bodyshop and selected to create part in the different categories...when I came to the "glasses" category, I literally have over a hundred in there for adult and elder female and male that have nothing but the model showing.  Yet when I go to any other age category for creating a part, there is one item that's blank, then it starts with the marked items, the funny goggles that came I think with OFB, then the rest of the stuff. 

When I go to build sims, the adult and elder male and female categories don't show all those 100+ extra items that the create parts screen is showing.

Now, as I said, this is after taking out all my downloads and deleting what I think are all the appropriate thumbnails as well.  Is it normal to have all those extra Maxis nothingness show up in the create-a-part glasses area? Which by the way you can't create anything from, it gives me an invalid texture error when I try. 

Just curious about that.

That being said, the makeup lag screen thing for me definitely started happening with Pets.  I have not added anything new since installing Pets, and whammo I got hit with this horrendous lag in only that screen with or without custom content.  The minute I start adding makeup to my sim, my sim starts lagging the screen tremendously.  Funny how adding clothing or hair doesn't do it, it's only anything within the makeup tab that does it.  If I put the makeup on and then rapidly switch hairstyles, I don't even get that lag, even though it's just as close as when I'm just sitting there merely looking at the sim on the makeup screen (not even making any changes, just LOOKING at it). 

So there's something seriously screwy going on now, and it needs fixed...

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 November 02, 03:59:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just made a Sim in BodyShop and imported him into the game.  Makeup and accessories are much less laggy in BS.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 November 02, 05:01:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't have any lag at all in bodyshop.  You'd think it's the same content, there would be lag both places, but there isn't.  So there's definitely something different going on...

Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 November 02, 07:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That being said, the makeup lag screen thing for me definitely started happening with Pets.  I have not added anything new since installing Pets, and whammo I got hit with this horrendous lag in only that screen with or without custom content.  The minute I start adding makeup to my sim, my sim starts lagging the screen tremendously.  Funny how adding clothing or hair doesn't do it, it's only anything within the makeup tab that does it.  If I put the makeup on and then rapidly switch hairstyles, I don't even get that lag, even though it's just as close as when I'm just sitting there merely looking at the sim on the makeup screen (not even making any changes, just LOOKING at it). 

So there's something seriously screwy going on now, and it needs fixed...

I had been playing just before getting pets (was making sure things were good for install of pets)  and I had the lag with all expansions up to open for business, so definitly not a pets issue with me.  It's been laggy with OFB and possibly earlier expansions.

Yeah, I don't have any lag at all in bodyshop.  You'd think it's the same content, there would be lag both places, but there isn't.  So there's definitely something different going on...

No lag for me in bodyshop either.
Charamei
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 November 02, 12:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had it since GLS, I think (could be FFS as I bought/installed both at the same time). It's definitely got worse with Pets, though. And when you're setting a custom neighbourhood in which every Townie and playable needs a certain set of accessories...

Perhaps there was an issue before, and Pets has made it worse so that more computers are lagging?
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2006 November 03, 23:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may be on to something.

As well, the accessory.cache updates at weird times during the makeup process.  Even though I've selected everything and everything should be in memory, lag still persists.  The constant-load-from-harddisk-during-the-makeup-screen-ONLY that JM mentioned seems to be the most likely culprit, and it happens no matter if you have custom content installed or not.  It is clear that this isn't happening when you switch categories to the hair category.

Now, why is there a constant need to keep checking the harddisk for new items? You can't add new items while you are in the game.

This is definitely something that needs squished.  Gah and double gah.

I guess no one else has noticed or has an answer to the 100+ odd mannequin heads that I have in my glasses category in bodyshop create parts even with no custom content installed either eh? I'm still trying to figure out where those came from and why they have no textures.   

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: