More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:36:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Point & Laugh ? about installing lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Point & Laugh ? about installing lots  (Read 17264 times)
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Point & Laugh ? about installing lots
« on: 2006 April 04, 00:06:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everyone should point and laugh now and get it out of their systems ;)

Ok, seriously, until recently my downloads folder has been a major mess. When I got OFB, I dumped all downloads, played for awhile without any and have been slowly adding them back in as I get them organized (and throwing away whatever I can't organize or am too lazy to deal with - that is, almost all custom hair files.) So now it looks beautiful. I can find stuff. I know what it all is. I can find groups of things - everything is all together (I've found it's more important to me to know what something is and what goes with it than even who made what (tho I'm keeping that too).

Anyways... it *was* beautiful. Until I decided I wanted to install a couple of lots. And some of the lots I want have extra parts that install with them, not just the lot itself. If I use a "traditional" install (I am using clean installer), they get stuck in teleport and next time I open the game they're all in this long messy group in my downloads folder. If I custom choose a folder and put that in teleport, they won't install at all (I guess it doesn't have subfolder useage). If I custom choose a download folder and don't put the actual lot in the teleport folder, it won't install (what is the point really of the teleport folder anyways?) If I custom choose a folder for all the extras and put the lot segment in the teleport folder, the lot will load *but* the "extras" won't be on the lot (immediately apparent as external wallpaper is missing, tho I dunno if it all is, I assume so). If I install the lot and move all those extra files (means I have to install each lot individually, but ok I don't mind that so bad - we're not talking a million or something) to their own special folder...

argh!!!

the lot "forgets" that the extra stuff went with it and loads them without.

Of course I *have* all the files (I just loaded them) and if it's just a wallpaper or two, no big deal to put them back on the house. BUT, a couple of them are really complex - CycloneSue's Jungle Hideout and her Ghoul's Point houses. I want all the extra stuff (the rope bridge and ropes down and ghosts and lots of stuff) and would never be able to figure out how to put them back together properly.

But I don't want a new great big list of miscellaneous unnamed things (or even named things) in my downloads folder. I want them neatly subfoldered. And I can't figure out how to get it to work. Is there any way? Or is it just a lost cause?

And, why do lots seem to be loading about a billion (slight exaggeration, yes) empty packages every time I load one?

Finished laughing yet? Surely this is something I should have figured out at least 2 EPs ago :) Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Unsouper
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Point & Laugh ? about installing lots
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 04, 00:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually just let them install and then manually separate the files afterward.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 04, 00:20:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And after you manually separate them, are all the pieces still on the house?

I don't explain things well. I mean, for example, I loaded a victorian that had a custom outside wall paint. I let it install normally, loaded the game, placed the house, looked and yep it was all pretty-mint-green- victorian-sideboard colored. Exited the game and manually moved the files to a "lots" and "Victorian Lot" subfolder. Reloaded the game and and lot and the pretty mint green wallpaper wasn't on the outside walls anymore.

Is it just my game?

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 04, 00:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well...

* BlueSoup BWAHHAHAHA!  (Just kidding.  Wink ).

I have everything in my Downloads folder in subfolders.  No loose files. Once I install a lot, the lot package goes to teleport, and the loose files go into the Downloads folder loose. Unfortunately, some of the files have those horrendous names, but if you look at them in Clean Installer, they have nice neat names and are labelled walls, floors, etc.  Afterwards, if you hover over the package name in Clean Installer, it will give you the long file name that appears in your Downloads folder and then you can rename it manually to the file name that appears in Clean Installer.

I have two or three windows open when I do this, and it can be tedious, but if you're only doing one or two lots at a time, then it shouldn't be so bad.

If you plan to do this, I recommend removing all the subfolders first (or better yet, putting all the loose files in yet another subfolder - I call mine Sorting Hat - and then scanning only that one folder.

Did that make sense?

Edit:  And I've never had the problem you describe of the wallpaper not showing up again afterwards?
« Last Edit: 2006 April 04, 00:32:54 by BlueSoup » Logged
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 04, 00:28:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always separate them afterwards as well.  Took me a long time to work out why all the custom stuff that came with the lots I downloaded never showed up even though it was in the game, it was because I'd installed it into the appropriate folders.  I have no idea why Clean Installer can't cope with that, it's very annoying.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 04, 00:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* BlueSoup BWAHHAHAHA!  (Just kidding.  Wink ).

<laugh> good, laughing is good for you. I'll take credit for a couple of extra minutes of life for you ;)

Edit:  And I've never had the problem you describe of the wallpaper not showing up again afterwards?

hmmm, either I broke something somehow (figures), or I didn't actually place the lot and just think I did (do the ones in the bin still have the custom stuff on them for you as well?) or something. Shame I didn't have a neat folder before I had OFB (and didn't realize how I was junking up my dls folder as I wasn't paying enough attention) because now I don't know if something changed in this install. I didn't patch yet either, but I don't remember seeing anything like that on the patch list.

<will try some more - maybe I just *think* I waited 'til I loaded the game. Who knows.>

Unsouper
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 04, 00:36:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think you actually need to place the lot, just load the game so the lot moves to the catalogue.

After that, if you've only installed a couple houses, you shouldn't have all that many loose, wonky-named walls/floors (well, unless you do), but there's really no other way around it.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 04, 01:22:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could it be because clean installer doesn't support nested subfolders? It only "looks" one folder deep.

anelca
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 04, 02:52:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in my experience yes thats true, installing lots via Clean Installer results in everything going into the downloads folder unsubfoldered.
for example my subfolder "build" has subfolders within it, with subfolders within those, so i have to collect up all the walls and floors or other architectural feature and distribute them among the subfolders as appropriate.
a bit of a chore when some things only have a string of letters. if those don't have a pic to ID them i open them in simpe to identify what they are, and then have to check i don't already have them, otherwise i end up with a host of duplicates. sometimes it pisses me off too much and i delete them, go into the lot and replace them with something else
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 04, 02:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I only propose 2 simple (no time wasting ) solutions here:

1. DON'T INSTALL LOTS (sorry if this sounds sheepish but hey, its the ultimate solution to your issue)
2. Create a "misc" folder and dump all those files that comes with lots inside...after that, forget that folder is there, pretend it doesn't exist. Go into game and enjoy the lots  Grin

And Sagana, I am not laughing because I thought of your problem long ago when I decided to be crazy and sort out my downloads...and yeah no 2 is the solution I am using now...and it works for me ... Wink

Go Away
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 04, 03:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After the lot is installed, and the lot is now safely ensconced in the Lot Catalogue, you can go back and put all the loose files in subfolders, as mentioned above.  If it's a long string of numbers/letters, you can hover over that in Clean Installer to match up and rename the file.  Long and tedious, but it does work.
sgestner
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 04, 03:48:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I recall correctly, there is also an option to choose your directory for download...you can manually type in the subfolder if you want...at least I think so.  It's been awhile since I used it for that...
yetyak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 04, 05:01:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had good luck installing just the lot file and then installing the other stuff into their proper folders separately.  Yes, closing clean installer after the lot, and reopening to install any walls and floors I wanted.
greeneyedsims
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 04, 07:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Create a "misc" folder and dump all those files that comes with lots inside...after that, forget that folder is there, pretend it doesn't exist. Go into game and enjoy the lots 

I did this very thing...so, amidst my very well organized downloads folder is a "clutter folder" that I never even think about.  It's got all that stuff in it that came with my downloaded lots.  All I try to do is run it thru clean installer and delete the duplicates.

--green
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 04, 13:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After the lot is installed, and the lot is now safely ensconced in the Lot Catalogue, you can go back and put all the loose files in subfolders, as mentioned above.  If it's a long string of numbers/letters, you can hover over that in Clean Installer to match up and rename the file.  Long and tedious, but it does work.

That sounds important.  Have I got it right...?   The Sims2 expects to find content for a new lot in the downloads folder itself and not in subfolders.  So you have to leave it there until you've started the game and the lot is safely in the lotcatalog.  After that you can move it.

If your main downloads folder has nothing in it but sub-folders when you install the lot, you will know that every loose package file there came with the lot(s) you just installed.  I'd usually check for duplicates before I start moving them around. Cleaninstaller looks at subfolders if you tick the box named "recursive".  If that's unchecked it only looks at the folder you point it at.  So to find duplicates, tick the "recursive" box and choose the main downloads folder. Then go make some coffee while it loads everything.  Sort them so the duplicates are next to each other by clicking on the column header above that column of numbers.  Then scroll down and find a pink one.  You'll find the duplicate right next to it, so you see where they are stored and decide which one to keep active.  Right click and delete or turn off the other.  (You probably know this stuff, but there's always the odd wrinkle you miss on a package like cleaninstaller)

PS - I've been over to the cleaninstaller board a couple of times.  People are posting problems and not getting much help.  Delphy says as far as she knows there's no new development on S2CPI.  Find duplicates would be a good add on!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 04, 15:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds important.  Have I got it right...?   The Sims2 expects to find content for a new lot in the downloads folder itself and not in subfolders.  So you have to leave it there until you've started the game and the lot is safely in the lotcatalog.  After that you can move it.

Well, I don't do it that way.  Being Miss Anally Retentive, I stuff everything in their proper folders immediately.  Stuff seems to turn up alright.  Mind you, I don't DL a lot of lots.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 05, 01:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I want to say thanks to all, especially Sagana for bringing this topic up.  This solved a problem I was having with the Sims I downloaded on lots. They were were showing up with family name Moniker and the lot being empty, I guess cuz I was putting them into subfolders with clean installer before I loaded the game. I just tried downloading again, this time without subfoldering first, and now my Sims are on the lots where they belong  Grin Thx
Baaaaaa! 

Edit: yes, my MATY sims only, cuz I know they're "clean"
« Last Edit: 2006 April 05, 03:38:07 by TaWanda » Logged
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 05, 03:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Isn't downloading lots with sims very, very bad?
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 April 05, 03:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is, but some of that MATYians have made Simselves and then put them on lots so their personalities were all set, etc.  They shouldn't have met anyone at all.
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 05, 05:20:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, why do lots seem to be loading about a billion (slight exaggeration, yes) empty packages every time I load one?

Sagana, I'm not sure but I think the empty pkges that show when you check your stuff with CI is caused by disabling the CC when you load lots into your game.    Actually they are caused when you disable any CC
with pkges into your game. 

Before the feature with OFB being able to reuse your houses by putting them into the housing bin, I was
reloading some of my own lot segments into my game.   I didn't want a whole bunch of duplicate files so I
disabled all the walls and floors etc.  I ended up with tons of empty pkges.     
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 05, 05:53:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmm...I too got quite a few empty files trying to DL those MatySims/lots (and a few other lots) the first few times, but not this last time. I haven't disabled any CC at all, so I would think it too has to do with the subfoldering before loading.
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 05, 06:03:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't subfolder before loading with CI TaWanda.    I move the files into the folders later.    Most everything is already in their folders, so I can tell when I go into Downloads that all the loose files there
are the new ones.   Once I go into the game and check them out, I then go back into CI later and either delete them if I don't like them, or put them into their respective subfolders.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 05, 06:15:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I was trying to be neat and organized and I know that if I don't subfolder before I get into the game I will get involved in playing and forget about organizing and the next thing you know...big mess in the download folder again.
 I've just started on downloading lots in the last week or so and I was seeing the same problems Sagana brought up, so this topic couldn't have been more timely. I'm glad it's something as easy as not organizing into subfolders until after letting the lot load  Cool
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 April 05, 06:23:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love CI.  It allows you to actually move things around and see what they are.    I'm not usually all that organized, but I find with the CC for my simmies I tend to get carried away sometimes.   The empty pkges aren't really that big a deal, nor are your duplicate files, as long as you remember to run the CI and check the MD5.   It lists all the empty pkges and duplicates for you.  I just delete them.   
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 April 05, 09:57:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wandering off this really useful topic a bit.  Grin Do any of you know for sure whether cleaninstaller includes the maxis objects when it checks for duplicates.  I don't think it does myself, but several simmers who usually know what they are talking about have told me it does.  The MTS2 help thread on missing maxis objects, says you have to check for Maxis duplicates by taking all your downloads out and putting them back in the tedious time honoured fashion.  That says to me CI doesn't do it.  I have the odd screwed up Maxis object in my game too and CI isn't helping. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: