More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 11:07:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Large character files
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Large character files  (Read 3057 times)
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
Large character files
« on: 2007 October 01, 11:28:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was checking my character folders just to see how many I had when I noticed by chance that there's one character in particular which takes up close to 5 MB.  The lot that they're on loads up just fine, but when I save and exit the game, the file size for that character doesn't shrink down to any sort of normal size.  It doesn't get a whole lot bigger either but I didn't play for more than a few minutes.

For comparison, most of my characters are close to 0.75 MB in size.

I can accept that character files will inevitably get larger because they record more data, but this seems a little out of the ordinary.  What might explain it?

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Large character files
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 01, 12:04:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of my character files have more than 10Mb in size.

That extra bloat is probably caused by photobooth pictures being stored in the character. If you open the character file with SimPe, you can see the resources of type 0xAF74F8E0 taking much of the space. Although that resource type is unknown, you can change it to 'Texture Image' (0x1C4A276C) to see what the images look like.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 01, 13:17:47 by Theo » Logged
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 01, 12:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured it out when I looked in the ol' inventory and saw a whole pile of painted pictures.  Oopsie.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 02, 00:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha! So that explains why lots with custom sim-paintings crash the game when trying to use them without the sim that made the paintings. If sim-created paintings are tied to the sims' character files, then that very much makes sense. Well, you learn something new every day.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 02, 05:34:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha! So that explains why lots with custom sim-paintings crash the game when trying to use them without the sim that made the paintings. If sim-created paintings are tied to the sims' character files, then that very much makes sense. Well, you learn something new every day.

I have a community lot with a bunch of custom paintings on it, the sim that made them is not even in the current hood this lot is in now. It has never crashed on me. It also hasn't crashed in a friends hood.

The lot was bought, paintings were placed, lot was sold back to community.

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 02, 21:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Paintings on a lot are not stored in character data.  In Marvin's situation, the paintings were in the sim's inventory.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 19, 02:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I once had a Beau Broke who had a character file twice the normal size, and he had memories of meeting himself, and wants to be friends with himself, and eventually the memory of being best friends with himself (the good old handheld........) and although I had problems getting him back from uni, he was fine afterwards, although maybe just a little schizoid!

As to inventory items, sometimes if your sim owns a business, you will have him, his wife and his teenage kids make stuff at home, then go to his business with an enormous amount of stuff in his inventory, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: