More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 08:59:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Can Sound Errors Cause Game to Crash?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can Sound Errors Cause Game to Crash?  (Read 17948 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Can Sound Errors Cause Game to Crash?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 16, 21:58:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I did get a reasonable deal on mine, but since the release date in the UK is later than the US I'd then had a chance to read up on all the glitches, which seems about the worst load of rotten tomatoes EAxis has ever had the nerve to release as a "finished product" so I haven't even looked at it yet, and I shan't until someone can assure me that the patch works and all my favourite hacks work or are now obsolete, and it won't destroy my game......

Zephyr Zodiac
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 16, 22:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually this started happening before I installed BV, so I do not think it has anything to do with the newest EP.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 16, 22:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But all the other problems I've been reading about, specifically relating to BV, are what's made me wait.  This EP doesn't fire me with that much enthusiasm at the moment, I was never that keen on Vacation when I played Sims1 either, and I can wait for the new custom content etc.  My sims in my present game can only just afford the essentials, holiday abroad can wait awhile!

Zephyr Zodiac
ravencrow
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 16, 22:07:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sympathies.

I love my Dell. Brand new, but it had Vista installed. So I coundn't really play the game well w/ the graphic card that came with it.
So I replaced it with a ATI Radeon X1900, 256mb.
Slapped another gig of ram in it, and it purrs like a kitten. I LOVE IT... Oop's did I already say that? Wink

BTW, I have the same sound errors, but they only come up in the cheat line.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 16, 22:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those errors have been there since the base game, check in your logs folder, they're there.  Delete them, load your game for one second and exit - they're back.  As I said, they are just stuff that got left behind.

Zephyr Zodiac
Deviancy
Asinine Airhead

Brownies are evil...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2007 September 18, 14:15:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually this started happening before I installed BV, so I do not think it has anything to do with the newest EP.

Seasons had the same video crash issue, it was resolved with last patch that came out in July though. 

Anywho...

I installed the beta drivers Nvidia has on their website.  I knew it wouldn't fix the audio clipping but I was hoping it would help with the crash.  So far the game is running a bit more stable, but I haven't had a chance to really run it through any heavy tests yet.  I haven't gone to a vacation lot yet.. that test will be today.. whee.. tests.  Nothing beats paying for something that puts me back into troubleshooting mode.  @#$ if I liked to troubleshoot I wouldn't have quit my last job.. @#$#.

But all the other problems I've been reading about, specifically relating to BV, are what's made me wait.  This EP doesn't fire me with that much enthusiasm at the moment, I was never that keen on Vacation when I played Sims1 either, and I can wait for the new custom content etc.  My sims in my present game can only just afford the essentials, holiday abroad can wait awhile!

The only reason I get the expansions is for the interactions and little supernatural extras such as the werewolves, vampires and plant people.  But Bon Voyage offers a little more than just visiting new lots, there's the secrets like finding Big Foot.. finding the ninja.. the witch doctor.. and learning new interactions during vacations.  Of course to be honest, the new Insimenator is out and I can just use that to get the sim to pick up everything without ever having to leave the lot heh.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 September 18, 14:42:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

93 version driver is pretty old--You might try the drivers at Guru3d.com. I believe your card was on the list. Run a search based on your card....
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 September 18, 15:33:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still having the nVidia crashing issues as well.  GeForce 7800 on my machine, and the newest beta drivers (163 or 164 I think, I'm not at home to check right now).  The driver nVidia put out for Seasons fixed the problem, but BV messed it up again.  The beta drivers seem to work a bit better- I can play for longer now, and I don't always get the game's BSoD, but now I'm having the same kind of crashing that you are describing where the moniter just falls asleep randomly like a narcoleptic.  Nothing else on my comp has been changed except for the video driver.  As far as the game itself, I haven't changed anything other than installing the EP and the fix for the tour guide spawnage.  I'm considering switching to the 93 driver ZZ mentioned.  Is that driver only for the 7600, or can I give it a shot?
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 September 19, 04:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the problem of my monitor going to sleep but it is intermittent, and it doesn't happen during the game, it only happens when I am starting my computer.  I have 2 GForce 6800 XT and since the new drivers I haven't had one video glitch or blue screen--Thank God.  Mine started happening after I got a new monitor.  Can't seem to find the problem.  I think this Problem is probably more of a hardware problem than a game problem--Mine didn't correspond with any new Sims release.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 September 19, 05:09:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't blame BV. Or Nvidia.

Like I said, I have an ATI card. And my computer has been doing it off and on since at least Pets.  Roll Eyes

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 September 19, 20:26:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those errors have been there since the base game, check in your logs folder, they're there.  Delete them, load your game for one second and exit - they're back.  As I said, they are just stuff that got left behind.

I didnt have sound errors until University.  Now I have to disable my sound drivers before I play so it doesnt lag.  Myaudio device also isnt compatible with the game so I never bothered updating the drivers bc I didnt think it would matter

ISFJ
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 September 22, 02:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last night my game crashed due to a sound glitch.  The stereo skipped and I was immediately looking at my desk top no message either.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2007 October 01, 02:16:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've only once had a sound-related game crash, and it occurred when my household of playable Uni students performed music at a community lot. I had cancelled the action to play an instrument from one of my playables and then immediately queued for another of them to play the same instrument. I think that's what caused the crash, but I don't remember if I also had a hack -related problem with instruments, or not (it was a while ago), or if/how I ever fixed it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 October 01, 03:18:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get sound related crashing when Uni came out, it happened right up until Nightlife at which point it stopped happening.  My guess is that there was a bug that someone at EA found and fixed *crickets chirping* no really, they actually fixed that one in an expansion Cheesy

I have not played BV since the first couple of days really (hubby begs, whines, winges and moans for me to come heal him on EQII and lays on a guilt trip whenever I try to play TS2) so I have not yet experienced this new possible sound crash. 

I do recall that only a very small number of us had this problem, a search of the bbs tech help section may dig up an old thread I started way back then as well as a couple of others.  I recall spending a very long time trying to figure out the cause but ultimately all I had was that it was related to more than three money trees becoming harvestable at the same time (it was the sound of that happening that would cause a crash/sound loop and would force a reset of the pc). 

As I recall I only encountered one or two others on the bbs getting it, and I think I once came across a post here that seemed very much like my own experience.

Someone mentioned elsewhere here that they suspected EA had used a lot of old Uni code for BV, I've been thinking this myself to be honest with the Barista/Tour Guide problems seeming so similar, the way hotels operate is very similar to dorms, very old bugs resurfacing that had previously been fixed, and now this sound crashing that you are experience.  There are some things on the bbs that also seem familiar, I saw a mention of something that sounds very much like the old NPC/Slowdown bug (which I'm quite concerned about actually - this is a far worse scenario than the tour guide issue).
Simmer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 October 03, 06:44:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just curious, are the sound issues connected to Realtek, because I get a boatload of errors connected to that one.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2007 October 04, 03:04:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it wouldn't have been for me, back then I was using a soundblaster - I forget which one exactly though.  Possibly the 5.1 version
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: 2007 October 30, 01:21:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get sound related crashing when Uni came out, it happened right up until Nightlife at which point it stopped happening.  My guess is that there was a bug that someone at EA found and fixed *crickets chirping* no really, they actually fixed that one in an expansion Cheesy
Yup. With Uni, I had a consistent crash to desktop problem if I had too many money trees (where "too many" was ['url=http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,2808.msg80491.html#msg80491]more than five[/url]).

The money tree crash to desktop was fixed temporarily by downgrading my audio quality to Medium, and permanently when I installed NL Cheesy.

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
Alexx
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 October 30, 22:27:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seems that mainly audio errors may cause crash in
1.When two or more the same loops playing in the same time it may lead to very high output audio level and overload game audio engine.
As result it may provoke game crash.
2.Since game audio splitted to several(don't know how much exactly and don't want to know Smiley) audio streams,when number of  playing sounds > than number of audio streams it theoretically may cause game crash.
3.When on lot loading too many sounds activated(for ex.if you have lot saved with somebody playing pinball,somebody watching TV
etc. in the same time) it may provoke loopcycle effect(something like tatatatatata Grin) with some sounds after lot loading and may cause game crash.In this case need to reload this lot again and immediately enter in pause mode for a few seconds,it can help to stop
any possible loopcycle effects.
Sondcard may provoke crash too(in most cases loopcycle crash when audio buffer overflowed),but this is another story.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 31, 03:36:45 by Alexx » Logged
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2007 November 01, 10:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I need to go turn off a few things with complicated sounds and see if that helps.  Thanks Alexx!  I've got a similar set up to TrilinK.  I've had some crashes and some really laggy play especially at the 'hood screen since adding Seasons.  I've been weeding downloads anyway, but I'd assumed it was graphics related.  "Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups"  I've never thought about my sound set up at all!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: