More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 18:54:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Stop me from buying Seasons -- AGAIN
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stop me from buying Seasons -- AGAIN  (Read 14967 times)
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
Re: Stop me from buying Seasons -- AGAIN
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 01, 17:54:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I'm having trouble figuring out is why you wouldn't buy a DVD drive, given that you can now get a DVD drive for less than the cost of an EP.

EDIT: Ah, now I see. Still, it's pretty stupid that EA doesn't allow Amazon.com to ship internationally, given that I recently received this email from Amazon:
Quote from: Amazon.com
Dear Amazon.com Customer, 

Amazon now has the hottest new video games available for delivery to your country. International customers can enjoy Amazon's Pre Order Price. If the Amazon price drops between your order time and release date, you will receive the lowest price. 
« Last Edit: 2007 September 01, 18:12:18 by Venusy » Logged

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 01, 18:07:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I have now!  Can't honestly think why I didn't, but it was Pets I originally got the download for, which was a while back, and the CD drive was basically put in this PC by mistake - the guy who built this PC and rebuilt my old one put the DVD drive in the wrong one - and I haven't the know-how to change them over.  (Also I find it physically quite difficult now to do things like that.)

Seasons:  C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSBin folder\Sims2EP5.exe

Would this be the 18.5MB file that in my game is called Sims2EP5_DRM?  And presumably I then need to create a new shortcut on the desktop and delete the old one?
« Last Edit: 2007 September 01, 18:28:08 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 01, 19:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like it, I assume the DRM stands for digital rights management and the size is about right, the original DVD version is about 17.5Mb. I'm assuming that, like me, you downloaded something called Sims2EP5.exe so you can either:
  • Rename your sims2EP5_DRM.exe to Sims2EP5_DRMOriginal.exe then rename the no CD EXE to be called Sims2EP5_DRM.exe and use the existing shortcut.
OR
  • Copy the no CD exe across to the TSBin folder, create a new shortcut and run that. Leave the original exe/shortcut untouched.

I'd probably advise the latter as it simply involves a copy/paste and create a new shortcut.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 01, 19:53:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DRM is Digital Restrictions Management, not rights. It's about restriction your rights after all.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 01, 20:22:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that mean I'm actually breaking some law in order to access my own stuff which I paid for?  This sucks - just like the way the darned Link had the nerve to unload some file which was something to do with deleting the product key when they upgraded the link - which you can stop, but then you can't access your game because as soon as you try the loop starts again and the Link starts to upgrade!  It's the only program I have on my PC which gives me no real choice, and I think it sucks! 

And why, when I first installed Seasons, did I get an ordinary exe file, and then when I had to download it again did I get this one?  And why will they never answer your questions with a straight answer which actually addresses your problem and not a cut and paste job from standard answers which actually have absolutely zilch to do with your question?  EA seem to think they are above the law!  A UK firm would have to refund your money if they sold you a faulty product.

Anyhow, I've done it, and I shall finish tidying up my PC and then I'll try and load the game with the internet off and see what happens!
« Last Edit: 2007 September 01, 20:27:28 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 September 01, 23:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it loaded fine, although I'm still getting the lag which I shouldn't be getting, so I'm wondering now if I should uninstall the Link - when I clicked on the icon on the desktop it still tried to use the Link, but since there was no internet access, it loaded anyway.  (The Link is showing multiple errors in its log files! ) As soon as the game had loaded, I alt/tabbed and exited the Link, but no doubt during that time it was able to activate whatever file is causing the problems.  There is one called prefs.ead, which I am just a little suspicious of.....

Zephyr Zodiac
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 September 02, 06:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the issue legally is reverse engineering/hacking game files, which I'm not 100% sure is illegal but I'm willing to bet it is or that companies claim it is. And of course, if you download a cracked Exe without buying the game, it's piracy (ARR!), and I think certain programs are labeled illegal because their "intended use" is "illegal operations" so if you have them installed, it's like owning a black box to hack into a phone - you'll automatically be assumed to have either performed or to have the intent to perform illegal activities and be arrested.

INFP or something
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2007 September 02, 07:01:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't be silly.  A hacked exe is perfectly legitimate for use with legally purchased software.  EA games might hate you for it and they will ban you if you mention it on the BBS, but you cannot be prosecuted so long as you own a copy of the game.  Downloading the game itself is illegal, but downloading things to make the software you own less annoying is not illegal.

FlareStorm
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 September 02, 09:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I renamed my Seasons EXE to Sims2EP5Original.exe so I know exactly what it is.

Very important to do that, I've been burned so many times.  Often a patch or add-on won't install unless it finds the original exe (because that is being patched itself).

So before you install any updates/eps, get your cracked exe out of there, and rename the original back to its proper name.  Then put your cracked one back and hope it works. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with Sims, but its frustrating when updates fail and you can't figure out why.

A hacked exe is perfectly legitimate for use with legally purchased software.  EA games might hate you for it and they will ban you if you mention it on the BBS, but you cannot be prosecuted so long as you own a copy of the game.  Downloading the game itself is illegal, but downloading things to make the software you own less annoying is not illegal.

Totally true.  Read the disclaimers on GameCopyWorld or GameBurnWorld.  You own the game, you are fine. Otherwise those sites would have been shut down long ago.

And lol @ this situation. I like how getting an illegal, pirated, cracked copy is easier, faster, and works better than getting a legit one from EA.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 02, 09:47:11 by FlareStorm » Logged
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 September 02, 12:50:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we're all agreed on this one, that downloading a cracked exe in order to play one's game that one has already paid for is fine.  I just can't see why EA can't simply do with TS2 what most programs you download do, and provide you with the key that, after all, is part of what you paid for!  It can only be for underhand reasons like wanting to stick you with spyware (as JM says) and they know that as soon as you run an anti-spyware program their little program will be gone, so then they install it again next time you play the game.  And the other annoying thing is, if a new game of any sort comes out, then all the people busy downloading it mean that you can't even access the servers for the ten seconds needed to play your game!

Zephyr Zodiac
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 September 02, 18:40:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can pre-order with the Link, you know, and then you can download it as soon as you can actually get a turn.  (Can get a bit crowded on Release Day!)
Yes, I understand. That's why I was saying that EALink was preferable to me. It's up now, so I've preordered. Just took them forever to do so.  Roll Eyes

Presumably, if you can't get parcels delivered to your building, you can pick it up at a Post Office - I know my niece in NY often has to do that if she is out when the postman calls.  If you're so keen to get your sims going globe-trotting, it might be worth a little foot-slogging yourself!
The post office is not close to my apartment at all, and it's not convenient to transit. By the time I can get there from work, it's closed. Trust me, I've gone through all alternatives in my head.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 September 02, 18:46:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a lot to be said for the "good old days" as far as mail delivery was concerned!

Strange, though, that you mention that you can only now pre-order on the Link - I seem to remember seeing the option at least a week ago, probably more.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: