More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 23:24:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Poll: Stealth Stairs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of stealth stairs?  (Voting closed: 2007 August 14, 21:17:29)
I love them. - 11 (13.6%)
I can't stand them. - 35 (43.2%)
I'm indifferent--either way is fine. - 35 (43.2%)
Total Voters: 72

Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Poll: Stealth Stairs  (Read 19581 times)
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Poll: Stealth Stairs
« Reply #25 on: 2007 July 27, 13:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't make them myself, I use Targa's Ascension or Ladder stairs, but I don't mind them as long as I don't have to look at them (hide them in a closet or something, please!).

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 July 27, 15:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Plus, sometimes a ladder doesn't seem appropriate for a house, and the stealth stairs still seem to me like a small staircase. Either that or it's like, don't even try, and accepting that it won't be realistic, whereas the ladder is sort of a weird half-solution.
Ladders are great for basements and attics. Otherwise they look silly.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 July 27, 17:27:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you guys seen this...it looks pretty awesome. It's a remake of Targa's stairs, I think, with proper animations. I would use these because I like when it looks real. The new animation makes it drool worthy! http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=241795
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 July 27, 17:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are we talking really new new animation here?  Not just silly recycling of old animations?  If so, that's very interesting.
I can't wait to get home to my real computer.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 July 27, 18:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking at the picture, it looks like a completely new animation. The sims grab the side of the ladder while they climb and the animation is for all ages, except toddlers cause they can't go up the stairs.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2007 July 28, 04:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ladders are great for basements and attics. Otherwise they look silly.

Agreed, though they are PERFECT for zombie shacks, no matter what level they're placed on.

ETA: Marvine's ladder stairs look awesome. Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: 2007 July 28, 05:02:22 by notveryawesome » Logged

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 July 28, 05:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't stand stealth stairs but I also can't stand the normal stairs... I just use Targa's elevators. Cheaty, but I don't want to have to either wait forty minutes for my sims to walk up and down huge effing staircases that block my view OR do complicated buildy things in order for them to be able to get from level to level easily.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 July 28, 06:55:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 July 28, 07:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I fixed the Targan teleport pad to actually avoid that effect, too.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 July 28, 07:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So are you going to share?  Tongue

olsen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 July 28, 13:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never used strealt stairs, but have no problems with it stairs are partial broken anyway.

I love the new animated ladder, hope it don't make queues like the standard maxis stairs.
They are broken, if to sims are following each other the second is blocked get angry and decide to do something else.
I have found that elevators actually is easier to fit then stairs because you can place the exit there you want. Else I use the spiral stairs a lot, and the old ladder stars.
If someone could make shorter stairs, a three or even two tiles stairs would still look like stairs but take less room.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 July 28, 18:12:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate these fancy building shit techniques when I want a house to play in. If I go to remodel or add rooms or whatever, I get all these weird glitchy effects because, since someone HAD to have secret stealth stairs and split levels and a fancy roof, floor "2" is really floor 53-and-a-half but only for 3 tiles after which it becomes floor 7-and-three-quarters so you can't build a room there... blech.

INFP or something
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 July 29, 00:16:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate these fancy building shit techniques when I want a house to play in. If I go to remodel or add rooms or whatever, I get all these weird glitchy effects...

Yea, I hear ya -- I have a rather nice little house I downloaded somewhere for a couple that has a 'sun room' in the front.  Makes a nice dining room, at least until it started raining and the sim complained about weather in the house.  Whoever built the house made some kind of clear glass roof for the sun room that I could just not delete, or put a real roof over.  I ended up building a 2nd floor on the sun room and turning it into an atrium to solve the problem. But when those sims move out, the house gets bulldozed.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 July 29, 00:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm... most people making a roof like that would use glass floor tiles and the constrainfloorelevation false cheat. That could be difficult to delete, because it is hard to delete floor tiles that are sloped or at some sort of angle. However, floor tiles should keep out weather.

Did this lot use CC? Did the glass roof look like a curved half circle, with white ribbing? In that case, I think what you have is a custom fence that is shaped to look like a curved glass roof. I don't remember the site, but someone listed it in the Best of the Best CC thread... maybe I can find it for you later. So, if that's the case, I think you can use the wall or fence tool to delete it, if you delete along the inner edge of the "roof."

Eaglezero, would you like stealth stairs if they just came with a downloaded house, and you didn't have to make them yourself?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007 July 29, 02:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have that fence. Love it, but yeah, it's not waterproof, and anyone designing a house who has Seasons should know better. I believe the original fence file is from 4ESF. I use it to make half-moon sculptural thingies in some of my mini parks.

Just tried Targa's ascention pads as I have a bit of an odd 'hood I'm playing at the moment (short attention span attacks). Quite nice, but I couldn't imagine using them in anything but a mod or cyber 'hood. Mine, Crater City, is kind of mod with human townies and "alien" playables using Enayla's fantasy skins.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2007 July 29, 02:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I only use the Ascension teleporter things in my sci-fi hood, but within that hood I use them A LOT, because they're such great space-savers. In my normal hoods, I try to use the modular stairs as much as possible, but sometimes they don't work with the architecture (you only need three empty floor-tiles above the non-modular stairs, instead of the four required by the modulars).

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
baaaflatfit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007 July 29, 03:47:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would definitely love to have some little houses with the stealth stairs nicely hidden behind a wall or whatever.   Smiley  I've never tried building them myself.

Max
prattle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007 July 29, 04:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate these fancy building shit techniques when I want a house to play in. If I go to remodel or add rooms or whatever, I get all these weird glitchy effects because, since someone HAD to have secret stealth stairs and split levels and a fancy roof, floor "2" is really floor 53-and-a-half but only for 3 tiles after which it becomes floor 7-and-three-quarters so you can't build a room there... blech.
Yeah, I've had quite a few downloaded houses that I needed to expand/fix for Seasons/replace missing custom content/etc, but the builder had heavily used techniques (constrainFloorElevation being a prime offender) that made editing the lot, short of bulldozing the house entirely, very difficult. This puts me in the conundrum of downloading houses because I suck at building, but not being able to use downloaded houses because I suck at building.  Tongue
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2007 July 29, 14:56:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm... most people making a roof like that would use glass floor tiles and the constrainfloorelevation false cheat. That could be difficult to delete, because it is hard to delete floor tiles that are sloped or at some sort of angle. However, floor tiles should keep out weather.

Did this lot use CC? Did the glass roof look like a curved half circle, with white ribbing? In that case, I think what you have is a custom fence that is shaped to look like a curved glass roof. I don't remember the site, but someone listed it in the Best of the Best CC thread... maybe I can find it for you later. So, if that's the case, I think you can use the wall or fence tool to delete it, if you delete along the inner edge of the "roof."

No, they were flat, just angled into a 'tent' shape, with the low yard edging around and above it. The fence tool deleted the edging, but nothing got rid of the 'roof' tiles. It's a pre-Seasons house, so I can't entirely blame the builder.

Not a big deal -- I've already deleted the empty lot from my catalog, and this house will be history in the game.  I've only got one occupied in Strangetown, which is my test hood anyway.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2007 July 29, 19:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, they were flat, just angled into a 'tent' shape, with the low yard edging around and above it. The fence tool deleted the edging, but nothing got rid of the 'roof' tiles. It's a pre-Seasons house, so I can't entirely blame the builder.

Not a big deal -- I've already deleted the empty lot from my catalog, and this house will be history in the game.  I've only got one occupied in Strangetown, which is my test hood anyway.

For future reference, one way to delete sloped floor tiles like that would be to use boolprop constrainfloorelevation false, then use the floor tool (any floor will do) to flatten the surface. It's a little tricky because you can't see what you are doing, but the new floor tiles will flatten the area when the flatten terrain tool won't work (it only works if you start from an already leveled tile). Even if you can't flatten the entire area, once you get a few of the sloped tiles level, you can use control-shift to select all identical floor tiles, and then delete them with one click.
« Last Edit: 2007 August 01, 20:31:42 by Ellatrue » Logged

CandyToast
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP/INTJ Half C-3P0, Half evil genius

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2007 August 02, 01:33:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually don't mind stealth stairs, I just have no idea how to make them. That is to say I know they're made using a build cheat but I have no idea how to go through the process. If anyone is willing to PM me instructions / send me a link it would be appreciated  Smiley.

"The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions"
Fold Spindle Mutilate!
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2007 August 03, 21:49:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you guys seen this...it looks pretty awesome. It's a remake of Targa's stairs, I think, with proper animations. I would use these because I like when it looks real. The new animation makes it drool worthy! http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=241795

Unfortunately, these ladders aren't sim/fool-proof. I had two sims who managed to get completely stuck by trying to use the ladders simultaneously. One was up, the other downstairs. Both were complaining that the object was already in use, and both kept waiting until the other had finished using it ><.
I have now reverted back to Targa's, no spiffy animations but no traffic jams either.

ETA; causes a problem with ACR too. Couple decided to have some woohoo, female reaches ladder first, male throws hissyfit about object in use, drops auto woohoo from cue. -_-'
« Last Edit: 2007 August 04, 10:12:39 by Eleonora » Logged

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2007 August 03, 22:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good info Eleonora, I've been back several times to try to download the new animations ladders but not have been very successful lately at MTS2. JM has fixed ladders he could share....

olsen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2007 August 04, 13:57:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, these ladders aren't sim/fool-proof. I had two sims who managed to get completely stuck by trying to use the ladders simultaneously. One was up, the other downstairs. Both were complaining that the object was already in use, and both kept waiting until the other had finished using it ><.
I have now reverted back to Targa's, no spiffy animations but no traffic jams either.

ETA; causes a problem with ACR too. Couple decided to have some woohoo, female reaches ladder first, male throws hissyfit about object in use, drops auto woohoo from cue. -_-'
Yes, just as the standard stairs, except they allow sims to meet in the stair but don't follow, as stupid as it sound, you might not be able to meet someone in a narrow staircase in real life but it no problem for lots of people to go up in a queue.
This is a typical AI routing problem; you can see it in many games, I have used it as an exploit in RTS games, get a enemy unit to stop and block the way and the rest might try another entry while you are shooting at them.
The problem with sims is that they have zero patience and no common sense. If the access is blocked by other sims they should wait longer, they move out of way for each other but might be busy so it can take some time before they move. Also if the access is blocked by trash or leftover, clean up. This AI change would help for stairs to, I don't think the modular stars have this problem, at least it much less, probably because each module are treated independent.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2007 August 04, 14:36:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same thing can happen with Targa's stairs, but since using those is a lot quicker the chance of two sims trying to use them at exactly the same time is very small.
I usually always put two staircases next to each other, no matter what stairs I'm using.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: