More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:48:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Building Contest of Awesomeness (Moderator: Ambular)
| | | |-+  Twooflower's Sucky Entry '07
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Twooflower's Sucky Entry '07  (Read 30653 times)
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
Twooflower's Sucky Entry '07
« on: 2007 July 01, 03:30:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LEVEL 3x3 lot  Grin
$138,455
Requires all EP's through Seasons + Family Fun

I tried to follow AwesomeSpec v5 when building this.  Only a copy of this was playtested, so reward & craft items were placed through various collections.  Lot cleaned with Clean Installer to remove all non-Maxis content.

Features:

-4 spacious bedrooms -- girls' and boys' rooms have plenty of room for additional beds
-4th bedroom could be used for another purpose, such as a game room or music room
-3.5 baths (1/2 bath for guests right off the Vomitorium) -- all baths have BUY
-Perimeter fence secures lot from hole-digging critters and wandering guests
-Reasonable amount of trees/shrubs.  Most trees provide leaves for compost, but could be replaced if less raking is desired
-Compost bins located in front and back yards
-Greenhouse accessible from indoors only
-Trash can inside perimeter fence to prevent kickers
-Mail table directly inside perimeter fence
-Theft-proof gnome-kicking area (or replace gnomes with The Cheat or flamingos if desired)
-Exterior burgular alarm on outside of garage (behind ivy trellis)
-Guest-friendly fishing area with secure enclosure (or you can lock guests out if you choose)
-Guest areas secured with actual doors
-High traffic areas provided with double doors
-Secure kitchen protects your food from fridge ninjas, smoke alarm also included
-Kitchen includes muffin stove for neglected children
-Dining area includes seating for 6, Caffeination Station, dishwasher & trash compactor
-Nursery includes skilling toys plus 2 separate crib cubicles for screaming infants/toddlers
-Garage has attached workout room which could later be turned into a home business/break room, or you could take the windows out of the workout room for a vampire's lair right off the garage
-3rd floor attic with stealth stairs to store boring stuff or to use as a mausoleum
-Double modular staircase to ease stair traffic
-2 small storage areas (under and next to staircase) to store Awesome Stuff like the Lot Debugger
-Sun room could be made into a covered hot tub area, observatory (probetarium), or an additional greenhouse
-Pet areas for both a cat and a dog -- dog area features a water wiggler so the dog can wash itself
-If desired, dog area could be removed or relocated to make room for a small outdoor pool

Additional Images (click to see a larger image):

Bribes:

For El Presidente -- Hand-knitted Real-Life Stuff to Kick (sadly, flamingo didn't get finished)  + 2 hand-knitted 100% cotton dishcloths like the one pictured (may request color preference) + submission of my simself for humilation and torture and/or mutilation

For Rohina -- 2 hand-knitted dishcloths like the one pictured (may request color preference)

edited to remove extra copy of my lot  Huh

* Twoflower 07.zip (1483.48 KB - downloaded 537 times.)
« Last Edit: 2007 July 01, 03:36:22 by twooflower » Logged

Ambular
Cheese Nazi

View Profile WWW
Re: Twooflower's Sucky Entry '07
« Reply #1 on: 2007 July 01, 03:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooooh, very pretty house and such cute bribes!  XD

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 July 01, 03:37:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooooh, very pretty house and such cute bribes!  XD

Thank you, Amber.  Kiss

ElfPuddle
Stupid-to-English Translator
Uncouth Undesirable

"Darn! That's the end!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 July 01, 03:52:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the house!
(the knitted gnome is impressive, too!) Grin

I haven't died. I moved to the American South. Rumors to the contrary are highly exaggerated.

Member 960. Admitted to the MATY Senate by a 10-0 vote: 2006 August 10. Expelled by a 15-12 vote: 2008 May 30.
Should that mean anything?
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 July 01, 06:34:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gorgeous house, and I love the knitted gnome! Cheesy

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 July 01, 06:38:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very nice! I love this contest- pretty houses to download that are actually playable and won't lag like hell, either.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 July 01, 08:42:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want the pattern for the gnome, not some lame dishcloth.

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 July 01, 09:29:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

knitted Cheat FTW!

*is ded from cuteness*

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 July 01, 10:18:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Twooflower I really like your entry. I'm trying to recreate it as I don't have Family Fun but I'm having problems with the stairs - how did you do the stairs so you can have space underneath and at the side?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 July 01, 10:19:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet you're just a joy to be around at Xmas.  Kiss

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 July 01, 10:59:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My guess is the constrainfloorelevation cheat. The first landing is actually a 2x2 room lowered to be four 'clicks' high. If you look closely in the screenshots you can see the walls slope very steeply towards the landing, from 16 to 4 clicks. That's probably also why twooflower used that particular wallpaper, the vertical lines cover up the sloping walls very nicely. Horizontal lines would only emphasize it. I often use the same technique when connecting a garage to an house with a basement.

Disclaimer: my google spellchecker does not work at the moment so text above may not be mistake-free.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 July 01, 11:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll bet you're just a joy to be around at Xmas.  Kiss

Why? I am offering to make my own gnome. Which, for a present, is really quite a lot of work.

twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2007 July 01, 11:46:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll take it you're a knitter, then.  Wink  My apologies for the lame dishcloth offer.  I've never written a pattern before (gnome is my own design), but I'll do my best to write it up for you.

Twooflower I really like your entry. I'm trying to recreate it as I don't have Family Fun but I'm having problems with the stairs - how did you do the stairs so you can have space underneath and at the side?

Vilia, Eleonora is correct, except that the 2x2 room is 8 'clicks' high.  I hope that helps.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 July 01, 11:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "platform" (indoor stage) can also be used to do a split stairwell, without the wall distortion effect or need for building tricks. One possible issue is that it is only 4 steps high, not 8, and has no freely usable space below it.
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 July 01, 12:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "platform" (indoor stage) can also be used to do a split stairwell, without the wall distortion effect or need for building tricks. One possible issue is that it is only 4 steps high, not 8, and has no freely usable space below it.

You're right, Jordi.  With some rearranging of stuff, the stage could be used to do a split staircase for anyone who wanted to build a similar house without building cheats.  That would also open up many other wallpaper choices for that wall. Wink

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 July 02, 00:20:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the help  Grin I've just finished and she runs sweet.
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 July 02, 04:32:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the help  Grin I've just finished and she runs sweet.

Cool, I'm glad to hear it works for you. Smiley

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 July 02, 06:24:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, twooflower, your house is gorgeous (not sucky at all). Very nice! Oh, and the knitted gnome and cheat are adorable.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 July 02, 12:39:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

0.5 for aesthetics. We were not fans of the patchwork thing.

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revoluçăo!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 July 02, 12:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is one of the best designs in the contest, although the exterior needs a more unified architectural theme (I realize that mixing styles has been a trend in architecture over the past couple decades, but that doesn't mean the results don't look bad).

Unlike a lot of the designs here, you could take this one to an architect and end up with an actual house that was both buildable and livable. However, for gameplay purposes many of the rooms are way too big, especially the bedrooms. If you've ever played the Capp house, you know what a drag it is to have to schedule every sim activity well in advance to allow for the trek from one part of the lot to another. Heh—I had a homeless CAS family in Veronaville (they didn't have enough money to finish construction of their own house) so I moved them in with the Capps, and used the Capp fortune to add a third floor to the mansion. That made for some interesting game play, especially when it was time for work or school.   Tongue

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 July 02, 19:41:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well crap, Rohinas can't even be bribed with gnomes to tolerate patchwork.   Wink

This is one of the best designs in the contest, although the exterior needs a more unified architectural theme (I realize that mixing styles has been a trend in architecture over the past couple decades, but that doesn't mean the results don't look bad).

Unlike a lot of the designs here, you could take this one to an architect and end up with an actual house that was both buildable and livable. However, for gameplay purposes many of the rooms are way too big, especially the bedrooms. If you've ever played the Capp house, you know what a drag it is to have to schedule every sim activity well in advance to allow for the trek from one part of the lot to another. Heh—I had a homeless CAS family in Veronaville (they didn't have enough money to finish construction of their own house) so I moved them in with the Capps, and used the Capp fortune to add a third floor to the mansion. That made for some interesting game play, especially when it was time for work or school.   Tongue

Oh well, I'm sure you're right about the commute time to school and work from the upstairs.  I'll try to scale down next time.  It's hard for me to maintain a balance between having enough room and too much.  I always err on the side of building too big.  Next year I'm going to have to build on a 2x2 lot.

Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 July 02, 22:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well crap, Rohinas can't even be bribed with gnomes to tolerate patchwork.   Wink

If you had ponied up with the PATTERN, you might have got a better score.

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 July 03, 06:02:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I turned the girls room into a games room complete with pool table & card table. The spare room became the music room and I put an extra bed in the boys room. I confess I did stick with one external pattern/colour though. It works well although I must confess I tend to put my sims through a routine of bathroom & breakfast prior to leaving the house, so they are not actually upstairs just prior to going to work.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 July 05, 23:30:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bribe: 0.05
Functionality: 0.8
Scenarios: 0.8
Cost Effectiveness: 1.7
Expand 1.4
Physics: 0.85
Aesthetics: 0.5

Technical: 0.908
Total: 0.565

Correct Behaviors
Level Edges - Will Not Damage Neighborhood
Kitchen Firebreak & Visitor Raid Defense Good
Expansion Room Adequate
Anti-Wolf Fencing
Nursery Adequately Provisioned and Placed

Correctable Issues
DO NOT MOVE MAILBOX AWAY FROM ROAD KTHX
Use of "Stealth Stairs" unnecessary negatively affects physics, but only leads to superfluous attic area

Fundamental Flaws
Visitors cannot be adequately confined to viewing deck without complete restructuring of stairwell
« Last Edit: 2007 July 06, 00:07:02 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
twooflower
Exasperating Eyesore

INTJ and/or P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2007 July 05, 23:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fundamental Flaws
Visitors cannot be adequately confined to viewing deck without complete restructuring of stairwell

I thought I had planned well enough for visitor control, but apparently I missed something.  Would you mind explaining it for the non-awesome?  I would like to understand so I can improve my future houses.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: