More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 08:32:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Creating a Custom Name List
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Creating a Custom Name List  (Read 33791 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Creating a Custom Name List
« Reply #50 on: 2007 June 19, 17:38:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My real last name is Minger. Brits, feel free to point and laugh.

Not giving away much; I'm ridiculously easy to stalk.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2007 June 19, 22:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My real last name is Minger. Brits, feel free to point and laugh.

* mildlydisguised points and laughs Wink

Are you British too?  If so, you must have gone through hell at school.

Also this post has inspired me to edit my live.package too, thanks Khan, those are great names.  I have been trying to find websites with only unusual fore and surnames but nothing has leapt out at me yet.  I am getting tired of searching endlessly through census records full of tediously common names.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 2007 June 19, 23:04:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL poor Zaza Cheesy

It depends how old Zaza is. 'Minger' has only really been about for the last 5 years or so, made famous by Jade Goody in the Big Brother house, when she had a verucca on her foot. Yes, I know. I'm sad. Tongue

Lana B
Dimwitted Dunce

This post not officially sanctioned

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2007 June 19, 23:13:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I met an English person with the name Merkin.
There are some interesting names listed here.

"Curse that alpha turkey, rohina! She will get her comeuppance next Grammar Day-- I will make sure of it!"
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2007 June 19, 23:15:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL poor Zaza Cheesy

It depends how old Zaza is. 'Minger' has only really been about for the last 5 years or so, made famous by Jade Goody in the Big Brother house, when she had a verucca on her foot. Yes, I know. I'm sad. Tongue

This is true, I forgot how recently it entered the British consciousness.

And now I can't get rid of the image of Jade doing the drunken strip and showing us her 'kebab belly' among other things *shudders*
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2007 June 19, 23:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Tigerlilley snorts because she is immature

Greatrakes 
Rosenkreutz
Lovecraft
Ravenscroft
Moorcock

Heh heh morecock

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revoluçăo!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2007 June 20, 00:35:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Trollope, Lovecraft, and some of the others (I'm not going to use Google!) . . . if you're going to use literary names, there are plenty of good ones. For some reason your list brought immediately to mind Strindberg and Swinburne; also Knut Hamsen, William Gass, Pynchon, Böll, and Grass; Cortázar, Calvino, and Eco; Beattie, Berryman, Borges, Bagehot, Bolingbroke, Bibesco, Bax, Bunyon. And so on.   Grin

Hotchkiss had something to do with cannons.  Tongue

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2007 June 20, 01:02:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL poor Zaza Cheesy

This is true, I forgot how recently it entered the British consciousness.

And now I can't get rid of the image of Jade doing the drunken strip and showing us her 'kebab belly' among other things *shudders*
I'm American (German/British/Scottish/Irish/Cherokee), and the last name is German. But, my best friend's fiance spent several years in Britain. So that's how I first heard of it. Then I started seeing it online. And of course, I'm a Fat Boy Slim fan and it's in "It's a Wonderful Night" ("whether your girl looks like a minger or a supermodel"). And, while I've heard some others pronounce it ming - err, it's definitely pronouced ming- grr.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2007 June 20, 01:11:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am getting tired of searching endlessly through census records full of tediously common names.

The US 1990 census has been arranged in order of name frequency so, although it's still full of tons of common names, all you hafta do to get to the rare ones is scroll down to the bottom. Those are the rarest ones:

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/freqnames.html

It's divided into last names, male first, and female first names.

And now for something completely different.

The Land of Cockayne (or Cockaigne) is a mythological land of plenty - something like the land of milk and honey. There's a famous painting by Bruegel on this theme and a poem. I've read some good scholarly articles that believe there's an etymological (and behavioral) reference/connection to cocaine there. Something like the wicked witch's poppy fields in Oz, the witch's candy house in Hanzel and Gretel (nibble, nibble), Pinocchio's paradise or the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Wikipedia article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockaigne

Unsouper
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2007 June 20, 05:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are some interesting names listed here.

Cholmondeley= 'chumly'   That one's a keeper!

. . . if you're going to use literary names, there are plenty of good ones.

Literary names are definitely fair game, like Moorcock, though often they are more ordinary than I care to use for sims.  If they are famous or renowned enough, and I like their work in general, they probably get a street named after them.

I snatched this one from the media over the past year, there was a former NHL player named Harley Hotchkiss who died recently.  The Hotchkiss you are thinking of was involved with machine guns, maybe?  There is of course the Hotchkiss military jeep:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Jeep_Man/hotchkis.htm

That name is one of my favorites, it just has it all.

Thanks for that link.  It could take lots of time to search through it, though, even starting from the bottom.

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2007 June 20, 09:24:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The US 1990 census has been arranged in order of name frequency so, although it's still full of tons of common names, all you hafta do to get to the rare ones is scroll down to the bottom. Those are the rarest ones:

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/www/freqnames.html

It's divided into last names, male first, and female first names.

Thanks Smiley  That has helped my search no end.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 2007 June 20, 09:58:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Khan, I've got one for you. There's a local DJ who goes by the name of Craven Morehead (could be Moorehead -- I've never seen it written). I doubt if it's his real name, but I thought it was funny/clever in a juvenile sort of way. It sounds like a name that Bart Simpson would use in one of his crank calls.

Edited to remove redundancy.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007 June 20, 10:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Gwill ponders changing her name to "Bork"

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007 June 20, 10:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always thought it would have been nice to be "Richard Head", but my last name wasn't cooperative. That name is so me, though.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
mildlydisguised
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007 June 20, 11:01:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always thought it would have been nice to be "Richard Head", but my last name wasn't cooperative. That name is so me, though.

So your first name is Richard, then Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007 June 20, 11:27:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There was a racehorse in NZ named Richard Cranium.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007 June 20, 12:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So your first name is Richard, then Wink
No, it isn't. It wasn't very funny with my name, so I didn't go for that option.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007 June 20, 13:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always thought it would have been nice to be "Richard Head"...

That reminds me of a RL family story -- my female cousin is a nurse, and she swears like a longshoreman.  After spending a week visiting, her 6 year old granddaughter went home, and one day was wondering why her mom kept calling my cousin's husband Don -- the grandkid kept insisting his name was Richard.  When asked why, she said "Because grandma always calls him Dick!"

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revoluçăo!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2007 June 20, 14:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I snatched this one from the media over the past year, there was a former NHL player named Harley Hotchkiss who died recently.  The Hotchkiss you are thinking of was involved with machine guns, maybe?  There is of course the Hotchkiss military jeep

It would appear the term "Hotchkiss gun" was used most often for a 47mm light "mountain" cannon manufactured by the French arms and automobile company Société Anonyme des Anciens Etablissements Hotchkiss et Cie, founded in 1867 by an engineer from Connecticut. Some of these were bought by the U.S. Army and used in the invasions of Cuba and the Philippines in the 1890s, and against the Sioux at Wounded Knee in South Dakota. Another well-known Hotchkiss gun was a 37mm revolving cannon that could fire 43 shells per minute; this was used against the Ute people in 1879.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2007 June 20, 16:36:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My highschool choir teacher was named Richard Peter Dick. We called him Triple Dick.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2007 June 20, 17:30:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Part of my family has the last name Pecker.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2007 June 20, 18:51:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

back when I was a kid, I had a teacher whos last name was Ball, her husbands first name was Harry  Cheesy
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2007 June 20, 20:34:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hardon was a pretty common first name in Norway up to about a hundred years ago.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 2007 June 20, 20:47:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My highschool choir teacher was named Richard Peter Dick. We called him Triple Dick.

That is a terrible, terrible thing for a parent to do to a child. *laughs her ass off*

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Faizah
Lipless Loser

INFP/INTJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 2007 June 21, 00:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of teachers, for woodwork I had Mr. Carpenter and my brother had Mr. Pine. The school only had two woodworks teachers.

However, earlier, I'd gone to school with a guy whose surname was Kerr. Not a bad name by itself, there are Kerrs in my family tree.

But his first name was Wayne.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: