More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 17:44:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  The Armory
| | |-+  Wants & Fears Sanity "Death To All Nesses" Public Beta Edition
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Wants & Fears Sanity "Death To All Nesses" Public Beta Edition  (Read 226782 times)
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Wants & Fears Sanity "Death To All Nesses" Public Beta Edition
« Reply #100 on: 2007 September 25, 14:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The car want actually didn't bother me so much. Gramma Lilly wanted one, too, and she'd just missed work (on the day she was going to get her final promotion and go permaplat, no less; stupid whore keeps having routing issues that no one else in the family/'hood does) so I needed to rent one. It's wanting to invite me, who she'd never met, over.

My theory was that it might be something with wfsanity and BV not playing nice, hence the post.

EDIT: Um. Ok. Something is definitely fishy. Iyana's cousin, Delilah, is also a toddler and lives next door. She currently wants to invite Beatrice over. Beatrice is a cat. Who she hasn't met. And she's too young to reach the phone. This deserves an error log.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 26, 10:22:49 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2007 September 26, 10:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stupid F, do not force error logs, they are useless.

Your problem is a corrupted SWAF and has nothing to do with this hack. To repair the damaged corrupted SWAF, you can try simply deleting it in SimPE, this should force the game to regenerate a new one. That, or complete your already-ongoing BFBVFS. One or the other.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2007 September 26, 14:20:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay! Something new and exciting. Any idea of where to start? Definitely don't want a BFBVFS, this 'hood is new as of BV, and I already had to Deleted 2 sixty characters.

EDIT: From what my searching is telling me, it's fine to just delete all. Everyone loses their memories, but whatever. I don't care about memories. I'll back up beforehand in case I kablooey it. And then see if it recurs. Since the day I started playing Sims 2 (release day) I've never ever seen anything of the like.

EDIT the Second: SimPE shows the "Invite Beatrice Over" memory as "Be Tickled by $Neighbor". Now that I think of it, I haven't seen a toddler with the general want to be tickled since BV. Unfortunately, Iyana has grown up and her wants have cycled.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 27, 00:12:42 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2007 September 26, 16:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's corrupted SWAFs, then BV is corrupting them, since they were fine (at least in my game) before I installed BV.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2007 September 27, 09:16:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

EDIT: From what my searching is telling me, it's fine to just delete all. Everyone loses their memories, but whatever. I don't care about memories. I'll back up beforehand in case I kablooey it. And then see if it recurs. Since the day I started playing Sims 2 (release day) I've never ever seen anything of the like.
Deleting SWAFs should not have any effect on memories. That would only happen if you deleted the inventory table, which you should not do.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2007 September 27, 13:56:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Had more weird wants last night -- a servo that went to a comm lot had the want to buy jewelry, which servos apparently can't do (no action available on the jewelry counter).  And then when she got home, she wanted to soak in the hot tub. 

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2007 September 27, 14:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleting SWAFs should not have any effect on memories. That would only happen if you deleted the inventory table, which you should not do.
Yeah, that didn't make much sense to me when I read it in the thread I was using as reference. No kablooey, the existing toddler just had no wants until she transitioned, and there were random wants/fears missing for the playables until I fulfilled one and they rerolled. Oddly, forcing a reroll on the debugger just rolled the existing wants, didn't fill in the blanks. Whatever.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: 2007 October 08, 10:33:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use this with Jeff's No Pet Obsession, and absolutely no-one wants to buy dogs or cats anymore. I am wondering if you could incorporate 'buy pet' wants into this hack for ...erm...I dunno, maybe only Popularity, Family and maybe Knowledge sims with a >4 interest in animals or something? Not even my sim-kiddies want to get puppies or kittens anymore. I don't want every sim to want one which is what happens without TJ's hack in, but I want at least a small proportion of simmies to want a pet. TJ's hack seems to completely squash any 'buy dog/cat' related wants.

They all want the stupid womrat and bird btw. I don't mind them so much though.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2007 October 08, 10:47:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use this with Jeff's No Pet Obsession, and absolutely no-one wants to buy dogs or cats anymore. I am wondering if you could incorporate 'buy pet' wants into this hack for ...erm...I dunno, maybe only Popularity, Family and maybe Knowledge sims with a >4 interest in animals or something? Not even my sim-kiddies want to get puppies or kittens anymore. I don't want every sim to want one which is what happens without TJ's hack in, but I want at least a small proportion of simmies to want a pet. TJ's hack seems to completely squash any 'buy dog/cat' related wants.
wfsanity already include an interest-related check for the want to purchase a pet, which would conflict with the Jeffistani version. As we do not support the use of the non-Awesome, once again, I place the blame squarely on tight pants.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: 2007 October 08, 11:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. So if I take out Jeff's hack, will the W&F's balance out? I mean every sim wants a pet. I don't think every aspiration type and personality should want one.  I know I could just not let them get a pet, but I play my game solely based on the sims wants.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2007 October 08, 12:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way to kill those Invite $Subject Over where the sim is on vacation and the $Subject lives in the normal part of the hood?

JCSpencer
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2007 October 12, 07:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As long as we're posting a "wish list" of sorts, I would love to see some OFB-related wants done away with (or fixed, or whatever the hell it is you do around here). Specifically, I'd love to see buried the wants to hire every frickin' person my Sim is friendly with. Six frickin' slots, all of them constantly clogged with "hire so-and-so" wants. And with the few times that this repetitive nonsense is broken, it's for equally-retarded wants to sell something to someone that isn't even on the property, or better yet, when the shop is closed and my Sim is back at home. For days on end my wants are cluttered with this stuff and it's getting really damn annoying.

I also don't know if anything can be done about this, but what's with the fixation Sims seem to have with couches/love seats/living chairs? How many frickin' seating choices do you need, for God's sake? It just so happens the house I made is based off of my late grandfather's, and he had a couch and two living chairs in the living room; a couch, love seat and living chair in the family room; living chairs upstairs; and a love seat in the basement. But I also added love seats on the patio, back deck and in the garage. So that's two couches, five love seats, and six living chairs, but they are still demanding §600 living chairs and §900 love seats/couches... and every damn seat in the house is worth more than §1000 apiece. Oh and the fixation with §500 counters gets a little annoying too.

However, I don't want to seem ungrateful for the W/F you've killed thus far, and although I wouldn't dare thank you, if I understand correctly, a goat sacrifice is the correct response.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2007 October 12, 10:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's with the fixation Sims seem to have with couches/love seats/living chairs? How many frickin' seating choices do you need, for God's sake? It just so happens the house I made is based off of my late grandfather's, and he had a couch and two living chairs in the living room; a couch, love seat and living chair in the family room; living chairs upstairs; and a love seat in the basement. But I also added love seats on the patio, back deck and in the garage. So that's two couches, five love seats, and six living chairs, but they are still demanding §600 living chairs and §900 love seats/couches... and every damn seat in the house is worth more than §1000 apiece. Oh and the fixation with §500 counters gets a little annoying too.

The problem, I think, is that you keep *fulfilling* their wants for chairs/couches/etc, which only makes them roll up more wants for similar items.  Stop giving them every single object they roll up a want for, and eventually they will start rolling wants for other things.

Karen
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2007 October 12, 10:26:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Buy wants are long, complicated, instantaneously satisfiable, and free, so I consider the harmless except when they materialize in cases which are unsatisfiable, like when the non-controllable sim rolls them on a date (buying the item has no effect). This may or may not have been squished already.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2007 October 12, 13:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And really, you can just buy the item and stuff it in the sim's inventory, to be sold at a later date when they need the money back. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JCSpencer
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2007 October 12, 15:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, yeah. That's true. I guess I was just in a wee bit of a snit last night. Sims have pissed me off again, and I realized I never really checked this site out, so I spent, oh, about 8 hours last night. LOL. I usually go to bed at around midnight, but I was up until after 5 am reading. Now I'm pouring down the coffee. You guys are absolutely hilarious. I know not to thank JM, but that don't stop me from loving him. If I was even a micro-fraction as awesome as JM, I would try to recode the entire want system since it's mostly fubar. But since I'm a pathetic little pissant, I can only bitch about it.

Anyhoo, what about the OFB problems I mentioned? Those seem in keeping with the other problematic posts. Asking for things that can't be fulfilled, that is. Well other than the employee-hiring thing... honestly I wish we could get rid of all wants related to "I just made friends with this person so I want to: hire them, play with them, talk to them, be best friends with him, admire them, flirt with them (even though I'm married and not a Romance Sim, grr), yada, yada." Using wants as a guide, making a new friend is apparently the greatest thing that could ever happen to a Sim, and when I have to make four new friends for my job, I sell the phone after I'm done and wait until 14 forget about me. Once I went for the Popularity's 30 Best Friends At Once... I will never, EVER do that again. Oh my God. I should sue EA for my therapy bills.

Although I know that it's not necessarily true that a Sim will keep asking for something if you bought one previously; they keep asking for trees, recliners, bowling alleys and DJ booths, but I won't buy 'em. Seriously, how many houses are really so opulent as to have a bowling alley? Yet every Sim and his mother wants one, even if they live in a damn trailer. It should've been a mostly community lot thing in my opinion. Why can't Sims ask for little upgrades at a time, or more freakin' variety? They wanna go right from the §99 radio to the §2700 DJ booth. They jump right to asking for the bowling alley now that it's available, to hell with the other stuff. They never even ask for the billiard table since NL overrode the University wants with the damn alley. And they could care less about the remote control cars and the new arcade games from University; all they want are the pinball machines. If you buy them the alley and the pinball game, they still don't ask for the cheaper stuff. All they ever ask for is one expensive double bed, to hell with everyone else in the family. I could make everyone sleep on couches, and they don't care as long as they have that one expensive double bed.

My Sims ask for portable electronics, but when I send them to the store to buy them, they reroll completely different wants. I get home and eventually they want the portable electronics again. WTF? It takes me three days of locking one of the wants at a time when they show up, driving downtown to buy that item, then waiting for the next one... and in the end they annoy the hell out of me with their mp3 players and handheld games and I end up taking them away. I wish I could force them to cry, but they just ask for more.

Okay, I'll stop whining now. Anyway, glad to be a member here. I don't think I've enjoyed myself this much on a message board since, well, ever really. Granted, I don't have a life, so that probably enhances the experience.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2007 October 12, 17:41:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, lock the want for the portable electronics before they drive (or since BV, walk) to the store. Smiley  Or cut out the trip completely, and just get Monique's super-computers from MTS2, which have options to buy everything 'online' -- makes it very easy to fill electronics and clothing wants right away.

I do think that this hack cuts down on the 'hire blah-blah' wants.  I've been seeing a lot less of them since JMP came out with this.  Now it's pretty much the Popularity sims who own businesses who roll those wants.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2007 October 12, 18:17:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm only getting the hire wants for best friends with this hack, it seems, and at the most I'll get two slots of them. Yeah, Logan Young perpetually wants to hire "me" but he forgets about it when he goes home. And on the residential ticket-biz public beach, the step-grampa is always wanting to hire his step-grandson (a business owner himself).

The only thing I'd really like added to this is something to tone down more of the non-date wants during dates. I keep having issues with my Knowledge sims especially wanting to see ghosts, wolves, get skill points...and do nothing with the person they are dating after a couple of interactions.

And yay for JCSpencer's power-lurking. You want the phone hack. Trust me.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2007 October 12, 18:35:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After doing a little of search,  "no lame hires" should help lowering the wants to hire everything that moves a bit.

FEATURES:
Non-townie sims with jobs >= L6 or who are already working in a user business
are no longer considered eligible hires and will not clog the hiring pool, nor
be available with the "hire" option unless they quit. Sims will never want to
hire anyone who already has a job
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2007 October 12, 19:41:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, I forgot all about that one -- good call, MD!

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JCSpencer
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2007 October 12, 20:27:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And yay for JCSpencer's power-lurking. You want the phone hack. Trust me.

LOL. I already grabbed that one. Sounds awesome. It's hard to choose because there are so many good ones, and although I don't need some of them, the only reason I don't choose more is because sometimes I only want 1 part of the mod, but don't want the rest of it. So I figure I'll just keep dealing with the 1 thing.

So far I have the anti business decay, auto yak, biotech fix, crumplebottom fix, don't wave at me, door jam fix, fitness 4 all, no corrupt death, no unlink on delete, phone hack, plumbing breaks less (oh my god that was making me pull my hair out and scream endless profanities!), remote business fix, romance urnstone fix (although I haven't had to need it yet), smarter cashier (for dumber Sims), and now wants/fears sanity. If you couldn't tell from my incessant prattling above, I love running businesses.

Directly related to this mod, I have a question. I also just downloaded syberspunks adult wants enabled for teens w/random flirts, but it says it will conflict with JM's Wants/Fears Sanity, but also says I can keep WFS as long as his loads last, so I changed the name of his (syberspunk's) file to add a "z" to the end. Is that okay? It sounds like JM has added more stuff since teen-enabled adult wants (the date on this one is newer than the date on syberspunk's mod, it seems), so I think I want to keep both. I think. Kinda new to the hack scene. Was always afraid of them, but JM and the others here at MATY have pretty good reps for stable mods, so I'm going to try some out. That and I'm sick and tired of dealing with the broken POS that Eaxis pawned off on us.

Yea, I forgot all about that one -- good call, MD!

Very good call! I forgot about that one. Thanks MissDoh!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: 2007 October 12, 20:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also just downloaded syberspunks adult wants enabled for teens w/random flirts, but it says it will conflict with JM's Wants/Fears Sanity, but also says I can keep WFS as long as his loads last, so I changed the name of his (syberspunk's) file to add a "z" to the end. Is that okay?

That's what I do. Well I add a 'z_' to the start of the mod. Welcome btw, I love your avatar Grin Please do not mention mine Tongue

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2007 October 12, 21:42:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So far I have the anti business decay, auto yak, biotech fix, crumplebottom fix, don't wave at me, door jam fix, fitness 4 all, no corrupt death, no unlink on delete, phone hack, plumbing breaks less (oh my god that was making me pull my hair out and scream endless profanities!), remote business fix, romance urnstone fix (although I haven't had to need it yet), smarter cashier (for dumber Sims), and now wants/fears sanity. If you couldn't tell from my incessant prattling above, I love running businesses.

Oh man, there are a bunch of JMP's hacks that are critical fixes you should have, and others that fix many annoyances with the game.  Of the top of my head, you should have antibagthrow (esp. if you like running businesses), antiprankhack, antiredundancy, antiwatchout (if you have NL), autosoc, breakupfix, carpoolfix, comm-skilling, crumplefix, dramafix, marriage-postmortum - the list goes on and on.  Check the all hacks directories in the Archives here -- there's a lot of JMP hacks in the directors cut that you really should have to fix bugs in the game that were never fixed, and other annoyances (dontwaveatme is a good example) that will drive you bats after a while.

And one you used Macrotastics, you'll wonder how you played without it.  Same with BUY, and especially BRY if you play a lot of businesses.  Oh, and the customer selector is a must for businesses. And you should plop a lot debugger on every lot, because you'll find you can't live without the problems it can fix.

Do a search in these forums on 'critical', and just see the number of hacks that pop up (that's why the color-coded bar exists on the top of each description).  Really, the best thing to do is to put the whole Director's Cut in your game, and then just remove the ones you don't want -- that way you'll be sure to get all the ones that fix bugs and major annoyances. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
JCSpencer
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2007 October 12, 23:49:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I do. Well I add a 'z_' to the start of the mod. Welcome btw, I love your avatar Grin Please do not mention mine Tongue

Thanks, Emma! And whatever do you mean? It's not like *I* haven't made out with Goopy, too. Tongue

On second thought, just ignore that.

Oh man, there are a bunch of JMP's hacks that are critical fixes you should have, and others that fix many annoyances with the game.  Of the top of my head, you should have antibagthrow (esp. if you like running businesses), antiprankhack, antiredundancy, antiwatchout (if you have NL), autosoc, breakupfix, carpoolfix, comm-skilling, crumplefix, dramafix, marriage-postmortum - the list goes on and on.  Check the all hacks directories in the Archives here -- there's a lot of JMP hacks in the directors cut that you really should have to fix bugs in the game that were never fixed, and other annoyances (dontwaveatme is a good example) that will drive you bats after a while.

First of all, thanks for all the great advice! I really appreciate it. You definitely are a very helpful, friendly bunch. *hugs* I checked out almost all of JM's hacks (and I forgot to mention that I also DLed the lot debugger). I didn't take some of them though because I didn't like some or all of the effects, at least not for my play style.

Antibagthrow: I didn't take it because I never experienced the instant-throw-because-the-line-is-blocked problem. My customers usually throw bags after several minutes of waiting for my Special Olympics cashiers.
Antiredundancy: Skipped this because it said "Critical for BV" in title which I don't have, but didn't realize it affected earlier games, so I just downloaded it. Thanks!
Antiwatchout: Didn't take it because it's usually not too much of a problem for me. I'm usually playing at normal speed, and I've found that if I put the driveway on the far right side of the property (when facing from the street), meaning the driver has to go left to get to the mailbox or the front door, I don't usually encounter the cancelled out actions. Even when I do, I'm used to it, and always wait a few seconds before issuing a command to anyone exiting a car. I might still check it out later (but like I said, hacks are new for me and I want to start slow with stuff I really need or want).
autosoc: While it looks handy, I am definitely a micro-manager when it comes to the Sims. I like telling them who to talk to, what to say, what to do, what topics to discuss. Everytime I let them do their own socializing, somebody ends up getting furious, and someone else gets slapped.
crumplefix: Got it. Smiley
dramafix: This is the drama professor/met self fix, right? I don't really pay any attention to memories, so since I assume this is simply a memory fix, I didn't bother with it. I never understood what was so important about the memory thing anyway (other than the fact sometimes they cry, fret, get angry about or simply remember an event sometimes).
dontwaveatme: Got this one too. Smiley

As for antiprankhack, breakupfix, carpoolfix, comm-skilling, and marriage-postmortum: I can't seem to locate them (other than being referenced in other threads, but without links). But I do seem to recall reading in one of the threads last night that comm-skilling was being redone, or fixed, or something? And does the carpoolfix refer to the comm lot carpool fix by syberspunk? If so, I opted not to get it because I rarely encounter this bug (in fact it's only happened to me once) and I'm not terribly bothered by it. Although I do like the potential for only some Sims leaving. It never made sense that Maxis decided comm lot visits could be only with all or one, nothing in between.

EDIT: Just found some of the ones you mentioned.
Antiprankhack: Am I missing something here? I've seen this talked about on several threads, but I've only ever seen one issue with pranking, and that's the stupid cow that keeps setting off the water sprinklers at my university. I have never seen water balloons, and I don't ahve to worry about snowballs because I don't have Seasons yet. *sniff*
Carpoolfix: I don't have any of the listed problems that I've ever noticed, so I'll pass for now.
Marriage-postmortum: Well, I haven't had to deal with this at all, but since I would eventually like to get a family line started, I downloaded it to prevent any issues in the future. Preventive maintenance. Smiley

I still can't find comm-skilling or breakup fix however. Maybe I'm just more retarded than people give me credit for.

And one you used Macrotastics, you'll wonder how you played without it.  Same with BUY, and especially BRY if you play a lot of businesses.  Oh, and the customer selector is a must for businesses. And you should plop a lot debugger on every lot, because you'll find you can't live without the problems it can fix.

Didn't grab those for similar reasons as above. My play style is micro-management. I watch and control everything my Sims do (and thus play 80% of the time at normal speed); why I keep free will on is beyond me, because I usually end up screaming and cussing at them. Nobody does anything unless I tell 'em too, or else they get sent to time out (a nice little box I make at the back of the property with no exits); granted it doesn't do jack, but it makes me feel better when they pee themselves and then I let them out. Yeah, I get kind of a God complex going when I'm playing Sims. In regards to BUY, I never have bathroom pile-up issues, mainly because they don't go unless I tell 'em too and have 3 or 4 terlets in every house. And as for BRY, to be perfectly honest with you (and this is just between you and me, so don't post this anywhere JM can see it), I don't really understand what the hell the BRY mod does, mainly because JM is a fat obstreperous jerk and gave only "In Soviet Russia, you do not run business, business runs YOU!" as the frickin' description.

Do a search in these forums on 'critical', and just see the number of hacks that pop up (that's why the color-coded bar exists on the top of each description).  Really, the best thing to do is to put the whole Director's Cut in your game, and then just remove the ones you don't want -- that way you'll be sure to get all the ones that fix bugs and major annoyances. Smiley

If you can't tell, I'm a little obsessive compulsive. For example, right now I have an Excel spreadsheet open in another window while I search for and download files in even more windows (God I hate tabs; I like separate windows dammit). Every time I download something, I enter the name of the file/archive, where I downloaded it from, who the author is, and the name of every .package file inside the archive. Then I extract the contents to a series of subfolders sorted first by type (recolor, buy mode, build mode, hack/global mod, food, career, or CAS), then sorted by the website I got the mods from, and in some cases, further sorted by the author. I will never be one of those people that doesn't know where any one of my files came from.

So yeah, I tend do more work than is necessary, all the time, and I usually work backwards from what you suggested. Putting in what I want now, and coming back for other stuff later. Plus to tell you the truth, I'm redoing my Sims game from a different angle - less = more. I just wiped out everything and am restarting from scratch because I had over 20,000 files in my DL folder (something like 3GB or so) and the game was running slower than molasses uphill in winter. So I'm really trying to avoid the "grab everything because who knows when I'll need it" mentality. That's what got me so many files before, and a game that wasn't that much fun anymore (and that crashed repeatedly, and required 30+ minutes to get back into it again just to experience another crash).

I hope I don't sound like I'm being overly critical or rude to you. I really do appreciate the suggestions and help, believe me! I just like to talk. A lot. Which means you don't have to worry about me being the quiet-type obsessive compulsive that doesn't kill people just because it's too messy.

Anyway, thanks again!
« Last Edit: 2007 October 12, 23:54:33 by JCSpencer » Logged
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2007 October 13, 02:45:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Off the top of my head, dramafix is needed because the met-self memories are a very bad thing.  Like some of the other things we've said are VBTs, it doesn't cause problems right away, but does have a ripple effect that can eventually blow up your hood.

Many of the hacks aren't found in individual files; they're only part of the Director's Cut package.  There's a thread in the Armory (don't know why I kept saying archives)  that documents most of them, and if you're not sure, someone here can tell you what they do.

See, macrotastics is PERFECT for micro-management.  You tell the sim to go skill, and they go skill until their motives drop enough to make them stop.  Then they'll take care of their motives (BUY for the bathroom, sleepclock for sleeping, something to kick for fun, they'll eat on their own), and go back to skilling. You tell them to make friends with someone, and they'll keep yacking/joking/busting a move/whatever until they're friends. And if you want them to absolutely not do anything you don't tell them to do, put them on Power Idle, and they'll go sit quietly somewhere until you tell them what to do (other than taking care of any motives that need taking care of).  Pescado may be the ultimate micro-manager -- he DOES play with Free Will off all the time, so mods like this are made just for that reason.

BRY makes running a business with employees easier, since you can't really control non-family employees. It works in conjunction with macrotastics and BUY so that the employees do whatever job you tell them to do (i.e., Be Cashier or Be Restocker) and to take care of their motive needs when necessary so they don't leave early or quit on you.  And it has some handy utilities that let you set the job for the owner when you visit the lot with other sims (treating it as a comm lot), and let you adjust an employee's wage without having to drop everything, go find the employee, stop whatever they're doing and give them a raise.

The customer selector is a must for any owned business, because it does just what it says -- it controls the customers you allow at the business.  Want only rich sims -- ban the poor.  Ban pets so they don't disrupt your customers (that's about the only default setting).  Hate serving zombies, or having customers turn into werewolves in the middle of a sale? Ban em.  Want you downtownies to shop at your business?  Allow them.  Same with your YAs from Uni.  Want to make a teens-only coffee shop?  Ban all other age groups. And so on, and so on...

Really, just give them a try for a couple of days.  Make a backup of your hoods first, put them in, and see how they work.  If you don't like them (or they cause something you don't want to happen), take them out and restore the hood.  I'm betting you won't take them out. Smiley

(Oh, and comm-skilling is here. Unless otherwise stated in the description or RTFM, BV hacks are compatible with all prior EPs.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: