More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 04:19:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  May "More Awful Than You": Buttugly Brokeass Furniture
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: May "More Awful Than You": Buttugly Brokeass Furniture  (Read 266855 times)
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: May "More Awful Than You": Buttugly Brokeass Furniture
« Reply #500 on: 2007 June 04, 21:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the Ents initially refused to help in the film, and had to be tricked into doing anything. So they went from wise to stupid. In the book the entire point of the Entmoot is that the Ents, who have resigned themselves to staying in Fangorn Forest and essentially die out, decide to help the world one last time because it is the right thing to do. In the film, they decide to ignore the plight of the Free Peoples, and it takes Hobbit trickery to get them to fight for their own forest. PJ would have us believe that Fangorn is unaware of the mass destruction of the forest he has cared for for millennia, and has grown? In the book, Fangorn was fully aware Saruman was cutting down trees, but it took the Hobbits to come along and show them that they did not know everything yet, and that the world still held unseen marvels and thus was worth fighting for.

Arwen: why, why, why. I know PJ has a thing for hawt elf boobies, but it is extremely unnecessary. Arwen is background character for a reason: she is the silent motivation behind Aragorn's quest. It is not the kingship he fights for, it is not the chance to kicks some Maia butt, it is the love of a woman. To turn her into a warrior is to make her a weak dilution of Éowyn, lessening both characters.

Telepathy: Bah. Ties into the entire dumbing down thing and unnecessary additions. Don't even get me started on the moronic "Arwen is dying boohoo" theme introduced by PJ.

As for Faramir: PJ completely missed the point that Faramir has the power to reject the Ring without the need for an external stimulus. As such he is a perfect counterweight for his brother: Boromir looks at the Ring and sees the power in it, and believes he can use it to make Gondor greater. Faramir looks at it, and sees exactly what he is fighting against.
PJ's Faramir (Filmamir) is stupid enough to realize what he has, and then take the Ring to a heavily besieged area, taking it straight to the hands of his enemy!
When Sam says , "We're not supposed to be here, Mr. Frodo," during the raid on Osgiliath, my reaction is "Hell yeah!".
Of all the changes and removals from the movie, the destruction of Faramir bothers me the most.
PJ has turned him from a Man unfallen to just another crybaby who desperately wants his daddy to love him.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 04, 21:28:11 by Jordi » Logged
RaeKira
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 2007 June 04, 22:21:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That stupid dying Arwen thing was so lame! Every time I watch the movie I'm always like, "WTF THAT MAKES NO SENSE STFU AND GET A LIFE!"
And that other elven guy, I forget his name too because I'm terrible with names, he has the long "blonde" hair (it's so obviously fake, like Orlando Bloom's) and kind of a squarish face? I keep thinking he was either a lot more important or a lot less important, and it's annoying.
Faramir. *sighs* Since I was in 7th grade when I read the books, I didn't realize that he was able to say no to the ring. I got that Boromir was pretty much overcome by its power; it just didn't dawn on me that Faramir could withstand it. I was so upset about the part where his dad sends him off to fight the Orcs because he looked like a puppy. He's not supposed to be such a little kid! I have to admit, though, I laughed so hard to see his dad fall off that great cliff. I always make little crashing sounds for him. Cheesy
I was -and still am- pleasantly surprised by the fact that Faramir and Boromir actually look related in the movies. That hardly ever happens in movies.

Hell yeah.
ElenaRoan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 2007 June 04, 23:26:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And that other elven guy, I forget his name too because I'm terrible with names, he has the long "blonde" hair (it's so obviously fake, like Orlando Bloom's) and kind of a squarish face? I keep thinking he was either a lot more important or a lot less important, and it's annoying.

Haldir?  He was quite important...but he WASN'T at Helms Deep and didn't die *mumbles* he's the March Warden of Lothlórien

I missed the Ride of the Grey Army, and the Twins, and Glorfindel, and...I'll shut up now *grin*

- ElenaRoan
RaeKira
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 2007 June 04, 23:54:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, no, ElenaRoan, you can keep talking. I don't mind Cheesy

I knew it was one or the other. I know I liked him in the book. And I knew it wasn't right that he was at Helm's Deep!

I missed seeing Sarumon get his sorry ass kicked. -_____________________-

Oh, you know what else they messed up in the movies? They called Merry "Merryweather". He's Meriadoc for Christ's sake.

Hell yeah.
julialenn
Blathering Buffoon

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 2007 June 05, 00:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you've seen the movies, then when you read Return of the King you'll prolly get a little pissed at the movies. At least, I did. The director left out the end of the book, although it was probably from time constraints. I doubt that most major fans would have minded a longer movie anyway...  Grin *points to self*

:-D
You've no idea how happy I am that you feel that way.
I thought I was the only one.
Whenever I complain about it, (id est: whenever the subject comes up) the person I'm talking to invariably reminds me that the movie's already longer than the average Joe's attention span.
RaeKira
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 2007 June 05, 00:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, Lord of the Rings is not for any average Joes. Besides, no one said they absolutely, positively must watch it, right?

I am willing to sacrifice any amount of time to see a good movie, whether it's fifteen minutes or four or five hours. They shouldn't make films unless they're going to make it right! And if they want to split it up [like Kill Bill], then so be it!

Hell yeah.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 2007 June 05, 05:47:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zazazu, you should definitely get to reading them. They are really long, and take forever to read [I'm a fast reader, and it still took me a month to get through the series, excluding the Hobbit],  but they're some of the best books I've ever laid eyes on. If you've seen the movies, then when you read Return of the King you'll prolly get a little pissed at the movies. At least, I did. The director left out the end of the book, although it was probably from time constraints. I doubt that most major fans would have minded a longer movie anyway...  Grin *points to self*
Well, since you have a pic of Harry's bum as your avatar, I'm assuming you've both seen the HP movies and read the books. Those movies do the same thing with me. Piss me off, but I still love them. They change so many things. Some of them are due to time constraints, but some are just silly....like the source of the gillyweed. Showing the true source would have kept more continuity between the movies. But no.

I picked up Fellowship a couple years ago...I was 22, I think. Got to page 30, couldn't take it. I'll try again in a year or so. Beautifully described world, I just get antsy.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
julialenn
Blathering Buffoon

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 2007 June 05, 06:39:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I picked up Fellowship a couple years ago...I was 22, I think. Got to page 30, couldn't take it. I'll try again in a year or so. Beautifully described world, I just get antsy.

Maybe try a book-on-tape version?
That helps me get through wordy books.
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: 2007 June 08, 21:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

all of you people whining about Jacksons version of Lord of the Rings really should watch this one and then go back and watch Jackson's version again.

Seriously, there are so many things wrong with that flick that you might want to have a few strong drinks before you watch it.

In short:
* Gandalf the Grey wears blue. Saruman (Aruman?) the White... wears Red?
* Gandalf recites the Ring's inscription in the Black tongue.... which in the book he adamantly refuses to do.
* The first Nazgul (black rider) to appear looks and behaves like a zombie... and gimps around like a freak.
* Gimli is almost as tall as Legolas and Aragorn! WTF?
* Shadowfax has a bridle. In an animated movie. WTF? Shadowfax wouldn't tolerate a bridle!

Oh trust me, there's even more wrong with it than that.

Jackson might have done a few dumb things (*cough*ARWEN*cough*) but compared to Bakshi (who did it ANIMATED, not live action, so there's no excuse for it to suck visually as much as it did) he comes off looking pretty good.

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 2007 June 08, 21:57:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Seen it, own it on DVD.

Jackson probably made the best movie adaption we'll ever get, but it's hardly perfect. As a card-carrying fanboy I am allowed to whine about it :p
RaeKira
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: 2007 June 08, 22:16:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, that other version DOES sound totally screwed up. I agree with Jordi; Jackson prolly did make the best movie adaption, but it's still riddled with screwups. They're still awesome movies though, and I can whine because I love it. Cheesy

Hell yeah.
mando
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 2007 June 08, 22:40:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The worst thing about that Bakshi piece of crap is how mind numbingly boring it is, and how completely spoiled it is by his bizarre obsession with rotoscoping ( "You know what, we don't need to animate these battle scenes, let's just take the same section of film, tint it red, and then use it over, and over, and over again").
Of course, I can't abide anything LOTR related (perhaps because I saw this movie and other Bakshi type garbage when I was young), and so am seriously biased.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: 2007 June 08, 22:51:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's hard to say what is worse: Bakshi's LOTR part one, or the Ranklin-Bass abominations "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King".
mando
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 2007 June 09, 01:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's hard to say what is worse: Bakshi's LOTR part one, or the Ranklin-Bass abominations "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King".

Ugh, I forgot about those ones. If it's a battle between those three films we're all losers in the end.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: 2007 June 09, 01:16:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"The Return of the King" animated movie gave us the Oricish hit song, "Where There's a Whip, There's A Way."  What's not to love about that?  Roll Eyes

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
ElenaRoan
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: 2007 June 10, 03:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do my best to forget the animated atrocities ever existed *grin*

I love the movies, just that I miss some bits that were in the books.

- ElenaRoan
feistyredhead
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 2007 June 17, 06:40:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apply Liberally.

ENFP
snowgray
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: 2007 June 18, 00:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the contest is over, but FeeEssen is still trying to win.  She got inspired by the baby-shaped dining set...

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=235892
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 2007 June 23, 19:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whilst I'm utterly thrilled and delighted that someone should consider many of my items fit to be nominated for this prestigious award (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8245.msg229575.html#msg229575) I would generally appreciate it if people could not hot link to our previews - its not a huge amount of data but 4Mb a day does add up after a while and I need all my bandwidth so that people with no taste download my buttugly furniture Wink

Ta!

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 2007 June 24, 07:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bandwidth leechery! Smites all around.

Kudos to Kate for having an excellent sense of humour, as well.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 2007 June 24, 12:08:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whilst I'm utterly thrilled and delighted that someone should consider many of my items fit to be nominated for this prestigious award (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8245.msg229575.html#msg229575) I would generally appreciate it if people could not hot link to our previews - its not a huge amount of data but 4Mb a day does add up after a while and I need all my bandwidth so that people with no taste download my buttugly furniture Wink

Ta!
Fixed, at least in that post. Any other hotlinks that need fixing?

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: 2007 June 25, 08:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking at our referrals list I'd say no but if there are any more problems then I'll let you know & thank you for taking care of this so efficiently - btw, I have no issue if someone wants to hot link for this or any other purpose to our stuffage as long as they ask me nicely first Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: