More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 09:39:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  S.O.S. - Can you safely delete a family that's never been out of the bin?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: S.O.S. - Can you safely delete a family that's never been out of the bin?  (Read 11766 times)
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
S.O.S. - Can you safely delete a family that's never been out of the bin?
« on: 2007 April 25, 05:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I created one of my many MATY families incorrectly and didn't realize it until it was in the Sim Bin.  Can the family be safely deleted from there since its never set foot on a lot or anything or is it too late?  No other family has been played since they were created, either.  My discovery was immediately upon exiting CAS.   Cry

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: S.O.S. - Can you safely delete a family that's never been out of the bin?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 25, 06:44:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, you can never delete from the sim bin. Use "Deleted II".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 25, 18:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I prove, yet again, that I am not awesome:  what do you mean by Deleted II  ?  Or are you just giving me shit?  Tongue
*puts on dunce cap

Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 25, 18:59:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check here. Smiley

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,6205.0.html
« Last Edit: 2007 April 25, 20:38:52 by Katze » Logged

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 25, 19:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG *slaps forehead
imadork
I searched for "Deleted II" just as he typed it.  See, I knew he was giving me shit.  Roll Eyes

** And thank you Katze  Grin

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 25, 22:15:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, you can never delete from the sim bin. Use "Deleted II".

If you just created a Sim, plopped him/her in the bin and never moved the Sim to a hood, how can it have any memories or ties to any Sim within any hood (or vice versa) since theoretically it doesn't really exist until it comes into play? 

I can see where a family is different since relationships are set between family members, but not in the case of a single Sim.  Surely the program can't anticipate which hood it will be moved to.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 25, 22:31:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Families in the Sim Bin aren't shared between neighbourhoods (however, they are shared between sub-hoods, with the exception of any Universities). Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure that sims in the Sim Bin are free to wander community lots (and perhaps residential lots as walkbys), and so could autonomously strike up a conversation.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 25, 22:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But she hasn't played any lot yet after creating that family, right?

So it couldn't have talked to anyone yet.
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 25, 22:39:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True, haven't played any lot since creating.

I have a feeling it would be easier to cause a quick and untimely death to said sim.  First I will change the name and look of her.  Then... :: poof ::  a nasty satellite drops out of the sky.

ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 25, 22:57:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm fairly sure that sims in the Sim Bin are free to wander community lots (and perhaps residential lots as walkbys), and so could autonomously strike up a conversation.

Good point; of late the pregnant Ottomas woman has popped up as a visitor in a couple of my homes, though the family remains in the bin and I've no intention of playing them.  On the other hand, the binned Sims Ramaswami and O'Mackey have made no appearance at all.  So far.

Must be governed by some random instruction in the background, perhaps dependent on current population stats?
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 25, 23:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see that Ramaswami guy all the flippin' time when I pop over to my testing neighborhood that has all the default stuff left in. Not any of the rest of the family, just the guy. He made me think he was a townie for the longest time. Shows how much I pay attention to families in the sim bin!  Cheesy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 26, 00:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleted II can handle erasing sims who have memories, since it runs search-and-destroy on those.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 26, 01:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But they have no memories interacting with other existing people as they haven't been played yet.
starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 26, 01:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a feeling the memories are "set" once you leave the CAS screen, whether you actually play the game (any other family, even) or not.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 26, 01:24:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like I said, Deleted II doesn't care. it will search-and-destroy every memory in the neighborhood pertaining to the soon-to-be-deleted automatically. You CAN wipe out sims that have met other sims if you use the function on the Lot Debugger and follow the tutorial. Do NOT, however, EVER delete from the sim-bin in a live neighborhood.

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 April 26, 01:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gossip memories are obtained by having playtime with that family.  No loading the lot, no gossip memories or possible tokens, correct?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 April 26, 01:30:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gossip memories are obtained by having playtime with that family.  No loading the lot, no gossip memories or possible tokens, correct?
No. Gossip memories can occur purely through osmosis. Again, Deleted II doesn't care.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 April 26, 11:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I imagine those of you who understand all this are getting fed up explaining it.  I tend to put it like this....

When you created the family, the game created all sorts of bits and pieces of data about the sims and the family and stored info in a number of different places in the neighborhood package and character files.  While the sims are sitting in the simbin, the game creates more bits of data about them.  The maxis deleting tool doesn't find and delete all of the bits.  Why take a chance on one of these bits of stray data biting you on the ass later?  Don't sweat the detail, just use the nice safe tool Pescado made for us.  Those of us who got the Tshirt for messing up our hoods by deleting sims and cleaning up badly, don't recommend that route to others!

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 April 26, 15:13:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh I recently deleted that Cyd guy out of the sim bin so that's probably not done the game any good. Actually I only did it to see if his character file would disappear from inside the Neighbourhood file (it didn't). If I'd deleted him with the Lot Debugger though I'd still have been left with his dog cluttering up the sim bin. Is there any way to get rid of pets?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 April 26, 15:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not presently. Looking into this for a later version.

starrling
Giraffe Person
Pinheaded Pissant

nyah

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 April 26, 16:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I solved the whole problem by making a simmiecal ghostie for our hood. 
RIP simmiecal

AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 April 26, 17:05:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see that Ramaswami guy all the flippin' time when I pop over to my testing neighborhood that has all the default stuff left in. Not any of the rest of the family, just the guy. He made me think he was a townie for the longest time. Shows how much I pay attention to families in the sim bin!  Cheesy

And in my custom neighbourhood, stupid David Ottomas keeps showing up on random lots and making eyes at all the other teens there. I can swear on a stack of HHGTTG that the Ottomas are still in the Sim Bin. I've never deleted a family from the Sim Bin either. Which (it sounds like) is a good thing after all...
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 April 26, 17:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim-binned families tend to be the number one reason I see the stupid message, "You can't call someone who doesn't have a phone!". I feel like using testingcheats to give them cellphones when they walk by, just so I can use them for something.

INFP or something
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 April 26, 17:27:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're lucky you have the Phone Hack, then, because otherwise it would STILL say that.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 April 26, 19:46:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And in my custom neighbourhood, stupid David Ottomas keeps showing up on random lots and making eyes at all the other teens there. I can swear on a stack of HHGTTG that the Ottomas are still in the Sim Bin. I've never deleted a family from the Sim Bin either. Which (it sounds like) is a good thing after all...
Ugh. Deleted 2 those Ottomas's NOW, then thoroughly clean your computer with Lysol. Not only is the mom's pregnancy thoroughly borked, but the kids you get naturally from them are beyond ugly. Not to mention, grandma is scary. With my custom replacement skins, she looked exactly like one of those witch-heads we used to make in Brownies out of decaying apples.

The Ramaswami's, however, are wonderful. Beautiful kids, and the family I tested out Seasons with.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: