More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 04:59:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Weatherproof custom roofs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Weatherproof custom roofs  (Read 5857 times)
Spicey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Weatherproof custom roofs
« on: 2007 April 14, 05:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i've got a crapload of custom roofs created by warping floor panels, and as soon as it starts raining or snowing, all my simmies start running around, cringing, and "yelling"  about weather in the house.

even a regular flat floor will not stop the rain, if i try it as a barrier between the roof and the living area.   i had to move my broken-down-barn sims into a  much smaller shed with a "real" roof until i can figure out how to fix their rattletrap livingquarters.

any suggestions? hacks? hints?

thanks in advance.

Cry Cry Angry
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
Re: Weatherproof custom roofs
« Reply #1 on: 2007 April 14, 06:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A regular flat floor should work. I've used that fix on a few of my lots, plus I'm rather fond of flat roofs. Are you making sure to put wall-to-wall-to-wall-to-wall floor tiles in between? Even one missed tile can wreak havoc.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 April 14, 17:57:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I removed some roof COLORING tiles and had the 'weather in the house' thing.  You would think that the roof would just resort back to Maxis default (it looked like that was what happened), but apparently the game thought the roof was gone.  Pain in the butt...had to re-roof every house where I had used those tiles.

So apparently Seasons code for 'there's an actual roof over this house' is very touchy. And in more than one way?

Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 April 15, 00:47:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea if what I'm thinking would have an effect, but when you make the flat "under-roofs", are you using the tile auto-roofing function? Since the code is apparently touchy about what a roof is, that might have an effect?

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 April 15, 00:58:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that, since the 2nd Pets patch, the walls extend slightly past the interior edges of a room, and I've had to start adding extra roof-tiles to the outer edges of the entire house, so that there's a sort of eave around the exterior of the house. If I don't do this, there is a gap between the inner edge of the walls and the outer edge of the roof. The only way to cover the walls completely is to add the extra roof-tiles. I suspect that, even though I don't yet have Seasons, this is some Seasons-related code that was placed in the Pets patch. This could be the problem with the custom roofs.

ETA: This is only a problem for me when making flat roofs. Pitched roofs seem to cover the walls properly.

Edit: corrected spelling of 'eave' - doh!
« Last Edit: 2007 April 15, 07:26:55 by notveryawesome » Logged

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 April 15, 06:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, you may have hit upon the crux of the problem.

Prior to installing seasons, odd shaped roofs (round, spires, etc.) could be made to meet the edge of the walls. 

Houses where I had roofs that just met the walls like this, would get 'weather' in the room directly under the roof if I did not enlarge the roof to make an 'eave'.

But, with flat roofs, one doesn't normally have an eave. 

Come to think of it, I haven't made a flat roofed house since I installed Seasons.  I have made community lots with flat roofs, though and don't remember any problems with them, but that doesn't mean anything as I don't think I've left a sim on community lot long enough to experience much weather...

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 April 15, 18:32:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, as a workaround I suppose you could try building a wall around your house that's at least one level higher than the house's highest part, roof it over with invisible roof tiles and then delete the wall.  (Come to think of it, will unsupported tiles like that keep out the snow and rain, or do there have to be walls as well?)

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 April 15, 21:28:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The commercial type awnings which came with OFB do not seem to keep out weather or lightning...at least from what I've used of them in game so far.

They have no 'walls' so that could be the reason why.

However, I have covered second story balconies with angled roofs using columns and those roofs DO seem to keep the weather off the covered balcony.

Been a couple days since I've been able to spend any time playing, but hope to this evening...will test this roof/weather thing in game then...

Spicey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 April 16, 02:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the "holey" flat roofs could be the problem, since the flat roofs in my default houses seem to work just fine.   Kiss

and i've noticed that just putting a roof over something doesn't stop it from being covered in snow.

*grump*

i'm thinking ea needs to hire me to get the retard's angle on their inventions.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 April 16, 04:45:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, as a workaround I suppose you could try building a wall around your house that's at least one level higher than the house's highest part, roof it over with invisible roof tiles and then delete the wall.  (Come to think of it, will unsupported tiles like that keep out the snow and rain, or do there have to be walls as well?)
There have to be walls. I have weather coming into a community lot top-floor restaurant despite their being "overhangs" (three walls, floor tile roof).

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 April 16, 12:42:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My evidence suggests that there must be overhead tiles AND the area must be enclosed by a wall, but the tiles don't necessarily have to be sealed. It is possible to create a structure where there are 4 enclosing walls, and an overhead "tile" roof, but the tile roof itself is either unsupported or not enclosing. Example: Create a small 4-wall box, then create a roof two levels up built from either floating unsupported tiles or pillars, without actually roofing the box itself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Spicey
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 April 21, 12:06:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the walls seem to be key.  the open floor tiles only affect the spot directly below them, as i discovered when i spotted jennifer burb playing pool in her underwear, next to a frosted plant, and she was not affected by the temp.  whose idea was it to make sims hot and cold, anyway?   Angry
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 April 24, 16:12:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, well....now I've had an issue with this. Built a community pool/small diner lot last night. Fully walled in, two story structure. Every wall is occupied by a full-height/width window so it's a pretty glass & metal structure. The roof is a flat roof using custom translucent glass-type tiles from the "tile" category. Rain leaked through. Nasty since we all know how much of a lightning attractor hottubs are, and the lot has one in addition to the huge pool.

However...the lot next door is a residential lot. It also has a flat roof using custom tiles, but they are in the "other" category. No leakage.

I'm stumped. It couldn't possibly be the genre of floor tiles, could it? That's just asinine.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 April 24, 19:48:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's the translucency?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 April 24, 20:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe....you wouldn't think there would be any checks for that. Ah well. Will do a little testing tonight on an empty lot with some 4x4 buildings, different floor tiles, and snow. Hopefully I'll be able to do some sort of non-awesome scientific experiment to find if it's custom tiles, tile translucency, or tile type that's the culprit. Considering that my current neighborhood is urban and is going to have loads of flat roofs, weatherproofing is important.

Capitalism, Ho!
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: