More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 10:31:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  LTW's
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: LTW's  (Read 35625 times)
leiela
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
LTW's
« on: 2007 March 26, 18:45:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok not sure this is really the place to put it, but has anyone made or can anyone make new Life Time  wants ..

i have got the hack that allows the career ones to be picked by any asperation, but seriously if i get another family sim with the marry off 6 kids want or another romance sim who wants to be a slacker im going to go insane.... especially as theres all the new cool jobs included in alot of the EP's that don't come up.   

Not to mention the pleasure sim asperations that just plain suck..sure 50 first dates or dream dates is fun once.. or twice .. but with a neighbourhood population of over 200 im going to go insane if i have to go though that one again. Smiley

not asking for anything fancy maybe just some to include the new careers.. anything would be helpful.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: LTW's
« Reply #1 on: 2007 March 26, 18:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New LTWs are not practical, as doing so requires tampering with core files and the entire mess is not modular, so only a single such hack may be used.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 March 26, 18:56:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that what they had to do when they added the new LTW in Seasons?
Or have they changed something in that area of the game now?

*hoping that it will now all of a sudden be feasible to add new LTW*

INTJ
moniquinin
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 March 26, 21:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Leiela, you can always reroll the LTW with Pes' lot debugger batman thingie.  I personally wish there was an easier way - just click and choose - but it's good enough if you have patience.

1. I am a Mac person so DO NOT refer me to Simpe!!!!
2. English is NOT my first language so please forgive any mistakes.
3. My dog loves to eat chicken shit.
Morague
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 March 26, 22:49:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

leiela,

Try the additional LTWs that Squinge enabled http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=39837 These are just the 4 (Artist, Show Biz, Natural Science, & Paranormal ) that EA never enabled
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 March 26, 23:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Moniquinin, you can also cycle through the LTWs on the lot debugger.  If you're after a specific LTW then it's faster than choosing reroll LTW.

Leiela, if you're using Pescado's ltwvariety hack, then the LTWs they roll up can be affected by their interests, so tweaking the interests can help.  It's also not a good idea to use it in a fairly new neighbourhood, it's better to wait until the hood is a generation or two old.  This is because the mod takes into account their parents' LTWs so that careers can run in families.

That being said, I ended up taking ltwvariety out of my game as I was ending up with almost everyone wanting to be either Celebrity Chef, Captain Hero, or Hall of Famer.  Some LTWs, such as General, I rarely (if ever) saw in my game.  I was using the mod to give a wider choice of career LTWs to my family sims - but it only added one that I could see (culinary).

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 March 26, 23:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some LTWs, such as General, I rarely (if ever) saw in my game.  I was using the mod to give a wider choice of career LTWs to my family sims - but it only added one that I could see (culinary).

Could it be that they didn't have enough interest points relevant to the LTW you'd like them to roll? For example, if a sim has no or low interest in crime, they'll never want to be Captain Hero or Criminal Mastermind.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 March 26, 23:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That being said, I ended up taking ltwvariety out of my game as I was ending up with almost everyone wanting to be either Celebrity Chef, Captain Hero, or Hall of Famer.  Some LTWs, such as General, I rarely (if ever) saw in my game.  I was using the mod to give a wider choice of career LTWs to my family sims - but it only added one that I could see (culinary).

If you want to go the easy (well, somewhat) route, you can download Squinge's All LTWs for All Aspirations hack. Personally, I love it.

leiela,

Try the additional LTWs that Squinge enabled http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=39837 These are just the 4 (Artist, Show Biz, Natural Science, & Paranormal ) that EA never enabled

Has anyone used this? It seems you just put the files in the downloads folder, without having to edit anything. But I heard somewhere that it wasn't safe.
bekka
Blathering Buffoon

Now with 10% more visibility!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 March 27, 00:05:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone used this? It seems you just put the files in the downloads folder, without having to edit anything. But I heard somewhere that it wasn't safe.
[/quote]

I've used it for over a year and haven't had a problem with it at all.

This must be what going mad feels like.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 March 27, 01:31:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some LTWs, such as General, I rarely (if ever) saw in my game.  I was using the mod to give a wider choice of career LTWs to my family sims - but it only added one that I could see (culinary).

Could it be that they didn't have enough interest points relevant to the LTW you'd like them to roll? For example, if a sim has no or low interest in crime, they'll never want to be Captain Hero or Criminal Mastermind.

I've tried maxing out politics, health and sports, as those are the only ones I can think of that would be relevant to the military career.  My sims then roll up LTWs for Mayor, Chief of Staff and Hall of Famer.  But not for General.  It seems that not even Popularity sims get it when I have ltwvariety in my game. 

It's the career I'd most like to put my sims in (after the new Education one) due to the reward.  Currently I don't switch my sims to different careers.  Not long after Uni I tried career switching to farm the career rewards and got bored with it (even though I had a self-imposed rule that they had to reach the top before I switched).  My sims now get their LTW career as their only career.  The only exception to this is if I want the lot to have one of the uni career rewards.

If you want to go the easy (well, somewhat) route, you can download Squinge's All LTWs for All Aspirations hack. Personally, I love it.

It's my understanding that you have to mess with the core game files to use Squinge's hack for LTWs, and that you have to remember to uninstall it when you patch or install a new EP.  Too much messing about for me.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 March 27, 02:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's my understanding that you have to mess with the core game files to use Squinge's hack for LTWs, and that you have to remember to uninstall it when you patch or install a new EP.  Too much messing about for me.

Actually, I've been playing with his hack for a whiles, and I managed to install both Pets and more recently Seasons without even having to take those files out or put back the original ones.  Honestly, I totally forgot to do this for Pets and it just worked.  For seasons, I just tried it to see if it work, and it didn't complain at all. *shrugs*

I'm not necessarily encouraging you to try the hack just because I may have been lucky.  But it really isn't that much harder to install the hack and/or revert back to the originals.  Just keep copies of the originals in case you ever want to go back.  Installation just involves overwriting the originals with the hack and places the memories in your downloads folder.  It's pretty simple.  It's a shame that Maxis EA doesn't just enable them already.  I've echoed this over and over like a broken record, but if it can somewhat easily be hacked in there,  then it's not much more work for them to just include them already.  Hell, they could just release it as part of a patch, and make it available to those who just have Uni.

Ste

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 March 27, 02:11:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always forget to take that hack out before patching or adding an EP.

Fail.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 March 27, 02:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me too. I've had Squinge's LTWs in and always forget to "put things back" before installing a new EP or patch. Never had a problem either. I always back up my favorite hood before doing anything, but haven't ever had to revert to the backup after installs.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 March 27, 03:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've definitely been enjoying the new LTWs with Seasons - but I bet (nah, I know) that they didn't go ahead and enable the ones for Uni... sigh. So dumb, they could have done it right then and it would have been fine! They already spam the teenagers to go to college from the day they turn "12", they might as well have put those in!
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 March 27, 04:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my knowledge and family sims are constantly rolling the Education career LTW.

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 March 27, 06:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried maxing out politics, health and sports, as those are the only ones I can think of that would be relevant to the military career.  My sims then roll up LTWs for Mayor, Chief of Staff and Hall of Famer.  But not for General.  It seems that not even Popularity sims get it when I have ltwvariety in my game. 

It seems personality affects LTWs too. Maybe your sims are too nice, or not active enough, something like that. I have 2 Popularity sims in my game and they manage to roll LTWs for becoming General.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 March 27, 08:58:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whether you remember to take out the files or not is a moot point anyway since the latest version of this hack only requires the files to be in Downloads (in a sub-folder if you like).  You don't have to do anything with base game files.
« Last Edit: 2007 March 27, 09:03:36 by maxon » Logged

Inteen for AL, yay!
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 March 27, 10:19:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hopped on over to Insim and checked out Squinge's section.  I hadn't realised he'd made 3 hacks relating to LTWs, as the only LTW hack of his that I'd heard of was the one that previously required messing with core game files to add in the Uni career LTWs.  I'm not interested in the one that reduces the requirements for non-career LTWs, but the other two certainly look tempting.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 March 27, 19:01:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any testimonials as to whether Squinge's hack plays nicely with ltwvariety?

Ste, I remember you in a discussion about this hack in another thread a while ago.  At the time, I wanted it but knew I was not in a sufficient state of Awesome Readiness to do the maintenance for anything but my DL folder.  Even if you all have been lucky, I just hate the headache of sifting through hacks when something goes borken.

Anyway, I now have at least one other hack which requires such coddling, and more importantly a system of reminding myself of their existence.  I feel ready.  Cool  Just wanted to confirm, if you hang out here long enough, eventually you get drawn over to the dark side...  Grin
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 March 27, 21:01:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always forget to take that hack out before patching or adding an EP.

Me too. I've had Squinge's LTWs in and always forget to "put things back" before installing a new EP or patch. Never had a problem either. I always back up my favorite hood before doing anything, but haven't ever had to revert to the backup after installs.

Me three.  Lol.  Well... actually me first, since I did mention it first.  Hee Grin But yeah, it's good to know that I'm not the only scatterbrain that forgot to do this.  Happened to me once with no ill effects, so I just tried it again purposefully the next time around and still, no ill effects (thus far *knocks on wood* Tongue).  Besides, it's not that hard to revert to back up anyways.

Whether you remember to take out the files or not is a moot point anyway since the latest version of this hack only requires the files to be in Downloads (in a sub-folder if you like).  You don't have to do anything with base game files.

Hrm... well, if you're talkin about the hacks that change or obliterate aspiration dependency, that makes sense.  Those are just regular ole BHAV hacks.  As for the Uni related LTWs?  You mean you can actually stick the Want .packages in Downloads?  I didn't bother reading the rtfm (is there even one?) I just pretty much stuck to what already worked.  I suppose I could re-roll through LTWs and see if they show up.  The majority of my sims are boring and all have the same LTWs (Knowledge get max 7 skills, Fortune typically gets earn $100..., Popularity gets have 20 Best Friends, and Romance gets have/woohoo 20 lovers).  I only had a handful that actually had Uni career related LTWs...

Depends on which hack you mean.  If you are talking about the one(s) that add enable the Uni career related LTWs, then yes, they play fine together.  ltwvariety was hacked in the first place with the intention that, should Maxis EA ever actually enable those LTWs, ltwvariety would already affect them accordingly.  ltwvariety and Squinge's uni career related LTWs hacks modify totally different things, so they do not conflict.  In fact, they work perfectly together imho.

Now, if you mean the other Squingey hacks that change the number requirements or which aspirations get them, my guess is no.  At least definitely no for the later one (that changes aspiration dependency) since I'm pretty sure ltwvariety affect that too.  As for the requirements one (like reducing them to 10 sims instead of 20), I don't know about that.

Ste, I remember you in a discussion about this hack in another thread a while ago.  At the time, I wanted it but knew I was not in a sufficient state of Awesome Readiness to do the maintenance for anything but my DL folder.  Even if you all have been lucky, I just hate the headache of sifting through hacks when something goes borken.

Anyway, I now have at least one other hack which requires such coddling, and more importantly a system of reminding myself of their existence.  I feel ready.  Cool  Just wanted to confirm, if you hang out here long enough, eventually you get drawn over to the dark side...  Grin

I've been using Squinge's uni career related hack since he first released it and I haven't had any issues since.  If it is true that you can just stick them in the Downloads folder and not have to worry about anything else, then that makes things much easier. *shrugs* I could probably test it out one of these days, but meh.  I barely get a chance to actually play for reals.  If anyone can confirm this, then perhaps the same thing would go for my teen woohoo wants hack.  That would definitely be useful to know. Smiley

Ste

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 March 27, 21:07:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LTWs are owning what?
« Last Edit: 2007 March 27, 21:47:12 by Lil Brudder » Logged
Tamha
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 March 27, 21:18:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"LTW's" is appropriate grammar, because LTW is an acronym. You also should type as "TV's" and "VCR's" as other examples. "Life Time Want's" would be incorrect, sure, but acronyms are supposed to always use an apostrophe.

A mean person laughs with you because they don't really mean it. A really mean person just laughs at you.
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Re: LTWs
« Reply #22 on: 2007 March 27, 21:21:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, what Syberspunk said. You can use the hack that enables the Uni careers with ltwvariety OR with Squinge's Any LTW for all aspirations. But not both. Squinge's hack allows any aspiration to have any of the LTWs. You have to still use lot debugger to reroll the LTW to get what you want. Or you can use ltwvariety that comes with its own specific set of rules governing who can have what LTW. It's your choice. Ltwvariety will "see" the new LTWs if you have them enabled.

I was just over at Squingeland and looked at the "New LTWs mod". It still requires you to modify the base files as well as drop stuff in Downloads. Maybe someone was thinking of one of his other LTW mods?
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=26700
This is the Pets version. It hasn't been updated for Seasons yet as per his thread in the EP5 section entitled "Any LTW for all aspirations".

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 March 27, 21:35:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"LTW's" is appropriate grammar, because LTW is an acronym. You also should type as "TV's" and "VCR's" as other examples. "Life Time Want's" would be incorrect, sure, but acronyms are supposed to always use an apostrophe.
Not in this case. If it was punctuated as "L.T.W.", an apostrophe would be used. See below for general rules:
Quote from: Writer's Block: Plural and Possessive Abbreviations
The formation of plurals and possessives is usually pretty
straightforward, except in the case of abbreviations and acronyms. The
following rules should help.

To form the plural of an abbreviation, a number, or a capital letter
used as a noun, simply add an 's' to the end.

- A group of MPs
- The late 1940s
- Mind your Ps and Qs

To form the plural of an abbreviation with periods, a lowercase letter
used as a noun, and abbreviations or capital letters that would be
ambiguous or confusing if the 's' alone were added, use an apostrophe
and an 's'.

- A group of M.P.'s 
- The x's in the equation
- Sending SOS's
EDIT: Wrong source.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Diala
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: LTWs
« Reply #24 on: 2007 March 27, 21:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was just over at Squingeland and looked at the "New LTWs mod". It still requires you to modify the base files as well as drop stuff in Downloads. Maybe someone was thinking of one of his other LTW mods?
http://www.insimenator.net/showthread.php?t=26700
This is the Pets version. It hasn't been updated for Seasons yet as per his thread in the EP5 section entitled "Any LTW for all aspirations".

Huh. It seems the Seasons version of the hack just requires you to drop stuff in the Downloads folder. I'd be more than glad to use the hack if I didn't have to modify core game files.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: