More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 22:35:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Job icons are blank
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Job icons are blank  (Read 15607 times)
Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Job icons are blank
« on: 2005 July 20, 06:54:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

something in my downloads leaves the job icons in the wishes blank. The only way to fix it is to regenerate the whole user data. Only removing the download folder does not help.

Does anybody have an idea to trace down the problem? Or any idea, where the wrong data is written in the data?

Sorry about my english, it is not my nativ language
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Job icons are blank
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 20, 07:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe this is the Blank Icon Bug. One of the causes is believed to be the Remote Control Car. Don't buy these things. You need to replace the objects.package in your Uni install directory (TSData/Res/Objects/objects.package) with the one on one of your Uni CDs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 20, 07:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thank you, I will try it

yes, one of my students bought such a car from the campus
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 20, 08:10:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes, one of my students bought such a car from the campus
And I suppose you let them play with it, rather than hawking it for cash?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 20, 08:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

erm yes . *blush* i didn't know, it would be make problems
schmoopee
Blathering Buffoon

I'm the Green Bastard!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 20, 09:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I had this bug a few months ago, I didn't know it was caused by the car! Sure enough, now that I think back, the bug reared its head on the only lot that I had bought the stupid thing .. I got rid of it because it was just annoying - they want to play with it all the time & it doesn't realy get their fun up fast.

Other fun side effects of this bug that I encountered  are - no notification or bonuses on job promotion; all memory icons are plain green or red with no pictures;, sims don't change into work clothes; all pregnant sims wear the same blue top/burgundy pants outfit & wear their own outfits for swim & Pj;, no queue icons for anything work related, "move" related, or swimming; inability to click on tab to toggle back and forth between teen sim school grades/work performance.

It drove me nuts. I've been kind of waiting for it to come back, because I know some people have had to do the fix multiple times. But now that I know it's caused by that stupid car, I can rest easy. Good to know!

Corn is no place for a mighty warrior!
Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 20, 16:12:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

thank you, it works .... but why?

the files seams to be identical, does the new file date trigger a regeneration?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 20, 16:16:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The files are not identical. The one with the modified date has been damaged in the attempt to write the remote control car's character file. You should write-protect this file to prevent it from being overwritten in the future....and avoid the remote control car!

Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 20, 16:23:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

should be the whole programs folder write protekt?

and no, i never touch the car again, never ...

btw  writing in programs is realy bad program design ....
« Last Edit: 2005 July 20, 16:32:14 by Fantus » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 20, 16:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think that was part of the design, I think it's just a bug, probably because it's trying to write changes to the character file, not realizing that the character file is your objects.package.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 20, 16:54:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recommend write protecting the entire The Sims 2\TSData and University\TSData  trees at least. While the game doesn't seem to fark up other files (yet), you can't be too safe with EA Games "quality control".
Just remember to uncheck it if Nightlife ever comes out.
Fantus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 21, 06:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmm, some mods writes somes extra data in the character file.

is it possible, that this is a combination of a bug / bad design of maxis and these extra data?
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 26, 03:40:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I appear to be experiencing a variant of this problem.

I have a newly-graduated Uni couple that I just moved to a lot (Maxis-made house).  6 of the male's 4 wants were blank.  The two that were not blank were to get particular jobs (military or law enforcement).  When either of the couple tried to get a job, either on the computer or by newspaper, there was only one job available -- law enforcement -- and then it said there were no more jobs available.

I replaced the objects.package file in c:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\Objects with the one from the same subdirectory in the compressed.zip folder on my Uni disk, and I marked it read-only.  When I returned to the game, the male had all 6 wants again, but there was still only one job available.  If he took the job, his two job-related wants went blank.  When he or his wife tried to get a job after that, there was still only one job available (still law enforcement). 

These two never owned the remote control car at Uni and do not have it in their new home.  The female was born into the game, the product of a CAS-made Sim and a townie; she never had the remote control car in her family home.  The male was a teen townie who was sent to Uni.

Thoughts?

Thanks much,

Phyllis

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 26, 13:35:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the same bug appear in a greek house, also no icon on the sim if he went to class or campus, but then I went to another non-greek house which only had Darren Dreamer living there, and the same thing was happening.  I didn't know the car caused problems, so I yanked out my entire Sims2 folder and reinstalled, then moved the folder bacc in,and so far no problems.  I will write protect those files, though!

Zephyr Zodiac
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 04, 14:34:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just developed this problem ~ blank work-related icons (or those scratching lines replacing them in thought balloons), no work clothes, pregnant Sims in their own jammies, etc. ~ so I'm thrilled to find the answer right here. Thanks!!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 04, 14:54:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Hairfish!  Glad to see you around!

Zephyr Zodiac
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 21, 20:38:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you, ZZ. Obviously, I don't get around here much, but I seem have to developed a hack-addiction (dreams of ripping JMP's lips off...in a respectful way, of course), and am now hooked on the IOTD forum, as well.

And I was so good before I came here.  Shocked
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 21, 21:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(dreams of ripping JMP's lips off...in a respectful way, of course)

Well, I'm sure you could, but you'd have to get to him first.  If you could somehow navigate JM's Maze of Infinite Hurting and then hurtle over his torch lamps (not the sissy ones; the ones with REAL flames), then--assuming you don't get gunned down by his German tank--you'll be home-free.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 21, 21:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would appeal to his fellow fishness for safe passage.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 21, 22:29:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think LK knows what she's talking about - having lot 4 pairs of lips to date! 

But, truly, Hairfish, it really is nice to see you, I haven't had a chat with you since sims1!  (Well, MM, anyway!)  Can I just say how much my sims like your lovely new Crayon colors Bathroom stuff?

Zephyr Zodiac
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 21, 23:07:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently, you canWink Thank you!
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 22, 00:00:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think LK knows what she's talking about - having lot 4 pairs of lips to date! 

Unfortunately, I do know what I'm talking about in that respect--except that I'm a guy.   Wink  I'd make a terrible girl, and I'm the first to admit it.  I have no fashion sense, I detest shoe shopping, and I the only thing I know how to cook is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, although sometimes--in the interest of time and effort--I reduce it to a peanut butter sandwich.  However, I have taken a liking to legume butter sandwiches, too.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 22, 00:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do apologize, LK - I think it's because I knew a female with those initials, and I didn't stop to think!

And Hairfish, I should have said May I, not Can I , shouldn't I!!!!

Zephyr Zodiac
LK
Terrible Twerp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 22, 00:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do apologize, LK - I think it's because I knew a female with those initials, and I didn't stop to think!

It's OK--I thought it was funny. 

Of course, I'd laugh at anything, including a deer caracas.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 22, 00:39:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, I'd laugh at anything, including a deer caracas.

What's one of those?

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: