More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:27:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What's Blocking Their Path?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's Blocking Their Path?  (Read 30966 times)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: What's Blocking Their Path?
« Reply #25 on: 2005 July 22, 05:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try replacing all your kitchen with new appliances and counters?  It could be the same as the problem you get with sofas, where a visitor leaves without properly quitting the sofa, and thereafter no-one can sit on that part of the sofa, and they can't nap there etc.  If you sell everything and build a new kitchen, it might solve the problem.

Zephyr Zodiac
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 July 22, 05:52:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still say you should set more stuff on fire.

From now on, that will be my official tech support response. I will also look into making it into a t-shirt. It would be a good item on thinkgeek.com. Go well with "No, I will not fix your computer."
Ten Tigers
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 July 22, 07:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still think it may just be sims autonymously picking stupid places to start kicky-bag matches, but if all else fails, I'm fairly certain that your actual gaming computer is quite flammable.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 July 22, 11:32:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I hope Ancient Sim sorts this out soon, if only to prevent another argument!  I just wish we could ban kickybags from the game altogether - they don't build fun up particularly fast, kids can't join in what is essentially something that is a kids' game, and the whole activity is irreparably flawed!

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 July 22, 12:06:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I hope Ancient Sim sorts this out soon, if only to prevent another argument!  I just wish we could ban kickybags from the game altogether - they don't build fun up particularly fast, kids can't join in what is essentially something that is a kids' game, and the whole activity is irreparably flawed!

I agree, I get nervous when I hear of new bugs. I don't have much free time to play, and I hate to lose neighborhoods, lots, or sims I've worked hard on to a stupid game-bug. It makes it seem like such a waste of time, which is one thing I truly hate.

I also agree on the kicky-bag (which is actually a hacky-sack). Although it has a positive point in that it keeps several people occupied playing and watching, while raising relationships and fun ever so slightly, in the long run the negatives clearly outweigh the positives. If I had a choice, I would eliminate (or burninate) the whole thing altogether.

Ancient, if you get any news or updates on this irritating bug, please keep us up-to-date. I would appreciate it very much indeed (and I'm guessing so would many more).

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 July 22, 13:04:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still say you should set more stuff on fire.

From now on, that will be my official tech support response. I will also look into making it into a t-shirt. It would be a good item on thinkgeek.com. Go well with "No, I will not fix your computer."

Man, I wish i could set that as my official tech support response. Sadly im pretty dang sure my boss would fire me in 5 seconds flat, if i started saying that... Seing as how im working on an Internet Hotline, where I on a Daily basis have to help people with a bit of tech support... Its a cruel cruel world.

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2005 July 22, 13:31:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I know it's not a kicky-bag or hacky-sack or whatever it is (never heard of them or seen them in my life before I got University!) unless it's not being picked-up by the lot debugger, neither is it a stuck cellphone unless TwoJeffs' mod isn't finding it, and I can't think of anything else that would get stuck. 

I started fires on every single tile in the kitchen, including under the fridge.  They raged for hours, but no change.  I deleted the mascot's tombstone, no change.  I then moved the row of counters back one space and the offending counter became usable, but the fridge still wasn't.  I replaced the counter with the fridge and it could be used (before only the smaller fridge could be used when I did this, which suggests that maybe the mystery item has moved slightly?).  I then swopped the fridge with the counter containing the dishwasher and espresso machine.  The Sims could make espresso, but they couldn't use or mend the dishwasher.  The fridge was usable as normal.  I then put the cooker where the fridge normally goes and that couldn't be used.  Finally, with the fridge in its normal position I moved it 45 degrees each way.  When it faced towards the front of the kitchen (towards the cooker) it was usable.  When it faced the other way (towards the back of the kitchen, where the line of counters is) it wasn't.

This may seem like a silly question, but does the debugger remove ALL kicky bags, or just those on ground level?  I am beginning to wonder if there is a kicky bag stuck in mid-air somewhere that it isn't picking-up, although that wouldn't explain why they can stand in that space and make espresso.  I suppose I'm just going to have to accept defeat because I've run out of ideas. 
« Last Edit: 2005 July 22, 15:47:07 by Ancient Sim » Logged

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 July 22, 15:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play now in Strangetown too. Which dorm it is (number of rooms). Although I never put my sim in dorms - I am curious to see that dorm.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2005 July 22, 15:50:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play now in Strangetown too. Which dorm it is (number of rooms). Although I never put my sim in dorms - I am curious to see that dorm.
It's the one with 9 rooms, a flat one on the right in the middle.  Can't remember the name of it.  I doubt it would happen for you though, because as I said everything was fine until recently.  I have come to the conclusion that something is stuck in mid-air, but what it is I have no idea, especially as the Sims are able to stand in the offending position, they just can't walk across it.  It's the weirdest glitch I've ever come across because there's just no explanation for it. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 July 22, 16:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may be on to something with the ghost of the llama mascot.  I was trying to do some renovation at the Spectre house in Strangetown -- home of many ghosts.  There were 3 floor tiles (separate, not all in a row) that I could not for the life of me remove or put a wall contiguous to.  I finally gave up and exited without saving, deciding the renovations were not meant to be.  Upon returning to the house and playing, I noticed that after nightfall ghosts appeared at two of the three spots, eventually going outside and retiring to their tombstones.  I then tried to renovate again.  The two tiles where the ghosts had appeared could now be dealt with, but the 3rd was still unchangable.  I played the house some more until a ghost appeared one night at the third tile and went outside.  After that, I could change/build around that tile as well.

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 July 22, 18:21:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"It's the one with 9 rooms, a flat one on the right in the middle." (ancient)

Yes, I found it. What I can tell - it's auful arranged. Perhaps until now you didn't have problems, because you didn't have 2 sims at once to go there.

There is only 1 square between the fridge and the opposite countes. It's OK if one sim moves there, but two sims will shout  very loud that they can't pass.

On the other end of the counters, opposite the entrance,  there is a plant-pot, which prevents  anybody to enter the kitchen from that side. So you have 1 square for 2 sims to move - and that's impossible.

I made the kitchen corner wider (3 sqares between fridge and counters), moved the plant-pot aside, to make another entrance, and deleted several chairs, which too may cause jam.

Lol, now I remember my first play of TS1. I put in the shower only 1 door. One sim wanted to enter, and the maid inside wanted to get out - they began to shout at each other; it was very funny, but  from then on I put in each shower 2 doors...Smiley.

I will put some students there, and observe the movement. Even if you say that until now all went OK - I am positively sure that the arrangement of the kitchen is "outrageous"...Smiley. And this dorm has NINE rooms (9 sims) - who can move there? Perhaps only Maxis...Smiley.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 2005 July 22, 18:30:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may be on to something with the ghost of the llama mascot. 
I think so, too.  Your post reminded me that when I had this problem in the Spectre house, a ghost had very recently been into the fridge.  Anyway, I went back to the dorm and spawned the mascot ghost.  I watched very carefully what he did when he went to the fridge.  He opened it (NOTE THIS - THE GHOST CAN OPEN THE FRIDGE), looked in it and shut it again.  He then turned to face me and waved his hands around, moaning about someone not being 'family'.  He then turned towards the problem counter, then forward again, then disappeared.  I am seriously wondering if he is leaving something behind when he disappears, rather like teleporting when sitting down can render a chair unusable.  I also noticed that Sims can face this counter to remove plates from it, they just can't be put there in the first place. 

Anyway, to go back to what I said earlier - how come the ghost can open the fridge, but the Sims can't?  I did check after the ghost had vanished and they still couldn't open it.  Maybe we need something to "zap ghostly remnants" or something, because I am beginning to think that's what is causing this, especially with it also happening in the Spectre kitchen.  I honestly don't think it's the layout - OK, it's bad, but I have had several Sims in that kitchen before and it's not caused a problem, and the dorm cook can't put plates on that counter even when he's on his own in there.  Also, as I said earlier, even when I move the counters completely out of the way, the fridge still can't be used, nor can the dishwasher be used or mended when it's in the same position as the fridge.  Moreover, the first time I noticed this problem was when a YA wanted to cook a meal and moaned about not being able to access the fridge.  At the time, there was no one in the kitchen and the dorm cook had already left for the night.  It was also about that time (probably the same night) that the ghost appeared for the first time.  Having covered all possibilities, I am now more or less convinced that the ghost is the cause of this, especially as he is perfectly capable of opening the fridge.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 July 22, 18:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a problem very similar happen to me and I dont know what causes it. The space gets warped somehow. What I mean is I have noticed that occasionally for whatever reason if I go into build mode and try to do something I get an error about terrain not level or something, then I turn on the elevation cheat and find that an area has mysteriously warped for some reason. Its usually just a tile or two that is dipped and I can straighten it out with the level.

This almost always happened because of ghosts being on the lot, but I seem to remember it happening a few times to lots where I didnt keep the tombstone and I was simply culling certain townies etc..
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 July 22, 18:50:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sheesh, okay, so now my paranoia is running rampant. First I read Brynne's post about the lamp and now yours, Ancient and Phyllis, and now I'm seriously considering not playing any of my haunted lots at all. That is until JM (or TJ) come up with a fix for that.

Hopefully that can be done. I have made up my mind while typing this: as it is now, I'm not touching the lots again until I find out if there are remedies. These bugs have the tendency to turn into monsters, and I am far to fond of my village to risk its existence.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 July 22, 19:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient, when you spawned the ghost and saw him, couldn't you delete him with moveobjects on? Or "remove visitors" with Inge's teleporter?

And did you try to replace the fridge and the counter with new ones? 'objects in use' can be moved only with moveobjects on.

I am glad you found the problem, but still that kitchen is very ugly arranged...Smiley.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 2005 July 22, 19:48:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ancient, when you spawned the ghost and saw him, couldn't you delete him with moveobjects on? Or "remove visitors" with Inge's teleporter?

And did you try to replace the fridge and the counter with new ones? 'objects in use' can be moved only with moveobjects on.

I am glad you found the problem, but still that kitchen is very ugly arranged...Smiley.
Deleting the ghost doesn't help, it wouldn't if he has left traces of himself behind.  I've also completely replaced everything in the kitchen.  The fridge is new, so is the counter.  I think the key to this is the fact that the ghost is perfectly capable of opening the fridge. 

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 July 22, 19:57:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I deleted the mascot's tombstone, no change.

If you deleted his tombstone, then his ghost shouldn't be appearing anymore, should it?

It sounds like the ghost has taken up residence in that floor tile somehow .....

I'd be tempted to deleted the ghost's character file, but from what I've been reading here on the forum that could be problematic if you don't delete everyone's memories of him as well.

Curiouser and curiouser ......

Edited to add:  I was just looking at the thread on being scared by a lamp (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=89.0), and it made me wonder if you'd tried the updated lot debugger?
« Last Edit: 2005 July 22, 20:10:16 by phyllisp » Logged

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
HRH Posie
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2005 July 22, 20:13:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you deleted his tombstone, then his ghost shouldn't be appearing anymore, should it?

It sounds like the ghost has taken up residence in that floor tile somehow .....

I'd be tempted to deleted the ghost's character file, but from what I've been reading here on the forum that could be problematic if you don't delete everyone's memories of him as well.

Curiouser and curiouser ......

Before learning that installing houses with families was a problem, I too had a issues with floor tiles.  I was playing my favourite house and ran into problems so I deleted the family & lot and installed a backup copy.  Unfortunately I had exported the lot whilst a ghost was roaming around the house.  The lot therefore had a lamp that would scare the maid and cause the children to sleep in mid air instead of their beds.  On closer inspection it appeared that the floor tile, the bedside cabinet and lamp were all affected.  As the house was nicely furnished and had custom paintings, I exported the lot and installed just the lot using the Clean Installer.  Even then the stuck floor tile, table and lamp remained.  Whilst I could delete the objects with moveobjects, nothing would free the floor tile.  Only removing the family from the initial house and then moving them back in resolved my issues.

In a clean neighbourhood I tried importing the lot without the family and I had the same issues.  Whatever caused the lamp to be possessed still remained.  I moved in a new sim and she too had issues in the bugged room namely the strange warping and sleeping in mid air.  I've since restarted the game and everything is fine.  However I have no ghosts  Wink

"Does nothing work outside of London? Hmm? Apparently not." Natasha Glenville, Bridget Jones
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 2005 July 22, 21:25:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edited to add:  I was just looking at the thread on being scared by a lamp (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=89.0), and it made me wonder if you'd tried the updated lot debugger?
I only deleted the gravestone temporarily, I didn't save.  The "ghost emitter" option in the debugger is interesting (whatever it is), but it doesn't show-up in my game.  I have what appears to be the current version, updated 20th July.  Can't see anything more up-to-date than that.  Back I go into the game to try yet another time ...

Well, it gets more intriguing.  When the dorm cook was moaning again about not being able to put his plate on the counter, I picked him up and stood him in front of the thing (and swore at him).  He put it down quite happily, then suddenly 'came to', realised where he was, jumped back and started moaning that he couldn't access it again.  I've noticed that several of them 'jump' off this spot, which suggests the ghost connection again - must have been a delayed reaction as he had nothing to put on it anymore.  I did finally see the fix fridge tile thing come up, but unfortunately it didn't alter anything.   What is really odd is that I found 4 stray graduated YA's on the lot (not revealed by Merola's Mirror or Inge's Teleporter Plus).  They left the lot like ten neighbourhood years ago.  Needless to say, getting rid of them made no difference either.  I even brought the mascot back to life with the Resurrector, but that didn't alter anything, so I will be re-instating my back-up so he's dead again, because I am positive that he is the key to this.  There has to be a reason why he is the only one who can open the fridge in the position it's in.
« Last Edit: 2005 July 22, 23:55:30 by Ancient Sim » Logged

knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 July 23, 02:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK STUPIDITY ALERT HERE<
but i've got a hacky sack prob and i downloaded the fix, but i'm not sure how to use it to debug my house, what exactly do you have to click on or whatever?

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Countess
baratron
Heretic
Knuckleheaded Knob

I love Pokemon! Thus I am a Heretic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: 2005 July 23, 19:59:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK STUPIDITY ALERT HERE<
but i've got a hacky sack prob and i downloaded the fix, but i'm not sure how to use it to debug my house, what exactly do you have to click on or whatever?
You downloaded the Lot Debugger? It's a buyable item, in Misc/Misc. You place it somewhere on your lot, then click it, and "Nuke kicky bags" should be an option if your prob is stuck kicky bags.

Did you try replacing all your kitchen with new appliances and counters?  It could be the same as the problem you get with sofas, where a visitor leaves without properly quitting the sofa, and thereafter no-one can sit on that part of the sofa, and they can't nap there etc.  If you sell everything and build a new kitchen, it might solve the problem.
I hate that bug! Hate hate hate it! I've redesigned one of the dorms in my Strangetown uni and I want to copy that dorm to my Pleasantview uni. However, I'm not sure how to "clean" the dorm to make it safe to copy. I've found that moving playable sims out of the dorm isn't enough to "clean" it for a new family - the Myne doors are left with the old playable sims' claims on them, so new ones can't claim them until I boolprop enable Build Mode to replace the doors. Plus, playing sims that live in a dorm gets expensive when chairs and beds are randomly left with the ghostly imprints of sims there - I find myself deleting "stuck" objects with move_objects on every sim day.

So, bearing in mind that it's a bad idea to copy houses that are packaged with a family to a new neighbourhood, I haven't dared try to copy the dorm file across to my other uni, because there's obviously something stopping them from "cleaning" out old sim information. I'm wondering if J.M. or anyone else has some advice. Could I, f'instance, boolprop force the lot to Community to "clean" it, then boolprop it back to Dorm? (sounds potentially hazardous)

* Pescado is batshit crazy, and thus it's not safe to say what he could or would do. Tongue

Pescado: You're a weird and freaky Baratron.
Pescado: Also, all Baratrons suck.

Read my Sims 2 stories!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 July 23, 20:01:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If an object is "stuck" in use, like a chair, the easiest way to reset the chair is to Force Error on the stuck chair. Note that for couches, you have to force the error on the specifically stuck piece of couch.

And if you send me unsolicited error logs about forced errors, I will slap you.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 July 24, 00:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Banned On Rentech.com!

http://www.rentech.com

JM, I'm surprised to find this South African alternative energy website has even heard of you, and why on earth would they ban you?

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: