More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 19:28:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Mrs. Crumplebottom Vampire. Her true calling?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mrs. Crumplebottom Vampire. Her true calling?  (Read 37866 times)
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: Mrs. Crumplebottom Vampire. Her true calling?
« Reply #25 on: 2005 September 24, 10:07:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

About replacing the objects.package, I'm guessing the one on the Nightlife cd is called objects09.package since it's the closest I can find, do I just copy that and rename it or am I completely off the mark?  I've never done this before  Undecided
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 September 24, 10:13:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any valid reason (other than a Maxis patch release) why this file should not be read-only?

That could cause the app to crash, depending on how robust the code is (and you can probably guess that).

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 September 24, 10:15:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the game is crashing because it actually tried to write to a read-only file, it's probably better off that way.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 September 24, 10:16:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The NL objects.package is inside compressed.zip on the second disc.

FYI, marking the file "read-only" has not caused a crash in Uni, I've had it marked as such for months.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 September 24, 10:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The NL objects.package is inside compressed.zip on the second disc.

FYI, marking the file "read-only" has not caused a crash in Uni, I've had it marked as such for months.

Thanks so much Jordi!
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 September 24, 11:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have notified some people here of the problem, but it would be good if you submitted a bug report as well (using the form on the official bbs), just to let them know that users have encountered the problem.

I think MaxoidTom deserves another round of appreciation.

Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 September 24, 16:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look at the modification date.  Compare it against when you installed NL or extract objects.package from the NL installation cd and compare the sizes.

Uh-oh.  I just encountered this one myself.  The file is 2,578 KB bigger than the install version, and the modification date is today at 11 AM.  I noticed the "hang out" icon wasn't showing right, and I remembered this thread.

My first indication that anything was wrong was the abnormal end of a date.  My Sim had returned from the downtown lot with his date still in progress, and then he had to go to his final - I hadn't been watching his clock closely.  This ended his date, but the "go to class" icon was a blue blob like "clean puddle."  Of course that may not be the actual cause of the file corruption.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
MaxoidTom
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 September 24, 17:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*sigh* this is bad.  It may corrupt your objects.package file.  I would check to see if that has happened.

Before NightLife, I ran the game for several months with the objects.package file marked as read-only.  That seemed to prevent large amounts of weirdness and bugs.  I've now done the same thing with the NightLife objects.package file.  Is there any valid reason (other than a Maxis patch release) why this file should not be read-only?

Marking it read-only should be fine and is a good recommended work-around for now.  For some reason the file gets marked writable during installation (I think)--I'll have to investigate.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 September 24, 17:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Marking it read-only should be fine and is a good recommended work-around for now.  For some reason the file gets marked writable during installation (I think)--I'll have to investigate.

Yay!! Thanks MaxoidTom, that's great.  Making the file read-only was my immediate thought the first time I read that the objects file was getting corrupted. 

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 September 24, 17:59:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And what about vampires randomly biting other sims, like Brandi Broke and Dina Caliente? I've read a few posts over on the BBS about this and was puzzled. I was under the impression that a sim would only be bit if they had a high enough relationship with the vampire. I'm not really into that aspect of gameplay (have very few aliens and no zombies either) so I thought if my sims avoided them like they do the child townies I wouldn't have any other vampires than the ones that came with the game. Are these incidents of "random" biting a glitch also?

I understand that if you never have a playable Sim become a vampire in a neighborhood, the grand vampire will never bite any townies, so you should never have a problem.  And the grand vampire should only bite townies, and other townies who become vampires will only bite other townies, until a maximum of 10% of townies are vampires.

You should only worry if you have a playable Sim become a vampire, in which case they might bite other playable Sims.  And a potion is available from the gypsy to cure the problem if you wish.

Hook

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 September 24, 18:10:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And what about vampires randomly biting other sims, like Brandi Broke and Dina Caliente? I've read a few posts over on the BBS about this and was puzzled. I was under the impression that a sim would only be bit if they had a high enough relationship with the vampire. I'm not really into that aspect of gameplay (have very few aliens and no zombies either) so I thought if my sims avoided them like they do the child townies I wouldn't have any other vampires than the ones that came with the game. Are these incidents of "random" biting a glitch also?

What Hook has reported has also been my experience. One further note is that the Grand Vampires seem to be able to ignore relationship requirements, a power which goes away if they become playable characters. Not *absolutely* sure on that front, but otherwise Mrs. CrumpleBottom would have been able to reject the hypnotism attempt, because technically she can't build relationship with anyone.

For once, this is a problem that Maxis warned us about. Remember in that chat? The choice word was "viral." Too true. Like diseases, vampirism spreads like a wildfire, especially (hypothetically, going to test) in a tight knit neighborhood where everyone's friends.

Have set objects.package as Read Only.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 September 24, 18:21:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do we need to change it back to writeable when we install another expansion?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 September 24, 20:16:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand that if you never have a playable Sim become a vampire in a neighborhood, the grand vampire will never bite any townies, so you should never have a problem.  And the grand vampire should only bite townies, and other townies who become vampires will only bite other townies, until a maximum of 10% of townies are vampires.

You should only worry if you have a playable Sim become a vampire, in which case they might bite other playable Sims.  And a potion is available from the gypsy to cure the problem if you wish.

Hook

It hasn't worked like that in my game, the first bite was when Alvin influenced the Countess to bite a downtownie, the second was at his home when she autonomously bit him (I swear I didn't know they could do that without user intervention so I kind of panicked lol).  After that she and the Count have made a few new vamps autonomously out of downtownies.  I think once you give the vamps a taste of sim, that's when they start multiplying like roaches.

Tom
I'm glad you are still around, your posts here have helped me more than you know. Wink
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 September 24, 20:22:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you don't have the Prima guide, check out this link for the info on vampires copied from the guide:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/thesims2/1284926.html

Hook

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 September 24, 20:27:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sara: No you shouldn't need to change it back if they follow the pattern they've done so far. Each expansion has it's own objects.package and I believe the game will use the objects.package file that belongs to the most recent expansion installed and ignore the others.

re Vamps biting other sims: They don't just do townies, they do service npcs too. In my neighborhood that darned countess bit a waitress and so now she high tails it the hell out of there when dawn hits.  Tongue

I think they made the vampires a little bit bite crazy, and although they have to be very good friends to bite your sim, they are perfectly happy to bite total strangers among the townies and service npcs. And Mrs. Crumplebottom is obviously a stranger to everyone since it's impossible to have a relationship with her. Seems like they just bite anything that moves.  Tongue

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 September 24, 21:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if we have problems with memories, should we extract all three objects files and make them all read only?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MaxoidTom
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 September 24, 22:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do we need to change it back to writeable when we install another expansion?

No, that should not be necessary for new expansion packs.  For patches, we should handle it on our side, but if there is ever a problem patching, you may want to make it writable and then make it readonly again after the patching process.
MaxoidTom
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 September 24, 22:11:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if we have problems with memories, should we extract all three objects files and make them all read only?

You should only need to extract the objects.package from the latest expansion pack.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 September 24, 23:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they made the vampires a little bit bite crazy, and although they have to be very good friends to bite your sim, they are perfectly happy to bite total strangers among the townies and service npcs.

In my neighborhood, once the virus started spreading, the Count was biting my sims (not townies nor NPCs) that were "visiting" the downtown lot while I was controlling other sims. One sim, Emma, was made into a vampire this way. When I went to load her at her lot, she was outside in the middle of the day (from the last lot save) and her needs weren't that high to begin with. Barely was able to get her inside before she turned to ashes. 

That night, I had Emma call the Count for a date - figured they could at least have dinner together after he bit her. He rejected the date and then I checked their relationship numbers. She had a 12/7 for him. So the Count didn't need a high relationship number in order to bite her.

Whenever I've tried to influence a vampire to bite another sim, the bite has been rejected if the relationship score wasn't high enough but this doesn't seem to be true for the autonomous biting that is going on.
Zythe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 September 24, 23:03:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Idiots on the BBS are claiming that this thread doesn't exist, and that we are all liars. They probably can't handle that bugs exist so freely in the game, becuase Maxis are above human and can't make mistakes, clearly.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 September 24, 23:13:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well tell them Bella Goth is really a vampire countess and she bit Mrs. Crumplebottom and then they'd believe it.  Roll Eyes

SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 September 24, 23:32:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You found BELLA??!!!??!!  Grin

INTJ
Azkar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 September 25, 00:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Idiots on the BBS are claiming that this thread doesn't exist, and that we are all liars. They probably can't handle that bugs exist so freely in the game, becuase Maxis are above human and can't make mistakes, clearly.
Well, of course they can't find this thread.  They probably can't afford the monthly subscription ..
jfade
Obtuse Oaf

Esteemed Senator Emeritus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: 2005 September 25, 02:23:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

re Vamps biting other sims: They don't just do townies, they do service npcs too. In my neighborhood that darned countess bit a waitress and so now she high tails it the hell out of there when dawn hits.

Well, hopefully this can help. I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to test what type of NPC a person is (if any) so that I could add to the Bite Neck test BHAV a check to see if a sim is a NPC to prevent vampires (Yours or otherwise) from biting them. I finally found another social that showed how the game tests NPC type well enough for me to copy the method, and I've come up with this:

It basically checks to see if the person about to be bitten is an NPC of any type, and if they are, it prevents the menu from being shown. It's working great in my game, and if anyone would like to test it, here's the link to the zip:

http://beta.djssims.com/djsvampiresnobitenpcs.zip

Thanks in advance! Smiley

Nifty Sims hacks and programs at: DJS Sims
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 September 25, 03:32:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh great, I'll try it out. Thanks!

I wonder if Mrs. Crumplebottom is considered an npc for the purposes of preventing being bitten.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: