More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 23, 16:16:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Lighting not affecting objects
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lighting not affecting objects  (Read 4146 times)
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Lighting not affecting objects
« on: 2007 January 25, 10:36:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

None of my problems with this game are the sort that generate error logs. I'm sorry Tongue

Occasionally, objects in a rooms in a house I have go dark, like they're in a window-less unlit room. But they aren't. The floor is bright, the sims walking around are well-lit. Turning the lights on and off doesn't help. Removing/replacing the lights doesn't help. All that helps is picking up the objects themselves and putting them back down, but that doesn't last.

It's annoying because it's a fairly big room with a lot of furniture in (not stupidly huge - it's only a 3x1 lot, and a third of that is garden! XD) Does anyone know of a hack that would cause this error? I'm just not sure what to look for - I don't believe I've ever downloaded something that affects lights (not counting custom lights - could they be the culprits?) It's not a big deal, but I would prefer it not to happen. Smiley
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Lighting not affecting objects
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 25, 11:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have any help to offer, other than to ask for some clarification that may allow someone more knowledgeable to offer better assistance. 

Is it all objects, or only certain types.  If for instance, it is just furniture (couch, chairs, loveseat), is it all of those types of objects or only certain ones.  Is it only happening in one room, on only one lot?
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 25, 11:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's only in that one room (that I've noticed - some houses have poorly lit dungeon-type basements, but I guess there it doesn't matter).

It's every piece of furniture, also windows (I forgot about that until now). I'm not sure if it affects the lights themselves :/ And I can't remember what it did to the doors. Sorry I didn't include that :/

The room is pretty strange, I don't know if that would affect it? It's got a shop in one corner, separated from the main part of the room by counters. That part of the room is entered through a door. The rest of the room (including behind that counter) is accessed through a household-only gate from the corridor that has the shop door in. Going through that room is the only way to get outside, which is the only way to get into the basement or onto the roof. (I think a screenshot may be more helpful, it's a very strange house, but I don't even know if this has anything to do with it - if it is I'll get one Smiley)
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 25, 11:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to get the weird shadowy effect in my old greek house-even though the lights were on, the room would be in shadowy darkness. It fixed it to zoom as close in as I could using the mouse wheel then zoom back out again. Annoyed me to no end, so I moved them into a new greek house Grin

Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 25, 11:57:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, so you think it's just something up with that lot? I guess I'll just live with it, then - that lot took a while to build and there's a business. Unless anyone has a fix? *still hopeful* Tongue
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 25, 12:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you use Gunmod's radience light system? I had problems with that 'blacking out' objects in certain rooms, so I removed it and the problem has not returned since.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 25, 12:50:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That happens to me with some beds- some custom beds are always very dark at night, no matter how many lights I put in. Do you think maybe it has to do with the lot placement (sunlight comes from only 2 sides) and window placement. That's all, I know, just random ideas but maybe it'll be of some use.
*edit: I recall something similar happening before, my some of the objects would go almost pitch black, and picking them up and putting them back only worked temporarily. It was the first of the many graphics glitches I had. I solved them (the other way-more irritating glitches) by changing my drivers and cleaning out my downloads folder. Dunno which one did it but it was annoying. Maybe it's a lot-specific glitch.
Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 25, 13:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you use Gunmod's radience light system? I had problems with that 'blacking out' objects in certain rooms, so I removed it and the problem has not returned since.

Nope - I didn't like the way the water looked, I'm pretty sure I didn't get that one. However that's just based on a quick search for anything starting with G, R or L that looked like it could be that. I often forget that I have replacement default eyes, for example XD If it has a filename starting with one of those, I don't have it. Smiley

That happens to me with some beds- some custom beds are always very dark at night, no matter how many lights I put in. Do you think maybe it has to do with the lot placement (sunlight comes from only 2 sides) and window placement. That's all, I know, just random ideas but maybe it'll be of some use.
*edit: I recall something similar happening before, my some of the objects would go almost pitch black, and picking them up and putting them back only worked temporarily. It was the first of the many graphics glitches I had. I solved them (the other way-more irritating glitches) by changing my drivers and cleaning out my downloads folder. Dunno which one did it but it was annoying. Maybe it's a lot-specific glitch.

I don't think it's that. I'll have a look at my drivers but I think they're ok. I've had issues like that in the past, like see-through floor grids and whatever, and those were driver problems. This is weird because it seems to be one lot and one room inside that lot. I really, really don't want to have to do anything else with my downloads folder. (I've sworn off downloading things I don't love and I'm deleteing things I don't use with an aim of getting down to 3000 files :X)

I'm not sure it's to do with placement, as there's two other rooms with windows on that side and they're ok. Thanks for the input anyway (everyone) Smiley
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 25, 13:13:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you use Numenor's CEP?  If you do, and you haven't updated it recently, since Pets, the previous version offered the option of installing Gunmod's light system with the CEP.  The current one no longer does, but if you have CEP 4 you might try reinstalling it, you should receive an option on whether to install the light mod or not.

But I don't think it sounds like the light mod, because that should cause all interior rooms to appear dark, and it wouldn't just affect the objects, but the floors, walls, and sims as well.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 26, 11:56:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that problem with one of the rooms in Emma's Upside Down house - I thought it might have something to do with the way the upper story/roof was constructed, since it seems like the game thinks that objects in that room are actually outside (judging by the lighting). I had the problem in the kitchen of my legacy house when I was doing some remodelling.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: