More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 23:41:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Paypal Robbery
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Paypal Robbery  (Read 19324 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Paypal Robbery
« on: 2007 January 16, 23:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So Paypal is suddenly claiming nonsense about some "unauthorized third party" allegedly accessing the account and is attempting to steal our money.

All parties interested in assisting in the recovery effort report to the #warroom.

More information and recommended course of action as it breaks.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Paypal Robbery
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 17, 00:08:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it came in an email, open it up with "View Source."  I'll bet real money that I don't have that the "link to PayPal" is really some other crap where they're trying to steal your info.

I get them all the time.  If they look real, I switch to a browser not affiliated with my email program and visit PayPal myself.

You can also forward suspect emails to spoof@paypal.com
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 17, 00:12:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, any true Paypal URL will be on a secure server, so if the link doesn't begin with 'https' then it is a bogus link.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 17, 00:18:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's definitely not a fake-mail, I hand-punched to Paypal itself to verify this. If they do not resolve the matter and unfreeze my account, I will be forced to authorize more drastic responses.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 17, 00:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a headfuck...after 2 days I finally get back here and was looking into donating.  Forget the fact that I can't work the paypal thing out for the life of me, but they have frozen the account anyway?? 
It's too early in the morning for this sort of shit..  Tongue

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 17, 01:28:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anything we can do to help?
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 17, 04:41:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll not #grah cos I haven't a clue.. but my moolah best have made it into your sweaty hands esp. since I sent enough to insure that PP got it's cut and I got a title ;-)

Grrrr!!! I've never had trouble with PP before.. but have heard Ebay/PP horror stories.

Please let us know if you need addies/receipts to insure you get all what we wanted you to have.

This really cheeses me.. I'm one of those who never would consider paying for any CC .. but to support a site that keeps my game running and has cool mods.. hell yeah!  MTS2 is my next choice to send a little mad money to..  which will have to wait a few months to allow me to build up my mad money again.. feeding extra cats and paying for WoW for my boyz eats that green stuff.

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 17, 05:29:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, here's the deal:

Anyone who sent payments to tokenhoarder@victoryismine.org should immediately file for a refund. I will attempt to issue any refund requests received so the money can be retried. If I can't, escalate the matter to a dispute. Let's see how they like being pelted in 20-30 claims.

Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 17, 06:14:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, here's the deal:

Anyone who sent payments to tokenhoarder@victoryismine.org should immediately file for a refund. I will attempt to issue any refund requests received so the money can be retried. If I can't, escalate the matter to a dispute. Let's see how they like being pelted in 20-30 claims.

Whew! I''m a "allvirgal" etc donator... PP best have a good explanation for this!  Guess  they're not used to generosity.  Go fishy!

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 17, 06:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That may end up as a problem at some later date, we're trying to flush out of Paypal as fast as possible and hopefully onto a server. Right now, 1.1K of emergency slush fund has been transferred over to Bobblehead, of which all AVS donators as of 01/09 were included. If we can raise another 1K on the Bobblehead, we can still get the server and slug this out with Paypal at a more leisurely pace.

Also the following people:
GayJohnScarritt
Cwykes
Sloppyhousewife
Twain
Random Person Who The Bobblehead is Emailing

Should all complain immediately to their credit card companies.
« Last Edit: 2007 January 17, 13:25:17 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 17, 17:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So is the credit card money being withheld as well?  There's no point me phoning my credit card company call centre.  I know they are useless even when their systems are up and at the moment they aren't - two international calls about something stupid today already.  I have put in a polite request for info on paypal's European complaint form.  Always start by being nice Grin  If you want to talk to me direct, use my e-mail address for mail or msn.  I never figured out the IRC stuff.
« Last Edit: 2007 January 17, 17:46:04 by cwykes » Logged

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 17, 21:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Umm I wouldn't complain to the credit card company - this is not a credit card issue.  I would still put a dispute through Paypal, and then immediately escalate to a claim.  This forces Paypal to get involved and if Pescado doesn't respond within 7 days (and he won't), then they are forced to issue a refund.  If he no longer has the money in that account to cover it, that's their problem.  They're the ones holding the money.
PattyB
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 January 17, 22:01:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is anyone else having issues with PayPal? I try to do a dispute and it wants to automatically escalate it to a claim. When I try to do that, I keep getting an error 3005.

Not at all awesome
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 January 18, 00:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked my account and it shows the payment was completed, sent to allvirgalissuck - so I am going on the premise I don't have to raise hell at PayEnemy.

Blue, you can ignore the email I sent you (if you even go it) since I managed to get on here.  Harvested your address from PMBD, even though I've never registered there.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 January 18, 10:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my payment was completed too.  That's the problem, we've paid and pescado can't get the money.  So if you want your money back, you have to claim it.

So where do we make a new payment to?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 18, 16:03:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same question here

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Minena
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 19, 00:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

blearg
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 January 19, 00:34:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

my payment was completed too.  That's the problem, we've paid and pescado can't get the money.  So if you want your money back, you have to claim it.

File a claim anyway, apparently if I fail to respond in 10 days, they automatically decide in your favor. Since I can't actually respond, and I'm not going to, they should autosettle in your favor.

dDefinder
Blathering Buffoon

An Acronym

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 January 19, 04:10:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

makes it wonder wonder why my sister never uses paypal..
http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

No matter what variables there are, it all adds up to total and all-encompassing tedium.
Baronetess
snowyrat
Asinine Airhead

Save the kittun!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 January 23, 04:45:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used the allvirgalis address, my paypal shows the transaction completed on 14.01.
Should I file a claim? Or could you retrieve the money from that account?
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 January 23, 04:52:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

snowyrat, you're fine. Smiley
Baronetess
snowyrat
Asinine Airhead

Save the kittun!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 January 23, 05:01:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for a nice compliment...  Roll Eyes
Is it my looks you like the best, or is it rather the personality? Wink
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 January 23, 05:42:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the first time I have been able to access the site since last Wednesday, so I'm late in responding.  I sent a donation using the virgali email address, and want to verify that the funds were received as I intended.  Please let me know whether I need to pursue the issue with Paypal, or you received the donation.

I can provide you the transaction # if that would help.  Paypal shows that the transaction was completed.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 January 23, 06:16:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, here's the deal:

Hrm... As per BlueSoup's email, I have filed a dispute. However, it will not let me escalate the claim!
ESCALATE!!!!!! FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dammit. Tongue

Anyhew, I will keep trying to click the retry link and hopefully it will eventually go through. Stupid PayPal. Angry

Ste

EDIT: Hrm... I started from scratch and it worked this time.  Apparently, it didn't like the fact that I mentioned you were a dumbass in the message as BlueSoup suggested. Heh. Cheesy
« Last Edit: 2007 January 23, 06:21:29 by syberspunk » Logged

BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 January 23, 07:05:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did not suggest any such thing.  You guys are just spreading lies and propaganda. Tongue

If you donated to the Virgalissuck address, and you didn't get either an email from me, or weren't listed in the post that Pescado made in this thread, then you don't need to dispute.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: