More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 09:55:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Birthin' Babies and Genetics
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Birthin' Babies and Genetics  (Read 5564 times)
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

Spifftastically Fantabulous!

View Profile
Birthin' Babies and Genetics
« on: 2007 January 15, 07:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I understand that if you will end up with identicial children if you don't go into CAS and hit the randomizer between children. What I don't understand is quite why this helps. From what I understand, you don't even have to save your CAS sim, you just need to open CAS and hit the 'dice' to get a random sim displayed. Just close out and your kids from here on out will be okay? Or does the CAS thing need to be done every time?

Also, if you have a kid in House A, and then play House B, and they have a kid, do you still need to go into CAS to avoid getting the second child from House A as a clone of the first child?

Please speak in small words, for I am obviously not very sharp with this stuff. :}

vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
Re: Birthin' Babies and Genetics
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 15, 07:54:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that to change the personality or the look of the second sim? If it is the former then you can click on FFS Lot Debugger > Rerandomise Sim Generator to get different personalities.
Countess
eamethyst
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 15, 15:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have the Lot Debugger, do as vilia said.  Be sure to save your lot before running the generator because it will kick you out to the neighborhood screen without saving.  I usually run it before each birth, but that is probably overkill.
Horanda
Knuckleheaded Knob

I used to have to be nice

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 15, 20:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To actually answer your question (I think), whether you click the dice in CAS or use the Lot Debugger, your actions apply to that session of play, no matter how many families you play during that session. If using CAS, you need to click a significant number of times, and should click a different number of times each time. The Lot Debugger generates a random number, then generates (and discards) that number of sims.

I'm not doing too bad, considering my age and personality
Pro-freedom
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 15, 20:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You only need to rerandomise once per play session. Also, what you are trying to avoid is the "firstborn effect" where all babies born in a single family get the same personality unless you randomise between births. I don't tend to worry about the firstborn effect for actual firstborns in a family, but I will rerandomise for subsequent kids.

Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 16, 02:04:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The randomizing can be done any time before the actual birth of the baby, right? I mean, besides Brandi Broke's kid in the initial pleasantview, the specifics about kids aren't decided until the actual birth, from what I understand. I think I've got this down now. It's still a touch confusing, but.. lot debugger installed, and that's all that's really needed.

clem
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 January 17, 04:59:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Be sure to save your lot before running the generator because it will kick you out to the neighborhood screen without saving.

Glad you brought this up. Does it still do this in other people's games, even after Pets? Mine doesn't kick me out, and it appears to work still; I don't seem to be having the firstborn effect.
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 January 17, 06:20:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine kicks me out to the neighborhood when I use it...It doesnt seem to take as long as the popup would suggest though...

ISFJ
vilia
Juvenile Jackass

Robin-chwaaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 January 17, 09:41:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The randomizing can be done any time before the actual birth of the baby, right? I mean, besides Brandi Broke's kid in the initial pleasantview, the specifics about kids aren't decided until the actual birth, from what I understand. I think I've got this down now. It's still a touch confusing, but.. lot debugger installed, and that's all that's really needed.

The 3rd baby is basically a male clone of Brandi but this can be changed http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=2948.msg85355#msg85355
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 January 17, 17:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The randomizing can be done any time before the actual birth of the baby, right?

correct. 

You're going to ask about twins next aren't you..... runs and hides..... 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
Orikes
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 January 23, 12:09:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pfft. Nah. I know about twins. They're easy to deal with. I was just confused on the clone glitch. Essentially, I didn't understand that the randomizing had to be done during the same play session as the baby is born. Now I got it. I'm smurt!

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 January 24, 01:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Be sure to save your lot before running the generator because it will kick you out to the neighborhood screen without saving.

Glad you brought this up. Does it still do this in other people's games, even after Pets? Mine doesn't kick me out, and it appears to work still; I don't seem to be having the firstborn effect.

It has to kick you out, so the 15 or 8 or 24 randomly generated sims are not saved, otherwise you would be increasing your character files by whatever number everytime the randomiser runs.. I suspect yours isn't working if you are not returned to the hood.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: