More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:02:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Big Gaping Hole in Neighborhood! 3 Hours of my life... (Fixed!)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Big Gaping Hole in Neighborhood! 3 Hours of my life... (Fixed!)  (Read 4137 times)
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Big Gaping Hole in Neighborhood! 3 Hours of my life... (Fixed!)
« on: 2007 January 15, 01:04:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, so I fubared again. I spent 3 hours making an immaculate park with only maxis terrains, a few floors and at the most 10 types of plants in various colors I've tried and tested before and huge swimming pools. Oh and 2 dozen lamps and some maxis fences. I made it on a large lot (but not the largest- 5x3 I suppose). Saved and exited to neighborhood. Now there's a big black lot right in the middle of my neighborhood, and I can't click on it even to bulldoze it.

So I moved the neighborhood to my test game with no downloads, and the lot is still there, still black. When I change my viewing angle, it turns bright view, like a mirror held to the sky. (I remember that color from when I put in a lot with a hill on the back-side on a flat neighborhood, and the terrain ripped to show me what was underneath. But it was maybe 5 neighborhoods ago) Anyway, I tried changing the terrain with the terrain surgery tutorial, accomplished with no problems (I'm an expert on this now) and the big gaping black hole is still there. So I looked at the lot in Simpe, didn't see much difference compared to the other lots, and removed it from my game manually afterwards. Now I check the neighborhood looks just fine- no gaping hole!

Why did this happen? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is there any way I can save this lot?

I'll try anything to save it, or stop it from happening again. I don't want 3 hours of my life gone towards nothing (I mean, I do waste lots of time playing the sims, but I have fun dammit!)  Cry

edit:(changed title)
« Last Edit: 2007 January 17, 17:27:01 by blubug » Logged
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
Re: Big Gaping Hole in Neighborhood! 3 Hours of my life gone to waste.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 January 16, 05:19:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You weren't by any chance using the alt-tab thing?

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 January 16, 17:55:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blubug - I'm so sad for you.  I think you might try Pescado's crowbar.  It was made to get you into lots you couldn't get into, but it's not his normal elegant, safe hack!   It's posted here by Jordi
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=5438.msg156232#msg156232
I should read that thread since it looks useful too.  Taking all the downloads out when you haven't used any of them seems pointless, but do it anyway!  I found it by putting crowbar into search.  You could redo that and look a bit further than I did.

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 January 16, 19:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@ cwykes: Okay, I might try to use the crowbar, after reading some more on it. But the point of taking out my downloads was mainly because it was really full and I suspected I had reached the limit- I haven't. Now I know. But I also thought the lot may be too crowded, but I found lots more lots with gazzillions of stuff in it, mine is only one story and sparsely decorated. So I guess the game just errored in saving the lot when I was exiting to the neighborhood. Maybe I'll make the lot again if the crowbar doesn't work Smiley Thanks for your suggestions though
@giggy: what alt tab thingy? I tab in and out of my game all the time, but I'm sure this was the one time I never actually did. I made the lot in one sitting, only saved once while I was building it, and once when I was done.

*edit: Now I've read a few threads on this, it appears I have to enter the lot first to be able to use the crowbar. But it's completely unclickable. It's like the lot doesn't exist (except for the obvious black-mirror area) but I can't place an empty lot in it's place either. I'm okay with taking the lot out this once (I've accepted my bad luck) but I'm so afraid it will happen again!
« Last Edit: 2007 January 16, 19:45:25 by blubug » Logged
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 January 16, 23:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had something similar happen once. It was a residential lot that I had changed to community, but I forgot to put a phonebooth and trashcan on it before exiting and then it became unclickable. I ended up sending a sim to visit it and used the dorm tools cheat to buy as phone booth while he was there.  Then I changed it to residential and used the Insimenator to enable save. I suppose you could have a sim buy it and fix it that way, too.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
Re: Big Gaping Hole in Neighborhood! 3 Hours of my life gone to waste-NOT!
« Reply #5 on: 2007 January 17, 17:02:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, interesting. I'll try that now. Never thought of that. But my phonebooth was definately deleted, and the lot zoning wasn't changed either. Anyway, I'm off to try that.

**Edit: It worked! I had a sim visit it, go back home and it didn't work. Then I had the sim purchase the lot from home and made him go to the bad lot again, changed the position of the phone booth and trash can to their -almost-original positions (before, I had moved them against the wall of the park)and took the sim home. Now it show up perfectly in the neighborhood!

@Nec: Thanks for sharing your solution, I would have never thought of that. Hooray!
« Last Edit: 2007 January 17, 17:26:07 by blubug » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: